Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Angel of Death Victor in Beta 1 was hilarious.

of all the skills to just say "nope" and remove outright, it was the right one to remove

but man it was hilarious playing jetpack super mario bros where the goombas were 100t assaults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You can still burn through them if you really want, hit the LT + maybe get a head hit + knockdown is 3 health right there. Plus ammo explosions. Then let them get up and do it again to the RT, then a leg. When I see a mech I want, I get it. :v:

the point he's making is they are not crowd control, ie the mmo/moba term for reducing your threat load by temporarily disabling enemies. killing a pilot is super effective, but short of that a knockdown isn't really effective as crowd control.

however, the main thing is that knockdowns aren't meant to be crowd control.

Taear posted:

I just think that I knock something down and think "Yessss" then it just gets up next turn and nothing bad has happened at all.

the point of a knockdown isn't to disable the mech for a turn, it's to get a bunch of free called shots against a helpless opponent. if you are pushing a mech over from unsteady to knockdown and you don't have other units ready to put the boot in before it's initiative phase when it can stand up, you are making a tactical error. a knockdown that immediately gets back up is a waste.

you need to think more about managing initiative and activation order. either knockdown a mech that has already taken it's turn, or one that won't get a turn until after your units can go. and yes, this is kinda difficult if you have all assaults. master tactician is a god-tier skill late game for exactly that reason.

leaving a mech unsteady isn't terrible. that often *is* effective as crowd control because they will brace to get rid of the stab bars. (if they have bulwark is isn't much good, but anyone else is effectively skipping a turn.)

I'm with you on juggernaut being a worthless skill though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Juggernaut would be a far more desirable skill if it debuffed the target, like a targeting penalty like the PPC or have it so that it automatically at least staggers the target, allowing for a juggernaut pilot to potentially be able to knock down a non-staggered opponent with a single melee attack.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Juggernaut should just be rock 'em sock 'em two Melee attacks, giving it a chance to unsteady on the first and knockdown on the second (then firing lasers after). It'd still be basically impossible to go straight to knockdown if the target hadn't already eaten some stability damage first, but having a melee unit that could potentially push a target straight to knockdown would be useful.

The -1 initiative to the target is already inferior to just knocking them down (which does -1 initiative and leaves them open to called shots), which is the biggest reason why Juggernaut isn't especially valuable. If knockdowns didn't inflict initiative pushback Juggernaut as-is might be slightly more valuable (but it would still be bad).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Klyith posted:

leaving a mech unsteady isn't terrible. that often *is* effective as crowd control because they will brace to get rid of the stab bars. (if they have bulwark is isn't much good, but anyone else is effectively skipping a turn.)

I don't think I've ever seen an enemy mech brace to get rid of stab damage. They all suicide into you as much as they can, regardless of what's going on.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
To be honest I'm just really hoping there's some justification for having a Battlemaster pick up a Commando to smack another Commando with it/have said Commandos hurricarana the Battlemaster off an office building.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Charger Grasshopper tag team when.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Taear posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an enemy mech brace to get rid of stab damage. They all suicide into you as much as they can, regardless of what's going on.
The AI LOVES to brace in my experience.

If it even has the option to, that is. Of course they won't brace if they had near zero stability, or when you hammer that reserve button so they are not even allowed to brace before you are able to attack them six+ times in a row

Yes they will happily suicide play, but if they have a viable amount of allies in the field they seem much more likely to brace than take that grand last stand.

I've spread fire around for fun, and had the nerve to attack mechs without waiting for them to have no option to react. So I see them brace for more than just "I'm not able to reach my weapons range so may as well hit that brace button on approach" between waiting until they have already gone to lay into them. An hour ago I belted out a mid turn DFA for fun, and their reaction was to back off and hit brace while it's friends took shots at my side but didn't manage a knockdown due to high level piloting and evasion matrix dodges. Hardly a rare occurrence with my dipping into the "gently caress it, this is cooler" playbook. (Maybe it remembered the last time it tried another mission, it MISSED the melee :xcom: ).

