Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AtillatheBum posted:

I don't get why you think you can only use one or the other. PPCs and Gauss are very complimentary if anything, one is very heavy but heat neutral and the other is very hot but not too weight expensive. Put them both on a mech and you'll make it even better.

I mean it's fine if you don't like a particular playstyle like sniping but trying to pretend that PPCs in this game are better than gauss any good at all is ridiculous. AC20s are great but with their limited range and heat burden they aren't the be all end all of ballistics.

I tried gauss ppc lrm and didn't care for it. I'm not sure why me saying I don't like a particular weapon and prefer others is taken as claiming it sucks and everything is better than it.

I don't like the gauss. I'm not "incorrect" for having that opinion. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I bet he's not using bulwark enough either! What's with all these people and their objectively wrong ways they play a video game???

The Gauss is lostech and really good, but upgraded PPCs are no slouch either. And the weakness of gauss isn't damage or heat, but the 180 meter minimum range. PPCs are only 90 which is way easier to deal with. IMO to get the best from it you need a pilot with both breach and the -90m min range from tactics, which is a very particular build. But even then a 90m minimum range can be uncomfortable on gun that's taking up 15 tons. You are putting a lot of eggs in one basket, and then forcing the basket to stay 4 squares behind the rest of your eggs.

The one big downside of a dedicated sniper/LRM boat is that the other mechs in your crew take proportionally more damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Klyith posted:

I bet he's not using bulwark enough either! What's with all these people and their objectively wrong ways they play a video game???

The Gauss is lostech and really good, but upgraded PPCs are no slouch either. And the weakness of gauss isn't damage or heat, but the 180 meter minimum range. PPCs are only 90 which is way easier to deal with. IMO to get the best from it you need a pilot with both breach and the -90m min range from tactics, which is a very particular build. But even then a 90m minimum range can be uncomfortable on gun that's taking up 15 tons. You are putting a lot of eggs in one basket, and then forcing the basket to stay 4 squares behind the rest of your eggs.

The one big downside of a dedicated sniper/LRM boat is that the other mechs in your crew take proportionally more damage.

by the time you get the gauss you should have high enough tactics that minimum ranges basically don't exist any more.

By the mid-late game I'm brawling all the time with my gauss rifle once poo poo descends into the melee. I don't want to be in spitting distance of them, but it's really easy to stay just outside the min especially if I'm jumping around.

Which, as a low heat weapon, it really lets you do.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Random idea for encouraging the use of smaller mechs; tonnage limitations based on detection. Something like "the enemy has sensors all over the place and you can't insert more than 200 tons without being detected". Alternatively tonnage limits based on locations, with frozen lakes that can take small mechs but collapse if the mech is too heavy, or sand areas that small mechs can get through but large mechs can only move one hex per turn. Make it an environmental or mission challenge.

Adding urban environments from the tabletop would be a huge deal changer, since most buildings/bridges aren't designed to support multi-ton war machines and can be shot out from under your mechs. Of course, then you'd have to include falling damage, and EWar fuckery to complement everything blocking lines of sight! :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like if I can't see you directly because a mountain's in the way the mech that's on the other side of the mountain shouldn't be able to use their AC20s to drill through the mountain to shoot Medusa in the robodick. Or at least if the game is going to let the AI do that let me shoot my AC20s back through the hole.

Got to miss out on the best haul I've ever seen so I don't lose another mechwarrior because of that. At least I got the AC20+++

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I tried gauss ppc lrm and didn't care for it. I'm not sure why me saying I don't like a particular weapon and prefer others is taken as claiming it sucks and everything is better than it.

Ok, but your best reason for disliking it so far seems to be "Because". Which is fine even, you don't have to love every aspect of the game but when other people tell you their opinion that "No, gauss is good" they have just as much a right to say so. Like I don't think anyone is trying to suppress your opinion, they're just giving their own.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm just baffled people are bothering to argue PPC vs Gauss when the loving AC/5 does exactly what the PPC does but better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, PPCs are pretty bad in this game.

On the other hand Gauss Rifles do have an accuracy bonus and generate barely a speck of heat so there's at least a reason to want to bring one. The upsides to bringing a GR over an AC/20 aren't as pronounced in this game but there are still reasons.

In a game of single heat sinks and no engine-integrated DHS, 75 damage with a +1 Acc bonus you don't have to budget heat for in a Lunar or Badlands map is a good deal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

by the time you get the gauss you should have high enough tactics that minimum ranges basically don't exist any more.
should geez maybe someone didn't sit down and read a guide before playing the game to know what builds to go for

or maybe someone got early injuries and so hired up more guys and has been spreading xp around a larger crew instead of sticking to the original 5

quote:

By the mid-late game I'm brawling all the time with my gauss rifle once poo poo descends into the melee. I don't want to be in spitting distance of them, but it's really easy to stay just outside the min especially if I'm jumping around.

