Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why do Casters keep getting ugly clothes lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Karma for rdm and smn being the funnest dps classes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kitfox88 posted:

Karma for rdm and smn being the funnest dps classes

BRD is more fun than either of those and it gets way better dressup options

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The legs on the aiming set and that caster robe are god awful, the rest are pretty good.

That said, really wishing they'd just gone with 12's Vaan outfit, cause there is a criminal lack of plain vests in this game.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Brainamp posted:

The legs on the aiming set and that caster robe are god awful, the rest are pretty good.

That said, really wishing they'd just gone with 12's Vaan outfit, cause there is a criminal lack of plain vests in this game.

Only if it gives everybody wearing it nightmarish painted-on abs.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They could have given casters the FFTA2 Penelo outfit instead for consistency's sale I guess?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

:eyepop:
I need that murderwaifu

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

They could have given casters the FFTA2 Penelo outfit instead for consistency's sale I guess?

Healers, you mean?

Foxhound posted:

:eyepop:
I need that murderwaifu

:yeah:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Arist posted:

We know what ilvl Ridorana Lighthouse will be? I'm about to hit 350 but I assume it won't be above that.

Should be 335 to enter and dropping 360 gear.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Healers, you mean?

It would surely have been both casters and healers with a palette swap.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arist posted:

BRD is more fun than either of those and it gets way better dressup options

:wrong: about the first part but correct about the second

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sade posted:

Should be 335 to enter and dropping 360 gear.

Rabanastre dropped 330, same as o1-4. My guess would be 350 and 335 from the 4 man

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

Rabanastre dropped 330, same as o1-4. My guess would be 350 and 335 from the 4 man

O1-4 dropped 320 which is equivalent to 350 this round.
Rabanastre dropped 330 which is equivalent to the unaugmented tomestone gear at 360

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Yeah, you're right I was misrembering

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

No Pagos Relic Armor upgrades apparently, which I guess makes sense given the lack of ilvls they have available without making them on par with Savage raiding gear. Guess we'll find out in 4.4/4.45 if they actually follow through on the relic armor poo poo.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8k4h1i/translated_patch_43_info_from_the_game/

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Samurais will be getting a simple buff to their DPS. Multiple combos will be buffed and a "certain action" will have an enmity reduction added to it. Monks will also have an enmity reduction added to a certain ability.
The concept is "using it when necessary, instead of it being automatically in your strongest rotation".
Wonder what this will be, I can't think of anything where it makes logical sense for SAM except maybe on that healing ability that I don't keep on my hotbar

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wonder what this will be, I can't think of anything where it makes logical sense for SAM except maybe on that healing ability that I don't keep on my hotbar

I'm expecting it to be on their jump back ability.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The existence of a dodo mount is the best news I've heard all day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bolow posted:

No Pagos Relic Armor upgrades apparently, which I guess makes sense given the lack of ilvls they have available without making them on par with Savage raiding gear. Guess we'll find out in 4.4/4.45 if they actually follow through on the relic armor poo poo.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8k4h1i/translated_patch_43_info_from_the_game/

It would make sense to just have the weapon upgrade in every Eureka update and then just do the armor in the 1st, 3rd, final updates.

4.25 - Anemos - Pazuzu - weapon and armor
4.36 - Pagos - Ice Golem - weapon
4.45 - Flamerus Rex or Dualhead Hydra - weapon and armor
4.55 - Flamerus Rex or Dualhead Hydra - weapon
??? - Castle for Dark King - weapon and armor.

They could always put out the final Eureka zone in 4.5 and then do the Castle as something similar to a relic “victory lap” for 4.55.

I doubt it will be a full zone for the Castle, so I wonder if it will be either a dungeon or just a multi-stage trial. I could see it being a multi-stage trial (like the Greg trials), where we fight Zuh, Stone Golem, Twinhead Hydra, and Skullrus Rex before fighting the Dark King.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jose Valasquez posted:

Meditate, Gyoten Yaten, or Merciful Eyes are the candidates, based on that line about "using as needed instead of in their strongest rotation".

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 17, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

The existence of a dodo mount is the best news I've heard all day.

