Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sazabi posted:

Rommel had a different drink every time they cut back to him. I think the drinks also decreased in complexity as well.

I loved that Rommel's personal ship was a Gallop like Ramba Ral in 0079. It's also Loran and Sochie's ship in Turn-A, but as much as I'd love the Momokapool to indicate the ship was referencing Turn-A it's almost certainly 0079. Especially since Rommel is ferret Ramba in some ways.

chiasaur11 posted:

This episode was actually fun, which is nice. The fight was one sided, but in a "they went in with a good plan, and executed it well against a foe who underestimated them" way, as opposed to just making the heroes invincible.

I really enjoyed almost the whole battle, right up to the finale when our protagonists started dunking special moves on people to take them out one by one. I preferred the quicker attacks built up up to that point, and was disappointed no-one was taken out by one of them really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

I loved that Rommel's personal ship was a Gallop like Ramba Ral in 0079. It's also Loran and Sochie's ship in Turn-A, but as much as I'd love the Momokapool to indicate the ship was referencing Turn-A it's almost certainly 0079. Especially since Rommel is ferret Ramba in some ways.

Ramba Ral was pretty explicitly modeled after Erwin Rommel, and his mythical status as "a good nazi",

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love that the montage has Momoka showing everyone penguin footage

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This was a good episode that gave me more hope for the show. All the new gunpla were good and they actually made use of the SD one the way Try was supposed to, the battle was not quite at BF's highs but certainly better than anything in Try, and the peanut gallery were good. It feels like a return to the cast dynamics of BF, even if the reason the side characters are there was a bit forced. Momokapool is great and I want one.

And in general I get that they wouldn't need to show us the force leaders and Ayame in the real world, it would be kind of disappointing if they didn't. Though I'm guessing they're going to set up Koichi and Ayame so the person behind her will probably appear at least.

Also Magee's butt is going to reach critical mass before the season ends.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

OneDeadman posted:

a good ep

wanna pet the zeon ferret
I enjoyed how someone clearly put more effort into animating this cut than any part of the fighting.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

Rommel was a loving treasure this episode.

3 posted:

Hahaha goddamn that is some dark poo poo:

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Woah, that reference went right over my head

Even better... Ermine Rommel's VA also voiced Ginias in The 08th MS Team.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

holy poo poo the references seem way more in depth than previous installments

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This show, unlike Try, actually gives a poo poo about Gundam as a franchise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's a Zaku Cannon. Which I believe premiered in one of those Dreamcast/PS1 Gundam games

Zaku Cannon is actually from the original Mobile Suit Variations series back in the 80s(and may have been one of the suits from that series that originated as an unused design from MSG like the Gabaldy and the Gigan), and I'm pretty sure it made an appearance during ZZ at some point

Kinda wish the Act Zaku had gotten to do more though, especially considering the surprising amount of background importance it has in the UC timeline(it's supposed to be almost on par with the RX-78 in performance, the Hi Zack and Marasai are supposed to be descended from it*, and indeed it's cost to performance ratio was so good that the Federation ended up mass producing it themselves after the OYW, with it staying in usage up through the Gryps Conflict)

*they even use it's type of Beam Rifle

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Sindai posted:

I enjoyed how someone clearly put more effort into animating this cut than any part of the fighting.

Was gonna say. I think we found the missing animation budget from that desert episode.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nthing the praise for how the show handled team battles and giving everyone's new suits time to shine. I hope Momoka keeps following Tigerwolf's teachings and becomes the super robot pilot of the group. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love that the montage has Momoka showing everyone penguin footage

It's cool that the group didn't think she was being silly for it. When she showed her plans for Koichi he was more "Oh wow, if this is what you want to do then it'd be way faster to create a build from scratch".

Sindai posted:

I loved that as soon as the battle ended, you can see Sarah immediately beelining to pet the ferret.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

Nthing the praise for how the show handled team battles and giving everyone's new suits time to shine. I hope Momoka keeps following Tigerwolf's teachings and becomes the super robot pilot of the group. :allears:

I liked that they had a cliche comedy fumble with the Momokapool but, instead of needing help, she just broke out the Mini one to slap her opponent's poo poo a bit as a brief distraction so she could rally and try again.