Which, as a low heat weapon, it really lets you do.

good for you

I bet sandwich artist really regrets it every time he takes a desert or martian mission and has to deal with that ppc heat. "gently caress those goons in the battletech thread" he curses while clenching the mouse and staring at the overheat warnings, "I can't let them prove me wrong about the gauss rifle!"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you're playing the game with the intention of making it harder for yourself then yeah PPC has an use case over Gauss :shrug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Klyith posted:

should geez maybe someone didn't sit down and read a guide before playing the game to know what builds to go for

or maybe someone got early injuries and so hired up more guys and has been spreading xp around a larger crew instead of sticking to the original 5

good for you

I bet sandwich artist really regrets it every time he takes a desert or martian mission and has to deal with that ppc heat. "gently caress those goons in the battletech thread" he curses while clenching the mouse and staring at the overheat warnings, "I can't let them prove me wrong about the gauss rifle!"

Lol what the gently caress dude.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I've been having a lot of fun with a Gauss Hunchback. I installed one of those purchasable SL tech mods and pretty early in the campaign I found one at a store. I had to basically sell everything I owned that wasn't nailed down to afford it(3.3 mil iirc) but it was so worth it. The gauss, ammo, 2 Mlasers and 4 jumpjets fit nearly perfectly on a hunchback's frame. I think I used the last ton or so on one of those ballistic accuracy computers. It's a great mid-game sniping platform that I usually give to a chainshot/breach pilot. With jets it can usually get an angle on anything on the map and the low heat of the gauss means I can jump just about every turn and even fire the Mlas at something with chainshot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm just baffled people are bothering to argue PPC vs Gauss when the loving AC/5 does exactly what the PPC does but better.

AC5 cant deal 50 stability damage per hit after variants.

I do adore the AC5 in this game. I keep shadowhawks with and without an AC5 in my mechbay. A boring DualAC5+lasers and jets Jager was my sweep up killstealer bot in the early game laughing at firestarters and sudden swarms of thunderbolts alike.

But I'm pretty sure that some people trying to talk poo poo about the PPC, are over correcting so they don't sound like the people pretending to be surprised when their 100+ stability per alpha bots are better at knocking things over than normal robots begging for nerfs instead.

(Now, Large lasers as implemented even with variants? :geno: )

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AtillatheBum posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with a Gauss Hunchback.

The true final form of the Hunchback, when you think about it. The design perfected.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to argue about this poo poo though because I can also totally see why Sandwich Anarchist would rather just bring some AC/20's and throwdown

Also I admire his attempt to make PPCs work, I gave up on the default game and went to modding weapon stats instead

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

How... how dare you.. you... MONSTER!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An AC/5 shot isnt a concentrated lightning bolt. pew pew

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol what the gently caress dude.

sorry
i got mad about videogames

I think I'm gonna head on out of this thread because while I like the game, the conversation has gotten really bad. Now that most people have finished it and have nothing left but arguing about bulwark or gauss or whatever poo poo they think is best and are incredulous that other people do different.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Yeah you're right, 15 is 8; i specifically said I don't fire them both at once unless I need to. And 3xppcs do 150 damage plus stability, have no ammo, and my heatsink setup let's them alpha almost every turn.

It's almost like...other weapons work better for other playstyles? :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Gauss + Twin PPC is mechanically superior in every way to Triple PPC (unless you find a third 50 stab damage PPC, in which case you are merely trading 25 regular damage for 10 stab damage and more heat) while also fulfilling exactly the same role.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

sorry
i got mad about videogames

I think I'm gonna head on out of this thread because while I like the game, the conversation has gotten really bad. Now that most people have finished it and have nothing left but arguing about bulwark or gauss or whatever poo poo they think is best and are incredulous that other people do different.

I believe you're 50% of the people ITT that have been making GBS threads up the conversation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't notice until now that +variants of weapons look a little different. The AC20+++ for example fires a third bullet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Battletech is like the first video game in the universe to work in the idea that AC* is a category of weapon and not a specification. AC20s in the fluff can be a single big shot or a burst fire of smaller shots that add up to the same damage as a big shot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've got an AC/5++ that fires a five shot burst. It makes me happy.

...but not so much that I don't prefer the giant gently caress off lightning bolt of a PPC aesthetically, regardless of what the stats say.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But seriously, is there a way I can change the projectile speed for PPC bolts/Gauss shots? And just those. I feel like they should be at least twice as fast.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Synthbuttrange posted:

An AC/5 shot isnt a concentrated lightning bolt. pew pew

I actually kind of dislike how the PPC looks in this game because it doesn't look much like lightning. Too rounded, not jagged enough.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Xarbala posted:

But seriously, is there a way I can change the projectile speed for PPC bolts/Gauss shots? And just those. I feel like they should be at least twice as fast.

