Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I finished assembling my (practically) first model, a 1/100 Metal Gear Rex! Y’all told me to buy a gundam marker, so I got a really fine one. Now uh, what do I do with this thing. Like, are there any lines I shouldnt mark? Should I just focus on the big stuff?
I don’t think I want to get as involved as painting this guy, but I would like to clean him up and make him a little pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RillAkBea posted:

I picked up the Leo today and it looks good so far. Here's the culmination of the promises of streamlined runners:

(Possibly hilariously big because I'm phone posting)

As I had heard the only polys included are the same little balls you get with Petitgguys. For the shoulders and waist, they've pretty much just switched the construction so the cups that would usually be polys are now PS. The knees and elbows meanwhile are all PS and actually clip in after construction for easier painting.

Oh hey, that's what they do for the LBX kits.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Re: airbrush cleaning - if I'm using acrylics, I use Windex first, swabbing the cup and needle as I spray, and then finish up with lacquer thinner, same swabbing. It helps cut down on the amount of volatile spraying but also costs - generic Windex is cheap, lacquer thinner by the gallon is a little more pricey.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAT BATMAN posted:

I finished assembling my (practically) first model, a 1/100 Metal Gear Rex! Y’all told me to buy a gundam marker, so I got a really fine one. Now uh, what do I do with this thing. Like, are there any lines I shouldnt mark? Should I just focus on the big stuff?
I don’t think I want to get as involved as painting this guy, but I would like to clean him up and make him a little pretty.

Line everything. If you don’t like it it’s easy to clean off.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

For Airbrush cleaning, I tend to use water + paper towels first to clean out anything in the actual cup. Then I go with spraying airbrush cleaner (Iwata recently because Amazon has a decently sized bottle). This is my between-colors cleaning.

At the end, I do all that, plus remove the needle and physically wipe down, run a pipe cleaner through the airbrush itself, and physically clean the nozzle pieces too. It mostly works.

I pretty much spray acrylics exclusively.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Re: bottles, Harbor Freight sells three-packs of squeeze bottles for like $2. Pour your thinner into one, Windex into another, bada bing.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Tsubasa2004 posted:

What're you using to clean with? Airbrush cleaner is kind of weak in my experience. I'd recommend 91% isopropyl alcohol in a wash bottle as a standard cleaner. And for really stubborn gunk, Mr. Tool Cleaner R will melt just about anything.

Was using tamiya airbrush thinner

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FAT BATMAN posted:

You can line what you want to line. If you don't like a line you did you can generally remove it with alcohol and a cotton swab or a rubber eraser, but it can be a bit tricky to get it ALL out of a crevasse.

Here is a quick guide on it, there are more resources available of course. But with panel lining it's about what YOU think looks good. Some people like lines lighter and more realistic, others prefer them heavy and more "anime" (I don't tend to prefer this but many here like it)

https://blog.fromjapan.co.jp/en/anime/gundam/gundam-panel-lining-gunplas-guide-to-markers-and-paints.html

e: here are two lined Metal Gear Rexes, one with an obvious paint job too, so you can get an idea of where someone else chose to line :

https://www.gundamplanet.com/1-100-metal-gear-rex-mgs-4-ver.html
http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/metal_gear_rex

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 14, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

asterioth posted:

Was using tamiya airbrush thinner

That's probably why you may be having issues.

If it's anything like x20 acrylic thinner, it'll react with the Vallejo, Tamiya being an alcohol based acrylic with Vallejo being water based.

If you have some coloured Vallejo mecha, try mixing it with the Tamiya airbrush thinner in a something and see if it clumps up.

(Granted I haven't used Tamiya AB thinner so someone may be able to correct me If I'm wrong.)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
finished MG Turn-A

only complaint with it is that the legs pop out easily as the hip joints are pretty shallow. otherwise it has a powerful mustache, sexy legs, included cow, 10/10 all around

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Puddin posted:

That's probably why you may be having issues.

If it's anything like x20 acrylic thinner, it'll react with the Vallejo, Tamiya being an alcohol based acrylic with Vallejo being water based.

If you have some coloured Vallejo mecha, try mixing it with the Tamiya airbrush thinner in a something and see if it clumps up.

(Granted I haven't used Tamiya AB thinner so someone may be able to correct me If I'm wrong.)

Er, I meant to say the airbrush cleaner not the thinner. Not sure why I said thinner.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Kuvo posted:

finished MG Turn-A

only complaint with it is that the legs pop out easily as the hip joints are pretty shallow. otherwise it has a powerful mustache, sexy legs, included cow, 10/10 all around

Mine never had this problem but I've found that it really likes to pop the cockpit glass off and also that posing it with the beam rifle is basically impossible.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

So heres how the Altron turned out, there's a couple of areas the top coat went on a bit thick I think, but overall I like it. Going to take the arm segments off and try to sand off the topcoat that went in there, they're too tight and are rubbing it off anyway.

Almost forgot, when I was taking it apart to decal it I broke the waist part, so I went ahead and trimmed it and sanded it to be angled like it is now rather than trying to glue/cement it.

asterioth fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 15, 2018

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So one of the Sydney stores carries a surprising amount of mechanicore kits. Including the clear red Kyrosa Q. If only I had a spare $599....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Virsago Chest Break and Leopard Destroy?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

asterioth posted:

So heres how the Altron turned out, there's a couple of areas the top coat went on a bit thick I think, but overall I like it. Going to take the arm segments off and try to sand off the topcoat that went in there, they're too tight and are rubbing it off anyway.

