Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I bet he'd be happy if people turned into dinosaurs so he could hunt them

This actually happened in a recent Venom storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'll admit Land before Crime is a good title, but it makes me think of like pre-eating the apple in the garden of eden, not dinosaurs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still feel really dumb I forgot to bring my copy of Spider-Man and the X-men for Kalan to sign.

Next time they have a Toronto pod recording, next time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not feeling Aaron's Avengers after two issues :/

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Sauron is an X-Men villain. That panel is from Spider-Men and the X-Men.

Half of that plan was Stegron's.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I feel like Aaron's Avengers is going to need an arc or two to breathe and get going. Based on the first issue I'm assuming he got the, "The Big 3 need to be featured heavily for movie synchronicity."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not feeling Aaron's Avengers after two issues :/

Yeah i never thought I'd say this about an Aaron book but today's issue kinda sucked and the overwrought Loki dialogue trying to explain away the one part anti diversity move and one part movie synergy pisses me off tbh, you guys aren't fooling anyone

E: have we not seen the last of Jane Thor???

site fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 16, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually loved the second issue, mostly for Hulk vs. Ghost Rider and Captain Marvel actually being cool. Jen and Carol are two characters I really like who haven't been fun or interesting in their own books for a while, and I'm excited to see what Aaron does with them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also I dig Jen's new status quo of being a more traditional Hulk and I was disappointed with how little it was explored in her solo series, so I'm glad that idea is still getting air and it's under the pen of a writer I trust.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You didn't like tamakis hulk?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought the first arc was cool, if a little slow paced, and then the stories after that just totally lost me. I really liked a lot of the themes on paper - trauma, alienation, Jen's previous source of confidence becoming dangerous and fearful, the Hulk actually being a monster she was struggling to control - but it felt very, very slow and unwilling to pull the trigger on a lot of the premises it was setting up.

I guess what I'd say about it is that it felt very short on the climaxes it was promising. Jen never really turns into the Hulk and does things she regrets, so the promise of Hulk as a terrifying alter-ego is blunted. And it's just agonisingly slow - as an example, #7 has the start of the monster drug arc where the YouTube baking vlogger gets dosed with a mutagen. Issue #8 has the vlogger going on a rampage to find the guys who dosed him. Jen starts looking for the vlogger in the final two pages of #8. Issue #9 has her failing to find him as she shakes down some leads. She finds and confronts him in issue #10. It's an insane stretch for such a simple procedural story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm a little torn about that new status quo, because while I think Tamaki dealt with it about as well as is possible, and even sprinkled in a bit of the old-school vibe in the lead-in to the Legacy arc, and while I acknowledge that dealing with female anger as both a constructive and destructive force rather than something to be hidden and ashamed of is an under-explored theme, there's also a part of me that a) liked the old school She-Hulk because of the contrast with the regular version, b) feel that having everyone except the Leader react to gamma rays by becoming a rage monster is unimaginative and c) I liked the idea that it was more nuanced than that and that it accentuated the victim's insecurities in various ways. Bruce Banner represses his anger issues due to his lovely upbringing, so he becomes an unstoppable force of rage. The Leader was constantly humiliated for not being smart enough so becomes one of the smartest beings in creation, Jen is shy and insecure in her own body, so she becomes impossible to ignore and craves the spotlight. Hell, it even worked decently well for the original Red Hulks. Ross hates the Hulk more than anything, so he bcomes the very threat he's always accused Banner of being. Betty hates constantly being the victim or an object for her husband and her father and every other man in her life to fight over, so the Red She-Hulk persona was utterly self-centred and almost delighted in pissing them off.

I realise a good 50-60% of this is WAHHHH I LIKED IT THE WAY IT WAS WHEN I WAS 16! But I really do miss the old fun She-Hulk too, and think the character is a lot more complex and interesting in ways that weren't often explored well. :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Some of the events in this Avengers issue kinda flew by me (there are things...happening...because..............?..oOH SPARKLY LIGHTS OOH!), but I did like a lot of the inter-Avengers quipping here, along with the Robbie Reyes characterizing. Aarons has a wee bit of a different take on this guy than his main writer did, but it's still a pretty enjoyable take.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Tony and Carol are cool now?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So Tony and Carol are cool now?

Civil war who?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you ask marvel they were never not good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/996769023395270656

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That's just crazy enough to get the book canceled

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How are there two comic book creators who use a stegosaurus for their signature?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If your name was STEGMAN you would, too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Simonson's is a Brontosaurus :colbert:

edit:
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/996942654297595904

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 17, 2018

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/997152264182788102?s=21

I don’t think anyone saw this coming but cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Edmund Lava posted:

You beat me by a second, but, yep, this is going on my pullist. Like, the second I saw Gwenpool, I'm like "well, gotta buy this now."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sounds pretty cool, but is this a miniseries? I thought part of the pitch to retailers for Aaron's Avengers was that it would be the only ongoing Avengers book for the near term.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
GWEN RIDES AGAIN!!!

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know if I can accept a Gwenpool that doesn't include Batroc and the rest of the MODOK crew.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What made me gag was kelly agreeing with someones comment that theyre now shipping quentin and gwen please for the love of God no

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Too bad Quentin's in it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edmund Lava posted:

oh my god I have wanted this book my entire life and didn't know it until right now

I need this

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds pretty cool, but is this a miniseries? I thought part of the pitch to retailers for Aaron's Avengers was that it would be the only ongoing Avengers book for the near term.

It's an ongoing according to Thompson.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

thats so exciting apart from Gwenpool:ninja:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mods

MODS

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The only person who has ever written Gwen like a well-rounded character is Hastings and everyone else defaults to her being a wacky Deadpool-lite, so I do have concerns.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

thats so exciting apart from Gwenpool:ninja:

Same

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ban Request for Fansub.

Kate, Clint, Gwen, Quire, America is pretty much as close to a Dream Team as I’m likely to get. And I have faith that KT will get Gwen right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In for Ms America.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Whose the guy with the nose, mouth, and one earing? He's apparently called Fuse.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

Whose the guy with the nose, mouth, and one earing? He's apparently called Fuse.

Kate's bf from Thompson's Hawkeye. This is his first thing as a hero.

Read that comic, if you haven't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

mods

MODS

Mod agrees.

Rhyno posted:

In for Ms America.

It'll be nice to see he written well after her lovely solo book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who all have written Gwen besides that issue of waids champions and the lovely rocket mini by the guy I'd never heard of

• Locked thread