:same:

I agree that the sam enmity down will probably be added to the backstep. So, nice for the fights where that's relevant and modestly annoying in the fights where it isn't.

I doubt they'd add it to meditate since if you're able to use that there isn't anything to punch anyway. Merciful Eyes would be annoying as poo poo because that means less stabs and also only works in fights where the unavoidable damage comes out when you need enmity down.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Finally finished the Heavensward MSQ last night and was super pumped to make it in to Stormblood only to realize I have 3 patches left of content to clear before I even make it there. :eng99:

In my mad dash to finish, though, I somehow ended up with enough tomestones for a fresh gear upgrade so that was a nice surprise.

I also unlocked Stone, Sky, Sea. Is it actually useful?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

bigman.50grand posted:

I also unlocked Stone, Sky, Sea. Is it actually useful?

SSS is just kind of a dps check for savage raids. So not really unless you want to see how good your dps is without a targeting dummy at home.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SSS can be used as a basic competency check (if you badly fail a dummy for a fight that's around your ilvl you need to up your game) or to measure your improvement by timing how long it takes to kill a dummy. It's a poor substitute for a real dps meter though.

On the other hand, it keeps the Mantravilles gainfully employed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hopefully the SAM enmity down will be on the backstep. Merciful Eyes is a straight up DPS loss and Meditation is too situational.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rainuwastaken posted:

The Vaan outfit for Monk is super slick, but I cannot get over how unbearably hideous the rest of them are. Especially those casting and healing sets, jesus. "Here, wear this burlap sack."

You mock the frock, you get hit for a holy that is mathematically assured to kill you in one hit that you cannot dodge or reflect.

Don't mock the frock :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know but it really needs to end. I'm just waiting for the inevitable paper-bag-over-the-head-with-no-eyeholes. Perhaps with "NO" stenciled on the front in bright red.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what exactly was the hard thing about Alexander Savage that made it so terrible? As sombody that's only going back through normal and seeing it unsyched to get it unlocked for raid roulette coming out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A4S has Nisi and Pentacles, which are basically "gently caress you, party wipe" mechanics. Even unsycned.

A8S, which I know a bit better, has a soft enrage at the start of the fight if you DPS too hard but not hard enough to kill it before Execution, four robots that each do a Raid-wide self-destruct if they're the only one left alive at any point, a phase where Brute Justice splits into the five robots that comprised it and each shoots out an instant kill mechanic that you need to avoid every part of, followed by Brute Justice becoming Super Saiyan and using a time limit mechanic that wipes the party if they either don't kill it in 15 seconds or do a series of mechanics that require you to have specific debuffs on you, HP amounts, and other nonsense.

Basically, gently caress Alexander Savage. Ironically, Alexander himself is pretty tolerable on Savage, Radiant Sacrament aside.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what exactly was the hard thing about Alexander Savage that made it so terrible? As sombody that's only going back through normal and seeing it unsyched to get it unlocked for raid roulette coming out.

Alexander Savage up through Midas was ridiculously overtuned.

A3S dealt monstrous amounts of damage and was so directly hard many raid statics exploded on impact. A4S was not only overtuned with a brutal DPS requirement and Nisi and Royal Pentacle which were mechanics so hatefully obnoxious it was easier to just intentionally kill half your party and rez them rather than try them normally. A6S also blew up a lot of raid statics by being incredibly nastily harsh (and as a bonus it shipped with a bug that could render it unclearable). A8S had almost all the nasty mechanics of A6S plus a bunch more, and was yet again hatefully overtuned.

I'm given to understand A9-12S were actually pretty tolerable, but the first two wings of Alexander were just way too hard in not very fun ways. Omega's difficulty curve has been much better Alexander's.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They were still trying to figure out the correct difficulty curve during A1-A8.

A9-A12, is where they finally got it.

The current system of Omega + Curbstomp Coil as a further difficulty level is them taking their lessons and adding an additional tier on top for the 5%ers.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

Alexander Savage up through Midas was ridiculously overtuned.

