Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

quote:

Every argument I can't refute is a crazy midnight alcoholic meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Calling everyone else a fascist in long meandering screeds is a meltdown no matter how you slice it, your weakass defense of it doesn't change that

There's not even anything to debate in those posts, when someone thinks that all gun control advocates must be fascists that's way past the point of reasoned debate

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 11, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

until the government finds out you're a criminal :ohdear:

also how pathetic is your life that you assume that being an internet mod was a key point of my life and that i am deeply upset that i quit, even years later

Laws that automatically turn former law-abiding citizens into criminals sound a lot like fascism to me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So when marital rape became a crime that was fascism?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Laws that automatically turn former law-abiding citizens into criminals sound a lot like fascism to me.

Yeah, we know you're an idiot. It's okay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well, better not pass any new laws ever then.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So when marital rape became a crime that was fascism?

Worse, feminism.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I like the idea that a simple change of law turns otherwise normal people into Purge villains.

The idea of criminality being a trait and not a consequence is so stupid.

HootTheOwl posted:

Worse, feminism.

Feminism is just cuck fascism *Galaxy brain*

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Separate thought:

Right wing gun fetishists are so concerned about jackbooted gun grabbers because in their heart of hearts they dream of enacting their own decrepit mores by that exact method.

It's projection turtles, all the way down.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

The idea of criminality being a trait and not a consequence is so stupid.

It's interesting that the NYS gun laws and people ITT are super concerned about "criminals." What is it about "criminals" that liberals seem to love to bring up when passing gun control laws? I wonder if they are using "criminal" to refer to something else, maybe a trait that would be shared by the type of people most impacted by "common sense" laws?

In order to not be anymore obnoxious then you deserve I'll just say it. Gun Control is racist. It has racist roots, and only racists support it. Further there is no way to pass any kind of "may-issue" gun control licensing or registration without relying on racism to keep guns away from "criminals."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's interesting that the NYS gun laws and people ITT are super concerned about "criminals." What is it about "criminals" that liberals seem to love to bring up when passing gun control laws? I wonder if they are using "criminal" to refer to something else, maybe a trait that would be shared by the type of people most impacted by "common sense" laws?

In order to not be anymore obnoxious then you deserve I'll just say it. Gun Control is racist. It has racist roots, and only racists support it. Further there is no way to pass any kind of "may-issue" gun control licensing or registration without relying on racism to keep guns away from "criminals."

it turns out that fat white men cosplaying with deadly toys are the real black men in america

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you mean racist against white people or else you'd probably be all for it (if you really thought that and weren't arguing in bad faith anyway).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Just out of curiosity, do you think it's possible to discuss gun control without the words criminal, liberal or racist?

I'm conducting a thought experiment and you seem enthusiastic enough.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

do you also own one of these

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
that is the weakest troll i've seen here in a while. shameful.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

botany posted:

that is the weakest troll i've seen here in a while. shameful.

nah he is actually that stupid

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

In order to not be anymore obnoxious then you deserve

You've been unsuccessful.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pass a new amendment to give guns human rights IMO

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Pass a new amendment to give guns human rights IMO

People: defined as guns and corporations, but not actual humans because that would be messy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

archangelwar posted:

People: defined as guns and corporations, but not actual humans because that would be messy

i endorse this product and/or service

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I sort of have to wonder how many of the more fervently gun-grabber people ITT have spent much time talking with "average" gun owners. I've talked a lot of fellow shooters, in NYS, VA and VT. Of course up here in VT it's easier to find granola-green gun people who basically support the entire democratic agenda (background checks, class bans on some guns, etc). But, I met a lot of those people in NYS and VA as well. I'm not just talking about basically liberal friends who enjoy blowing stuff up, but lots of randos at the range as well.

Within those demographics I have encountered a wide spectrum of opinions, and people who just think, full stop, status quo is fine and any effort to curtail it is THE UN BLUE HATS WANT MAH GUNS are a significant minority. A very vocal one, who are parroted ad infinium by NRA ads, but a minority none the less.

My point is that "LOL WE'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS NOW" posts strike me as obvious flamebait. That's fine, venting is fine. But, if you want to effect policy change, I'd encourage you to be a bit more nuanced and actually talk to people, because I think it would be surprisingly easy to come up with a coaltion of gun owners in favor of procedural, evidence-based progressive reduction in gun availability and the number of guns in the wild.

Granted, the most fervent gun owners in this thread are idiots, but, this is the internet.

disclaimer: I personally support nearly any law change that seems likely for fact-driven reasons to reduce the number of guns in circulation in America, second amendment be damned, and if guns were ever banned for civilians I'd be on board with that provided it was in lockstep with actual measures to disarm and demilitarize the police. So, this puts me significantly to the left of most gun owners even here in VT, and I'm not trying to play it off as though my particular position is well represented. But, like I said, it's a spectrum, and I am not alone.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 15, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Your mistake is assuming that anyone that is ardently pro-gun-control is doing it in good faith and not for spite-based reasons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm fully prepared to say that I harbor vast amounts of spite towards people who think that their useless toys are more important than human lives.