And setting up a joint ambush to take full advantage of her using an aquatic mobile suit.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Momokapool doing the Mazinger pose when it used the belly beam was some good poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Isn't lucky tripping sort of Boss Borot's deal too?

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think what I hate most about this show is that all the Cool Guys love to heap praise onto the main kid but its completely unearned from what the show shows us.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ConanThe3rd posted:

Isn't lucky tripping sort of Boss Borot's deal too?

Hopefully that part doesn't happen too often

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

KoB posted:

I think what I hate most about this show is that all the Cool Guys love to heap praise onto the main kid but its completely unearned from what the show shows us.

So far all I know about Riku is:
- he's never done Gunpla battle prior to GBN
- HE'S FAST

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe every other new player is always just a massive scrub that dies immediately and Riku and friends are special by virtue of not being that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Well, Riku wasn't important or notable enough to initially attract these guys' attentions on his own. The champion met Riku and co completely by accident because he was looking to run a newbie mission to investigate mass divers griefing newbies. He got introduced to Shahryar and Kung Fu Wolf by Magee(who is explicitly someone whose hobby is going around helping newbies), they spent time helping Riku as a favor to Magee. Now all of them are interested in seeing where this promising newbie might go with it, especially since now his team has proven that they have chops by flawlessly kicking the poo poo out of another team of newbies trained by Rommel himself.

Riku isn't really much different from Reiji in terms of setup. He's ridiculously talented for someone who is a raw newbie - he beat a ganker on his very first outing and he was able to put up a credible fight against Ogre before losing - and this interests the veterans he ends up coming into contact with. Remember that Fellini, a professional, became friends with Reiji after he watched Reiji beat up a bunch of guys in a gunpla bar while Reiji was still some nobody kid.

That said, what Reiji had and Riku doesn't is personality. Reiji was a stupid cocky rear end in a top hat with a competitive streak as wide as the grand canyon and it made him memorable and endearing. Riku is just kind of a generic earnest excitable kid with no real definable personality traits, and it doesn't help that he and Yukki blur together a lot. The only individual characterization he's gotten so far is "gets annoyed and restless when he loses", which isn't really much characterization at all.

chumbler posted:

Maybe every other new player is always just a massive scrub that dies immediately and Riku and friends are special by virtue of not being that.

This is probably pretty close to the truth, actually. We've been running into guys who are lovely enough at the game that they are using illegal hacks to power themselves up by cheating, and they're still losing. The team they fought in this episode were a bunch of newbies hand picked and trained by Rommel, the #2 guy in the business, and they got rolled. Most people probably just aren't that talented or good at the game initially.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

Well, Riku wasn't important or notable enough to initially attract these guys' attentions on his own. The champion met Riku and co completely by accident because he was looking to run a newbie mission to investigate mass divers griefing newbies. He got introduced to Shahryar and Kung Fu Wolf by Magee(who is explicitly someone whose hobby is going around helping newbies), they spent time helping Riku as a favor to Magee. Now all of them are interested in seeing where this promising newbie might go with it, especially since now his team has proven that they have chops by flawlessly kicking the poo poo out of another team of newbies trained by Rommel himself.

They met Shahryar by accident and Riku/Yuuki impressed him based on how much love they used building their gunpla. And became more invested after that dumb imposter kidnapping poo poo went down. And doubled down in his interest because ol' catman showed interest. The world champion was blown away by their ability to aim at joints and dodge attacks.

The big question is when will Momo take over as team leader. She's first in the opening credits. And half the time she's the only one that moves in any expressive manner, while the others are as stiff as background gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

The big question is when will Momo take over as team leader. She's first in the opening credits. And half the time she's the only one that moves in any expressive manner, while the others are as stiff as background gunpla.

She almost certainly won't. It's just demographic marketing/mascot/fanservice character (choose as preferred).

