Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zeal posted:

drat me but i like the look of the nerdcast eternals

I do too, I'm probably going to build up both halves of the starter set. Muscle wizards are cool, even if ghosts are cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

actually the biggest problem with the stormfronts is their stupid death mask

Agreed. There's no character to them whatsoever. You could make the argument that an entire army of silent, expressionless warriors would be terrifying, but on a tabletop, it's boring as hell, especially when most of them are posed in a very similar manner.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Can anyone point me to a good Age of Sigmar novel about Stormcast? These announcements have got me interested in a lore dive.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

Agreed. There's no character to them whatsoever. You could make the argument that an entire army of silent, expressionless warriors would be terrifying, but on a tabletop, it's boring as hell, especially when most of them are posed in a very similar manner.

Tbh 'Army of silent expressionless warriors" sounds like the concept for a new Death Army

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think when I get around to painting the stray few I have I think I’ll paint the masks themselves porcelain with some fine markings. Go for like a kabuki/Segula from Malazan feel to them to see if that makes them pop a little more.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone point me to a good Age of Sigmar novel about Stormcast? These announcements have got me interested in a lore dive.

Plague Garden is great. It really sells me on Stormcast, especially because it makes them more tragic and it doubles as a cool look at Nurgle followers who are actually interesting too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SRM posted:

I've put working on more Empire dudes on hold until the next edition comes out - I'm still all about these pyjama pals, but if the rules say round bases are required now I'll be grumpy if I have to rebase even more dudes.

I doubt the core rules will talk about proper bases at all, just like in 40k. However, events like Nova and LVO or whatever are starting to implement stricter painting/modeling guidelines because of the increased GW presence, and modern bases are part of that.

dexefiend posted:

I am ordering Nighthaunt stuff tonight.

:fap:

Just a few spirit hosts, to test a paint scheme.

You might want to wait, they're coming out with some ghost paints:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I doubt the core rules will talk about proper bases at all, just like in 40k. However, events like Nova and LVO or whatever are starting to implement stricter painting/modeling guidelines because of the increased GW presence, and modern bases are part of that.

they somehow managed to capture the tone of mcdonalds happy meal toys from the 90s that changed color in warm water

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Plague Garden is great. It really sells me on Stormcast, especially because it makes them more tragic and it doubles as a cool look at Nurgle followers who are actually interesting too.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

One thing from Warhammerfest I haven't seen mentioned was Age of Sigmar: Champions. It's a TCG based on Age of Sigmar. I'm honestly skeptical, because it hasn't been mentioned much, and most of the details are scarce, but there were demos at the fest.

Someone who got to play it left his impressions:

quote:

Had a demo of this game at Warhammer Fest today and thought it was worth giving a quick rundown for people that didn't have the opportunity as it's a great little game and doesn't seem to be much info out there as yet.

I didn't have much interest in this game initially, I think because I was expecting a hearthstone clone and when I looked at the cards it looked a bit convulted and confusing on that basis.

Well, it seems I was wrong! The game quickly becomes pretty intuitive as it revolves around a few key mechanics that, once you've grasped them, mean it all goes very smoothly. Apparently a game should take about 15 minutes, although mine probably was closer to half an hour, but sped up as we got the hang of it and I reckon after one game I could quite comfortably show someone else.

You select four Champion cards, which all have a points value, and can have a total points value of up to 20. Each champion also has a positive or negative impact on your starting health. Two of mine gave +1 and two gave -1 meaning I started with the standard 30 health. It's worth noting you have a collective health pool, none of your cards have health as far as I could see and you don't specifically damage your opponents units or champions, the damage is done direct to the collective pool. You win by reducing the pool to 0.

You also have four Blessings and a deck comprising Unit and Spell cards (not sure how many I'm afraid!)

You have a play mat that has a health counter, little summary of some of the icons, and four lanes. Each lane has a space for a Champion, a Blessing and a Unit or Spell. These lanes come into play in the game as certain cards will effect units, spells or champions in other lanes relative to the champion playing the card. To start you shuffle your blessings and place them on the Champion spots face down so you don't know which is which, and the players then deploy the champions on top of them in turn.

One of the key mechanics is that most cards have icons in each corner, and either rotate each turn, or under certain conditions , causing certain effects.

Each turn you get two actions, which can be to play a Unit or Spell, Use an ability or draw a card. If you choose to draw a card you can't then make a different action after, so you either take the other action and then draw, or draw twice.