Also, for fucks sake, Somethingawful does not determine policy, if you're reading people saying, lol, gonna get your guns and clutching your pearls you're pretty dumb.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I'm fully prepared to say that I harbor vast amounts of spite towards people who think that their useless toys are more important than human lives.
First world lifestyles are built on a mountain of skulls.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

First world lifestyles are built on a mountain of skulls.

Thanks for the insight Rent-A-Cop, perhaps you could expand on that and finally use those guns for something worthwhile by shooting up Apple's headquarters instead of moping around here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Holistic medicine beat me to the punch.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
oh okay we're at the point where people just want to be D&D spiteful instead of D&D thoughtful? I missed the memo, did skip a couple pages there. Peace

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

oh okay we're at the point where people just want to be D&D spiteful instead of D&D thoughtful? I missed the memo, did skip a couple pages there. Peace

That tends to happen after pages and pages of bad-faith arguments.

cue 'from the gun-grabbin' side right??? :hurr:' replies

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That tends to happen after pages and pages of bad-faith arguments.

cue 'from the gun-grabbin' side right??? :hurr:' replies
Go read the first reply in this thread lol

Suggesting this was ever a good thread is the baddest faith argument.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 15, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tim Raines IRL posted:

We've had pages and pages of good discussions, but the thread's gun-holders happen to be bad faith posters like Dead Reckoning and Rent-A-Cop

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

We've had pages and pages of good discussions, but the thread's gun-holders happen to be bad faith posters like Dead Reckoning and Rent-A-Cop

All of my posts in this thread are in good faith if not good taste.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Rent-A-Cop kinda owns though because he’s fully conscious that he’s a bad guy and he’s affable about it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I sort of have to wonder how many of the more fervently gun-grabber people ITT have spent much time talking with "average" gun owners. I've talked a lot of fellow shooters, in NYS, VA and VT. Of course up here in VT it's easier to find granola-green gun people who basically support the entire democratic agenda (background checks, class bans on some guns, etc). But, I met a lot of those people in NYS and VA as well. I'm not just talking about basically liberal friends who enjoy blowing stuff up, but lots of randos at the range as well.

Within those demographics I have encountered a wide spectrum of opinions, and people who just think, full stop, status quo is fine and any effort to curtail it is THE UN BLUE HATS WANT MAH GUNS are a significant minority. A very vocal one, who are parroted ad infinium by NRA ads, but a minority none the less.

My point is that "LOL WE'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS NOW" posts strike me as obvious flamebait. That's fine, venting is fine. But, if you want to effect policy change, I'd encourage you to be a bit more nuanced and actually talk to people, because I think it would be surprisingly easy to come up with a coaltion of gun owners in favor of procedural, evidence-based progressive reduction in gun availability and the number of guns in the wild.

Granted, the most fervent gun owners in this thread are idiots, but, this is the internet.

disclaimer: I personally support nearly any law change that seems likely for fact-driven reasons to reduce the number of guns in circulation in America, second amendment be damned, and if guns were ever banned for civilians I'd be on board with that provided it was in lockstep with actual measures to disarm and demilitarize the police. So, this puts me significantly to the left of most gun owners even here in VT, and I'm not trying to play it off as though my particular position is well represented. But, like I said, it's a spectrum, and I am not alone.

There's no such thing as "average gun owners". Average people by definition do not have guns when gun owners are such a small minority.

It's not 1955 anymore, gun ownership is not a typical thing, and thank God for that.

Also protip: if you have ever voted in favor of guns over anything else, you ain't left. You're just a conservative idiot who's lying to themselves and others.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Also, for fucks sake, Somethingawful does not determine policy, if you're reading people saying, lol, gonna get your guns and clutching your pearls you're pretty dumb.
Would you accept this argument from someone posting about, lol they can't wait for the illegal immigrants to get kicked out? That it would be OK for them to say that because they don't make policy on SA? If you think those examples are different, why so?

QuarkJets posted:

What makes you think my posts are insincere? You seem to be conflating disagreeing with your premise with bad faith.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
This forum in general seems to have a confused understanding of what "bad faith" is normally used for.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Would you accept this argument from someone posting about, lol they can't wait for the illegal immigrants to get kicked out? That it would be OK for them to say that because they don't make policy on SA? If you think those examples are different, why so?

Hahaholyfuckingshitlol...

Because illegal immigrants are actual, real people you dumbass!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is the idea of less households with guns based on something more than that poll? I don't think there's good numbers on it. What the poll shows is that, when called and asked if they had guns, more and more people said "no".

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Seriously, you might as well have just gone straight to 'well what if somebody was like "can't wait till the jews get exterminated", that's on the same level as guns being confiscated isn't it?'

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You said in that same post that you harbor spite for gun owners as people. It's hard to take you seriously when when you say that you would vote to spite people (but that's OK lol, because you haven't been able to do it... yet...) and then say you want to have a discussion in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the idea of less households with guns based on something more than that poll? I don't think there's good numbers on it. What the poll shows is that, when called and asked if they had guns, more and more people said "no".

Ah so you believe there's a massive conspiracy among 200 million or so Americans to lie that they don't have guns but secretly do while only 70 million or so tell the truth that they do have guns. That's what you'd need after all for the ownership rate to stay the same from over 60 years ago to now, but for the ownership rates reported in multiple sorts of surveys over the years to go down.

Well that's certainly something you can choose to believe, but it also isn't true.

• Locked thread