Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Grey posted:

I've never played a music rhythm game in VR before. Should I get Audio Shield, Beat Saber, Sound Boxing, Box VR or something else? Maybe Rez or Thumper?

As fun factor goes Beat Saber beats the poo poo out of everything out there, without even the faintest question. Box VR is second place, and is arguably a better workout just because of the motions involved to correctly trigger the beats (swings in Beat Saber vs strikes for Box VR)

Rez and Thumper are kind of their own experiences. Everyone's seen Rez before and the VR doesn't add that much (though it is neat) and Thumper is a (highly recommended) sit-down-with-controller thing but play it in flatland first to see if you like it.

At this point thanks to Beat Saber and BoxVR I can't actually recommend Soundboxing or Audioshield anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is using something like a vuze 3d 360 camera attached to a drone practical, ignoring cost for a moment? Or would your inner ear commit suicide?

Also, has anyone uses a 360 3d camera to shoot footage at all? My parents are contemplating selling our childhood home and it would be cool to archive some footage of their place before then.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is using something like a vuze 3d 360 camera attached to a drone practical, ignoring cost for a moment? Or would your inner ear commit suicide?

Also, has anyone uses a 360 3d camera to shoot footage at all? My parents are contemplating selling our childhood home and it would be cool to archive some footage of their place before then.

Call up Google and ask them how much it would cost to rent their stuff and Lightfields the whole house.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

For that kind of thing I think you'd be better off learning how to shoot photos for photogrammetry and get it 3d modelled, 360 video is rear end

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love a tactical space combat game in VR like homeworld, but I think it has to played on like a holographic table like in Lone Echo, thats on the bridge of the command ship of your fleet. Where you can look out the windows and see the real ships being represented on the holo table, see the explosions, feel the hits to your command ship etc.

I would love that, but just having a god view of the whole thing without feeling a part of it all just kinda feels dry and removed.

I've been looking for a new project to work on, so I might try this :v: I'm picturing also needing to manage your ship's energy levels ala FTL, where you can give up radar range (and thus easy visibility) for stronger weapons / shields / thrusters.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Here's a fun note about Beat Saber - debug commands allow you to move your placement. Had a friend over accidentally toss something on the keyboard between turns and found you would start the game like 200ft away from the main menu. Uninstalled, reinstalled, searched for app data before finding the arrow keys move your character and had to walk it back slowly (L and F for height).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've been looking for a new project to work on, so I might try this :v: I'm picturing also needing to manage your ship's energy levels ala FTL, where you can give up radar range (and thus easy visibility) for stronger weapons / shields / thrusters.

If you're actually considering doing this (which would be awesome), I was thinking of some things that might be interesting. Along with what you're saying about managing your ship, it would be neat to have a zero g movement system with distractions from the battle view holo table thing.

So your mothership is attacked (maybe its all drones and you're the only human in the command ship?), and stuff physically breaks around you have to replace/repair, taking your view from the battle overview. Maybe managing the energy levels and such is physically somewhere away from the battle table as well, or maybe your mainship has a powerful weapon, railgun or something that none of the ships you built/control are large enough to have, and you have to float over to that station and manually fire it if you want to use it.

Little things taking your attention away from the battle overview so you have a decision to focus on the map or focus on other tasks. Maybe even a virtual television screen that you can set to a first person view of any ship you select, to also give you something to look at. Pack all that up in a zero G movement system and I think it would be incredible.

Maybe some of that just makes it too complicated, or takes away or something I dunno, but those were just some random thoughts I had about the idea.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The pimax forums are so spicy right now

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I see a bunch of new songs uploaded to Beat Saver since yesterday. That's really cool

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nickhimself posted:

I see a bunch of new songs uploaded to Beat Saver since yesterday. That's really cool

And since Guitar Hero 3 ruined every rhythm game forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAToUqf3pc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And since Guitar Hero 3 ruined every rhythm game forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAToUqf3pc

Okay, that player is an actual Jedi :stare:.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, that player is an actual Jedi :stare:.

