Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A pair of random observations while rewatching CCA:

-Older Gundam in general seems to have a really hard time remembering how zero gravity works onboard ships.

-Why the hell are there giant tires lashed to the sides of the Ra Cailum?

For the tires it's so they can just lash returning Mobile Suits to the side and keep the catapult clear.

It shows up in some other show as well where you actually see it get used but I cannot remember for the life of me which one.

Thunderbolt maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It seems that the bridge aboard the White Base and the Ra Cailum is under artificial gravity while the hallways of the ship are kept in zero G for reasons. I do like the handlebars that carry them along corridors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

-Why the hell are there giant tires lashed to the sides of the Ra Cailum?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arcsquad12 posted:

It seems that the bridge aboard the White Base and the Ra Cailum is under artificial gravity while the hallways of the ship are kept in zero G for reasons. I do like the handlebars that carry them along corridors.

If antigrav plating is a thing, I would imagine it be more cost effective to use it only in key areas, and not in every single hallway. Bonus if you can take advantage of the microgravity in the halls to aid in crew mobility and logistics.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
There is no artificial gravity in the Universal Century beyond the centripetal acceleration of the colonies and the Argama's extendo-rooms. You could probably handwave the whole standing on the bridge thing as magnetic boots or something but it's more likely just lazy animators; there's a notable sequence in the 6th Unicorn OVA for example where Angelo escapes from the bridge by kicking off some hapless crew and floating out the door.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sam Sanskrit posted:

For the tires it's so they can just lash returning Mobile Suits to the side and keep the catapult clear.

It shows up in some other show as well where you actually see it get used but I cannot remember for the life of me which one.

Thunderbolt maybe?

didn't they do that in original Gundam? Fed ships had GMs tied to the side because the ships were made before Mobile Suits so they didn't have hangars

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

tsob posted:

On the other hand, for all the talk of how Coordinators are genetically superior to Naturals it rarely feels that way in my opinion. Most Coordinators are no better than Naturals at anything outside of piloting, and once there's a Natural use OS even that difference is minimized. Additionally, while Coordinators revolutionized warfare with the invention of the mobile suit in setting, it was Naturals who refined it in several ways to create phase shift armor, isolate and weaponize mirage colloid and came up with the ideas for things like situational backpacks as well as transforming mobile suits. All ideas which Coordinators take on and can only marginally improve in Destiny. If the show didn't make sure to fill out every single battle with hordes of bigots screaming death to the opposing side I doubt you'd never know there was even supposed to be a difference in ability.

I think this comes from stock footage. I remember there being a lot more stock footage of natural mobile suits and ships exploding, but not much stock footage of coordinator suits and ships exploding. So even though the plot says it is an equally matched battle, the scene still felt like the coordinators were dominating. They'd just show all their generic grunt explosion clips, which contain more dead naturals. This wouldn't be the first time plot and visuals did not match up. The oppressive side 3 colonies look like suburbs, and pretty nice ones at that.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

3 posted:

There is no artificial gravity in the Universal Century beyond the centripetal acceleration of the colonies and the Argama's extendo-rooms. You could probably handwave the whole standing on the bridge thing as magnetic boots or something but it's more likely just lazy animators; there's a notable sequence in the 6th Unicorn OVA for example where Angelo escapes from the bridge by kicking off some hapless crew and floating out the door.

The whitebase itself appeared to have an area setup for spin gravity.

Edit: This one's on white base

And this one is Luna 2

Vord fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 16, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Of course Kamille would be a dick and clown on Char about his hair after being in a coma for a long time. OF COURSE.

this is during a conversation where char and kamille openly wonder if they should start beating the poo poo out of each-other like the old days to clear the air

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also Universal Century Gravity runs solely off of what conditions would kill a family member more brutally

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tsob posted:

What is this picture trying to say? I'm assuming it's supposed to be about how Amuro killed Lalah, but acts like Char is the one that did it? But that's not actually what happens. Amuro is pissed at Char for bringing Lalah in to the war and making her a pilot, not for killing her. Which he recognizes is his own fault. Immediately after she dies he shouts about how he's done something he can never take back after all.

It's a joke ,dawg

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

golden bubble posted:

This wouldn't be the first time plot and visuals did not match up. The oppressive side 3 colonies look like suburbs, and pretty nice ones at that.

