Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Meck Pomses posted:

I liked Daikatana. The main reason why it has such a bad repuation is because people got mad about the "John Romero's About To Make You His Bitch" ad.

iirc it was just boring, not really bad or good. also wasn't it buggy as gently caress on release?

one game i really liked was SiN, remember SiN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Daikatana got more poo poo than it would've because of that ad but also it was just a poo poo game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Daikatana got more poo poo than it would've because of that ad but also it was just a poo poo game.

i cannot leave without my buddy: super fly

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It also didn't help that probably the ugliest and generally worst episode in Daikatana is the first one.

But even without that or bugs, the game was really poorly thought out. Like half the weapons were more likely to hurt you than your enemies etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dyna Soar posted:

iirc it was just boring, not really bad or good. also wasn't it buggy as gently caress on release?

I never played it because the installer crashed every time I tried, using the original media.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

Dyna Soar posted:

one game i really liked was SiN, remember SiN?

I didn't find Daikatana boring. It had a bigger variety of monsters and weapons than most other FPS. A completely new enemy and weapon set for each of the four episodes. Robofrogs and cybermoths in the first episode are weird, but at least creative. Also that polluted swamps setting mixed with cybertpunk neon fortresses was kind of cool.

Yes, SiN is also a great game of that time. Shame it didn't had a worthy sequel.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
eh, maybe i fell for the hype train. it was supposed to be so amazing and what we got was just another FPS.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

sebmojo posted:

i cannot leave without my buddy: super fly

You may not just shoot things and quit - you also have to babysit!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Losing progress on death in horror games does not make them scary, it makes them annoying as gently caress.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sardonik posted:

Losing progress on death in horror games does not make them scary, it makes them annoying as gently caress.

Not unpopular. I threw away The Evil Within after struggling with the first little stealth sequence in like the first chapter. There are too many good games to struggle against some stealth garbage.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Meck Pomses posted:

I didn't find Daikatana boring. It had a bigger variety of monsters and weapons than most other FPS. A completely new enemy and weapon set for each of the four episodes. Robofrogs and cybermoths in the first episode are weird, but at least creative. Also that polluted swamps setting mixed with cybertpunk neon fortresses was kind of cool.

Yes, SiN is also a great game of that time. Shame it didn't had a worthy sequel.

It had this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1300/SiN_Episodes_Emergence/

It was fun as heck. One of my favorite things were unlimited high score levels with deathmatch style maps that just kept spawning harder baddies until you die. If this game had online leaderboards I'd still be playing it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I think if they had released it in the state it was after the dlc where there were maps that weren't just hosed choke points and it didn't crash if you tried to do things like move or shoot it would have been good

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dead Space is such a loving lovely series. I'm so happy Prey was released and is literally everything Dead Space wanted to be yet could never achieve.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got Dead Space a year ago in a bundle or somesuch. Played it a bit, and apart from being dated, just struck me as being a really boring linear shooter. Played maybe an hour, which should be enough to get a feel for a title. I can't get Prey to run under WINE yet, but I'm really looking forward to it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Someone explain to me why you would pick anything but Argonian as your race in Elder Scrolls. How do you beat "breathes underwater and is also a dinosaur man"?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SpazmasterX posted:

Someone explain to me why you would pick anything but Argonian as your race in Elder Scrolls. How do you beat "breathes underwater and is also a dinosaur man"?

I like to play the shifty cat drugs race.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Alkosh smiles upon you.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

fruit on the bottom posted:

Gun to my head, at least khajit have night eye. Even though Skyrim was never as dark as Morrowind or Oblivion got.

Edit: Lizards have a 10x health regeneration ability too which I forgot to mention. How great is that?

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

SpazmasterX posted:

There's never anything underwater and the most notable thing about them is a sexy maid book. Then again, if you pick humans of any sort it's probably racist, and elves are dicks, so i guess orc or argonian is still the best option.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

There's never anything underwater and the most notable thing about them is a sexy maid book. Then again, if you pick humans of any sort it's probably racist, and elves are dicks, so i guess orc or argonian is still the best option.