Jedi drummer maybe. I don't like this kind of beat saber song where you stand stationary and just flick your wrists, its not very engaging compared to what the game can be imo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
BUT LOOK AT ALL THOSE NOTES LOOK HOW HARD IT IS.

There are a few parts in that song that seem really cool and interesting, like the big sweeps where you slice through a ton of notes in a row in one smooth motion, but the spamming of shittons of small notes flicking around everywhere isn't that great.

E: out of curiosity I went back to look at the original Through The Fire and the Flames from Guitar Hero 3, and there are a surprising number of relatively easy parts. Okay they're not "easy" but compared to the hardest parts of the song, they're definitely simple and you're not likely to gently caress them up. I feel like many people making best maps of the song don't realize the importance of those easy parts, and only remember the brutally difficulty sections, so then they make the entire song brutally difficult.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 14, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rage-saq posted:

Jedi drummer maybe. I don't like this kind of beat saber song where you stand stationary and just flick your wrists, its not very engaging compared to what the game can be imo

The "I Expect you to Die" intro song on BeatSaver is the best kind of experimentation I'm looking forward to see within the custom tracks space. It has you dodging laser walls, making sure not to hit plentiful bombs and considering your every move, all while staying in the beat. It's brilliant conceptually, if rough.

There are a few parts in that song that seem really cool and interesting, like the big sweeps where you slice through a ton of notes in a row in one smooth motion, but the spamming of shittons of small notes flicking around everywhere isn't that great.

E: out of curiosity I went back to look at the original Through The Fire and the Flames from Guitar Hero 3, and there are a surprising number of relatively easy parts. Okay they're not "easy" but compared to the hardest parts of the song, they're definitely simple and you're not likely to gently caress them up. I feel like many people making best maps of the song don't realize the importance of those easy parts, and only remember the brutally difficulty sections, so then they make the entire song brutally difficult.

The worst is that most of them build tracks for Expert only. Guess that's mostly because the people who are into making the maps usually belong to that upper level of play. Kinda ruined the custom track community of Guitar Hero for me, since I'm firmly in the Medium/Hard bracket.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The hard parts of TtFatF in Guitar Hero are hard because you need to do goofy poo poo like use both hands on the frets and strum with your elbow, or have some really fast hammer-ons that if you screw up you might just die. Most of it is just a general song with reasonably regular notes, but it is really long so you're liable to get tired.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

The hard parts of TtFatF in Guitar Hero are hard because you need to do goofy poo poo like use both hands on the frets and strum with your elbow, or have some really fast hammer-ons that if you screw up you might just die. Most of it is just a general song with reasonably regular notes, but it is really long so you're liable to get tired.

“Regular song that’s really long, so you’ll probably get tired, with a few really really hard parts to keep you on your toes” sounds like it would be fuckin’ perfect for Beat Saber. Shame that the mapper just made it a giant clusterfuck of notes.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
https://i.imgur.com/UbmDCS9.jpg

Not sure how accurate that is but the Go sure looks fantastic. Amazed how close the Rift and Vive Pro are also.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 14, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If that's it, I'll sick with my Rift for now and wait for Rift 2.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
This is just how rhythm games go. Back when Stepmania first came out it was almost immediately flooded with tons of step charts that were only possible if you played the songs with your fingers.

I've played a few customs in Beat Saber that were really well done and pretty fun.

I'm also kind of hoping some people start porting over DDR songs and step charts, then adjust them accordingly. I think those could be extremely fun

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
BoxVR seems to be going in a weird direction, the new cues are loving terrible and the devs seem pretty set on keeping them.

