Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Klyith posted:

gives a bonus (or penalty) to rewards for missions

also possibly the max danger level of missions they'll give to you. simgameconstants has numbers for that but I'm not sure exactly how or whether it works. has anyone here actually gotten a faction to dislike them?

I got -2 with the Directorate. Which took forever, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I see a shop with Catapult, are these fixed no matter what the game progression is and where are the other Heavies?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Am I the only one who drops all their LRMs like a stone? Everyone seems to be using LRM carriers, while I find them just too much hassle to use with a bunch of close-range mechs- I prefer the tonnage to go to more lasers/heat sinks/SRMs
I still don't have the traditional catapult. But I'm the guy who still builds their token "LRM Boat" bot like an OG Catapult :shobon: if with some extra love in sinks and armor to only bring 2 lasers.

Then I hit a moon map and they are the only one firing loving nonstop forever between jump jet spam.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I use a stock Cat C1 as fire support, but everything I configure to be short range. I prefer the AC/20, SRM, ML game.
This is a mech pilot with class.

It will be a shame if it's thrown under the bus by people complaining how the Catapult is garbage without dual +Stab LRM20s at minimum because you can't shoehorn in 4 LRM launchers like the Jager A. Then turning around to beg for nerfs due to their love of 100 and up stab per alpha ace customs.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
With as well as HBS has done with their TT game reboots, I'd kill to have them make a real sequel to Autoduel/Car Wars. Man my friends and I wasted so many hours on that poo poo back in the day.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Towards the end of my campaign I was rocking the SLDF Highlander with the LRMs taken out and 2 SRM6s put in, stock otherwise, an Orion with an AC 20 and 4 SRM4s, a Punch-Mech Grasshopper with a bunch of MLs, and finally, a Stalker with an LRM 20, 2 LRM 15s, and an LRM 10. All +++. That's it. No other weapons, just missiles and ammo. It stays waaaay in the back and just rains down murder. You can't half-rear end LRMs, you gotta boat them to have any kind of appreciable effect. Incidentally, I was disappointed to learn there's no achievement for knocking down 3 separate mechs with one multishot in one turn.

Section Z posted:

I still don't have the traditional catapult. But I'm the guy who still builds their token "LRM Boat" bot like an OG Catapult :shobon: if with some extra love in sinks and armor to only bring 2 lasers.

Then I hit a moon map and they are the only one firing loving nonstop forever between jump jet spam.

This is a mech pilot with class.

It will be a shame if it's thrown under the bus by people complaining how the Catapult is garbage without dual +Stab LRM20s at minimum because you can't shoehorn in 4 LRM launchers like the Jager A. Then turning around to beg for nerfs due to their love of 100 and up stab per alpha ace customs.

I really want them to put in the Cat C3, I think? The one with 6 Missile Hardpoints from MWO. Load that fucker up with 6 SRM6s and go nuts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Towards the end of my campaign I was rocking the SLDF Highlander with the LRMs taken out and 2 SRM6s put in, stock otherwise, an Orion with an AC 20 and 4 SRM4s, a Punch-Mech Grasshopper with a bunch of MLs, and finally, a Stalker with an LRM 20, 2 LRM 15s, and an LRM 10. All +++. That's it. No other weapons, just missiles and ammo. It stays waaaay in the back and just rains down murder. You can't half-rear end LRMs, you gotta boat them to have any kind of appreciable effect. Incidentally, I was disappointed to learn there's no achievement for knocking down 3 separate mechs with one multishot in one turn.

I really want them to put in the Cat C3, I think? The one with 6 Missile Hardpoints from MWO. Load that fucker up with 6 SRM6s and go nuts.

You put srms on a mech with a huge min range gauss rifle?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Next playthrough: No 3/5 mechs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

If you get tactics to 10 then you can fill your robot with LRMs that will get an 80% to hit rate when you're really really close.
And it shoots so many missiles at once you can destroy almost anything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Next playthrough: No 3/5 mechs.

What does "3/5" mean here - there's some context I'm clearly missing from another version of Battletech?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Maybe he means mechs with 3/5 movement in the tabletop game, also known as Every Good 3025-Era Assault Mech

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ulmont posted:

What does "3/5" mean here - there's some context I'm clearly missing from another version of Battletech?