This sort of "Smart play" moment by the AI is overlooked because when it happens, people are often too busy screaming "Oh my god, this brain dead AI isn't punishing my DFA by trying to punch me back! Don't they know they might roll a random cockpit kill?".

AI making suicide plays instead of bracing? So dumb.
AI bracing instead of making suicide plays? See above.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Taerkar posted:

Juggernaut would be a far more desirable skill if it debuffed the target, like a targeting penalty like the PPC or have it so that it automatically at least staggers the target, allowing for a juggernaut pilot to potentially be able to knock down a non-staggered opponent with a single melee attack.

I would have have made it give you brace after meleeing, but someone in Discord came up with letting your melee at run distance instead of walk distance. Both of those would be huge improvements.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

I would have have made it give you brace after meleeing, but someone in Discord came up with letting your melee at run distance instead of walk distance. Both of those would be huge improvements.

Having it enable charge attacks would be amazing, especially if they kept a movement-based damage bonus.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Having it enable charge attacks would be amazing, especially if they kept a movement-based damage bonus.

I like this better than bracing after a melee because a good pilot probably has a high piloting skill as well. I'd help synergize those skills.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

i'm here for this rework

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'd love sprint-into-melee as a skill but I feel like it would be excessively strong. Even an Atlas can move pretty far doing a full sprint with high piloting skill. Melee has a ton of strengths and the only thing holding it back is how awkward it is to get into a good position to actually throw a melee attack.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DatonKallandor posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sprint-melee sounds absolutely amazing, right up until the point where I remember that the AI would also get this power. Then I'm like nope! because the AI with charge attacks would be absolutely infuriating.

Because despite my experience of the game being a lot more like

Section Z posted:

The AI LOVES to brace in my experience.
than

Taear posted:

They all suicide into you as much as they can, regardless of what's going on.
the AI does like going for melee attacks when it can get them, and in an 8v4 fight dealing with a sprint-melee banzai charge into your line would be hellish. Meanwhile the opportunity to use it yourself would be way more restrained.

Brace after melee + keeping the current initiative knockback actually sounds like a good combo. I think it might create a viable role for lighter mechs as a guard-breaker -- using melee to remove a brace is neat but currently difficult because you leave your guy open for a lot of counter-attack damage. The brace would be great for that. And in the hands of the AI, it's good but not insane.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress, my saved is bugged. I load up my mission (and have no other saves) and my dudes are just chilling, my turn doesn't "start".

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I'm at Served Cold and have two heavies and two mediums on the field. These are the best I have.

I haven't seen a single Assault in 280 days, and heavies just started being more than rare sightings.

I'm loving this up somehow. No other post around my point in the game has the same mech situation as me. It seems like my bays should be filled with heavies by now by the sounds of things.

What did I do wrong? Time to restart?

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 17, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You're fine.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It's a self-correcting problem: if you're not seeing regular heavies/assaults then you don't need them to win, if you do see them you can salvage them.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've got the GOG version. Does anyone know where the saves are located? Can't find them.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

tactlessbastard posted:

I've got the GOG version. Does anyone know where the saves are located? Can't find them.

C:/Users/USER_ID/AppData/Local/GOG.com/Galaxy/Applications/50593543263669699/Storage/Shared/Files/C#/SGS#

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
poo poo, Extraction is hard. This is the only story mission that has really given me trouble. There is just SO. MUCH. poo poo. shooting at you the entire time, you get worn down by the end. And having to keep all 4 mechs in that confined space for so long while getting swarmed is horseshit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I'd love sprint-into-melee as a skill but I feel like it would be excessively strong. Even an Atlas can move pretty far doing a full sprint with high piloting skill. Melee has a ton of strengths and the only thing holding it back is how awkward it is to get into a good position to actually throw a melee attack.
It'd have to limit your movement. I definitely don't think you should be able to full-sprint into melee but having a bit more range would be worth it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Either let me add/subtract armor by the single unit, or make the 'max armor' button not stick not-divisible-by-5 quantities of armor everywhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is extraction the mission whee you save your dude? You can actually leave the circle, kill everything, then reenter and brace for five turns and win.