A3S dealt monstrous amounts of damage and was so directly hard many raid statics exploded on impact. A4S was not only overtuned with a brutal DPS requirement and Nisi and Royal Pentacle which were mechanics so hatefully obnoxious it was easier to just intentionally kill half your party and rez them rather than try them normally. A6S also blew up a lot of raid statics by being incredibly nastily harsh (and as a bonus it shipped with a bug that could render it unclearable). A8S had almost all the nasty mechanics of A6S plus a bunch more, and was yet again hatefully overtuned.

I'm given to understand A9-12S were actually pretty tolerable, but the first two wings of Alexander were just way too hard in not very fun ways. Omega's difficulty curve has been much better Alexander's.

Man, you're not giving loving Pepsiman enough credit (that's A3S, for people unfamiliar with the pain). Not only were the numbers themselves overtuned, but the mechanics were just nightmarish. In particular, at like 90% HP he used an ability called Digititis (since heavily nerfed), which gave one tank a massive Vuln Up debuff, one healer a massive Healing Down, and one DPS a massive Damage Down. you'd pass the debuff to the first party member you touched. that's not a new mechanic, but in this one you had to make three passes in 10 seconds or so, among essentially random people. that's again not impossible. but it just didn't loving work. you'd pass within spitting distance of somebody and your debuff would loving vacuum onto them, but then you'd stand directly on top of your pass partner for five seconds and nothing would loving happen. it was infuriating.

nisi and pentacle were stupid bullshit, but like eighty people ever even saw it.

A9 through 12 were fine, though.

e: oh man I forgot that 6 was nerfed. blaster used to drop two invisible mines instead of one. oof

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 18, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Never did it myself, but A3S was the death of dozens of raiding statics. It was one of those situations where loving up anything even once was likely to wipe you. Didn't help that the preceding two fights were comparative jokes, to the point that Paladin was an insanely suboptimal tank on A2S merely because it had no AoE DPS to speak of. It was like driving over a series of small hills and then suddenly running smack into a thousand mile high brick wall.

World War Mammories posted:

but it just didn't loving work.

Yeah, this is the other, subtler thing about A3S: the tether/debuff passing mechanic has always been finnicky due to server ticks, but it seemed ultra finnicky in A3S for some bizarre reason. Y'know those tethers you see getting passed around in A3N? Ever tried taking one of them? Imagine those, but your raid wipes if you can't get them to work.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 18, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The best part about A3S was at a fanfest when the fight designer was talking about Digititis and says something like "how did you guys ever get past T2?"

The answer of course was that everybody cheesed Allagan Rot because it was also stupid bullshit and letting the boss soft enrage was less frustrating than dealing with it.

Nowadays, Guardian's Virus is also a debuff handoff but only one, there's a super long setup for it, and it'll only ever apply to one of two people unless you have a weird comp. Even then it'll sometimes randomly explode anyway because the game decides you aren't actually standing on the other melee for the last 5 seconds.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

bigman.50grand posted:

Finally finished the Heavensward MSQ last night and was super pumped to make it in to Stormblood only to realize I have 3 patches left of content to clear before I even make it there. :eng99:

Same, but I haven't bought SB. Do the 3.x patch MSQ give out experience? If I can do them now without missing out on experience (locked to 60 with no XP gain until I buy SB), that would be nice, but if they'll give out XP i'll play with some other classes until I'm ready to buy SB.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yeah, virus program is tolerable because there's one pass to be done at a time, which you can handle by marking a fixed location where it's done. but if someone takes a step when they shouldn't it still loves to schloop onto them like loving ferrofluid or something.

I'm hoping the raid designers don't get infiltrated by whoever the gently caress has been pushing diadem and eureka, and keep combing through old WoW raids for ideas to play with. the extra action button is promising. imagine an allagan rot which you can pass by actually targeting another player and pressing the extra action button :allears:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
You're forgetting how much of the tether passing netcode improved pre/post 3.2; compare the Pepsiman experience with Sephirot, everyone I knew was astounded at how suddenly they seemed to have figured out the netcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Hopefully the SAM enmity down will be on the backstep. Merciful Eyes is a straight up DPS loss and Meditation is too situational.

You say that like using the backstep wouldn't be a bigger dps loss than either of those other two options.
Of the three choices you present, if it's a "when you use ability you get enmity reduction" type move I'll gladly take it as an addon to Meditate, but it'll probably be the backstep.