Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the west coast of america has managed to make pollination unbearable (and I'm not talking about the employees)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

PokeJoe posted:

i hope these bees pollinate the plants on my balcony

plant some rhododendrons

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

CFLs last at least 3-4 years in my experience and i have never had an LED bulb die ever

what are yo doing to em

the cheapest-tier led bulbs have really lovely drivers/rectifiers in them that burn out really quickly - once had a capacitor explode in one, which was fun. then i bought a bunch of proper philips ones and not had a problem since.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my dad built a little wooden mesh-covered box on the porch and filled it with milkweed plants. every day in the summer we get caterpillars and a few days later, pretty lil butterflies to release

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plank Walker posted:

all current cars are equipped with the hardware to be driven by a ghost, a feature discovered by bay area entrepreneur Mistah F.A.B.

tell me when

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eschaton posted:

tell me when

when you:
1. got that new whip
2. you hit the strip
3. you're popping your lip

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

:qq:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
poo poo is getting weird

https://gizmodo.com/area-man-obscure-sidekick-asked-to-leave-google-fibers-1826028038

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://gizmodo.com/the-ceo-of-moviepass-says-he-still-has-more-tricks-up-h-1826026686

quote:

According to him, the company has access to a $300 million line of credit that could keep it afloat at current rates of cash burn for 17 more months

and we're going to burn through every penny of it keeping this sinking ship afloat until it hits the bottom of the seabed because nobody here will be held liable!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Milo was shilling pills on infowars earlier this week lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Milo was shilling pills on infowars earlier this week lol.
milo was apparently v v close to landing a new sugardaddy to underwrite his high profile trolling but then said sugardaddy (a failson mellon banking heir) had one too many fentanyl smoothies and overdosed and milo is scrambling for funds

his company "milo inc" ran out of money and shut down suddenly a few weeks ago. no warning, no severance. and this:

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/989906944658944001

im going to guess "nyc helicopter rides" is code for "my coke dealer"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

im going to guess "nyc helicopter rides" is code for "my coke dealer"

not saying you're wrong but nyc helicopter tourism is absolutely a thing

shame he wasn't on the one that went into the east river a few weeks ago

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmfao
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/zm8vz8/the-gig-economy-workers-who-power-the-scooter-ridesharing-craze-for-a-pittance

Our Gay Hell World posted:

“So I walked up, and as I reached for the scooter, a neighbor pops his head out the window and shouts, ‘What are you stealing!’ It happens almost all the time.”

They’d tracked the scooter’s location through the app, which uses GPS to broadcast which are ready for “capture.” Often the scooters are parked on private property, and several Bird chargers told me the company has zero guidance on what to do in these situations.

When this person reported the incident to Bird’s help desk, asking for a shirt or hat to identify themselves in the future, “[Bird] simply said that they are working on getting us ‘swagged out.’” (Bird declined to comment on the matter.)

Bird told me that it doesn’t ask chargers to enter private property. But according to chargers, the company doesn’t ask them not to, either, since the app shows all scooters that are ready to be charged, regardless of location.

Another Bird charger who I spoke to, who also requested anonymity, twice had their home entered by other chargers who took the scooters they had inside.

“First a guy came to the door and coerced my elderly father into letting him in,” they said. “Apparently, the guy told him he had the right to come in and get scooters, and it sounds like he threatened to call the police.”

The second time, a charger had possibly followed a “ghost image,” or lagging GPS signal for a scooter that had already been charged and released, making it appear as if the scooter was still inside the house.

When they contacted Bird’s help desk, a representative simply said to remove the pilfered scooters from their app. (Bird chargers get access to additional app features that itemize the scooters they’re servicing, and log information such as battery life and barcode.)

“I was really shocked by the whole thing,” they told me. “I work jobs that involve going onto private property. There’s a lot of effort into getting permission first, and even then there are close calls. I’m really afraid at some point [a Bird charger is] going to get hurt."