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

fanservice character

When did you start seeing 12 year old cartoon girls in a sexual way?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sazabi posted:

Nanami dressing her up was total fan service.
Momoka is also just a year younger than Fumina and look at what they did to her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

I never said I did, it's just very easy to spot anime character cliches. They're not subtle, for one thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kanos posted:

This is probably pretty close to the truth, actually. We've been running into guys who are lovely enough at the game that they are using illegal hacks to power themselves up by cheating, and they're still losing. The team they fought in this episode were a bunch of newbies hand picked and trained by Rommel, the #2 guy in the business, and they got rolled. Most people probably just aren't that talented or good at the game initially.

I imagine that for an popular MMO, it might be tough to find newbies who aren't some manner of assholes, scammers or competitive tryhards. Also, Kyoya mentions that there's been a ton of newbies trying to use illegal hacks lately. So I find that it makes sense for these top players to be interested in talented newcomers who just want to enjoy the game and have fun.

Sazabi posted:

I honestly hope this leads to Momoka and Tigerdog having an honorable duel down the line like Domon and Master Asia.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

amigolupus posted:

I honestly hope this leads to Momoka and Tigerdog having an honorable duel down the line like Domon and Master Asia.

I hope if that happens they go whole hog and include a teary death scene, with Momo screaming as the camera pulls back on a setting sun etc followed by his body dissolving in to data and then respawning in the hub area.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Come on, that's a pretty goddamn lovely accusation to throw out there. The term "fanservice" explicitly doesn't only refer to panty shots and sexualization.

Patrick Colasaur being easter egged into every episode is fanservice. Rommel the Zeon Ferret's entire group wearing Zeon uniforms and using a variety of Zaku variants is fanservice. Momoka having an entire sequence where Nanami dressed her up in cute outfits that were worn by past Gundam characters is fanservice, despite being not sexualized in the slightest.

Fumina from Build Fighters Try was ridiculously sexualized. Momoka has not been sexualized at all in the least, but has still been used as a non-sexual fanservice character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

I just want to say that this is a beautiful username-post combo.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Darth Walrus posted:

I just want to say that this is a beautiful username-post combo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When Gundam Build Divers wants you to be aroused by a character, it's not exactly subtle about it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Riku needs to tighten up the team dress code. We have at least two members in violation of the "must have fingerless gloves" uniform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Riku needs to tighten up the team dress code. We have at least two members in violation of the "must have fingerless gloves" uniform.

Woah there, that's just stupid.

Koichi is clearly wearing long-enough sleeves to qualify if Sarah's wristwarmers count.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sarah's wristwarmers actually have parts that wrap around the palm of the hand. They're actually gloves. KO-1 is merely wearing long sleeves. :colbert:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

Sarah's wristwarmers actually have parts that wrap around the palm of the hand. They're actually gloves. KO-1 is merely wearing long sleeves. :colbert:

The organization Sleeves in Unicorn used a Galbaldy, just like sadelf. Man this show can get really subtle with it's references.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

First half was good, I'm always up for a bit of bear based fan service. Treasure hunt was also pretty cute, I laughed at the EWAC Zaku bit more than I really should have.

The final act kinda fell flat for me though. While it was interesting enough story development that the break decals were just being dealt like drugs, the fan girls sub plot relied way too hard on an emotional investment in these two cardboard cut outs we'd never seen before.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I like the whole Break Decal = Drugs analogy but the problem with it is that when you make that analogy the first question that should of been asked to newbie girl is WHO actually sold her the Break Decal. Or anyone they encountered that used Break Decals for that matter.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, a MS Saga reference

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

drat, a MS Saga reference

That's especially multi-layered, since the Japanese title of MS Saga was Gundam True Odyssey: The Legend of Lost G, not MS Saga: A New Dawn.

It's so similar that it almost has to be a reference, though.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 22, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

That's especially multi-layered, since the Japanese title of MS Saga was Gundam True Odyssey: The Legend of Lost G, not MS Saga: A New Dawn.

It's so similar that it almost has to be a reference, though.

That's what's written underneath the Beargguy Quest title, just with a B instead :ssh:
Seems like the translator got the reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

That's what's written underneath the Beargguy Quest title, just with a B instead :ssh:
Seems like the translator got the reference.

Hell yeah.

This show's reference game is ridiculously on point.

• Locked thread