Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Given the difficulty variability, I feel like half the missions where I'm hosed by the RNG, I manage to scrape out a victory by the skin of my teeth. This sounds about right to me, especially since the game isn't controlling for your lance composition (Kiva's interview about game balance was really eye-opening).

Did a 3-skull assassination mission, and thought I was doomed. Ejected Glitch, was about a turn away from ejecting Dekker, but I somehow saved their precious right arms (Gauss and AC-20+++, all ammo depleted) and salvaged a King Crab out of it. :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ignorant Hick posted:

Game owns but I’m getting deeper into the story now and I feel like I don’t have enough firepower to deal with these heavy mechs.

I’m on a three star assassination contract and it’s one of the few missions I’ve ended up save scumming on. It starts me at the bottom of a steep hill and no matter what direction I go my mechs end up in combat on their first move. Fighting 9-12 enemies. I’ve tried this mission three times and it seems the only way to not get stuck in a cross fire is to hug the map edge and try to take out the mech group farthest away from the target. I can take out the lights and mediums quickly enough but there’s always at least two heavies like a dragon or an Orion that I can’t wear down fast enough.

While I’m trying to fight them my mechs are constantly being peppered from out of sight by the other group. By the time the target reaches me everyone’s either out of ammo or too damaged to last the rest of the fight.

Currently using a grasshopper with a ppc and a bunch of L/M lasers, a trebuchet loaded with LRMs that I feel’s been carrying me this far with stability damage, a Dragon with SRMs and melee weapons for tanking, and a Jaeger with two AC/20s. Don’t know if I’ve built the jaeger properly though. Before now I’ve been using its default weapons with the M lasers swapped for jump jets and that felt like a fairly useful sniper. But holy gently caress do enemies love to shoot at it. Felt like I spent more time running away with it than taking shots. I feel like I need this shotgun jaeger to kill heavies but even with two components of ammo it runs dry so quickly.

If I rush down the target and evac, do I still get the salvage?

Obligatory "remembered to Called Shot the CT to quickly take out mechs."

Boomjager is fun but it's a gimmick; if you want an effective one use the Missile Jager (max front armor, mlas, all SRMs or mix SRM4/LRM15 if you've got multi-shot).

If you're suffering for damage then how about giving the Grasshopper a far more damage efficient loadout of all mlas+slas (or MGs if you're suffering from heat). Add in the Jump Jets and it should be able to annihilate anything you shoot from the back, with judicious use of Vigilance to keep it protected.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good to know. LRMs it is!

It isn't, actually.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I lost half the gauss' ammo due to forgetting I left it in an arm unfortunately but the highlanders still going strong and boring holes in things in single volleys.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm living the dream with my favorite me build: triple srm6 centurion A

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why you strip the Gauss Rifle out of it, throw 3 PPCs in the chest, and turn it into a bigger tougher jumping Awesome.

There's no way you can ever soak that heat, though? I was setting mine up as something like dual AC5+++.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good to know. LRMs it is!

It's not guaranteed, but, you know, :xcom:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ignorant Hick posted:

Game owns but I’m getting deeper into the story now and I feel like I don’t have enough firepower to deal with these heavy mechs.

I’m on a three star assassination contract and it’s one of the few missions I’ve ended up save scumming on. It starts me at the bottom of a steep hill and no matter what direction I go my mechs end up in combat on their first move. Fighting 9-12 enemies. I’ve tried this mission three times and it seems the only way to not get stuck in a cross fire is to hug the map edge and try to take out the mech group farthest away from the target. I can take out the lights and mediums quickly enough but there’s always at least two heavies like a dragon or an Orion that I can’t wear down fast enough.

While I’m trying to fight them my mechs are constantly being peppered from out of sight by the other group. By the time the target reaches me everyone’s either out of ammo or too damaged to last the rest of the fight.

Currently using a grasshopper with a ppc and a bunch of L/M lasers, a trebuchet loaded with LRMs that I feel’s been carrying me this far with stability damage, a Dragon with SRMs and melee weapons for tanking, and a Jaeger with two AC/20s. Don’t know if I’ve built the jaeger properly though. Before now I’ve been using its default weapons with the M lasers swapped for jump jets and that felt like a fairly useful sniper. But holy gently caress do enemies love to shoot at it. Felt like I spent more time running away with it than taking shots. I feel like I need this shotgun jaeger to kill heavies but even with two components of ammo it runs dry so quickly.

There is a lot going on here.

First, did you add any armor the the Jagermech? It has the same amount of armor as a Jenner, a mech almost half its weight. The AI will love to shoot it because it is a 65 ton mech it can knock out with enough fire to kill a mech half its weight. Two AC/20is is hella powerful, but if you have that little armor *and* that little ammo, you need a different fit. I had a lot of success with two AC/5s, 4 ML, and 4 MGs and *max armor*.