I hope the beatsaber editor comes out soon, I'd like to design a new cardio workout.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll put in my two cents for Soundboxing. If you like dancing, making beatmaps of your favourite songs that you can then play back is a ton of fun. It's a real artform and over 200 hours I think I've gotten pretty decent at it. check the robot movements on this one, I would honestly put a lot of my songs up against a beat saber map anyday: https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/6c3128a8-4f19-11e8-a5f9-0a580a200304

By and large a lot of other people have gotten pretty good too, there are at least 10 people making great maps from all genres daily. lots more making bad maps too but the weekly charts are usually pretty good. and heck its like 6 bucks how can you really go wrong?

edit: also posting this one more time cause it never fails to make me laugh. poo poo is a serious workout. I've started putting down a yoga mat on the carpet since I'm literally drenched in sweat after 15 mins

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How the gently caress do you deal with keeping sweat out of the padding in a vr headset. Put a bandana on underneath it or something?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

How the gently caress do you deal with keeping sweat out of the padding in a vr headset. Put a bandana on underneath it or something?

I have heard people doing that to good effect. I'd also recommended https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/ (the basic set is all you need, the thin fake leather cover is really the only one worth using) if you're doing any sweating. It won't stop you from sweating, but it doesn't absorb anything so you can wipe your face/the cover off periodically and feel much less gross.

I sweat a lot when I play anything active and it's so much better than that lovely absorbent foam that gets disgusting immediately.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
taking a break every 20 mins on really high intensity stuff and storing the headset lenses down so any sweat doesnt get in. keep meaning to get a sweatband tho, it would help. i have a much bigger issue with controllers dying due to sweat. i now have 2 controllers for soundboxing only. they are saranwrapped with silicone cover over that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

I have heard people doing that to good effect. I'd also recommended https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/ (the basic set is all you need, the thin fake leather cover is really the only one worth using) if you're doing any sweating. It won't stop you from sweating, but it doesn't absorb anything so you can wipe your face/the cover off periodically and feel much less gross.

I sweat a lot when I play anything active and it's so much better than that lovely absorbent foam that gets disgusting immediately.

Got a vive, unfortunately. Speaking of which, it came with an extra foam headset cushion, can I throw them in the washing machine or will that obliterate them? That seems like the easiest option, just wash one when it gets nasty and use the other in the meantime.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i would just handwash, and there are equivalent products for the vive

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Got a vive, unfortunately. Speaking of which, it came with an extra foam headset cushion, can I throw them in the washing machine or will that obliterate them? That seems like the easiest option, just wash one when it gets nasty and use the other in the meantime.

You would probably be happy with https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-memory-foam-pads/ or https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-foam-replacement-6mm/ depending on if you want stock or thinner foam size. The Rift one has the replacement interface so it can add Velcro, but since the Vive has that built in you just swap the foam. There's also a cover you can sort of drape over the foam but I found that really annoying to use. Unfortunately I can't personally vouch for those but I'm really happy with my Oculus one so I assume they're at least decent.

The washing machine might obliterate them, but washing them by hand gently in soapy water is fine (that's what I did when I just used the Vive).

The problem I had was that they got so soaked with sweat it was super gross to put it back on if you took it off to take a drink or something because it was just fully saturated with water. Ugh. I would definitely get a fake leather something if you're gonna sweat a bunch since it makes it much more pleasant to use.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Just run em through the sink, then air/hand dry them. Water only, no soap. should clean them just fine.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, but finally got a little time in VR and +1 to Beat Saber. drat game is fun, smooth, and really does push Soundboxing down a notch. Soundboxing seemed to have a ton of potential to make the game look and play a little better, but a lot of the beatmaps seemed to feel the same without having a real dance element to it. A few songs were done right like La Bamba, but many others were just beat as fast as you can without much reason to them.

I hope Beat Saber doesn't fully devolve into the same thing as mentioned above, it can go from fun dancing to just Drum Saber real quick.

However having wireless VR and a good VR Cover to keep the sweat out is a godsend for games like this.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

EdEddnEddy posted:

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, but finally got a little time in VR and +1 to Beat Saber. drat game is fun, smooth, and really does push Soundboxing down a notch. Soundboxing seemed to have a ton of potential to make the game look and play a little better, but a lot of the beatmaps seemed to feel the same without having a real dance element to it. A few songs were done right like La Bamba, but many others were just beat as fast as you can without much reason to them.