It's the move speed in hexes of the slowest Mechs: the Awesome, Atlas, Highlander, King crab, Stalker, and Urbie.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New maps is my #1 most wanted thing at this point.

I'd like to prohibit vehicles from driving into water. Seeing a submerged tank shoot at you just looks weird.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Gwaihir posted:

It's the move speed in hexes of the slowest Mechs: the Awesome, Atlas, Highlander, King crab, Stalker, and Urbie.

The Urbanmech is 2/3 you noob

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
The Argo manages to survive petty pirate attack events well enough, and even has an aerofighter bay on its schematics, though I wouldn't trust what is ultimately a civilian spacecraft against foes that are determined to sink it.

The things that would compel Comstar to do that would be the detailed SLDF map used to find Outpost Nautilus, which they likely don't have if Nautilus was intact after all this time, and a very unfriendly ghost prototype that they want to keep out of the hands of the ignorant Houses, with knowledge of their existence fortunately limited to a trusted few. The circumstances around the unexpected sinking of the Iberia over Coromidir might raise some eyebrows though.

Tarezax posted:

There weren't any procedurally generated missions in MW4: Mercs either. All missions were part of a mini-campaign on each planet, often with a story branch depending on which contract you chose next. For example, on Styk, you get a choice between honor guard for peace talks between the locals and the Capellans or sabotaging the peace talks by assassinating the local delegates (of course at the behest of House Liao)
MW2: Mercs had a surprising amount of mission content for a game made two decades ago, including branching missions if you failed one of the main campaign missions, and a wide variety of one-offs. Sadly most of the effort that went into those was wasted because the latter wouldn't come up in the standard merc campaign, only in the mercenary commander mode, and failing a mission (without quitting it at the start) likely wound up with your character dead or mech wrecked so everyone just reloaded whenever things went pear-shaped.
It'd be interesting if the game generated a fixed force of opposing mechs to appear across a planetary campaign, so you could weigh the tradeoffs between facing down reinforcements or hunting down stragglers in a mission with potentially having to face them in the future, with limited resources for repairing mechs and healing pilots between missions. I feel that'd give a lot more oomph to the idea of good faith withdrawals and would also work well with the idea of your mercs running into rival outfits working for the other side, or even one of the space-famous commands.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

peer posted:

The Urbanmech is 2/3 you noob

They sped it up in this game.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

peer posted:

Maybe he means mechs with 3/5 movement in the tabletop game, also known as Every Good 3025-Era Assault Mech

Exactly. Dont expect it to be super hard but it will be slightly different at least.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some kind of Shadows of Mordor-style nemesis system might be cool.

The only real gripe I have with the game so far (which has lead to me starting a new campaign rather than playing around post-story) is the fact that there don't seem to be any low tonnage missions available, so taking any lights/mediums is a liability. I want a reason to use my Firestarter! :saddowns: I'm glad that the devs seem to agree that this is an issue, though. I'm playing around pre-Weldry in my current campaign, and its good fun just rolling around with a mixed light-medium lance (with optional Thunderbolt), and fighting comparable enemies, with the occasional heavy or two thrown in as a challenge. I really like the "mini-campaign" concept that some of you in have raised. Having a bunch of linked missions with different suggested tonnages would be a nice way to ensure the entire mech bay gets used (especially if there's no downtime in between missions - although having enough pilots would be an issue).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Taear posted:

If you get tactics to 10 then you can fill your robot with LRMs that will get an 80% to hit rate when you're really really close.
And it shoots so many missiles at once you can destroy almost anything.

Straight up I think it was a massive mistake to have the tactics skill reduce minimum ranges.

The effect is that as the game progresses the downside of one class of weapons (long range hard hitters) disappears whereas no other class of weapons gets a similar benefit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Straight up I think it was a massive mistake to have the tactics skill reduce minimum ranges.

