Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The sci-fi movie is so bad that people would rather intensely debate whether I experience qualia.
yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Well, settle it. Does he experience you?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

porfiria posted:

I would kill 6 million Jews...to save 6.000001 million Jews.

Try singing this to the Proclaimer's 500 miles. Pretty catchy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

I laughed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Speaking of colors (semi) seriously: it seemed like some scenes in this movie had noticeably more contrast than the :geno: Standard Marvel Color Grading :geno: usually allows, while a bunch of others were still flat as gently caress. Did anybody else notice this or am I just imagining it?

Astrochicken posted:

This is how you do it. :golfclap:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Nevermind, found the actual song!

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 17, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sponges posted:

I would kiss all your dads for a few bucks

I would definitely let you kiss my dead, gross dad

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sean10mm posted:

Speaking of colors (semi) seriously: it seemed like some scenes in this movie had noticeably more contrast than the :geno: Standard Marvel Color Grading :geno: usually allows, while a bunch of others were still flat as gently caress. Did anybody else notice this or am I just imagining it?

Is that even a thing? winter soldier and civil war seem like they had limited flat colors as a style thing but ant man, spiderman, gotg 1&2 and doctor strange at least seemed like they were as colorful as any action movie is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that even a thing? winter soldier and civil war seem like they had limited flat colors as a style thing but ant man, spiderman, gotg 1&2 and doctor strange at least seemed like they were as colorful as any action movie is.

They usually have color grading (or whatever the correct technical :spergin: term is) so there is no actual black. :heritage:

GotG and Ragnarok in particular "make up" for this by pushing the bright colors brighter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farg posted:

what do i get if i do

You’ll save the entire Earth from aliens, and receive a rottentomatoes score of over 74%.

ricdesi posted:

Anyone who wastes what is supposed to be a few hours of escape from the real world thinking about politics is sorely missing the point of going to the movies in the first place.

“It’s not only our reality which enslaves us. The tragedy of our predicament when we are within ideology is that, when we think that we escape it into our dreams, at that point we are within ideology.”
-Zizek

The point of watching films is to watch the films. As we’ve repeatedly demonstrated, you have had difficulty following basic narrative because you are both deliberately and unwittingly ignoring parts of the movie(s).

You yourself admit this, although you characterizing it as avoiding the ‘unnatural thoughts’ that ostensibly prevent your full immersion into the experience: “I’m not supposed to think those political things. I’m supposed to escape.”

So you actively ignore that Avengers is (was?) a nebulous private (quasi-public?) foundation - bankrolled by a tech corporation with close ties to the US government - that dabbles in mass surveillance, torture, assassination, paramilitary operations, drone warfare.... You refer to the coworkers at this foundation as just a group of friends who take care of eachother - bizarrely sincere mafia language. So of course you consequently don’t understand the characters. Steve Rogers was hanging out with Stark because he is literally being paid to kill people by Stark Industries. Stark Industries, for its part, makes some profit selling Captain America merchandise.

Civil War was centered around Rogers’s attempt to hide information from his boss in a futile attempt at reconciling his personal beliefs with his participation in a supervillain team. Rogers was explicitly trying to steer Stark away from ‘the wrong targets’ because he knew all along that they were the bad guys - but participated anyways, as it was convenient to him.

(That’s why it’s a pretty good joke that the Avengers broke up “like the Beatles?!” - because they act like a band and Stark views them as a band - but they, y’know, kill people. The ‘breakup’ joke also points to the film’s related focus on relationship dramas.

It’s not that Rogers quit the foundation once he got a smallest taste of what they’d been dishing out for half a decade. It’s that Steve and Tony broke up with eachother, like they were loving or something.)

This all dispels the claim that literacy ruins the fun in the movies. Your fun comes from not-watching, from tuning things out.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 17, 2018

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
steve and tony were definitely loving, if you can’t see that then I don’t know what movie you were watching

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Infinity War is now #4 at all-time global box office, with only the $2+ billion trio left above it: Avatar, Titanic, and The Force Awakens. I don't think anything's getting near Avatar anytime soon, but there is a decent chance Infinity War could scrape past $2 billion and give the #2 or #3 spot a literal run for their money.

And what do you know, SMG is still here.

As we’ve repeatedly demonstrated, you have had difficulty following basic narrative because you are both deliberately and unwittingly ignoring parts of the movie(s).

You yourself admit this, although you characterizing it as avoiding the ‘unnatural thoughts’ that ostensibly prevent your full immersion into the experience:

So you actively ignore that Avengers is (were?) a nebulous private (quasi-public?) foundation

You refer to the coworkers at this foundation as just a group of friends who take care of eachother - bizarrely sincere mafia language.

It's truly impressive how entirely incorrect you can be about a person so many times in one post. Not a single one of these is true.

Steve Rogers was hanging out with Stark because he is literally being paid to kill people by Stark Industries. Stark Industries, for its part, makes some profit selling Captain America merchandise.

Incorrect.