A PPC and LL and ML is really fukkin hot for a Grasshopper. I have a Grasshopper with an SRM 4, 7 ML, and 6 MGs and it gets hot when I jump and shoot. Now, I have specific uses/tactics for it, so I'm not saying "do my build" but I am going to say: drop the LLs and replace them with MLs, and fill the rest of the tonnage with Heat Sinks. It will run cooler and you will be able to do more damage with it. If I did a Grasshopper build with a PPC I would only ever fire the PPC or the MLs; not both (unless you have heat capacity to spare and need something to die, of course).

As for that mission: fuckit. Load your autosave from before the mission and dont take it. Sometimes the mission difficulty has really really harsh swings. Nothing wrong with skipping a mission that swings its dick at you like that.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Obligatory "remembered to Called Shot the CT to quickly take out mechs."

Boomjager is fun but it's a gimmick; if you want an effective one use the Missile Jager (max front armor, mlas, all SRMs or mix SRM4/LRM15 if you've got multi-shot).
Um, not to be a dick here but most people cant just go to the store and buy the missile Jager and giving advice "get a completely different mech" doesnt necessarily help. I've been taking my time working through the campaign but I'm probably two years into the game and I have only ever seen one missile jager.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 15, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: quote is not edit

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

There's no way you can ever soak that heat, though? I was setting mine up as something like dual AC5+++.

You absolutely can, I used one double heat sink, maxed the front armor, and the rest of the weight are jump jets and singles. On cold maps you can fire 3 PPCs indefinitely and on hot maps you actually cool down while firing only two PPCs.

You can't quite get the Awesome's 3-3-2-3-3-2 tabletop firing pattern out of it, but it's still pretty good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PoptartsNinja posted:

You absolutely can, I used one double heat sink, maxed the front armor, and the rest of the weight are jump jets and singles. On cold maps you can fire 3 PPCs indefinitely and on hot maps you actually cool down while firing only two PPCs.

You can't quite get the Awesome's 3-3-2-3-3-2 tabletop firing pattern out of it, but it's still pretty good.

brb re-refitting my Highlander.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I remember someone posting somewhere down-thread about running the game on a Surface, but now I can't find it :/ So I'll have to rely on the wisdom of the thread; do I have to fiddle around with some settings to get it running? I've got a Surface Pro 3, and the game won't even launch, just crashes after a few seconds, and dumps some inscrutable error logs. I'd love it if I could get it running, because my ancient laptop can barely break 20 fps on the lowest settings :gonk:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Um, not to be a dick here but most people cant just go to the store and buy the missile Jager and giving advice "get a completely different mech" doesnt necessarily help. I've been taking my time working through the campaign but I'm probably two years into the game and I have only ever seen one missile jager.

Dude didn't specify which Jagermech they had.

And really, that's a common problem with people coming in asking for advice: they provide very little info regarding what tools they've got available or clues as to what they might be doing wrong. So, you throw advice at random hoping something sticks.

And hey, sometimes the best advice is indeed "try and get better mechs"!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Conspiratiorist posted:

Dude didn't specify which Jagermech they had.

And really, that's a common problem with people coming in asking for advice: they provide very little info regarding what tools they've got available or clues as to what they might be doing wrong. So, you throw advice at random hoping something sticks.

And hey, sometimes the best advice is indeed "try and get better mechs"!
:shrug: Fair enough!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I put cockpit armour in the head and on one mission I rode the mech down to just a CT and two legs with two wounds left and clicked eject feeling all smug. Then I realized that ejecting blows up the head and thus my cockpit mod++.

Sad times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't have pilots but I still have my gauss. :shepface:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Pattonesque posted:

put some big LRMs on the Highlander, park it in the back, never have its right side facing anything with guns, profit
I do the same, but with 2 PPCs instead of LRMs to back up the Gauss.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Are quality parts in salvage just RNG based? I just finished up a story mission where I had a pretty nice SRM+ in the salvage, but my game crashed after picking what to take. Reloaded to a manual save from just before extracting and no fancy missiles to be found.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Davos posted:

Are quality parts in salvage just RNG based? I just finished up a story mission where I had a pretty nice SRM+ in the salvage, but my game crashed after picking what to take. Reloaded to a manual save from just before extracting and no fancy missiles to be found.

Yup, there's a random chance one of the salvageable pieces you get at the end will get upgraded in the salvage screen. You can even change the odds of this happening in simGameConstants.json.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
New patch out just now, remember to back up your mods.

Bunch of technical stuff, and they've finally fixed the the High & Low Spirits bug. Say goodbye to your endless called shots.

Artum posted:

I lost half the gauss' ammo due to forgetting I left it in an arm unfortunately but the highlanders still going strong and boring holes in things in single volleys.

I think gauss ammo is buyable in stores on planets with all 3 of rich, manufacturing, and research. Still random chance whether it's in stock or not, but the weight is 1 and everything I've seen suggests lower weight means more likely to appear.

Ignorant Hick posted:

yes, salvage only cares about mission success. apparently nobody else cleans up their trash after a battle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

New patch out just now, remember to back up your mods.

Bunch of technical stuff, and they've finally fixed the the High & Low Spirits bug. Say goodbye to your endless called shots.

I think gauss ammo is buyable in stores on planets with all 3 of rich, manufacturing, and research. Still random chance whether it's in stock or not, but the weight is 1 and everything I've seen suggests lower weight means more likely to appear.

yes, salvage only cares about mission success. apparently nobody else cleans up their trash after a battle.