I hope Beat Saber doesn't fully devolve into the same thing as mentioned above, it can go from fun dancing to just Drum Saber real quick.

However having wireless VR and a good VR Cover to keep the sweat out is a godsend for games like this.

I think once the official map tools come out. Those of us that simply hate that drum hero poo poo will be making "hard" tracks that make you shake your booty, or at least able to shake your booty. Instead of standing still wiggling your wrists. Its more fun that way, and its a way better workout. :D

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

I think once the official map tools come out. Those of us that simply hate that drum hero poo poo will be making "hard" tracks that make you shake your booty, or at least able to shake your booty. Instead of standing still wiggling your wrists. Its more fun that way, and its a way better workout. :D

I can only hope this is the case, I have a lot of rhythm gaming friends IRL (the DDR/ITG community is actually great) and one of them is already busy making wrist-wiggling tracks to pendulum songs :negative:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Beat Saber custom tracks that don't match the beat make me irrationally mad.

And yeah, tons of them are basically if this guy made them: https://youtu.be/bD7ZnJdi2rY

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beat Saber isn't a game, it's workout.
Also, I was worried the songs that ship with the games would be bad.

Boy was I wrong.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Michaellaneous posted:

Beat Saber isn't a game, it's workout.
Also, I was worried the songs that ship with the games would be bad.

Boy was I wrong.

Yeah a couple songs I outright dislike, can't remember names, but the vast majority of the current tracklist is really pleasant to listen to, let alone to Beat Saber to

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/3809361199426010680

quote:

SteamVR supports a lot of different controllers, and it can be difficult for developers to keep up with all of them. Today we are excited to release the first Beta for the new SteamVR Input system.

SteamVR Input allows users to build binding configurations for their favorite games, even for controllers that didn't exist when the game was written. They can adapt the controls of games to take left-handedness, a disability, or just personal preference into account. And once they build a configuration they can share them easily with other users of the same game via the Steam Workshop.

This new input system also allows developers to adapt their games more easily to diverse controllers. Developers control the default bindings for each controller type, and can offer alternate control schemes directly without the need to change the games themselves. When using SteamVR Input, developers expose high level "actions" in their applications that control how the binding UI presents their game to users.

All of this support is built right into SteamVR. It also works on every SteamVR application even if the developer of that application hasn't updated it to the new system yet.

In addition, with the introduction of SteamVR Input, hardware designers are free to try more kinds of input. They can expose whatever input controls exist on their device and then describe that device to the system.

All of this is accomplished through an easy to use UI that is available in-headset under the Settings menu.

SteamVR users who would like to try out the new system just need to opt-in to the Beta build of SteamVR. Look under properties in Steam.

Developers should view details on our OpenVR SDK 1.0.15[github.com] page and the documentation[github.com] to see how to enable native support in their applications.

Hardware developers should look at the driver API documentation[github.com] to see how they can enable this new system for their devices.

We would love to hear what you think of SteamVR Input. Please give it a try in the beta and leave a comment below or in the SteamVR forums to tell us what you think.

GREAT news for WMR users.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does this compete with OpenXR?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tried my first racing game in VR, dirt rally. After the arduous setup process to get it in a wmr headset it's the most fun I've had in vr yet. Now I'm going all in on assetto corsa while its on sale.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Tried my first racing game in VR, dirt rally. After the arduous setup process to get it in a wmr headset it's the most fun I've had in vr yet. Now I'm going all in on assetto corsa while its on sale.

Assetto Corsa does a great job of rendering the car inside and out. By far my favorite for jumping in to appreciate some cars and do a few laps.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does this compete with OpenXR?
It's literally an early prototype of a major component of OpenXR. Expect lessons learned here to be applied to the final OpenXR spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Compound just dropped into early access, I will give it a burl over the weekend and report back