Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Once upon a time I loved his work but man, finding out what kind of man he was really soured me. That said, I do still own the DC collections of his post COIE run.

I've still got a bunch of his She-Hulk issues, all of Next Men. I remember getting on AOL in like 1993 and he did some Q&A chat and thinking it was so cool that I got to ask a famous person a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davebo posted:

I've still got a bunch of his She-Hulk issues, all of Next Men. I remember getting on AOL in like 1993 and he did some Q&A chat and thinking it was so cool that I got to ask a famous person a question.

Thos AOL years were great. Especially when a bunch of people made screen names lampooning his JohnLByrne account.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Thos AOL years were great. Especially when a bunch of people made screen names lampooning his JohnLByrne account.

Was JohnByrne already taken?

-Skwirl

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes and I believe he was asked about it and went on a classic Byrne rant over it as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Yes and I believe he was asked about it and went on a classic Byrne rant over it as well.

I guess JohnLByrne is better than xxxJohnByrne420xxx, but that's still loving hilarious.

-Skwirl

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

John Byrne's Wikiquote entry is, in several places, a masterpiece of juxtaposition. The Neil Gaiman Eternals quote leading into the Lee/Kirby Thor quote is :kiss: but there are others in there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Byrne once boasted that he stood up to Shooter in defence of Alex Saviuk in the middle of the office and the entire bullpen applauded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Byrne once boasted that he stood up to Shooter in defence of Alex Saviuk in the middle of the office and the entire bullpen applauded.

He's also argued extensively that he should be allowed to use the N-word. Since you know, black people use it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

davebo posted:

Well if they don't want the older fans then there's really no point catering to us like they have been recently. I'm just saying if they're gonna keep it up then they'll end up with some of us anyway. Sort of like how Honda came out with the Element and thought it'd be a big hit with young hip kids then it was bought overwhelmingly by seniors.

And yeah I know Wolvie is back, I was running through a list of things they've done/are doing that I like.

They want people that will buy single issues every week, not a guy that only buys it on sale months after its out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

They want people that will buy single issues every week, not a guy that only buys it on sale months after its out.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got my LCS to get me a Rogue and Gambit trade when it comes out in July.

I like the time displaced X-men, but the only one I cared about was Jean, but with regular Jean back, their time is up.

Oh god the cover for AN Wolverine 35 is so adorable.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Roth posted:

Yes I fully get what they WANT (money), I just don't think catering to olds will achieve that, but I don't care because it serves my purposes just fine. Marvel makes so much money on the movies and licensing why even care if the comics are profitable at this point? I'm honestly surprised they don't just scale down titles for simplicity's sake. Some sense that dominating the market is only achieved by volume? I suppose there's value in people walking into a comic store and most of what they see are recognizable Marvel characters.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

davebo posted:

Yes I fully get what they WANT (money), I just don't think catering to olds will achieve that, but I don't care because it serves my purposes just fine. Marvel makes so much money on the movies and licensing why even care if the comics are profitable at this point? I'm honestly surprised they don't just scale down titles for simplicity's sake. Some sense that dominating the market is only achieved by volume? I suppose there's value in people walking into a comic store and most of what they see are recognizable Marvel characters.

I know I've said this a hundred times before, but I'm certain that at this point paper comics are actually losing money. They're being kept alive because they grant legitimacy to Marvel's movies, TV, games and Underoos, which rake in roughly 23 trillion dollars a year each, making the losses from paper negligible.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think that's necessarily true, or books that sold low numbers would continue in perpetuity and books that were big hits wouldn't generate a million spin-offs. If money was irrelevant to these decisions, they wouldn't make much sense.

Also, money-making tactics retailers hate, like having to order unrealistic amounts of an issue before you can order its variant covers, would have no reason to exist. If comics were being sold at a loss to generate public awareness of the characters, the industry wouldn't be so obviously constrained by financial concerns.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
The comic industry topped 1 billion in 2016 but I don't know if it's dipped back below that now. I don't know what the costs are like producing a comic though. Seems like not a whole lot is required. I'd hate to kill off local shops but I wonder if they just had entirely digital distribution at lower prices and a big marketing campaign, if the added readership and revenue would offset all the people who just want to collect a physical comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think they will ever go fully-digital, but I do suspect digital sales will eventually be the main driver of comics sales, and b&m stores will mostly be selling stuff beyond printed comics (and, realistically, the most successful ones at this point are already doing that).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Android Blues posted:

Also, money-making tactics retailers hate, like having to order unrealistic amounts of an issue before you can order its variant covers, would have no reason to exist. If comics were being sold at a loss to generate public awareness of the characters, the industry wouldn't be so obviously constrained by financial concerns.

like having to order unrealistic amounts of an issue before you can order its variant covers,

It's not so much as 'giving comics out to raise awareness'. The problem is that the young'uns today simply are not buying paper comics. Some of them get their fix digitally, but most consider comics to be something their grandparents used to read. The oldsters are the only ones with pull lists, and they're becoming increasingly embittered by thirty years of lovely marketing tactics like ^^that^^.