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao snow crash is real

hail stephenson, modern day nostradamus

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

techbubble: “Bird simply said that they are working on getting us ‘swagged out.’”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
why is there not a Vespa rental thing everywhere and instead stupid children scooters for children

turn sf into roma, tia

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Xaris posted:

why is there not a Vespa rental thing everywhere and instead stupid children scooters for children

turn sf into roma, tia

make all city streets narrower imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqguq1evb-M

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i was super excited on my visit "ooh they got scooter rentals ill grab a 49cc and ride around a bit!"

a: gently caress that drivers are scary
b: lol little electric turds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how are those scooters still everywhere, didn't the city confiscate them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
a single container from China will fit an awful lot of terrible unsafe scooters

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

turn sf into roma, tia

there is a scooter rental company here called "scoot" but I'd imagine the insurance and maintenance is way more than these preprocessed e-waste childe scooters

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I feel sorry for people who don't derive a little satisfaction from walking to places.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wide stance posted:

I feel sorry for people who don't derive a little satisfaction from walking to places.

Counterpoint: having to do it on SF sidewalks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

walk almost everywhere, feels good man

traffic is so bad anyway and you learn to look where you step

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i was super excited on my visit "ooh they got scooter rentals ill grab a 49cc and ride around a bit!"

a: gently caress that drivers are scary
b: lol little electric turds

having seen americans completely freaked out after twenty minutes driving a car in london traffic, i'm willing to pay large amounts of money to see them trying to get a piaggio around the colosseum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

having seen americans completely freaked out after twenty minutes driving a car in london traffic, i'm willing to pay large amounts of money to see them trying to get a piaggio around the colosseum

My man have you seen the famous American documentary "National Lampoon's European Vacation"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goddamnedtwisto posted:

haha americans are lovely drivers amirite

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wide stance posted:

*removes penny board from briefcase, takes off down sidewalk in full suit*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/bentarnoff/status/996419114796187648

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my god that is obnoxious

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if sa had this tech, all of your posts would go to the bottom

https://twitter.com/selectall/status/996446392246824962

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

i assume the definition of "bad" is not monetized

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/995672543334944768

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

this is one of the best things clickhole has ever published

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

haha americans are lovely drivers amirite

well yeah they are, but that's really not the point i was making

like even people who are pretty good drivers get freaked out the first time they hit piccadilly circus or an nsl b-road, people used to american roads where the lanes are wide enough that you can cross timezones doing a u-turn and you're not even trusted to overtake on most single-lane roads completely lose their poo poo when they hit roads laid out by saxon goat herds.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as an AMERICAN, i can definitely say that driving in the uk can be very hair raising, and i've never even ventured into any of the cities behind the wheel. the prospect of driving through london scares the hell out of me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i rode a motorcycle in india and didn't even injure myself, come at me bro

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
lol htc is making a "blockchain phone"

quote:

Just as HTC is gearing up for the launch of its next flagship smartphone come May 23rd, today it made a surprising announcement: it's also making a blockchain phone dubbed "Exodus" on the side. There aren't any specifics about this privacy-focused Android device just yet, but it will feature a universal wallet supporting Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dfinity, Lightning Networks plus other cryptocurrency protocols. The company is aiming to "double and triple the number of nodes of Ethereum and Bitcoin" through its Exodus units, while delivering decentralized applications (DApp) to more consumers.

The Exodus project is led by HTC's newly appointed Decentralized Chief Officer Phil Chen, who is best known for starting the VR project that eventually became the Vive. "I want to see a world where the end consumers can truly own their data (browsing history, identity, assets, wallets, emails, messaging, etc) without the need for central authorities," Chen wrote in a blog post. "There is a lot of work ahead of us, but I believe the mobile hardware layer can contribute significantly to our new decentralized world."

Obviously, HTC isn't the first to announce such an initiative. Sirin Labs already has a list of specs for its Finney blockchain smartphone, though it's still missing a specific launch date. Earlier this year, it was rumored that Huawei was also considering its own blockchain device based on Sirin Labs' system. There's also the BitVault and Blacture that both claim to be the world's first blockchain phone, though neither are available just yet. For now, HTC is taking its time with its Exodus, and we'll be hearing more partnership announcements over the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

all this will do is block normal shitposts but if a famous nazi with a blue checkmark says something you're definitely going to see it