Each lane only has one spot for a unit or spell and most champions can only either cast spells or summon units, not both, so you have to think about which lane you deploy your champions in and what units or spells you use with which champions. Once in play the units or spells usually rotate every turn, and will usually have a number or an X in each corner that has a different effect depending on the spell or unit that comes into play when it rotates on to it. For example some units will say' do X damage' (where X is a little rotate symbol I can't do on my phone) meaning the unit does an amount of damage equal to the number in the top left corner whenever it rotates. For an example arcane bolt does nothing for two turns and then does 7 damage on turn three. If the card has a symbol on every corner then it is discarded once it has fully rotated, if it has corners without symbols it will be discarded earlier.

The symbols in the champions card corners relate to missions that they need to complete to rotate, for example deal damage, summon a unit, heal etc. Once they have fully rotated the blessing card underneath them is revealed and becomes active giving a powerful buff.

That's the long and short of it but you have other text and abilities on the cards that allow certain synergies and other abilities, for example the orruks can stack on top of each other to allow support, as if in a waaaggh, meaning they can do more damage than unsupported in some cases. I played death and my opponent played and orruks destruction deck and they both felt like they played very thematically.

I think it's probably not the easiest game to explain so I might have made a hash of it, and like I said it looks confusing at first glance, but honestly plays so smoothly once youce had a couple of turns.

I did ask about the AR and digital angles but that all seemed a bit confused, I think it will be a while behind the physical release. I think the digital version is completely stand alone, but using the AR you can see your units by scanning the codes around each card and apparently you can level up the AR characters , both in the physical and digital versions.

Was almost tempted by the founders pack but decided to play it safe as I'm on a budget and wait for release as I'm not sure I'll need all four campaign decks. It's a proper tcg which I can imagine might put some people off but I'll definitely try it out on release.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are these just extra pigmented washes or something?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Glazes.

Also:

Straight up a Slaanesh claw, get hyped.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SteelMentor posted:

Glazes.

Also:

Straight up a Slaanesh claw, get hyped.

I'm very hyped for whatever materializes 12-18 months from now :v:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I liked this one:

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/hallowed-knights-plague-garden-ebook.html

Got it on audio book for a long boring drive and was pleasantly surprised. It happens after some other big events about the everqueen with the Hallowed Knights, but it pretty much explains all of that you'd need to know for this story.

I will note the first quarter until they go into Nurgle's Realm is kind of bland. A lot of the early realmgate war stuff is just blow by blows of the stormcast fighting someone, and this one starts out in a similar vein. But it picks up a lot as they get into the plague garden and delves into the bizarre civilization that exists there Plus the stormcast actually have character.

EDIT: Damnit, teach me to hit reply before reading the last few posts. Anyway, +1 for plague garden.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think when I get around to painting the stray few I have I think I’ll paint the masks themselves porcelain with some fine markings. Go for like a kabuki/Segula from Malazan feel to them to see if that makes them pop a little more.

I was just going to mention that I like the Stormcast models but I just can't stand their helmets but I think that might actually work. I think I might see if theres a spare Stormcast floating around at my FLGS tomorrow to try it on.

Well that and the default paint scheme is dumb. It doesn't look as bad in person but still not great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So is the new starter NIghthaunt v Sigmar or something? I haven't seen anything like that.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Today I bought the Eidolon of Mathlan. I'm hoping to find the time to put him together this week in his Wizard form. The store was out of the giant turtles, and I wanted to reward myself for making it through finals.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JBP posted:

So is the new starter NIghthaunt v Sigmar or something? I haven't seen anything like that.

I thought they said that explicitly but maybe not. I hope so though because I'd like an assortment of the new models without paying for individual kits.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Desiden posted:

I liked this one:

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/hallowed-knights-plague-garden-ebook.html

Got it on audio book for a long boring drive and was pleasantly surprised. It happens after some other big events about the everqueen with the Hallowed Knights, but it pretty much explains all of that you'd need to know for this story.

I will note the first quarter until they go into Nurgle's Realm is kind of bland. A lot of the early realmgate war stuff is just blow by blows of the stormcast fighting someone, and this one starts out in a similar vein. But it picks up a lot as they get into the plague garden and delves into the bizarre civilization that exists there Plus the stormcast actually have character.

EDIT: Damnit, teach me to hit reply before reading the last few posts. Anyway, +1 for plague garden.

Plague Garden is great, War Storm is pretty good too, but it is several shorter stories

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I haven't seen GW actually confirm anywhere there'll be a new StormWizard vs NightHaunt starter box, it seems like assumptions because they're two upcoming releases announced near the start of a new edition.

I both hope there is and isn't a new starter, because I'm a sucker for boxed sets, and haven't even started assembling Blightwar yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stormcasts in the default paint scheme look like an Oscar statuette's loser little brother who started using steroids to get women to pay attention to him. They look a lot better in a different color scheme and without masks, but being even bigger than space marines while wearing non-power armor is pretty weird.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Desiden posted:

Anyway, +1 for plague garden.