Or maybe a nation that's 1/3rd Imperial Japan, 1/3rd Nazi Germany, and 1/3 COBRA isn't entirely truthful about it's reasons for attacking the Earth Federation

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Microcline posted:

Or maybe a nation that's 1/3rd Imperial Japan, 1/3rd Nazi Germany, and 1/3 COBRA isn't entirely truthful about it's reasons for attacking the Earth Federation

Yeah in all of animated Gundam media the only three instances of colonies not being lush suburban paradises that I can recall are Palau in Unicorn, Industrial 7 in Unicorn, and Sweetwater from CCA was stated to be kind of a shithole because it was two other colonies slapped together in an attempt to accommodate refugees after nearly two decades of constant conflict. In addition, in the OYW, Side 3 is literally the only colony bunch who declared war on the Federation, the rest remained loyal or stayed neutral. This miiiiight suggest that Zeon was trumping up reasons to launch an aggressive invasion!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Texas in Origin is like a Wild West theme too iirc

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

It's depicted that way in MSG as well, looking pretty much like Texas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Wasn't it set up that way as a tourist trap? I swear it was for some reason along those lines.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Shangri-La in ZZ is p much a giant slum.

edit: Tigerbaum in the same show is basically 80s Hong Kong.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 16, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's depicted that way in MSG as well, looking pretty much like Texas.

It looks that way because the colonies mirrors were damaged and it affected the internal weather or something if I recall. It was supposed to be a lot more pleasant and bucolic, but the war hosed it up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which is a good excuse as any for "we want an old west space colony"

Speaking of excuses for weirdness, man, moon moon

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Which is a good excuse as any for "we want an old west space colony"

Speaking of excuses for weirdness, man, moon moon

How the hell did I name two nonstandard colonies from ZZ and then forget Moon-Moon, the weirdest colony? :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Moon Gundam is good so far. Moon Moon dude is a better protagonist than Banana.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

"a better protagonist than Banagher" is not exactly a super high bar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

"a better protagonist than Banagher" is not exactly a super high bar.

It's still one Gundam has managed to stumble under a few times, though I guess whether it has or not depends on whether you think terrible characters like Kira and Kou are worse than bland ones like Banagher and Reiji.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

It's still one Gundam has managed to stumble under a few times, though I guess whether it has or not depends on whether you think terrible characters like Kira and Kou are worse than bland ones like Banagher and Reiji.

I sure hope you meant Sekai, because Reiji wasn't really bland.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it available to read in English anywhere?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

I sure hope you meant Sekai, because Reiji wasn't really bland.

I did yea, though to be honest Reiji as a character isn't much better in concept and it was mostly execution that elevated him. The same is true of several characters though. Someone complained about Loran being nice but boring a page or two ago for instance, and I would agree that in concept he is but I loved him in execution because I think his personality helped push several other characters (like Dianna and Sochie) in interesting directions and it was great watching him become exasperated with all the warmongering around him as he tried to get people to stop as well as just enjoying the moments of calm between.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it available to read in English anywhere?

Not officially... :filez:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

tsob posted:

I did yea, though to be honest Reiji as a character isn't much better in concept and it was mostly execution that elevated him. The same is true of several characters though. Someone complained about Loran being nice but boring a page or two ago for instance, and I would agree that in concept he is but I loved him in execution because I think his personality helped push several other characters (like Dianna and Sochie) in interesting directions and it was great watching him become exasperated with all the warmongering around him as he tried to get people to stop as well as just enjoying the moments of calm between.

I think SEED Kira is a fine protagonist who is a lot more interesting than Banagher. He has emotions, goals, and a recognizable narrative arc. Destiny damns him, but Destiny is trash that pretty much fucks up everything it tries to do.

I would argue that execution is honestly all that matters. A lot of the best Gundam characters have terrible concepts. If you just look at concepts, Char is a mediocre fanfic character; an omni-talented prettyboy who hides his identity with an anime mask while going undercover to avenge his dead parents. Domon in concept is a generic kung fu movie protagonist. As you mention, Loran in concept is an incredibly boring nice guy everyman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can Char really be considered generic considering he's basically the grandaddy of that stereotype in anime? Before you jump on me I know he's technically not the first character to follow that path but he pretty much codified the archetype.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think SEED Kira is a fine protagonist who is a lot more interesting than Banagher. He has emotions, goals, and a recognizable narrative arc. Destiny damns him, but Destiny is trash that pretty much fucks up everything it tries to do.

I would argue that execution is honestly all that matters. A lot of the best Gundam characters have terrible concepts. If you just look at concepts, Char is a mediocre fanfic character; an omni-talented prettyboy who hides his identity with an anime mask while going undercover to avenge his dead parents. Domon in concept is a generic kung fu movie protagonist. As you mention, Loran in concept is an incredibly boring nice guy everyman.

I don't think it's fair to call Char a fanfic character. Dude is never as smart, capable, or skilled as the people he's against, and his list of flaws is pages longer than his abilities.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can Char really be considered generic considering he's basically the grandaddy of that stereotype in anime? Before you jump on me I know he's technically not the first character to follow that path but he pretty much codified the archetype.

