Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You're cheating since they're not FPSs from glorious nippon Japan, but good finds. These were in a lot of bargain bins back in the day when I was a kid.

:doh: I forgot. I got caught up in PSX nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like Brahma Force.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
we're on page 1337

i figure i should point that out given where that poo poo originated :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I hope Levelord knows we're on page 1337, that crackhead would love it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have to say Rage 2 not being on iDTech is surprising because the guns look very iDTech, like they mimicked the look of iDTech in a way. Maybe that’s just me though

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 20, 2021

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I reinstalled Rage and holy poo poo does this game not hold up at all. Even on an SSD, 1080, 16 gigs of RAM and an i7 there’s texture popping everywhere, detail is garbage, and at max settings I’m getting at most 30fps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yodzilla posted:

I reinstalled Rage and holy poo poo does this game not hold up at all. Even on an SSD, 1080, 16 gigs of RAM and an i7 there’s texture popping everywhere, detail is garbage, and at max settings I’m getting at most 30fps.

Someone was posting a fix mod, either earlier in this thread or a different one you could always try.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dewgy posted:

I mean, it could be a grand conspiracy where every company in the world sees how Apple does things and follows in lock step, sure...
"Grand conspiracy" is overselling it, but the other tech companies absolutely do follow Apple's footsteps for better or worse.

As an example: emoji standards are supposed to be defined by the Unicode Consortium, and everyone else adheres to their definitions. Yet, Apple changed the gun emoji to a squirt gun, offering absolutely no explanation as to why they ignored what the Unicode Consortium defined. Fast forward to this past month, and now all the vendors are turning their gun emoji into squirt guns, solely because Apple did it and now their own userbases are confused as to why Apple users see squirt guns when they themselves post actual guns.

🔫

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

site posted:

i think there might be a lesson somewhere in john romero and cliffyb being the frontmen of game companies focused on engines, leaving to found new studios based on name recognition and failing spectacularly

It was Jazz Jackrabbit that made Cliffyb and I don't think you'd call Epic Megagames an engine focussed company even with ZZT.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

and I don't think you'd call Epic Megagames an engine focussed company

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was Jazz Jackrabbit that made Cliffyb and I don't think you'd call Epic Megagames an engine focussed company even with ZZT.

This take is just unreal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
from the ZZT reference I have a feeling ookiimarukochan is talking about pre-Unreal Epic, in which case that's... basically fair and accurate? they mostly just published shareware games prior to Unreal

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

from the ZZT reference I have a feeling ookiimarukochan is talking about pre-Unreal Epic, in which case that's... basically fair and accurate? they mostly just published shareware games prior to Unreal
That's a fair and reasonable assumption to make, but they were licensing Unreal Engine 1 out left and right even before Unreal 1 came out. It's kind of how they financed a good chunk of that game, actually.

Tim Sweeney posted:

Very early on – two years before we shipped – we already had licensees: Microprose was using Unreal Engine, and then Legend Entertainment was using it for Wheel of Time, and we were providing them with support.

Yeah, their license fees kept Epic afloat throughout the development of Unreal. We really took licensing seriously at that point because it was paying the bills, and it led us to look at engine licensing quite differently than Id did. The joke -- at the time -- was that licensing from Id was like a quarter million dollar XCopy: you'd pay a quarter million dollars, and they'd use the DOS XCopy command to give you a copy of the source... and that would be it. [laughs]

I think it was probably the fact that we released amazing screenshots of our game, but also screenshots of our editor early on, around 1995. That led those companies to call us. Microprose called us and they said "we're interested in licensing your engine!" and we're like "Engine? What engine? Oh! Right, our engine! It's very expensive." [laughs] And literally that was the conversation.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
there were a couple of first person gundam games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpp2dkcFngk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJVO1DSc5E

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Yodzilla posted:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/849-id5-tweaker/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The texture popping is because it was tuned to run on 512MB seventh-generation consoles with optical storage and then they shipped that config in the computer version through oversight or laziness.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

Someone was posting a fix mod, either earlier in this thread or a different one you could always try.

I'd love to try that since I have a better PC than in 2011 and for the love of... I can't get the cvars right like I did back in the days to make it run smooth without texture pop-in (may be the game not playing well with modern drivers and such).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's the mod, no clue if it works well enough to get rid of idtech5's horrendous texture pop-in.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5ub1fl/id5_tweaker_mod_released_120fps_unlimited_fov/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah but so did id and saying Romero and id are famous from keen and dangerous dave and not doom and idtech would be quite the spurious claim

Like how many people post unreal do you think heard the name cliffyb and thought of jazzy jackrabbit

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Precisely one, and he's writing this message right now

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Jazz games were good and that's why it filled my heart with optimism when Cliff and Arjan Brussee reunited to form a new studio!...

