Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

Don't forget they're like $4.50 for 12 ml rather than $3.00 for 17 ml like most other brands. That's what really puts me off of them.

12ml of my old GW paints have lasted me way longer than 17ml of a lot of other stuff. Thicker out of the bottle, better coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Eifert Posting posted:

I love valejo air gunmetal and chrome, but the bright Brass comes out like the world's weakest wash.

Ugh, that'll be why my attempt as using is last night was so unsuccessful.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

glitchkrieg posted:

Ugh, that'll be why my attempt as using is last night was so unsuccessful.

VMA Bright Brass sucks. VGA Bright Bronze is great, albeit a completely different color.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

My own custom polyurethane GhostDip.

It just occurred to me that the Sister Superior has truck nuts.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

dexefiend posted:

VMA Bright Brass sucks. VGA Bright Bronze is great, albeit a completely different color.

Yeah I think I'm going to suck it up and use a gold/bronze for my highlight coat and redo it this evening.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It looks amazing if you can get it even, though.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
The shipping was more than I expected, but Dark Star makes some of the best metallics I've used: http://www.darkstarmini.co.uk/darkstar-molten-metals.html

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gently caress. Got into a painting conversation tonight with some people and now I really want to do Neon 80's Punk Orks. Any good colors to look out for for Neon Pinks/Blues/Purples?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

S.J. posted:

gently caress. Got into a painting conversation tonight with some people and now I really want to do Neon 80's Punk Orks. Any good colors to look out for for Neon Pinks/Blues/Purples?

I'm planning on mixing some of the reaper bones neons (dungeon slime, monster maw, canary yellow http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/bones) with fw artist inks for coverage when I do my neon Escher ladies.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Yo my dudes. Is there any way to fix old green stuff? I've got a stick that's probably over 10 years old at this point. The yellow portion is just fine and is still plenty malleable, but the blue portion seems to have dried out and become rock hard. When I mix the two together I end up with a tacky yellow ribbon filled with rock hard blue shards but no actual greenstuff. Trying to fill some gaps in Forgeworld pieces and the liquid greenstuff I bought for the job was pretty much a waste of $5.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Das_Ubermike posted:

Yo my dudes. Is there any way to fix old green stuff? I've got a stick that's probably over 10 years old at this point. The yellow portion is just fine and is still plenty malleable, but the blue portion seems to have dried out and become rock hard. When I mix the two together I end up with a tacky yellow ribbon filled with rock hard blue shards but no actual greenstuff. Trying to fill some gaps in Forgeworld pieces and the liquid greenstuff I bought for the job was pretty much a waste of $5.

Yes, there's a simple and foolproof way to fix it: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Stuff-Yellow-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B002MB61RQ

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Thanks you goddamn scrotum.

Anyone have any real suggestions?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Seriously, just throw it out and get some new stuff. And if you want a liquid putty, get Mr. Dissolved Putty (but be aware it's for very small gaps).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Das_Ubermike posted:

Thanks you goddamn scrotum.

Anyone have any real suggestions?

You can't save it. It's not savable. The hardener part of the resin/hardener combo has done what it's designed to do and hardened.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished Malifaux Ten Thunder's Ototo

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

This is all sorts of awesome!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Philthy posted:

This is fantastic! You really brought the motionof the model to life.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Victory Lap!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Inceptor Progress: Done. Total Time: 28:03

What should I do next; 5 Intercessors or reward myself for getting to 500 points with an Armiger?

I really need a better camera. My phone camera doesn't allow for most of the modern manual features, and the banding is so bad thanks to the LED lighting that I own that I can't take any pictures without them being overexposed to compensate.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wow, all that in just over 28 minutes!

Oh.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Victory Lap!

I really need a better camera. My phone camera doesn't allow for most of the modern manual features, and the banding is so bad thanks to the LED lighting that I own that I can't take any pictures without them being overexposed to compensate.

I love the way the bone looks on that big-rear end diving helmet on the dude in the center.

After all the scale75 chat yesterday I ended up ordering a couple of sets off amazon. Looking forward to messing with them. I'm hoping the African and Indian shadows will help get some good fleshtones, it's hard to find stuff not aimed at caucasian skin and I want more variety than that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I love the way the bone looks on that big-rear end diving helmet on the dude in the center.