The effect is that as the game progresses the downside of one class of weapons (long range hard hitters) disappears whereas no other class of weapons gets a similar benefit.
The first -45 isn't so bad for all weapons since it helps encourage you to do anything but hang back at the farthest edge of it's weapons range lest you take one extra step and get hosed over.

Point blank AC5 also needs the love.

But a +variant 50 stability damage PPC at point blank range? Yeah that's when it starts getting crazy.

EDIT: I guess as much as anything is because "Stock mechs". A skill that reduces the minimum range on LRMS and PPCs won't be too crazy on the AI that outnumbers you, and maybe even encourage it to be a more interesting fight than more "Welp the enemy catapult spent the last two turns kiting us, then it's extraction escape point spawned on top of it to limp into with one leg and half a body. Boy that sure wasn't a waste of time" gameplay for people to claim is gold.

People talk up making lighter mechs more relevant, and hey guess what the single token AC on several brawler inclined medium mechs is. Easy to forget when you're tearing out your Shadowhawk's AC5 in favor of more missiles.

But skills that directly buff Medium lasers? Yeah, the enemy is loving loaded with those. Individually or as a group. So reduced minimum range skills are a bigger deal for the player who is more prone to boat them or need to enter brawling with any weapons they can fit into their 4 bot lance.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alchenar posted:

I think LRM minimum ranges would be less of an issue if the long range holepunchers were a little better. There's got to be something which could make the long range direct fire weapons really appealing, but by the time you're at tactics 10 you're probably running up against heavies if not assaults, and at that point the AC/2 isn't, the LL isn't, the PPC isn't. The upgraded PPC with +stab damage is nice, though.

On similar lines, Juggernaut doesn't have any effect against Assaults which isn't great. There are definitely some skills which could use a revisit. I want to see Juggernaut make punching really, really good. Called punches, for all I know. Unlock special Mech Wrestling Moves (if they ADD THE CHARGER) perhaps.

I mean right now, at least how I play, it's always a surprise when you go in for a punch and your pilot just straight up punches the enemy mech's head off. Brutal. adding a little more nuance to melee other than "DFA or punch, pick one" could be interesting.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 16, 2018

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I kicked a Jenner in the toilet bowl and it exploded. I was happy with that.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Oh, I forgot, the SLDF Highlander also had a +Stab PPC in it too. I was really big on SRMs, ton-for-ton and heat-wise they're pretty great, especially since the ACs just don't feel satisfying. Tons of mechs have like 4+ ballistic slots and the most you can realistically fit is like 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I keep thinking knocking over a mech is crowd control/hitting them with Juggernaut is crowd control.
But by the time you're at the end it's totally meaningless because they appear to have infinite HP pilots and they just get up in the same phase they would have done anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taear posted:

I keep thinking knocking over a mech is crowd control/hitting them with Juggernaut is crowd control.
But by the time you're at the end it's totally meaningless because they appear to have infinite HP pilots and they just get up in the same phase they would have done anyway.

Guts 7 gets you to 5 total health which is a bitch to get through.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Taear posted:

You can still burn through them if you really want, hit the LT + maybe get a head hit + knockdown is 3 health right there. Plus ammo explosions. Then let them get up and do it again to the RT, then a leg. When I see a mech I want, I get it. :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

week 89, day 4. the restoration is complete. dekker and behemoth survived, though neither was healthy for the final fight.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Enemy pilots have the exact same health values as yours do based on their stats. I've KOed pilots in just as many hits as I expected based on their class indicators. :shrug:

That said, I'm becoming fond of just legging them to force a knockdown and called-shot taking out the other leg to get 2 salvage and call it a day now that I have enough high-tactics pilots. Setting up for a 3-salvage incapacitation kill is a lot of turns I'd rather spend blowing apart the other 7 mechs on the field.