:whatup:

I have started reading the Fyreslayerz anthology thing, and it seems pretty decent so far. I am really glad they present this insane world like everything is normal.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I actually love these new stormcasts because battle priests+battle wizards +artillery is all cool. Might pick some up if I ever get round to finishing my overlords.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/16/16th-may-rules-preview-turn-prioritygw-homepage-post-2/

A good turn priority change. Ties in the roll-offs go to the person who took the first turn in the last round, and hints at some benefits for going second that have to do with the new magic stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

3powerfularmies.jpg

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Dee Snyder looking rough these days.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I almost forgot that edgy skeleton shirts exists beyond the context of da share zone.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I’m hoping the command point system isn’t going to be a direct clone of the 40K one - I liked the idea that in Malign Portents the equivalent regenerated each turn and that what you could use with them was often fairly crazy. Also a lot of the 40K are a bit boring. Like statistically good or OK but not exciting or to make you cackle as you unleash them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I have never seen hair that both had the color of and looked like it had the texture and feel of ramen noodles.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody here tried painting Stormcast by doing a basecoat of Leadbelcher and then doing a bunch of layers of Nuln oil over it? I feel like that could be a decent looking near black color for the Anvils of the Heldenhammer I want to do but am having a hard time really picturing it.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Pendent posted:

Has anybody here tried painting Stormcast by doing a basecoat of Leadbelcher and then doing a bunch of layers of Nuln oil over it? I feel like that could be a decent looking near black color for the Anvils of the Heldenhammer I want to do but am having a hard time really picturing it.

Here’s a space marine that’s grey with a bunch of null oil I think it looks really good. In my experience nuln dulls down the shine, so not sure if leadbelcher would look much different in the end.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I recently did a test model for my Deathwatch where I primed Grey and washed with Nuln Oil 3 or 4 times. I was super happy with the results. The times I've done primed black and painted black, I felt that was always a bit flat (though a blue or purple wash go a long way here). By priming grey, I felt the wash made the color stand out a bit more and not be so overwhelmingly dark, but instead be a bit more spread around.

Here are some quick pics. I should set up the light box and do some more. Pretty happy with how he is turning out (though the face is a bit of a loss).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I saw that post and it's a little darker than I'm thinking of. I'm sort of shooting for a very dark iron color, I think. Maybe I should look at some metallics outside of the citadel range, really.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I would try just mixing some black with leadbelcher if you’re trying for a black gunmetal look, then just putting nuln oil in the folds and creases of the armor and highlighting with straight leadbelcher and a tiny bit of runefang steel.

Or get some metallic medium and mix with eshin gray and black.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is really similar to what I'm shooting for I think:

I think the black+leadbelcher is probably a good bet but I have some doubts about my ability to maintaining a consistent color when I'm mixing like that. I suppose it would probably be a good way for me to expand my painting abilities a bit htough.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pendent posted:

This is really similar to what I'm shooting for I think:

I think the black+leadbelcher is probably a good bet but I have some doubts about my ability to maintaining a consistent color when I'm mixing like that. I suppose it would probably be a good way for me to expand my painting abilities a bit htough.

Take a look at Scale75 Black Metal. It's quite a bit darker than leadbelcher and glazing with nuln oil would likely get you where you want to be.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Take a look at Scale75 Black Metal. It's quite a bit darker than leadbelcher and glazing with nuln oil would likely get you where you want to be.

Oh, that looks almost perfect. The scale 75 metalics are supposed to be pretty good in general, right- would you reccommend grabbing the Metal 'n Alchemy steel series set from them?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pendent posted:

This is Scale 75 Black Metal. Sorry the picture is blurry, I never took another one it turns out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is Scale 75 Black Metal. Sorry the picture is blurry, I never took another one it turns out.

Blurry is fine, that color is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I definitely recommend Scale 75 paints in general. I have finally bit the bullet and switched over fully to them for the most part. There are a few things I use like the GW washes, but overall I am extremely happy. The colored metals are nice in particular.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Faction focus on Archaon and his boys.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/16/16th-may-faction-focus-everchosen-and-slaves-to-darknessgw-homepage-post-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I definitely recommend Scale 75 paints in general. I have finally bit the bullet and switched over fully to them for the most part. There are a few things I use like the GW washes, but overall I am extremely happy. The colored metals are nice in particular.

Are those the Alchemy paints? I'm not sure if they're meant to be mixed or are just colored metallics to stand on their own.

• Locked thread