Thing is, as long as paper comics are sitting in racks somewhere, it it continues the mindset of "Superheroes are as American as apple pie! Everyone loves superheroes!" Whereas if Marvel (and others) were to pull back publication, or go all digital, it would send the message "Superheroes are passe, go play Fortnite".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh, I had no idea Storm would be an actual recurring teammate character on X-Men: Red. Does that mean she's off the Gold team now? As if I couldn't appreciate this book even more!

It does sort of encapsulate the slapdash nature of this roster though, like oh hey, you were in the general vicinity of relevant events occurring, great, you're a main character of this book now! :buddy:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I like the time displaced X-men, but the only one I cared about was Jean, but with regular Jean back, their time is up.

They can all go back but Scott. Unless they bring old Scott back.

There must always be a Cyclops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/996778839308095488

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

They can all go back but Scott. Unless they bring old Scott back.

There must always be a Cyclops.

Bring back old Cyclops.

Cyclops was right.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Taylor ended ANW on a really great note, but I have to say that X-Men Red is just so my jam that I actually preferred the fourth issue to the finale of the series of my favourite character.

Heck yeah, mermaids! :3:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

From the same issue:

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 16, 2018

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Metalshark posted:

Taylor ended ANW on a really great note, but I have to say that X-Men Red is just so my jam that I actually preferred the fourth issue to the finale of the series of my favourite character.

Heck yeah, mermaids! :3:

I like X-Men Red, but the art on this last issue was atrocious. I can't pinpoint why this issue was so much worse than the rest, but that's how it felt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They always forget the toe blades.

That was a great ending, I'm hoping X-23 is a good. The Cap was Dani Cage right?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay so who sent Kitty the bottle of champagne in the Wedding Special?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pubic works project posted:

Okay so who sent Kitty the bottle of champagne in the Wedding Special?

Emma. The initials are E. F.

Dont feel bad, I though Psylock was Kate Bishop at first. I couldn't identify everyone in the last page. Too many redheads. Racheal is easy, but I can only assume the one on the couch is old Jean.

I liked Illyana leather look in that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Dont feel bad, I though Psylock was Kate Bishop at first. I couldn't identify everyone in the last page. Too many redheads. Racheal is easy, but I can only assume the one on the couch is old Jean.

Of course! I thought that was an E, but couldn't tell. I still wouldn't have guessed right.

Thanks!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I can't stop laughing when people refer to Guggenheim's awful Gambit writing as Remy LeBoyo. No idea why he's suddenly got the most stereotypical Welsh (or Irish, where it's actual slang) affectation but he keeps saying "Boyo" and it's the weirdest thing, even by Guggenheim's low, low standards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Emma's still a villain right now right?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Metalshark posted:

I can't stop laughing when people refer to Guggenheim's awful Gambit writing as Remy LeBoyo. No idea why he's suddenly got the most stereotypical Welsh (or Irish, where it's actual slang) affectation but he keeps saying "Boyo" and it's the weirdest thing, even by Guggenheim's low, low standards.

It is extremely weird. I half-thought, "wait, do Cajun dialect speakers say 'boyo' and I'm just not aware of it?".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Obviously he’s saying Beaulieu and it’s being spelled phonetically.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aphrodite posted:

Emma's still a villain right now right?

Flip a coin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm just saying, champagne isn't kosher. Dick move.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm just saying, champagne isn't kosher. Dick move.

There's no way Kitty keeps kosher.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wait, how is alcohol not kosher? This is news to me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aint kosher if it's not produced by observant faithful apparently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aint kosher if it's not produced by observant faithful apparently.

So, then, what if it was Kosher Champagne?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have kosher Champagne but Emma Frost is not buying no $45 bottle of Champagne.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

Wait, how is alcohol not kosher? This is news to me.

Wine has to meet specific guidelines to be considered kosher. Other boozes might be acceptable unless it's passover, depending on what they're made out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

They have kosher Champagne but Emma Frost is not buying no $45 bottle of Champagne.

Uh, she's the White Queen. If there is anyone buying expensive Champagne, it'd be her.

Also, if that's actually cheap for Champagne, I'd just like to say I'm a poor fucker who'd never spend more than 5-10 dollars on a bottle of wine.