His concept? Absolutely. That sort of character was pretty rife in anime at the time. His execution? No, that's what makes him unique and beloved.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it's fair to call Char a fanfic character. Dude is never as smart, capable, or skilled as the people he's against, and his list of flaws is pages longer than his abilities.

Char is a mysterious masked man at the ripe old age of 20 years old who is living under an assumed name and is secretly the long lost son of a legendary political figure on a quest for revenge against the corrupt nobles who assassinated his father and usurped his family's throne. He has magic brain powers, is one of the best mobile suit pilots to ever live, knows how to fence, is outwardly suave and sophisticated and a magnet for ladies, and is smart and manipulative enough to trick or convince anyone to do what he wants. Yeah he's a brokebrained sociopath but so are most fanfic self-inserts.

The only person who ever stopped Char from doing whatever the gently caress he wanted was Amuro, which is why Amuro became his lifelong nemesis and CCA was literally all about Char trying to set up a grand final duel between them so he could finally prove himself superior.

(Please note that I'm extremely well aware about all of the intricacies and depth in Char's character and story and I'm playing devil's advocate here).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Char gets wrecked by an inexperienced kid piloting a prototype. Loses every battle in the first series. Get's run by Yazan, Buran, and Haman. Is a weirdo with mother issues who watches his girlfriend/mother figure die in front of him because he's not good enough as a pilot. Loses the sociopathic manipulation game to Scirocco. In the end all he's got is a teenage girl, mediocre piloting skills, and a family name. His own men even abandon him at the end of CCA.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In fairness Haman also completely wrecked Char's poo poo at the end of Zeta.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Char gets wrecked by an inexperienced kid piloting a prototype. Loses every battle in the first series. Get's run by Yazan, Buran, and Haman. Is a weirdo with mother issues who watches his girlfriend/mother figure die in front of him because he's not good enough as a pilot. Loses the sociopathic manipulation game to Scirocco. In the end all he's got is a teenage girl, mediocre piloting skills, and a family name. His own men even abandon him at the end of CCA.

tbf they abandoned him after he definitively lost

though then he got to watch amuro inspire a ton of people to throw away their lives on pure idealism, something char could never do so that's a double loss

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 17, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

The only person who ever stopped Char from doing whatever the gently caress he wanted was Amuro, which is why Amuro became his lifelong nemesis and CCA was literally all about Char trying to set up a grand final duel between them so he could finally prove himself superior.

also the mom-killing thing, he never really got over that

well neither did amuro tbf but it just made amuro really socially maladjusted when it comes to relationships instead of genocidal

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Ah, but now you're getting into execution rather than concept, which was the argument to begin with.

Char's men didn't all abandon him, either, just a few. There's an entire army full of people who are so up their own asses at the idea of working for The Legendary Red Comet that Unicorn's main antagonist is literally a guy pretending to be Char.

Pureauthor posted:

In fairness Haman also completely wrecked Char's poo poo at the end of Zeta.

I don't really hold Char losing mobile suit battles in Zeta against him. The Hyaku Shiki is a piece of poo poo garbage prototype suit that is inferior to the Gundam MkII at the outset of the series, and that suit is mediocre enough that it had to get a bolt-on backpack to continue functioning halfway through the show. The fact that Quattro manages to hold his own against enemy aces in state of the art hardware speaks well of him, even if he loses against the big boys and girls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

well neither did amuro tbf but it just made amuro really socially maladjusted when it comes to relationships instead of genocidal

Did you see Amuro at the start of the show?

Post Lalah Amuro is a major step up. For example, he normally remembers to wear pants when people are coming over.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ah, but now you're getting into execution rather than concept, which was the argument to begin with.

Char's men didn't all abandon him, either, just a few. There's an entire army full of people who are so up their own asses at the idea of working for The Legendary Red Comet that Unicorn's main antagonist is literally a guy pretending to be Char.

I don't really hold Char losing mobile suit battles in Zeta against him. The Hyaku Shiki is a piece of poo poo garbage prototype suit that is inferior to the Gundam MkII at the outset of the series, and that suit is mediocre enough that it had to get a bolt-on backpack to continue functioning halfway through the show. The fact that Quattro manages to hold his own against enemy aces in state of the art hardware speaks well of him, even if he loses against the big boys and girls.

Kanos posted:

Unicorn is so poorly written that I choose to ignore everything in it to be honest.

I'm with you on the execution vs. the concept

That said I'd be willing to blame more of his losses on Zeta on the Hyaku Shiki if Elle and Beecha didn't manage to perform just as well if not better than him in ZZ.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Unicorn is so poorly written that I choose to ignore everything in it to be honest.

I'm with you on the execution vs. the concept

That said I'd be willing to blame more of his losses on Zeta on the Hyaku Shiki if Elle and Beecha didn't manage to perform just as well if not better than him in ZZ.