The Gauss visual is one of my only non-technical complaints about this game. It should be an hitscan railgun kinda thing that makes a terrifying noise, not this green nerf dart thing it is now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Gauss visual is one of my only non-technical complaints about this game. It should be an hitscan railgun kinda thing that makes a terrifying noise, not this green nerf dart thing it is now.
While this certainly fits (At the very least give it Quake / Eraser starring Arnold Schwarzenegger afterimage trail), you kind of need a proper visual indicator for snipers. This is why most games give enemy snipers highly obvious laser pointers unless it is a pixel squint hunt tacticool game.

Particularly with how much the game loves to steal the camera than hurl it away from the actual targeted mech after turning off every cimenatic option and slider but melee.

"Okay they are walking up right next to me, there is the warm up sounds for their lasers and-camera what are you doing. There is literally nothing over there."

...But literally only you have the gauss rifle in hindsight. So gently caress YEAH INVISIBLE DEATH there is a legit no problems excuse for having it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 18, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
ripoff WH40k and have Gauss rounds ignite the atmosphere leaving a firey trail in its wake

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kurita space isnt in the game? What in the world are you talking about?

I'm an idiot and constantly mix up Kurita and Liao. Sorry about that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's ok I get Steiner and Davion space mixed up all the time cause drat white people look all the same

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Eej posted:

It's ok I get Steiner and Davion space mixed up all the time cause drat white people look all the same

:same:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Bought decision at thunder rift for a light read on a long flight and the author can't seem to decide if lasers are invisible or colored.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's the real decision

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I like the description of Trellwan stuff though, compared to say the Blood of Kerensky stuff that was more about all the noble blooded people. It really does paint a picture of the mad max type stuff that I never really got out of the other novels that I've read

Edit : is there more of a general btech thread?

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 18, 2018

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I appreciated the game's explanation that the DC aren't all Japanese, but actually just big weebs.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Gauss + Twin PPC is mechanically superior in every way to Triple PPC (unless you find a third 50 stab damage PPC, in which case you are merely trading 25 regular damage for 10 stab damage and more heat) while also fulfilling exactly the same role.

Yeah, I think he is not counting the number of heat sinks he needs to run that set up, because a single PPC already goes up to 40 heat. A mech sinks 30 by default, 50 heat is the threshold before taking internal damage, 100 is shutdown. Firing 2 PPCs without heat sinks hits that threshold (80 - 30 = 50), 3 PPCs mean you are at a whopping 90 heat. Depends on how close to the heat curve you want to run, you still need to run a lot of sinks.

Say I am okay with only alpha striking for a turn without getting internal damage, then I still need 14 heat sinks to sink 72 (42 + 30) in total for a net heat balance of 48 for the second turn. If I want to alpha strike twice without taking internal damage, I need 22 heat sinks (120 - 30 - 66 = 24 net heat for 2 turns, ending up with 48 heat at the start of turn 3).

1. 3 PPCs and 14 heat sinks (35 tons) to do 150 damage for 1 turn before turning down weapon fire
2. 3 PPCs and 22 heat sinks (43 tons) to do that for 2 turns.

Let us go with a theoretical situation of twin gauss to deal the same 150 damage. 2 tons of ammo each for 34 tons total. You can fire them without care for heat for 16 turns until you run out of ammo. That already vastly outdo the same setup of 3 PPCs and supporting heat sinks.

What about the Gauss, PPC, LRM20 setup? Again going with 2 ton of ammo each, that use up 36 tons for 205 damage. Heat build up is (5 + 18 + 40 - 30) = 33. So like case 1, it can only alpha strike once before lowering weapon fire - but as the heat build up is lower, it can fire both Gauss and LRM 20 indefinitely (155 damage) after that.

What about comparison against case 2? We fit in 7 heat sinks so that that it weighs 43 tons too. That means our heat build up is now a measly 12. This lets us alpha strike 4 turns, then switch to alternating turns for alpha strikes.

The only downside is running out of 2 tons of ammo. Which takes... 16 rounds for the Gauss, 12 rounds for the LRM 20 (16 rounds for LRM 15 for 10 less alpha damage). Otherwise, we do more damage, while running cooler, while having a head-capping weapon.

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 18, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Randallteal posted:

I appreciated the game's explanation that the DC aren't all Japanese, but actually just big weebs.

Minobu Tetsuhara, one of the most genuinely honorable people in the BTverse

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Minobu Tetsuhara, one of the most genuinely honorable people in the BTverse

quote:

For Minobu Tetsuhara, this meant being relieved of his command, and denied the right to pilot a BattleMech forthwith. Subsequently, his younger brother Fuhito Tetsuhara was trained on and eventually received Katana Kat, the family Panther.

lmaooooooo at the name of the family mech and that the family mech was a loving Panther.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 18, 2018

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I love how future combat games always have swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
While you were mastering the neurohelmet I mastered the ways of the sword