Arjan is currently working on Fortnite for iOS.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mordja posted:

Here's the mod, no clue if it works well enough to get rid of idtech5's horrendous texture pop-in.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5ub1fl/id5_tweaker_mod_released_120fps_unlimited_fov/

Oh nice, thanks. I actually used this guide and the results were pretty decent as well: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122440311

The game is still only okay and feels so drat rough around the edges. It's super weird that they introduce the first settlement and characters there but you only spend maybe an hour at most in that area before moving on to the town. And just all of the little things like side missions and races feel really unpolished in a very not id way.

e: also Epic Pinball was the Megagames high point :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nsY9J_4as

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
One Must Fall 2097 was Epics best game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DatonKallandor posted:

*thundercrack*

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

:emptyquote:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Boy I sure forgot how much of Rage’s combat is against enemies with assault rifles hiding behind cover.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yodzilla posted:

Boy I sure forgot how much of Rage’s combat is against enemies with assault rifles hiding behind cover.

:sympathy:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Randomly found another Japanese FPS while watching YouTube. I feel like my appreciation for non standard FPS games is bleeding into this thread for once.

Another Bound Neo is made by Crystal Light Stage for windows XP. I believe it was made in 2006, but done quote me on that. It’s a metroidvania, taking most of its inspiration from Metroid Prime. It seems to be freeware so I might take this for a spin.
https://youtu.be/gpnJizd9e4E

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3831.html for additional information and download link.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think midair is probably going to tread water and slowly drown from the looks of it after a couple of weeks. it's faithful to tribes 2 to a fault and somehow also misses out on some essential things that 2 had, while also having quite possibly some of the least inspiring to look at aesthetics i've ever seen.

not to mention the weird free to play angle giving people trying out the game a super bad impression because it somehow manages to gently caress up the idea of giving players a solid, reliable kit to start with and also bogs it down with really extraneous and mildly unnecessary skill tree bullshit. for its faults, tribes: ascend was actually fairly solidly presented and fun to play, and it was mostly the lovely management in various ways that brought it down. midair doesn't even provide a solid experience that couldn't be better emulated by modded tribes 2, unlike ascend which did its own thing and was vastly more approachable for it which let it retain way more players for a while while still offering a distinctly tribes experience.

i give it maybe 6 months, but who knows, i'd like to be proven wrong

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Randomly found another Japanese FPS while watching YouTube. I feel like my appreciation for non standard FPS games is bleeding into this thread for once.

Another Bound Neo is made by Crystal Light Stage for windows XP. I believe it was made in 2006, but done quote me on that. It’s a metroidvania, taking most of its inspiration from Metroid Prime. It seems to be freeware so I might take this for a spin.
https://youtu.be/gpnJizd9e4E

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3831.html for additional information and download link.

How popular were the Metroid FPS trilogy in Japan?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

How popular were the Metroid FPS trilogy in Japan?
The Metroid series in general doesn't seem enormously popular in Japan compared to Nintendo's other franchises. I think Other M was an attempt at changing that, but it mostly just annoyed everybody.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Metroid Prime would make a sweet VR game though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think I saw something say the Prime series itself sold 75-80% of their copies in the West. I can’t speak to the 2D ones, but I’d imagine Zero Mission and Fusion sold well in Japan because they were GBA releases. I personally love Prime and Echoes despite their flaws. Corruption was a slog and kind of weird comparatively but still brought a lot of interesting ideas. I would love to see a multi-planet exploration game where everything is unique and created by designers, not procedurally. I doubt that would happen though, too much cost and manpower.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think I saw something say the Prime series itself sold 75-80% of their copies in the West. I can’t speak to the 2D ones, but I’d imagine Zero Mission and Fusion sold well in Japan because they were GBA releases. I personally love Prime and Echoes despite their flaws. Corruption was a slog and kind of weird comparatively but still brought a lot of interesting ideas. I would love to see a multi-planet exploration game where everything is unique and created by designers, not procedurally. I doubt that would happen though, too much cost and manpower.

A good and smart mix of designed and procedurally-generated could wield wonders.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A good and smart mix of designed and procedurally-generated could wield wonders.

Like the Diablo games?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

nielsm posted:

Like the Diablo games?

I was thinking more like Caves of Qud, but I unironically really enjoyed Diablo 3.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

nielsm posted:

Like the Diablo games?

Unlike in good roguelikes (CoQ being a great example) where I pay a ton of attention to the environment because I don't know what's lurking outside of vision range I think the net effect of Diablo's gameplay and procgen is that the levels don't matter. They're all vaguely different but equally meaningless.
This is kind of how I feel about the level gen in most real times roguelikes, though I've never played any long enough to confirm.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'd rather not have procedural generation in a Metroid game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The purpose of Diablo's randomly generated dungeons is to provide some interesting visual window dressing to the act of exploding monsters. The terrain itself hasn't actually been dangerous since the first game and even then it's way more downplayed than in roguelikes.