Almost forgot, when I was taking it apart to decal it I broke the waist part, so I went ahead and trimmed it and sanded it to be angled like it is now rather than trying to glue/cement it.

WOW, what incredible talent! And a really good choice of gundam too. I really liked wing and that is a cool version. Are you like a genius painter or something as a main profession?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is the HG Graze out of production or something? Up to £25 on Amazon where all the other grunt suits are less than half that and have been trickling down in price for weeks.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sassassin posted:

Is the HG Graze out of production or something? Up to £25 on Amazon where all the other grunt suits are less than half that and have been trickling down in price for weeks.

Production tends to go in waves, so they probably just haven't printed any for a while. The Schwalbe Graze was the same way for a while, eventually it'll show up again.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

EVGA Longoria posted:

The Schwalbe Graze was the same way for a while, eventually it'll show up again.

Was just going to post the same thing. Completely sold out on Amazon few weeks ago, now plenty in stock $15-20

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Leo was supposed to come out today but it got pushed back to the 30th :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Leo was supposed to come out today but it got pushed back to the 30th :(

...no it didn't? Mine shipped from HLJ and are already in Canada.

https://hlj.com/product/BANN24023 - still in stock.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

...no it didn't? Mine shipped from HLJ and are already in Canada.

https://hlj.com/product/BANN24023 - still in stock.

I mean the American release. Like from Gamestop or other American stores

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean the American release. Like from Gamestop or other American stores

Oh, whoops.

Hopefully it was delayed cause Japan had to steal America's stock cause of high demand. :v:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

WOW, what incredible talent! And a really good choice of gundam too. I really liked wing and that is a cool version. Are you like a genius painter or something as a main profession?

Hahah, thank you. But when it comes to painting the only thing I did that was close to painting was the top coat, the different greens are how its molded.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That Altron looks really good.

I kind of always liked the look of the bare plastic with panel lining, decals, and a matte coat over it. I thought that it did a good job of making the model look like it did in the original animation as long as the colours were correct and properly separated to begin with and I never felt like putting in the work just to repaint it in essentially the same colour anyway.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Unless your doing a recolour, the only things you really want paint is gold, cause no plastic is going to give you the same finish as an actual gold paint.

But then you think, well now the gold looks better and now I have to paint the whole kit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there any place that still sells individual parts? I'm looking for a replacement for the fins on my Miss Sazabi after a drunken accident with a hobby knife.

otherwise I'm probably going to have to scratch build them I guess.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Which version is that? Looks really nice but it doesn't seem to match the others ive seen, different shoulder armor and the colors are nicer, I think.

Lancelot Conquista. I still have the wing portion left, which is pretty bulky. I kind of like it this way, so I may end up keeping it like that. We'll see.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looks like Robin Williams was into anime figures:

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996507930487767040

Those two blurry kits look familiar but I'm rusty on old Japanese robot toys.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996511484652830720

hell ya scopedogs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

noted aura battler dunbine fan Robin Williams

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

noted aura battler dunbine fan Robin Williams

I just learned about this series' existence this week from Super Robot Wars X, it seems very weird but the theme is kickin rad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anora posted:

Looks like Robin Williams was into anime figures:

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996507930487767040

Those two blurry kits look familiar but I'm rusty on old Japanese robot toys.

Robin Williams was reputedly a massive anime fan in general.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He brought in his own Mass Production Eva toy for "One Hour Photo"

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Zelda says he has a whole box full of Eva stuff.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
For my next purchase, I decided to let my wife pick the kit.

She knows nothing about Gundam other than my massive addiction to it and pretty much knowing the theme song to the original series I watched when I was super sick and binge watched while she was working.

I'm pretty interested to see what she chooses compared to the ones that I normally look at.

Actually that would make a good topic for the next build, match up with a user, set a tight price limit and have someone else choose the kit and see what comes from having to paint up a kit that you may not really normally go for?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

He brought in his own Mass Production Eva toy for "One Hour Photo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FmFaK7pMU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Kuvo posted:

hell ya scopedogs

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Puddin posted:

For my next purchase, I decided to let my wife pick the kit.

She knows nothing about Gundam other than my massive addiction to it and pretty much knowing the theme song to the original series I watched when I was super sick and binge watched while she was working.

I'm pretty interested to see what she chooses compared to the ones that I normally look at.

My girlfriend did that for me last christmas. It was pretty cute, she got me the Zaku Warrior Concert Ver. and the K9 Dog pack because dogs and pink Zaku. :3: And yeah, I probably wouldn't have bought those otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

Actually that would make a good topic for the next build, match up with a user, set a tight price limit and have someone else choose the kit and see what comes from having to paint up a kit that you may not really normally go for?

I think just a basic "Pick a kit" idea might work for a thread/contest/thing. Lock it to HG kits (because that'll limit the budget nicely for the most part), maybe mention the ones you explicitly don't want (eg; none of the Fumina's, no Build Fighters that kinda thing), and see what the next user picks for you. Just name a kit, maybe point a link to where it can be purchased, and state your own requirements for the next user.

If you want to get fancy, make it an HG kit and an HGBC accessory pack.