Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Because 1) Tracer still needs some tweak-y nerfs, as she is still overtuned, and 2) gently caress Tracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Game's literally unplayable. I get huge FPS drops or lag or something? I have no idea. It started a few months ago. Usually the first game has either no drops or infrequent but it gets progressively worse with subsequent games (QP games, by game 3-4 its utterly, completely unplayable). FPS meter shows 120-180 and doesn't show any major change when stuttering happens, latency bounces somewhat, temp no greater than 85C which is probably still too much. Playing on lowest settings, following that popular optimization guide for video settings. If anyone can help me troubleshoot this I can give you a forums upgrade or :10bux:

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 17, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

halloween and uprising are the only ones so far iirc, but that doesn't mean that they won't add more

they get kinda old after a while, but the pvp stuff is fun and makes me hope they take a page out of borderlands' book and make a diablo style coop shooter game some day. tho they'll probably go back to making it an mmo or something equally disappointing

The game youre describing came out and Overwatch obliterated it

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
To be fair, that game was made by Gearbox so it was doomed from the start.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

The game youre describing came out and Overwatch obliterated it

the game I'm describing is borderlands (which I literally said in that post) and it came out way before overwatch. I don't think that gearbox game was anything like what I was describing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the game I'm describing is borderlands (which I literally said in that post) and it came out way before overwatch. I don't think that gearbox game was anything like what I was describing

It was? It had a campaign mode consisting of co-operative missions that were basically dungeon raids with loot to grind for and all the same character abilities as the main pvp game. Like, there is no more direct comparison.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a series of coop missions that you select from a list is very different from borderlands and it didn't have pvp at all. it was just diablo with guns, and this... does not sound like diablo with guns really. if anything it sounds like the strike playlist from destiny

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

porfiria posted:

Why is shutting down Tracer specifically important? Tracer got a direct nerf, neo-Hanzo also crushes her, and I'd even guess the Torb rework will hurt her a bit. She's fairly bad right now and presumably will be even if Brig can only instagib her every 6 seconds instead of 5 or whatever.

Because Tracer has little to no counters in the game, shes over tuned, and her nerf did nothing to touch her problem areas. Even with Brig, Tracer isn't really countered if she keeps her distance. Honestly, before even touching Brig much more, they should look into toning Tracer down or introducing more solid counters.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeliciousCookie posted:

Because Tracer has little to no counters in the game, shes over tuned, and her nerf did nothing to touch her problem areas. Even with Brig, Tracer isn't really countered if she keeps her distance. Honestly, before even touching Brig much more, they should look into toning Tracer down or introducing more solid counters.

According to Overbuff she's worse than Genji, Widow, and maybe Doomfist (and Hanzo obviously) at GM. And obviously falls off the lower you go skill wise. Maybe her winrate is affected a bit by people switching onto her to hold points but she seems middle of the road at best. Certainly she's off meta although things may change when Brig's ult gets nerfed.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

porfiria posted:

According to Overbuff she's worse than Genji, Widow, and maybe Doomfist (and Hanzo obviously) at GM. And obviously falls off the lower you go skill wise. Maybe her winrate is affected a bit by people switching onto her to hold points but she seems middle of the road at best. Certainly she's off meta although things may change when Brig's ult gets nerfed.

What are you comparing? She has the second highest pick rate of all the offensive heroes, second only to Hanzo at the moment. Her winrate is higher than Genji and Widow as well.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeliciousCookie posted:

What are you comparing? She has the second highest pick rate of all the offensive heroes, second only to Hanzo at the moment. Her winrate is higher than Genji and Widow as well.

Overbuff GM stats over the past week.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Are tokens not dropping? Not getting anything.

EDIT: Wrong thread :doh:

I Said No fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 17, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're not gonna follow up after you hack someone, why do it in the first place. anyone else is gonna be a harder target by default because they can use their abilities

I hack Reinhardts and then gently caress off because any good Reinhardt is gonna be near his team who's going to shoot at you, and bad Reinhardts are already dead

Bumper Stickup posted:

My question is how do you fix her to not warp the meta while also keeping her as a counter to Tracer? Only thing I can think of is increased cooldown length.

Minrad has still the best suggestion: swap the functionality of Shield Bash and Whip Shot. So now Shield Bash shoves enemies, Whip Shot stuns them.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

a series of coop missions that you select from a list is very different from borderlands and it didn't have pvp at all. it was just diablo with guns, and this... does not sound like diablo with guns really. if anything it sounds like the strike playlist from destiny

I was going to mention Destiny before, since that was the first thing to come to mind for "FPS but PvE Co-Op."

Too bad there's basically been no good news coming out about Destiny 2 since it came out. I still haven't even logged in to play the Warmind story missions yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I hack Reinhardts and then gently caress off because any good Reinhardt is gonna be near his team who's going to shoot at you, and bad Reinhardts are already dead

Minrad has still the best suggestion: swap the functionality of Shield Bash and Whip Shot. So now Shield Bash shoves enemies, Whip Shot stuns them.