I, too, don't like Unicorn very much, but unfortunately it's been pushed extremely hard so any other material made in the future is going to assume it happened.

Elle and Beecha do really well for themselves but at no point do they really take on any serious named aces without Judau holding their hand. If anything the events of ZZ make Quattro getting dunked on by Haman even more understandable because Judau piloting the ZZ Gundam at its full potential still couldn't put Haman down in a duel until Haman decided to commit suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Well, I meant more Destiny than SEED, since he's officially the main character of Destiny now, not Shinn.

Kanos posted:

Char is a mysterious masked man at the ripe old age of 20 years old who is living under an assumed name and is secretly the long lost son of a legendary political figure on a quest for revenge against the corrupt nobles who assassinated his father and usurped his family's throne. He has magic brain powers, is one of the best mobile suit pilots to ever live, knows how to fence, is outwardly suave and sophisticated and a magnet for ladies, and is smart and manipulative enough to trick or convince anyone to do what he wants.

He's not really omni-talented though. He's a good pilot and decent soldier/commander who's the son of a leader from a place that seems to have a faux sovereign government (his father was expected to be able to name a successor for instance), so being able to fence isn't really all that much of a stretch. Outside that we don't really see any other major skills in 0079, Zeta or Char's Counterattack. Even the revenge thing is questionable, since none of his careful planning for positioning by defeating the Gundam and White Base in the first dozen episodes of 0079 nets him squat, and he only ever accomplishes anything by taking advantage of situations he had no real part in. He's also one of the weakest magic brain power people in the setting, and even in the finale of 0079 he wonders if he really is one as he gets ready to use a magic brain powered specialized unit.

Yinlock posted:

though then he got to watch amuro inspire a ton of people to throw away their lives on pure idealism, something char could never do so that's a double loss

The way it's framed it really doesn't seem like Amuro had anything to do with it. The psycoframe sample rushes in to the screen as Chan dies, giving the impression her soul is part of or using it and it the camera pans across space to a Federation unit who decided to go to Axis to help Londo Bell. When they get there they immediately start flying in to push Axis, and it's when all these GMIII's are zooming past the 3 Geara Doga's that they throw away their weapons and decide to help. I don't even think Amuro is visible from where they are. I've always viewed it more as Zeons pilots operating on the assumption the Federation has no real ideals, that it's supporters were just "sheep" who followed the status quo but when those 3 guys saw Federation pilots rushing en masse to save the planet with no hesitation they realized their enemy was as idealistic as them, felt empathy for them and wanted to help.

Yinlock posted:

I think they were both over it by Zeta honestly. I reiterate my previously stated position that the finale is Char simply lashing out at Amuro because Amuro had hurt his feelings accusing him of being narrow minded in his treatment of Quess. Prior to that point even in Char's Counterattack they're both rather calm about Lalah. Char thinks about her once when Nanai brings up his past, and tries to get Amuro to turn against the Federation by bringing up how painful killing Lalah was, while Amuro only thinks about her after she haunts him. Neither seem really emotionally raw or driven by that anymore. Amuro also definitely isn't socially maladjusted in Char's Counterattack. As someone else said, compare it to how he acted at the start of 0079, hiding in his room with almost no clothes on, connection to the people around him or even real perception of time. By Char's Counterattack he's had a few relationships, but he's never been particularly awkward or terrible in them. Chan even notes in the film that he seems happy most of the time, but just occasionally gets distant. Which we found out is because Lalah is haunting him. Which, no poo poo that a past girlfriend coming to visit your dreams will quieten you for a while.

https://my.mixtape.moe/gwzdac.webm

Amuro has several scenes like that in Londenion, interacting well with Chan, Hathaway and Quess. He even gives Hathaway his stored Haro and offers to bring Quess along on a tour of Londenion because he knows Hathaway and her are flirting budding romance teens. Nothing in Char's Counterattack suggests he's maladjusted socially or romantically.

Kanos posted:

I don't really hold Char losing mobile suit battles in Zeta against him. The Hyaku Shiki is a piece of poo poo garbage prototype suit that is inferior to the Gundam MkII at the outset of the series

What? The Hyaku Shiki is a failed prototype of the Zeta, that is equal to or better than the Mk II in every way and the only thing it's notably worse than Zeta for is that it can't transform. Instead it has anti-beam coating, which is less of a straight downgrade and more of a different upgrade really.

Gaius Marius posted:

Then just look at the finale of Char's Counterattack instead. Only 3 Geara Doga pilots, already in a group, help Amuro and the film cuts back to the bridge of the Rewloola at least twice after that point to show the crew there dismayed that Char has lost, Axis is being diverted and the Federation are arriving to help. They certainly didn't abandon or turn against Char.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 17, 2018