Skyrim yeah all underwater breathing gets you is easier paths but Oblivion made that poo poo super useful. I remember one quest where someone sends you down a well to get a ring but it turns out to be a cursed ring that weighs you down so you drown. Meanwhile I'm just slowly swimming back like "why am I moving so slow wait how am I overweight"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SpazmasterX posted:

"why am I moving so slow wait how am I overweight"

and the answer was: too many videogames

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lemming posted:

I think if they had released it in the state it was after the dlc where there were maps that weren't just hosed choke points and it didn't crash if you tried to do things like move or shoot it would have been good

Yeah true

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Skyrim yeah all underwater breathing gets you is easier paths but Oblivion made that poo poo super useful. I remember one quest where someone sends you down a well to get a ring but it turns out to be a cursed ring that weighs you down so you drown. Meanwhile I'm just slowly swimming back like "why am I moving so slow wait how am I overweight"

in oblivion there is a magic helm called Fin Gleam you can pick up at level one that gives you both water breathing and night vision. this makes both the cat and lizard people irrelevant. the best race is obviously Redguard, for the swarthiness

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serephina posted:

I got Dead Space a year ago in a bundle or somesuch. Played it a bit, and apart from being dated, just struck me as being a really boring linear shooter. Played maybe an hour, which should be enough to get a feel for a title. I can't get Prey to run under WINE yet, but I'm really looking forward to it

Dead space is way better than Prey.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

veni veni veni posted:

Dead space is way better than Prey.

Gonna have to disagree there amigo. I liked DS1 and 2 but Prey was better. I think the only thing DS has over Prey were the types of weapons and armor you got to use, even if Prey let you feel more badass by the end than DS2 did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly couldn't get into Prey at all. Played about 2/3rds of it and just got bored. I liked it a lot conceptually but didn't think the gameplay was fun and the pacing felt really bad to me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I couldn't really get into Prey myself, but I think that's more due to me being in a certain frame of mind when I played it than anything wrong with the game specifically. There's a lot of stuff I like about it, I just wasn't enjoying interacting with it and dropped it

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Prey's ending twist is totally cool and good and frames the game in an extremely unique and satisfying way: the game judges you on your empathy and reasoning in playing it as an actual video game.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 is much much better than Metroid Prime 1

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Alan 00X posted:

Metroid Prime 2 is much much better than Metroid Prime 1

what was the deal for a few years in the 2000s with every game having a light/dark mechanic

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
assassings creed iv is still the best sailing/shanty simulator ever created

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DrPossum posted:

assassings creed iv is still the best sailing/shanty simulator ever created

Sid Myers Pirates does a lovely QTE and laughs in your face.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I tried playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time recently and its really bad... Who thought running around identical apartment building corridors and rooms for hours as the first thing the player does was a good idea. The LucasArts esque puzzles are pretty lolworthy too

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

I tried playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time recently and its really bad... Who thought running around identical apartment building corridors and rooms for hours as the first thing the player does was a good idea. The LucasArts esque puzzles are pretty lolworthy too

Resident evil, silent hill etc. are all p bad

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mandrel posted:

what was the deal for a few years in the 2000s with every game having a light/dark mechanic

it's fun

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I tried to replay Skyrim but the interface was so bad that I just kept getting taken right out of the experience.

And yet I love Crusader Kings 2? :shrug:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
why are there no light dark mechanics in games today :colbert:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

a bone to pick posted:

Dead Space is such a loving lovely series. I'm so happy Prey was released and is literally everything Dead Space wanted to be yet could never achieve.

I bought Dead Space (2?) on steam on some sale, and it was a lovely lovely game. Horrible clunky controls that were clearly designed for console. Ok, be a console game but do not release it like that on PC. It was the last console to PC port I bought.

FPS as a genre really is unplayable on console if you do it with mouse and keyboard first, and doubly so if you have mouse and keyboard and the game wont let you use them because it was designed for a lovely console.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 28, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

doverhog posted:

FPS as a genre really is unplayable on console if you do it with mouse and keyboard first, and doubly so if you have mouse and keyboard and the game wont let you use them because it was designed for a lovely console.

autoaim, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

why don't consoles let you use mouse/keyboard? they all have USB ports now, you should be able to just plug it in.