Steve was recruited by Nick Fury, worked for SHIELD until it fell, then ran the Avengers organization that replaced it (recall that in Age of Ultron, Steve -- not Tony -- is explicitly stated as being in charge) until the Sokovia Accords.

Tony: "Oh, actually he (Steve)'s the boss. I just... pay for everything and design everything and... make everyone look cooler."

Steve does not work for Tony, full stop. It's like you don't even pay attention when you watch these movies, SMG.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 17, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sean10mm posted:

This is how you do it. :golfclap:

There are a few scenes in Thor Ragnarok that they invented a new digital lighting process for that look really cool so maybe they're playing around with that. YouTube doesn't quite capture it but compare to how like any other Marvel movie's effects shots are lit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M6v_n-9TeQ

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

There are a few scenes in Thor Ragnarok that they invented a new digital lighting process for that look really cool so maybe they're playing around with that. YouTube doesn't quite capture it but compare to how like any other Marvel movie's effects shots are lit:

I honestly thought the color grading for those shots being so grey was used to great effect too, particularly as they were a sort of flashback and especially compared with the generally amber color of Asgard and the technicolor vibes of Sakaar.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ricdesi posted:

Tony: "Oh, actually he (Steve)'s the boss. I just... pay for everything and design everything and... make everyone look cooler."

Steve does not work for Tony, full stop.

It says, in the thing you quoted, that Stark pays for everything - which would include salaries.

‘Salaries’ are a subset of ‘everything’.

The joke is that Stark is humblebragging; Rogers is ‘team leader’ but not actually in charge. You missed the joke because you were not careful.

You need to be careful. You need to pay attention.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

There's only room for one JivJov in CD, ricdesi

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bard Maddox posted:

steve and tony were definitely loving, if you can’t see that then I don’t know what movie you were watching

Some people just don't understand subtext I guess

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

You’ll save the entire Earth from aliens, and receive a rottentomatoes score of over 74%.

Do I also get to hit the box-office highscore or whatever that is apparently redeeming this film?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Personally, I don’t think it’s worth saving the world from aliens unless someone regularly updates a group of people who don’t care and aren’t discussing it about how much money I’ve made doing so and where I stand in the global all-time rankings.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arrhythmia posted:

Do I also get to hit the box-office highscore or whatever that is apparently redeeming this film?

No, but Disney Corp will receive over 3 billion dollars - making it the most profitable holocaust of all time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Does anybody else think Drax is into Mantis a little

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It says, in the thing you quoted, that Stark pays for everything - which would include salaries.

You do know the CFO doesn't run the company, right

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

Buddy, it was okay you didn't get the joke. You don't need to double down on this.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 17, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The other half of the joke is that Steve being in 'tactical command,' is kind of a sinecure considering, like, how many loving different ways can you use Hulk and Thor? You have "go hit it" and "hold back for now." It's like getting to be the guy who yanks the chain on the artillery.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

No, but Disney Corp will receive over 3 billion dollars - making it the most profitable holocaust of all time.

Feh, if I'm not going to get the money for my hard work, count me out.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
which non-Cap and Bucky Marvel slashfic pairing do you think people write about in the most socially conscious way (and please, slashfic only)

I’m gonna throw this one out there: ant-man and the hulk

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

I’m gonna throw this one out there: ant-man and the hulk

Hmm. Human sounding. Frightening, yet compelling.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ant-Man is a good choice for that sort of thing in general, because he can assume whatever size is ideal for the...uh... situation.

:dong:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harime Nui posted:

The other half of the joke is that Steve being in 'tactical command,' is kind of a sinecure considering, like, how many loving different ways can you use Hulk and Thor? You have "go hit it" and "hold back for now." It's like getting to be the guy who yanks the chain on the artillery.

Hulk, breach and clear

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Harime Nui posted:

He negs her a lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

No

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sean10mm posted:

GotG and Ragnarok in particular "make up" for this by pushing the bright colors brighter.

I noticed this movie had less of that too, it seemed.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

A fun fact about this new lighting is that it was created with the help of Stu the IT guy from What We Do In The Shadows.

https://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-valkyrie-flashbacks/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

She's way too ugly.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

AndyElusive posted:

She's way too ugly.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 18, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ricdesi posted:

Tony Stark is not the CFO.

He’s a shareholder with controlling interest, which means that he has majority ownership of the company and effectively outranks both Stark Industries’ (offscreen) board of directors and Stark Industries CEO Pepper Potts.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So wait, is it true that the whole point of the Blockbuster Video forum is to discuss movies without SMG?

If that's true then that's a monument to the greatest work of trolling SA has seen since Toblerone Triangular

I take it all back, SMG is good, actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AndyElusive posted:

She's way too ugly.

She’s very beautiful.

On the inside.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A beautiful man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
“The avengers” don’t really even seem like much of a thing at this point in the story. Only Spider-Man seems really tied into it as an organization. Very few of the important characters seem to be acting as members of avengers. Stark isn’t drax’s boss or anything.