Klyith posted:

Sprint-melee sounds absolutely amazing, right up until the point where I remember that the AI would also get this power. Then I'm like nope! because the AI with charge attacks would be absolutely infuriating.

Because despite my experience of the game being a lot more like

than

the AI does like going for melee attacks when it can get them, and in an 8v4 fight dealing with a sprint-melee banzai charge into your line would be hellish. Meanwhile the opportunity to use it yourself would be way more restrained.

Brace after melee + keeping the current initiative knockback actually sounds like a good combo. I think it might create a viable role for lighter mechs as a guard-breaker -- using melee to remove a brace is neat but currently difficult because you leave your guy open for a lot of counter-attack damage. The brace would be great for that. And in the hands of the AI, it's good but not insane.

I'm my experience I'd you fail to melee kill something the ai will just walk behind and turbofuck you

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 17, 2018

high six
Feb 6, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

As long as they put the best mech into the game: the Charger.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

high six posted:

You would have to convince Paul to put the Charger in MWO first.

Or, y'know. Scale up the Commando. Either/or.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

high six posted:

God it would be so good in this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just want a piranha :3:

That and a proper subtitle for this game so searching for stuff isnt such a nightmare

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Right I need help, I've been putting off coromodir because loving god dammit I want an atlas and I've seen like one in 54 hours of playing the same campaign and farming endgame for a good long while, where the hell am I more likely to find one? do certain factions lean more towards certain mechs or what?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artum posted:

Right I need help, I've been putting off coromodir because loving god dammit I want an atlas and I've seen like one in 54 hours of playing the same campaign and farming endgame for a good long while, where the hell am I more likely to find one? do certain factions lean more towards certain mechs or what?

Do you specifically want to bring an Atlas to Coromodir or do you just want an Atlas period?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

Do you specifically want to bring an Atlas to Coromodir or do you just want an Atlas period?

I want an atlas d 2 for my own personal skull purposes.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Artum posted:

I got my 1st one in the same round I salvaged up a KC. Look for the 5-skull missions and hope it’s not just demolishers and shrecks.

Just be ready to fight 2 full assault lances off before you drop. Ammo for 15 rounds of slogging combat isn’t unheard of. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Got an Orion fully functional from an assassin mission.

Okay, I think I'll finally start that prison mission.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Artum posted:

5 skull assassinations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm curious if some of my favorite mechs are in the game.
Spoilered in case there are those who don't want to know the full range
Archer, Warhammer, Riflemen and Marauder. yea basically the ones that were straight out of Robotech. I'm a classic box set fan above all else

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I'm curious if some of my favorite mechs are in the game.
Spoilered in case there are those who don't want to know the full range
Archer, Warhammer, Riflemen and Marauder. yea basically the ones that were straight out of Robotech. I'm a classic box set fan above all else

They are not, almost entirely because of robotech.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

imweasel09 posted:

drat, you'd think they could have at least had the redesigns that were legally distinct that came out with the 4th edition.
That explains why there are Spiders all over them place rather than Stingers and Wasps.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

imweasel09 posted:

No "almost" needed. The only one of those that wasn't on HBS's "100% Yes" list was the Archer, and that was because PGI had just released it around the month HBS were doing their 'Mech announcements.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artum posted:

I want an atlas d 2 for my own personal skull purposes.

If you don't mind adding an HT to the model number then you'll probably want to beat the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

No "almost" needed. The only one of those that wasn't on HBS's "100% Yes" list was the Archer, and that was because PGI had just released it around the month HBS were doing their 'Mech announcements.

I didn't know if they had MWO models besides the warhammer and marauder, but the rest of it is purely legal yes.