Yeah that turned out to be a really fun way to differentiate the Sergeant.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that turned out to be a really fun way to differentiate the Sergeant.

It looks cool but after thinking about it for a second picturing a helmetted head inside the helmet I had a giggle for a minute.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

After all the scale75 chat yesterday I ended up ordering a couple of sets off amazon. Looking forward to messing with them. I'm hoping the African and Indian shadows will help get some good fleshtones, it's hard to find stuff not aimed at caucasian skin and I want more variety than that.
I posted these guys a while ago. All the skin is made with the Scale75 flesh set + Army Painter soft tone. You can get a lot of variety out of it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

If you bought their fleshtone set, you're in for a treat. Even just using them in triads gives you some really rich skin tones. My dudes are actually decently diverse nowadays.

If you got your hands on the black and white set, lemme know how you like it. I've been thinking about grabbing it to paint some vehicles and armor, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to spend a million years highlighting black.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

It looks cool but after thinking about it for a second picturing a helmetted head inside the helmet I had a giggle for a minute.

Now just imagine how he feels about those scrubs who run around with exposed heads.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Now just imagine how he feels about those scrubs who run around with exposed heads.

This is honestly the best retort. :golfclap:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

I posted these guys a while ago. All the skin is made with the Scale75 flesh set + Army Painter soft tone. You can get a lot of variety out of it.

Army painter soft tone is my go to for when I feel like I've irredeemably hosed up some skin. A few coats coats can turn anyone into a pleasantly brown skinned person.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to a 1500 point tournament on Sunday. Just finished painting the entire army. I'm ecstatic to be able to stop painting scouts and go back to painting fun and interesting things (like another contemptor and leviathan). I do eventually want to do a third scout squad so I can run an entire battalion of them, but I won't be painting it until I make a list that requires it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Very nice, I love how you did the scouts.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

So one of my (metal) models arrived with a thin part really badly bent (almost 90 degrees, it's kind of impressive); are there any precautions I should take when bending it back into position? What about reinforcement? I mostly just don't want to break my first model by accident and I don't know much about pewter's resistance to bending.

The model is Reaper's Britta, War Maiden, if that's a factor.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Like Clockwork posted:

So one of my (metal) models arrived with a thin part really badly bent (almost 90 degrees, it's kind of impressive); are there any precautions I should take when bending it back into position? What about reinforcement? I mostly just don't want to break my first model by accident and I don't know much about pewter's resistance to bending.

Just be careful - try to grasp the surrounding area with your fingers when you bend it back. As you move the part back into position, you don't want to put all of the pressure on that one particular point. Metal is pretty resilient, to an extent, so you should be alright - just don't bend it back and forth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Like Clockwork posted:

Just take it slow and make sure to distribute the force a bit so you're not focusing all of the bending on a single point.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Moon Monster posted:

Just take it slow and make sure to distribute the force a bit so you're not focusing all of the bending on a single point.

You're also gonna hear some creaking and crunching but that's normal.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
The metal is also pretty soft, try holding your thumb and forefinger over the bend and letting your body heat warm it up so that it has some stretch before you bend it back.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
One thing I do for really thin metal parts to reinforce them is to "paint" some superglue over it. Superglue isn't very flexible, so it helps reinforce it against minor bumps.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the 40k thread, have some Skitarii.

Tried to do a 'quick' scheme with lots of drybrushing and washing since I've potentially got at least 20-30 more of the buggers to paint, but I think it might still be too complex.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Those are really nice. The hazard stripes make it imo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Crossposting from the 40k thread, have some Skitarii.

Tried to do a 'quick' scheme with lots of drybrushing and washing since I've potentially got at least 20-30 more of the buggers to paint, but I think it might still be too complex.

The hazard stripes are perfect. My only crit would be that I think the bases are too similar to the robes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

The hazard stripes are perfect. My only crit would be that I think the bases are too similar to the robes.

Yeah I'm following a similar recipe that I used for the bone white on my Armiger. I did try and break it a little by adding some dust to the robes but it's not very visible from the angle of the photos.

The alternative is edging all the robes but that's a whole new nightmare in of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I loving love the admech range.