Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Played a lot of Quake titles and Doom 2 online with a trackball for years, I still think I had a much finer degree of aim control using a trackball. One of my original schemes when you could actually remap keys easily (altho you could typically change keys manually if you knew how through setup) was ASEF, E being forward and S being backwards. Space was run, right click was strafe, left click was fire, jump (quake) was R, and use was D.

Weird to think about it now and how I've used the standardized controls for almost as long. I think it was a more modern shooter, I'm thinking Medal of Honor that actually changed my scheme setup towards what's standard today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I want the sick pubg player who streams themselves smoking everyone with a hotas.

On that note, Steel Battalion-style battle royale when

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

For content; is doing ADS worth it? Just going ironsights/red dot/holo each time gives better stability, right?

(Obviously doesn't apply to when you have a scope on)

You've got your terminology mixed up. ADS means "Aim Down Sights", in other words the same thing as using iron sights, red dot/holo, or scope.
The feature normally bound to "hold right mouse button" is named simply "Aim" in the controls settings.

To answer your question:
My impression is that ADS gives no bullet spread (just recoil), ie every shot always goes exactly where the sight is pointing, but the sight moves a bit after each shot (depending on your attachments etc).

Contrarily, I think hip firing (just shooting) or RMB aiming applies bullet spread, meaning you don't hit the point you aim for exactly. More like other FPS games. The size of your aiming reticle indicates roughly how big this spread is, same as in CS:GO.
I could we wildly mistaken on this, though, so someone please correct me in that case.
RMB aiming tightens up your bullet spread a lot compared to hip firing. Should help when spraying someone down with an Uzi or AKM and at close range when every bullet is likely to hit despite the spread.
ADS is what you want to use to kill someone at more than 5 meters.

I almost never use RMB aim except for pistols. I suspect that people playing TPP use it a lot because they don't know any better (plus going into ADS makes some people motion sick).

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 17, 2018

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Dangerllama posted:

Taking everything from a crate and then camping it for free kills is extremely my poo poo.

Also the more I play the more I think I’m handicapped by my keymap:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads
left/right mouse = forward/back

It seems like there’s a bigger penalty than in a lot of other FPS to not being able to toggle ADS or aim on the fly extremely quickly. I’d relearn the default bindings but I’ve been playing FPS’s this way since my dickhead friend showed me Quake and had his setup bound like this. So I guess I have keybinding herpes. But it’s been 20 years so gently caress if I’m changing.

holy poo poo post of the year

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I had no idea that if you cook a stun grenade and never throw it won't blind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HinQ3fNe8Fg

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

daslog posted:

I had no idea that if you cook a stun grenade and never throw it won't blind you.

Well that is going to be annoying for my teammates.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 17, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use the "aim" function when clearing or fighting in close quarters because I can move and look much better than ADS would allow. It still seems plenty good for shooting people up close. No?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

um, actually, anyone who does anything different from me is probably just a stupid n00b, heh

-grown rear end men in this thread

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You guys don't even know the half of it in regard to key bindings.

Back when TF2 was a thing and SA's servers were still active, The Lost Continents, there was a guy (Orzo) who's keybindings became a running joke. I don't remember it all, since it's been quite a while, but they were truly remarkable. Left click was jump, right click was crouch, space was shoot, and his movement keys involved shift and alt or something like that. It was wild.

He also had a couple of outrageously loud birds, to the point that roughly 10% of the time he spoke, you couldn't hear him because the birds squawking in the background drowned him out.

TF2 was a great game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Taking everything from a crate and then camping it for free kills is extremely my poo poo.

Also the more I play the more I think I’m handicapped by my keymap:

left control = fire
left alt = aim/ads
left/right mouse = forward/back

It seems like there’s a bigger penalty than in a lot of other FPS to not being able to toggle ADS or aim on the fly extremely quickly. I’d relearn the default bindings but I’ve been playing FPS’s this way since my dickhead friend showed me Quake and had his setup bound like this. So I guess I have keybinding herpes. But it’s been 20 years so gently caress if I’m changing.

Counting the days until Bluehole finally patches in mouselook ...

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

daslog posted:

Enjoyed.

I thought I’d recalled WackyJacky confirming this, but didn’t want to test it in-game. Love the kamikaze stun grenade.. I feel like this definitely could be on a list of bugs to fix though, have to keep an eye on the future patch notes.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Back when TF2 was a thing and SA's servers were still active, The Lost Continents, there was a guy (Orzo) who's keybindings became a running joke. I don't remember it all, since it's been quite a while, but they were truly remarkable. Left click was jump, right click was crouch, space was shoot, and his movement keys involved shift and alt or something like that. It was wild.

He also had a couple of outrageously loud birds, to the point that roughly 10% of the time he spoke, you couldn't hear him because the birds squawking in the background drowned him out.

TF2 was a great game.

Yep. It's basically fps thread tradition at this point that someone will come in and inadvertently reveal their insane key-bindings and everyone will gawk and wonder at it for a few pages.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

I peaked at Mega TF. It’s been all downhill from there.

Well yea when you use those keybindings no wonder. Its like you choose to play like a potato on purpose. Sure back in the day people used crazy stuff but now its WASD or ESDF for a good reason.

Just keep using the default bindings and you will do so much better once you get used to them.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 17, 2018

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

a real chump posted:

i remember resisting moving from arrow keys to wasd but that was *checks calendar* 20 years ago

poo poo, I think I still played the original Max Payne with the arrow keys. And that was... crap, 2001.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Le0 posted:

You haven't lived before you play an FPS with a trackball.
I knew someone who played Quake and had forward bound to left mouse button and backward to right mouse button.
Having said that I probably stopped using retarded keybindings when half life was released or something. I'm glad to see there are other olds playing Pubg tho.