You can bad faith withdraw and get some loot too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Klyith posted:

Looks like they just promoted the 1.0.3 public beta to live.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sounds like this is what happens after each battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htiJY1lLhMg

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Insert name here posted:

Just did one of those vehicle repossession missions at 3.5 skulls where the vehicles you have to fight are always backed up by some mechs. A Shrek, Demolisher, and two Manticores awaited me right next to their mech reinforcements. Apparently the pirates used their entire tonnage allotment on a Locust... and a King Crab.

I now have a King Crab :getin:

I had almost the exact same thing. Repossessed two Demolishers, a Manticore, and a Shrek, defended by a Panther and a King Crab.

I now have a LRM 30/PPC King Crab, a LRM40/Gauss Highlander, a double heat sinked Awesome, and it almost doesn't matter what I put in the fourth spot, but it's usually an AC20 Orion, a DFA specced Grasshopper, a LRM Jager, or sometimes if I feel the need for scouting and speed, a recon Shadow Hawk.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just realized that whenever a pilot says something like "Maybe we can salvage something here" when getting a kill, that indicates a higher quality piece of equipment is being dropped. :doh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ulmont posted:

That Highlander is destined to have its right arm blown off on the next story mission, just FYI.

Is this a real thing or are you just making a :xcom: comment?

E: It is not. Ok, phew.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 15, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

The latter.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

The latter, mine was fine the entire game. In fact it never even got into structure!

I've managed to complete the game, hurrah. It wasn't as bad as the game made out doing the last level.

Like I said earlier the story was alright. I don't like the idea of restoring a noble to their "rightful place" (unless it's a guillotine) but they managed to make do with what they could. It's a bit of a shame you don't get to talk to your crew more I think. I feel very little connection to any of them by the end and other than Yang I didn't really remember who was who either.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Darkrenown posted:

It's not a real thing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's a joke, I've used it for dozens of missions, it's extremely good

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a real thing.

Totally happened to me though.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Backup your mod folder before you apply the update. According to the patch notes modding the files breaks your save game after the update.

As I understand it, the order of operations is:

1- Backup your modded .json files.
2- Apply update
2.5- Backup newly updated .json files.
3- Reapply your mods.
4- Load your save game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

Like I said earlier the story was alright. I don't like the idea of restoring a noble to their "rightful place" (unless it's a guillotine) but they managed to make do with what they could.

Yeah, the story was ok, but I hope if they make DLCs for this one of the first features is just starting as a random merc on the Argo and embracing the sandbox. A story isn't really needed and cuts into replayability.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This is awesome. Also, it reminds me: is it okay to remove armor from an arm that has nothing on it at all? Besides having to replace it, does it do any other harm?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It'd be GOTY if it still worked :argh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

these modding perils I know too well

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Taear posted:

The latter, mine was fine the entire game. In fact it never even got into structure!

I've managed to complete the game, hurrah. It wasn't as bad as the game made out doing the last level.

Like I said earlier the story was alright. I don't like the idea of restoring a noble to their "rightful place" (unless it's a guillotine) but they managed to make do with what they could. It's a bit of a shame you don't get to talk to your crew more I think. I feel very little connection to any of them by the end and other than Yang I didn't really remember who was who either.

As far as outcomes for mercs goes, restoring a noblesse oblige noble back on her throne is about as good as it gets in BT. Even the good ones get fuel air bombed in their sleep and almost wiped out for doing the right thing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

This is awesome. Also, it reminds me: is it okay to remove armor from an arm that has nothing on it at all? Besides having to replace it, does it do any other harm?

Armor on that arm will help spread out damage that would otherwise go into your side torso.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bubbacub posted:

Armor on that arm will help spread out damage that would otherwise go into your side torso.

Yeah I've shaved off 10-20 armor from one arm compared to the other if there is nothing going on on that side and I really really wanted those armor shavings elsewhere. But even an empty arm taking internal damage is time and money in the mechbay. Even when it's good enough to only take 1 day for basic internal dents, that's 1 more day between chained missions that specific mech can't be used if it is your favorite.

"Wow I have literally 1 arm armor left" is a thing that's happened to me more than once at the end of a mission, so I'm probably biased.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 15, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, the story was ok, but I hope if they make DLCs for this one of the first features is just starting as a random merc on the Argo and embracing the sandbox. A story isn't really needed and cuts into replayability.

I would disagree, without a framework I'm just entirely not interested. The normal missions are really repetitive too and get tiresome pretty fast for me. When I backed the game I was ready to pull out if Story didn't get funded!

Eej posted:

As far as outcomes for mercs goes, restoring a noblesse oblige noble back on her throne is about as good as it gets in BT. Even the good ones get fuel air bombed in their sleep and almost wiped out for doing the right thing.

Yea I know that's how BT works. It's just a shame, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Populist revolutions in the BTverse either get crushed underfoot by the aristocracy or become the new aristocracy crushing others under their own foot.

The main difference from reality lies in the tonnage of the foot.