I have found this basically doesn't work against pirate mechs late game, since 25% or even 50% armor versus the firepower I'm bringing means blowthrough and transferred damage even when I don't want it. For those, I just try to headcap.

e: my favorite enemy lances are the ones that are composed entirely of Thunderbolts with missile ammo stored in the CT. One-shot killing heavies is so wrong, and yet, so right.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 16, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Section Z posted:

Lurmboat Tiers:

God Tier:
Welfare Highlander
Stalker
Jagermech A

Good Tier:
Orion V
Highlander 733P
Victor 9S

Okay Tier:
Catapult C1
Orion K
Thunderbolt 5S/5SE
Victor 9B

Baby Tier:
Centurion A

Don't Bother Tier:
Everything else

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would love to see a more robust melee system in the future. How does it differ on the tabletop? Can mechs grapple with each other? Do some mechs punch/kick/ram better than others? Is the mech-climbing/hijacking from Mechassault actually a thing?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Psion posted:

Enemy pilots have the exact same health values as yours do based on their stats. I've KOed pilots in just as many hits as I expected based on their class indicators. :shrug:

That requires knowing what the class indicators are! I can't even remember what classes my characters said they were let alone what the baddies say.
I just think that I knock something down and think "Yessss" then it just gets up next turn and nothing bad has happened at all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I posted a list of them but I'm on phone now so you'll just have to click the ? under my avtitlebit

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xarbala posted:

I posted a list of them but I'm on phone now so you'll just have to click the ? under my avtitlebit

i got ya

Xarbala posted:

Class names by Specialization:

Gun2/Pilot1 - Skirmisher
Gun2/Guts1 - Lancer
Gun2/Tac1 - Sharpshooter
Pilot2/Gun1 - Flanker
Pilot2/Guts1 - Outrider
Pilot2/Tac1 - Recon
Guts2/Gun1 - Gladiator
Guts2/Pilot1 - Brawler
Guts2/Tac1 - Sentinel
Tac2/Gun1 - Striker
Tac2/Pilot1 - Scout
Tac2/Guts1 - Vanguard

so obviously the ones to keep an eye out for as "just core the thing" are Guts 2, like Gladiator, Brawler, Sentinel, though Guts1 (Lancer, Outrider, Vanguard) are also possible jerks re: incapacitation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ChickenHeart posted:

I would love to see a more robust melee system in the future. How does it differ on the tabletop? Can mechs grapple with each other? Do some mechs punch/kick/ram better than others? Is the mech-climbing/hijacking from Mechassault actually a thing?

tt:

support weapons don't exist, you can punch with an arm that doesn;t fire weapons, kicking forces a piloting check (and on you if you miss),kicking does more damage than punching but you can punch 2x, dfa is all but suicidal

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's also melee weapons, and the ability to pick up stuff like trees and fallen arms and legs to bash stuff with

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
what about flying elbow drops?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ChickenHeart posted:

Is the mech-climbing/hijacking from Mechassault actually a thing?

Not really, no. elementals or similar can do melee/swarm attacks but nothing is as hilariously broken as the MA2 armor's mortar. And neurohacking.

mechs trying to rid themselves of swarming elementals can accidentally punch themselves in the head if they fail a roll, which means you can destroy your own mech by punching yourself in the face with your own robot fist, though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

Not really, no. elementals or similar can do melee/swarm attacks but nothing is as hilariously broken as the MA2 armor's mortar. And neurohacking.

mechs trying to rid themselves of swarming elementals can accidentally punch themselves in the head if they fail a roll, which means you can destroy your own mech by punching yourself in the face with your own robot fist, though

This is, by the way, why Elementals are hilarious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would really like melee to give the option to punch or kick and have elevation play a part. It really takes me out of it when a mech down a hill from my mech kicks, and hits a torso.

I would also like to see dismembered mechs do less melee damage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I like the fairly straightforward "melee is never wrong" system we have now and I think that should be retained - not to say we can't have some additional complexity or something like guts 2 unlocking a flying bodyslam attack (sprint + melee?) or whatever, but i'm not really for bringing in a significant number of additional TT melee rules and modifiers, personally. the choice to smash a robot with your robot fist should always be "yes or yes" :v:

support weapons already change the equation quite a bit, so balancing around those plus a punch vs a kick vs elevation seems like it could get out of hand pretty quick.

bringing Angel of Death back on the other hand :getin:
(don't do this)

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

bringing Angel of Death back on the other hand :getin:
(don't do this)

Angel of Death Victor in Beta 1 was hilarious.