I've been suggesting this for a while, my team doesn't agree because they're saying "yeah but its easy to hit at long range".

I don't really agree, its kinda like a hog hook, if people start looking for it, it becomes much harder to land. Also it stops the stun from going through shields, which means rein gets to have a little more fun again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's a really bad idea that makes the hero stronger at all but the lowest levels of play. She does not need to be a lethal threat at medium range, that change would make a mockery of the 'just stay away from her' tactic.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Well, after avoiding comp since the early seasons, I got sufficiently miserable in quick play due to maybe one match out of five being worth the time spent to play it. I had an alternate account already, so I did my placements over the past few days.

The first few were quite decent matches - in one of them we had someone attempting to throw by sitting at spawn, but won anyway, and I was thinking yeah, this might be the way to play, people might be right. Went 2-2 in the first 4 games, which was about as I expected.

The next three matches were all wins. One of which was legit, one of which was because the enemy team had a throwing duo, and one where the enemy team appeared to be trying but were legitimately so bad that they were unable to move the cart on their round, and unable to pause it on ours. Which was rather unsatisfying.

I did the last three matches tonight. All three games were throw games. One in my favour, in which I got to do nothing in our defense round, because I was guarding from high ground like a good Soldier, while my team were camping the choke and killing whichever non-throwing enemies made desultory pushes. I got 3 kills total in the 2nd half, on a Sombra and a Lucio who tried to heroically solo the team from the rear. Two against, one of which had a throwing 2-man and one of which had a throwing 3-man. I can't call them stomps because there would be sticky residue after a stomp, while my team was more of a pink mist.

This has confirmed for me that this game has serious, major issues. How the hell could it get a decent calibration on a fresh account in the face of this kind of experience? How is it OK that literally half if not more of the matches presented IN THE COMPETITIVE MODE are illegitimate? And worse, there is no way to resolve these fairly - a loss is a loss is a loss. The "It averages out over time" argument may be true, but to correct for this kind of noise you're talking about a very serious investment of time, and given my experience so far fully half of this time will be wasted time. I can't do that! I don't want to do that!

Quick Play has degraded to being nothing but a gently caress-around mode where you can't get a seriously played match to save your drat life. Competitive is even worse, because there are stakes, which means that people who are salty, immature or broken in the brain can really take joy in messing it up - and they do! Half the goddamn time!

Y'know that War Games quote? Man, I think it applies here. 100%.

E: placed 2580, although that isn't relevant to the above.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 17, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SadisTech posted:

Well, after avoiding comp since the early seasons, I got sufficiently miserable in quick play due to maybe one match out of five being worth the time spent to play it. I had an alternate account already, so I did my placements over the past few days.

The first few were quite decent matches - in one of them we had someone attempting to throw by sitting at spawn, but won anyway, and I was thinking yeah, this might be the way to play, people might be right. Went 2-2 in the first 4 games, which was about as I expected.

The next three matches were all wins. One of which was legit, one of which was because the enemy team had a throwing duo, and one where the enemy team appeared to be trying but were legitimately so bad that they were unable to move the cart on their round, and unable to pause it on ours. Which was rather unsatisfying.

I did the last three matches tonight. All three games were throw games. One in my favour, in which I got to do nothing in our defense round, because I was guarding from high ground like a good Soldier, while my team were camping the choke and killing whichever non-throwing enemies made desultory pushes. I got 3 kills total in the 2nd half, on a Sombra and a Lucio who tried to heroically solo the team from the rear. Two against, one of which had a throwing 2-man and one of which had a throwing 3-man. I can't call them stomps because there would be sticky residue after a stomp, while my team was more of a pink mist.

This has confirmed for me that this game has serious, major issues. How the hell could it get a decent calibration on a fresh account in the face of this kind of experience? How is it OK that literally half if not more of the matches presented IN THE COMPETITIVE MODE are illegitimate? And worse, there is no way to resolve these fairly - a loss is a loss is a loss. The "It averages out over time" argument may be true, but to correct for this kind of noise you're talking about a very serious investment of time, and given my experience so far fully half of this time will be wasted time. I can't do that! I don't want to do that!

Quick Play has degraded to being nothing but a gently caress-around mode where you can't get a seriously played match to save your drat life. Competitive is even worse, because there are stakes, which means that people who are salty, immature or broken in the brain can really take joy in messing it up - and they do! Half the goddamn time!

Y'know that War Games quote? Man, I think it applies here. 100%.

E: placed 2580, although that isn't relevant to the above.

Post this on reddit. I know lot's of people complain there but this post is pretty detailed and I think represents how a lot of players feel in a way that most don't articulate. The worst that can happen is nothing, and the best is that Blizzard sees it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Post this on reddit. I know lot's of people complain there but this post is pretty detailed and I think represents how a lot of players feel in a way that most don't articulate. The worst that can happen is nothing, and the best is that Blizzard sees it.
Yep. That post captures my biggest issue with the game pretty well, which is that about half of my competitive matches are simply wastes of time (i.e., a stomp in either direction), and I don't have anywhere near as much time for gaming as I'd like.