I used to play FPS' with a track ball, used a few different ones but the best were the simple ones with one button on each side of the ball and I did VERY well in games did amateur tournaments and poo poo in the early 2000's. People looked at me like I was crazy when I rolled in with one of those. Honestly if they still made decent ones I'd probably go back to it but all the ones now are garbage.

Xenaero posted:

Played a lot of Quake titles and Doom 2 online with a trackball for years, I still think I had a much finer degree of aim control using a trackball.

I 100% agree with you, I think I had greater control as well, the issue now-a-days is losing the functionality of having other buttons, inside and outside games.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 17, 2018

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

fyi i play using arrow keys still because of my long spider fingers and my mouse is 1600 dpi and 70 in game sensitivity

#controlfreak

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
So Reddit is melting down about audio being all messed up, and unable to judge how far away anything is.

I loaded up the game, and the sounds are completely different now. But I did notice that I could actually judge directions a bit better. Someone on Reddit says it is fixed if you enable the software surround that MS added to Windows recently.

Well I have a Sennheiser headset with 7.1 software so I tried enabling it (always used 2.0) and drat it actually works. When I watch streams, and streamers say there is a guy in this and this house, in this room, I just can't hear it at all. But suddenly, now I can hear people coming from a LOT further away. Everything sounds more "airy" like it's not so much in my head, and I guess I have to still get used to judging ranges, but I think I actually like this. I.. think?

I did see this video claiming that PUBG does actually support surround sound even if Bluehole claims not to, because the engine does actually support it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6dMYkc6r8

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sound has been pretty hosed up for me since the patch before this one, you could tell with the plane especially the sound would be coming 2/3 hundred meters to the left of where it actually was.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

TF2 was a great game.

Someone actually uploaded it

https://gist.github.com/ChadyG/83ed6d04f1b839b5807d

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

strafe left and right inverted? i dont even believe it for one minute

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

When I was young and only used the keyboard for Doom and wolf3d, all movement was done with the keyboard. At some point my brother taught me to “circle strafe”, which was just going around corners in an arc while turning your mouse. To go around a right corner smoothly (like turning around a 90 degree bend in a hallway) you strafe left would looking right.

This is the only time I used it to start, so I bound “w” to to strafe left, cuz I’d use it to turn right corners, and the inverse for w.

It may be stupid but hey I could crush pretty much any fuckin nooblord in tf2

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

Well yea when you use those keybindings no wonder. Its like you choose to play like a potato on purpose. Sure back in the day people used crazy stuff but now its WASD or ESDF for a good reason.

Just keep using the default bindings and you will do so much better once you get used to them.

Haha. My dude I feel like you have a picture in your head of Andy Rooney hunting and pecking a keyboard while chaos reigns all around. I assure you I’m pretty quick with my pinkie :smug:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Orzo posted:

He's not wrong

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Excellent.

Someone had jump on m1 though. Rline?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Orzo posted:

Straight from the horse's mouth, no less!

Do you still play any FPS games? What's your control scheme now?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lost continents was good times

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-VOLc78DOo&t=52s

Apparently the M16 buff isn't all that great. The recoil after the first bullet is still ridiculous.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

they really hosed up this patch. everything sounds worse. and their m16 buff is a nerf.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Well that is going to be annoying for my teammates.

:same:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

So Reddit is melting down about audio being all messed up, and unable to judge how far away anything is.

I loaded up the game, and the sounds are completely different now. But I did notice that I could actually judge directions a bit better. Someone on Reddit says it is fixed if you enable the software surround that MS added to Windows recently.

Well I have a Sennheiser headset with 7.1 software so I tried enabling it (always used 2.0) and drat it actually works. When I watch streams, and streamers say there is a guy in this and this house, in this room, I just can't hear it at all. But suddenly, now I can hear people coming from a LOT further away. Everything sounds more "airy" like it's not so much in my head, and I guess I have to still get used to judging ranges, but I think I actually like this. I.. think?

I did see this video claiming that PUBG does actually support surround sound even if Bluehole claims not to, because the engine does actually support it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6dMYkc6r8

the reddit thread if anyone's curious

Seems like directional audio is *much* better but it's applied an effect that makes gunshots sound weaker/further away. May or may not be intentional, someone has already pinged wacky jacky lol.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Tokubetsu posted:

the reddit thread if anyone's curious

Seems like directional audio is *much* better but it's applied an effect that makes gunshots sound weaker/further away. May or may not be intentional, someone has already pinged wacky jacky lol.

When I did my first drop I immediately noticed how much better the directional sound was on my headset. I have to say a huge improvement.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jerkface posted:

they really hosed up this patch. everything sounds worse. and their m16 buff is a nerf.

I'm so glad it isn't just me. I complained about this immediately. Everyone I play with regularly was telling me I was crazy.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Its easier to tell the direction of bullets but harder to guage distances since the patch imo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depending on the distance I hear no shooting sound at all.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, the directional audio is incredible, but they hosed with the volumes somehow so you have no idea if they are 5m or 100m.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Straight from the horse's mouth, no less!

Do you still play any FPS games? What's your control scheme now?

I play sc2

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Orzo posted:

I play sc2

Is that the name of a game, or the keys you use?

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Are stuns useful? I have about 550 hours and I almost never see or use stuns. They feel kind of unreliable. We only use them to gently caress with teammates.

Smokes on the other hand see a lot of use when we need to revive dudes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I remember once a couple hundred hours of playtime ago succesfully stunning someone and killing them.

I still pick one up in some sort of naive hope that it will come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Choco has been using stuns a lot lately. They are somewhat broken though. If one happens to be successful though they certainly mess you up.