If Blizzard actually punished throwers there might be improvement.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
if you can figure out how to motivate people to always do their best in no stakes video games you'd have much better things to spend your time on than improving a video game

if you can't or don't want to join a 6 stack via the various group finders, that isn't on blizzard

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

if you can figure out how to motivate people to always do their best in no stakes video games you'd have much better things to spend your time on than improving a video game

if you can't or don't want to join a 6 stack via the various group finders, that isn't on blizzard
It actually is on Blizzard to create a reasonable solo queue experience, with a matchmaker that produces balanced games, and a system for weeding out griefers/throwers. They've actively represented that as a product that they're selling.

And being an old with a career and family, 6-stacking is pretty much out since my schedule is unreliable at best and it's rare that I'm able to play for more than an hour at a time.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

that's just not a reasonable expectation

if you want robot teammates, custom games with 11 ai teammates is there for you. if you want all of your team on the same page, making friends or joining a discord and asking if there's a stack with room are options. there is no perfect matchmaker psychologist that scans brain waves to evaluate with people are in the optimal mental state to play one video game with you at your whim, and there literally never will be.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

that's just not a reasonable expectation
People managed to self-police and sort into appropriate servers in 1996, but OK.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yet somehow, you can't?

custom games exist
discord servers to make stacks exist

but still you bash your head into quick play and go "why does my head hurt"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

yet somehow, you can't?

custom games exist
discord servers to make stacks exist

but still you bash your head into quick play and go "why does my head hurt"
I'm talking about diamond+ competitive dude. I'm not playing quick play.

It's kind of bizzarre that you're so invested in defending the lovely matchmaker and lack of consequences for easily-detectable patterns of griefing. You're also seriously overestimating the complexity of solving the latter issue.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 17, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

there's no difference between solo queue competitive at literally any rating and quick play

you don't want to make the effort to improve your own play experience but expect 11 randos and an automated matchmaking system with the weakest of variables to consider to do it for you. if you don't have the onus to fix things yourself when options are there and easily available, why are you expecting everything else to do it instead.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

there's no difference between solo queue competitive at literally any rating and quick play
Do you play Overwatch?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I don't solo queue so no, I don't experience this game where "half of my games are boring stomps"

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its terrible that matchmaker cannot predetermine if someone is going to have a bad game or is on the verge of tilting or whatever you want it to precog

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Minrad posted:

I don't solo queue

hey everyone check out this dude's opinions

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

its terrible that matchmaker cannot predetermine if someone is going to have a bad game or is on the verge of tilting or whatever you want it to precog
It's almost like, there's a reporting system. And, it's as if Blizzard has resources for identifying patterns, performing manual review, and implementing escalating punishments for people who routinely sabotage gameplay.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've never seen the "thanks for reporting" screen for gameplay sabotage. Or abusive voice chat for that matter, only for abusive text chat.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My games are unfun, total blowouts either for a win or a loss. It's been this way for six+ months and it's only been intensifying, leading me to play more infrequently. I'm not as sharp as I used to be so my rank is slowly falling and I'm playing with more and more dumb heads. It's not a fun system. I uninstalled the game yesterday and hopefully I don't reinstall it. I never turn the game off feeling like it was a good/fun use of my time, again regardless of winning or losing.

I don't understand how anyone can defend the matchmaking.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the problem of throwers isn't unique but I think it's compounded by the fact that the game is a moba, on top of being a team-based fps. so on top of real, actual throwers, you have people who have disagreements about the win condition and what different classes/characters should be doing because there are so many variables and so much to keep track of. so you get situations where e.g. a rein on attack gets tilted when mccree doesn't use the shield - but it may or may not be prudent to do so. so he stops using his shield - then the mercy can't heal him safely, so the rein gets no healing, tilts, and throw switches to torb, and the rest of the team falls apart. it's a delicate house of cards. the game probably needs a server or clan system so players can *actually* craft their experience but they want to maintain absolute control over their product so :shrug:

I also think the popular "role queue" suggestion is a terrible idea

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also, please move further discussion of how much overwatch sucks to the whining thread, tia

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's an absolutely fantastic year to get in to/play fighting games, the most holy of competitive bideo shames :black101:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minrad posted:

I don't solo queue

:lol:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

teh_Broseph posted:

It's an absolutely fantastic year to get in to/play fighting games, the most holy of competitive bideo shames :black101:

:hai:

Please play fighting games

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

But I am bad at them and my slurred F,D,DF uppercut motion is rejected by my fightstick that insists on a proper Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Get in Blazblue Cross Tag with us other day 1 bads, it comes out in 2 weeks for $50 ($40 Amazon PS4 pre-order) and I'm p sure the most complicated input in it is D,F + 2 buttons for a super. Dragonballs Figherzzz is out too and is cool and has Goku and real simple inputs. Both games do automagic combos when you mash the attack buttons.

Overwatch for Mystery Heroes, emotes, and voice line spamming, fighting games for comp mode (or also mashing buttons) :yeah: