Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Start wearing the ICP makeup and listening to the music and calling him "ninja". He will either grow to hate it because of you, or you will bond over your new found common interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

girl pants posted:

No

Me [42 M] with my Son "roger" [16 M] , has started wearing facepaint anytime he goes out and has started hanging out with a girl that is a bad influence.

Clown pussy will imprison you

He should just show the wife the video of the girl at whatever the Juggalo music festival is called who is obviously on something with all the dudes lined up to bang her. Someone filmed for quite a while. It grossed me out and I'm sure the mom would also find it distasteful.

I was kind of hoping this one would end with the OP torpedoing his marriage due to his reawakened cocaine addiction. "So I had to taste it just to be sure. It definitely tasted like cocaine, as I remember it, but lots of things can taste like cocaine. So I scooped out just a tiny bump, rolled up a dollar bill, and snorted it. I couldn't quite tell of the buzz I got from it was cokelike..." Etc, etc.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

girl pants posted:

No

Me [42 M] with my Son "roger" [16 M] , has started wearing facepaint anytime he goes out and has started hanging out with a girl that is a bad influence.

I think it would have been better to hit the kid rather than involve the police.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Last week someone messaged me on reddit, saying he’d seen my posts on r/relationships and would really like my input on his story and the updates that had happened since. This was his post:

quote:

How to take things to next level with older woman? (self.dating_advice)
submitted 1 year ago *
Hi reddit! First post in this sub.

She's early 50's and I am early 20's. I know some people might think this is weird, and not worth the effort and time, and that's ok, all I am interested in is to seal the deal.

We are coworkers, and she is pretty much my superior(boss, kinda). She has always been very kind to me, sometimes acting like a sugar momma buying stuffand all, but she could also be very teaseful and she always found a way to touch me(stuff from hi fives and fist bumps to just laying her head on my shoulders, playfully hitting me, feeling out my arms, stepping on toes). I also don't want to get too specific, but let's say these are mixed signals. Sometimes I think she treats me like her son, but sometimes I think not. She is definitely a tease and kinky, and doesn't act like this with everyone.

She is single, no husband, no kids. I am also single and want to take things to the next level(she is probably the hottest 50+ I have ever seen),also I might look more mature and more developed than an average 20 something.

I was leaving for a different state, and she decided to give me a ride to the airport. It was a last minute thing, she even did her hair before picking me up. It was a 4-5 hour drive, and we arrived after midnight, and my flight was in the morning-noon next day. She decided to rent out a hotel room(!). Keep in mind that I was shocked, earlier that day I had no idea how will I get to the airport and I was 100% sure that I was gonna spend the night at the airport, like I did before. So when she told me about her idea of spending the night at a hotel, I was shocked. I was asking stupid things, like if she wants to sleep in the same room, and same bed and whatnot. She saw right away that I was kinda terrified by this, she even commented something along the lines 'are you afraid of me', so she ended up booking a 'suite' with 2 beds. I am not sure if her initial intention was to just go with a single bed, but even if that's the case, my reaction changed her mind. So after we arrive, she made herself feel really at home, changing in PJs and laying on top of her bed watching a movie or whatnot. She was clearly comfortable with me. Another interesting thing that happened is that she sent me to grab a beer at the bar. Or more like, she encouraged me to go have a beer. I did go outside but decided to just take a walk in the park nearby. When I got back like 10-20 minutes later she was still up, watching TV. Keep in mind it was well past midnight, and we had to depart early in the morning. I just went to bed. Next morning we parted and that's it.

This was almost 2 months ago. Haven't seen her since, I am in a different state now but I will go back soon. I really want to ramp things up, but I am going insane trying to figure out if she is really interested or just shows motherly love.

There is nothing I want now more than to take things to the next level. I need some legit advice here, am I reading too much into these 'signals' or do I stand a chance? And more importantly, if I indeed stand a chance, how should I take things to the next level?

I am almost bipolar/OCD/i don't even know, but sometimes I think I am reading WAY too muuch into this, and sometimes I think I am the biggest idiot who doesn't see the signs even if they hit him in the face.

UPDATE: after we parted she added me on facebook. We have been in touch thanks to her breaking the ice messaging me, and she would get surprisingly flirty. I shot her a message recently, basically complimenting her(looking great etc) and letting her know she's been on my mind lately. Her reaction: 'I hope you know we're just friends, and I am also your boss, remember that ok?'. I am mind hosed really, literally everybody here told me she was definitely interested and I trust their advice, although I know this is only one side of the story but I tried to stay completely unbiased and present only the facts(basically everything I said in the OP really happened). So she was never interested at all and just friendly, or am I missing something and she changed her mentality and attitude about me for some reason(the hotel maybe)? I will be back in town soon by the way to work with her again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

therobit posted:

I think it would have been better to hit the kid rather than involve the police.

The dad sounds extremely white. There was probably less than a 10% chance of the kid being shot and killed.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

girl pants posted:

No

Wife spineless so what

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boner confessor posted:

lmao that his wife has a designated hangover day, and it's a weekday

here's my tentative defense of this: i have tuesday and wednesday off and work the rest of the week, so monday night is my friday night and tuesday is my day to recover

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Lone Badger posted:

The dad sounds extremely white. There was probably less than a 10% chance of the kid being shot and killed.

Having a record is way worse for a white person though.

Edit: I mean worse than getting shot, not that it is worse for s white person than for a person of color.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ParserGirl posted:

Last week someone messaged me on reddit, saying he’d seen my posts on r/relationships and would really like my input on his story and the updates that had happened since. This was his post:

I like how she sent him to get some liquid courage and he still didn't have the balls to bang her in the hotel room she rented for purpose of banging him.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ParserGirl posted:

This dude will never have sex.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
My brother [35] and his opinion of our family Christmas

quote:

u/rawr_thar_throwaway

In October, my family begins planning Christmas. We are not a religious family, but the holiday has been important for spending time together, especially since me [31] and my siblings Ryan [35] and Owen [37] have all moved out. (names changed) Ryan has also moved to the other coast of the country, so on the years he doesn't fly back, we Skype with him on Christmas morning.

It was agreed about 11 years ago that buying everyone a present was expensive and difficult, so we switched to doing Secret Santa gift exchanges. Each year is based around a theme, so it is fun and humorous planning the gifts. Last year was Camo themed, and that resulted in a lot of creative gifts, like a homemade fleece see-flap-flap backpack in blue camo print or a selection of HQ hobby paints in camo colors. Both were very appropriate gifts for the recipient.

This week, my mother [60s] send out the planning email for us to vote on what theme. This year, my brother Ryan and his SO will be flying in for Christmas. This is the email she sent out to all of us:

Dear All –

It’s time to start thinking about a theme for the Secret Santa this year. Here are some ideas we had left over from previous years –

Pop Culture: Everyone chooses a present that reflects a part of today's pop culture.

Go Green: Gifts exchanged can be organic, made from recyclable materials or eco-friendly.

Big Box Store: Where gifts can be anything that came from a Big Box Store like Home Depot, Sears or Costco.

Entertainment Everything: like books, movies, board games, CDs, movie tickets, bowling passes, pass to ski hill, etc.

Or maybe we would like to recycle some old themes –

To Market, To Market: must be purchased at Farmers’ Market or Craft market

Everything Old is New Again: to be purchased from antique market or thrift shop

Some Assembly Required: it is what it says

You are also welcome to add new ones. Please send in your suggestions by October 15th.

I’ll send out the completed list after that & we can vote on the theme.

Love, Mom

My brother Ryan was the first to respond:

Macaroni art - truly the most advanced art form of the human race, invented in the 1960s by a desperate school teacher trying to calm down an unruly class, this neo-primitivist medium has captured the hearts and imaginations of billions ever since. The innate symbolism of dormant starches is a perfect metaphor for our transient nature on this Earth. All beauty exists only where it can be perceived by another human, and its frailty through exposure to the elements is inevitable. Eating the tasty origin of this art instead of covering it in glue and paper is the alternative perspective - does one dive in and appreciate the eating of life, or does one merely admire all the things it purports to be?

Is it the stuff that makes us happy? Its presence? Its use? Or the idea of it? Macaroni is best enjoyed at a table full of loved ones.

BRB sending this off for an art grant :P

I was upset by this reply because it felt like he was ridiculing the discussion and our family, but fine. I suppose he was trying to be funny, and his sense of humor wasn't appropriate and I just brushed it off.

No one else replied to the email chain. Then Ryan sent a follow up email 2 days later:

Cheeky joking around aside, I'm not overly excited by 'stuff' at the moment. Things that offer an experience and consumables seem to be safer bets when everyone individually pursues their wants. Being with family, building memories, and exposure to art in various mediums is of higher perceived value to me.

So yeah, if I could choose what I'd receive it would be book(s) from my amazon wishlists, but that does take a bit of the fun out of the searching process (or the begetting of sea flap flaps ;)

There's always Christmas eve draw for the silly things.

Buuuuut, these are just my opinions. I'm happy with what optimizes overall happiness. And I would only strongly object against Pop Culture as a theme, because I'm sure it's not hard to agree what a train wreck that is right now... ah well, at least there's no lead in the aqueducts.

hugs hugs see you soon

I am incredibly hurt by his email. He dismisses the whole value of our families focus on the holiday of spending time together, going for hikes, playing games, eating around the table together. We take pictures and the Secret Santa creates laughs & memories.

We often choose eco-conscious themes that have suited his ideals. The one year we did an Art piece theme, he openly mocked the gift he ended with. His high-and-mighty dismissal of that felt like a jab at our interests. Pop Culture includes books, and movies, and music and everything, so all media is a train wreck unless it's indie or underground?

All he had to say was, "whoever picks me, here is my amazon wishlist that I would like something from." Instead, he insults, dismisses, openly mocks, devalues, acts morally superior, and actively malicious.

This isn't the first time he has been like this. He is what I describe as hippie nouveau. He lives in an art house, currently makes music as a dj though not enough for income, and wants a job where he can change the world for the better but also won't take any position less than that. As a result, he has been effectively unemployed for more than 4 years. Ryan oftens reaches out to my husband and I for advice, but either disregards it or makes us feel bad for providing it or becomes confrontational when he doesn't agree. In recent discussions with my parents and Owen, I have found he has been treating all of us the same.

I am done treating his behavior as acceptable. I have always tried to be supportive and excited for him, but how can I do that when he shows so little respect to the rest of us? What do I do?

tl;dr: Brother's response to our annual Christmas pre-planning was hurtful and malicious. This is a normal style response from him and I don't know how to talk to him about it.

GAWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDD.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
kick his rear end

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
then kick your own rear end as well for trying to find common ground with him and having not previously kicked his rear end

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

girl pants posted:

GAWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDD.

Uh sounds like he was going out of his way not to be hurtful and said that he just enjoys spending time with them? What crawled up her rear end and died?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Uh sounds like he was going out of his way not to be hurtful and said that he just enjoys spending time with them? What crawled up her rear end and died?

She's a wet blanket tragically given human form

Seriously he says "I value family time more than gifts" and her response is "he's making GBS threads on family time!!!!!!!" like bitch what

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

girl pants posted:

GAWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDD.

quote:

Buuuuut, these are just my opinions. I'm happy with what optimizes overall happiness. And I would only strongly object against Pop Culture as a theme, because I'm sure it's not hard to agree what a train wreck that is right now... ah well, at least there's no lead in the aqueducts.

If any of my family sent me an email like this I'd mail them a bag of poo poo.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
If he wants experience and consumables, I will recommend the ultimate gift which I have recommended before probably in this very thread: Hickory Farms Gift Pack. He gets to consume all that cheese and then gets the experience of pooping out all that cheese.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

On one hand I agree with him: Gifts are acts of aggression and have no place at family gatherings. On the other hand he writes like a chode so he deserves gifts, bad ones.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

SpazmasterX posted:

Have you considered they may be joking

I was joking about being proud of myself because I’m not a spineless sack of Smuckers grape jelly, but everything else is true. It actually was a bottle of A&W root beer. I explained to him that it was a soda and had no actual alcohol content. In a thick Indian accent: I am very sorry sir, but it says beer on the bottle, and I cannot in good conscience sell this to you while you are driving, and it being a Sunday before eleven it will be illegal for me to sell this to you, I am very sorry.

I had to bring him to the cooler and show him that it was among the sodas and not the alcoholic beverages. Texas!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

My (m/25) best friend of 14 years (m/25) confessed to loving my wife of three years (f/24) when we were drinking. Can we still be friends? Am I wrong to be angry?
Posted byu/bestfriendenemy
5 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/13pd1f/my_m25_best_friend_of_14_years_m25_confessed_to/

quote:

My buddy and I met when we were 11 and we've been best friends ever since. He's only been surpassed by my wife, who I met in college and kind of filled the gap that I got from him going to cc for the first few years. I always hear that old trope about wives hating their husbands' friends and laugh, we all enjoy each other's company so much. She invites him over all the time and never minds if he interrupts a date night even.

They even gang up on me sometimes. Like about paint colors and what to grab for dinner or what a movie means. He even took her side and said that Eden could be a boy's middle name (we're having a baby in six months!). Some guys might be bothered by the fact that when her mom died she talked to him about it more than me or they talk about books all the time I don't read and movies I don't watch, but I am really secure.

Until tonight. He's crashing at our place cause of too many beers and it's thanksgiving, so he'll be here anyways. And he says, in that drunk honest way he has, that he envies me. Beautiful wife, great house, and a baby on the way.

I laugh and tell him he makes 6 figures and is 6'2''- he can have what I have anytime he wants it. He just needs to meet a girl and get it. I tease that he doesn't want to give up his freedom.

He shakes his head, no I want what -you- have. I'm so happy you have this, but you found the only girl I would ever want this with. It kills me. I love you both so damned much.

I ask if he loves my wife.

He says "with everything I have, she's my soulmate. I knew when I first met her. If I had met her first... " Then he just gets up and goes to the guestroom.

I don't know how to process this. I feel..uncomfortable. Suddenly so much of what he says makes sense. He even tried to talk me out my wedding when I had cold feet. I don't know what to do. He's my best friend. I don't think he would cheat me, or that my wife would either, but still he's sleeping a room away from my wife right now, either way I resolve not to ruin the holiday.

THANKSGIVING This morning I woke up and they were both already up, cleaning and cooking. Best friend, let's call him Jason because that's his name, is being overly friendly and not meeting my eyes at the same time. Hannah is singing along to bon jovi, it's all normal.

Anyways, the guests start to arrive, a little early. I end up watching some tv with my dad and kid brother. Jason, Hannah, my wife, and an aunt are getting everything ready. All of a sudden I feel uncomfortable about him helping while I'm not. I go to the kitchen.

My mom tells me they went to get table settings from the junk room. We bought this mammoth of a house and it's on the opposite side, I get outside the door and her this:

Hannah, in the middle of a rant,:all got here so early, I know they're just trying to look over my shoulder. And I hate that. blah, blah, blah, blah, on, on.

Jason: I drunk too much last night

Hannah, laughs: I noticed. Is that why it's taking you so long to get that box down?

Jason: No, I'm just trying to figure out how to say this. (pause) I told Alex I love you last night.. I wish I hadn't, but I did.

Hannah: You know you don't love me, I have a horrible temper and always misplace my things, you just haven't met the right girl. You will and you'll forget all about me- then I won't have anyone to talk about Madmen with or to make read the books I've read. It will break my heart a little.

Jason: You always say that. And I've tried so damned hard to forget you. [It sounds like he's crying] I've slept with so many girls, I even bought a ring, but they weren't you. I wish I could forget you. [comforting sounds, shh, shh] Jason: Could you have ever loved me?

Hannah:Your my best friend. I adore you.

Jason: No, as a man. In another universe, if you had met me first, would you have loved me?

(long pause) Hannah: I would have been crazy about you

They go on and talk about what he said last night, no I didn't tell Hannah. Yes, it will be okay. Nothing will change. He just drunk too much. Nothing is going to happen so it doesn't matter anyways. They finally actually grab the candles and decorations and I scatter before they see me.

I feel like an idiot.. my wife knew. Not only that they had talks about it. She would have loved him. I don't even care if it's true, why would she say it? It's been a day but we have some out of town guests staying and I don't want to bring up personal drama with them here. They are leaving tomorrow, thank god. My best friend seems to content to act like it never happened, but has been sure to never be alone with me.

I feel a little angry a lot hurt but most confused. This guy is my brother. But she's my wife and it makes me super uncomfortable he has romantic ideas about her. I can't even process it. What should I do?

tl;dr My (m/25) best friend of 14 years (m/25) confessed to loving my wife of three years (f/24) when we were drinking. We have all always been close. He says he would never act on it, but it kills him. The next day it's thanksgiving and we have a household full of people, so I hold steady. I hear them have an intimate conversation and she obviously knows he loves her. Tomorrow I will finally have an empty house and a chance to deal. How should I approach this? Can we still be friends? Am I wrong to be angry?

UPDATE: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/13ux0y/updatemy_m25_best_friend_of_14_years_m25/

quote:

I finally confronted them. I decided to not do one-on-ones, but just get it all on the open. After my last relative left I texted Jason "leftovers and xmas movies at my place" and he came right over.

And I said, "Jas told me he loves you, Hannah. And then on Thanksgiving I heard you guys talking in the spare room- I know you know how he feels and that makes me not know know how to feel"

They both argued that nothing needed to change. Hannah was Jason's most adamant defender. "He's our best friend- he would never put me in that situation or hurt you. Why are you letting one conversation change the way you see him?"

For some reason this just made me angry. I wanted her to apologize and stand next to me instead of staying on the couch and going to bat for him. So I lost my temper. And he didn't- he kept calmly repeating the same phrase over and over again "I'm not out to seduce your wife 'lex. I respect marriage."

Eventually I burst out, "If you respect marriage so god damned much how come you tried to talk me out of it when we were standing at the loving alter?" My wife looked displeased, either with him for doing that or me for cursing.

Jason: I did that because I take marriage seriously. We were 22 and barely out of college and you said you didn't know why you proposed, that you felt pressured because she was out-of-your-league, but you didn't know whether you really loved her or whether you just really liked her. -I- was madly in love with her and you just thought she was swell. I was trying to do us all a favor! But when you went through with it, I toasted your marriage and said you two were meant to be. I danced with your wife and didn't let myself wish she was mine for one moment. Because I'm your best friend and now you throw this in my face.

And I didn't have much to say. Hannah was in tears and I just felt.. drained. He hugged my wife and said that he was going, that he wasn't go to sit and here and defend a decade of friendship and loyalty.

And me and my wife managed to say very little at all. Eventually we talked the next day. I told her how much I loved her and that I just had cold feet THREE years ago. I then asked if she could slow down on her friendship with him, no hour-long phone calls or walks at lunch. She agreed.

I know they went to church together Sunday. It bothered me, but I know I can't just order her around. But maybe selfishly because I am an atheist and would rather pull teeth than go sit in a pew on football's day.

Things are still tense between us and me and Jason aren't talking yet. I hope that it isn't always going to feel this way.

tl;dr Sat down with them, had a talk- Jason and wife banded together. Pissed me off, which pissed Jason off who brought up me saying I wasn't sure I loved my wife before the wedding and then left. We still aren't talking. My wife is adding boundaries to their friendship. I hope it gets better.

Oh brother, there's no coming back from this. He should go. Maybe he can come back in a few years, but you'll always be wondering if and when your wife and him are going to make sweet tender gently caress.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

value-brand cereal posted:

My (m/25) best friend of 14 years (m/25) confessed to loving my wife of three years (f/24) when we were drinking. Can we still be friends? Am I wrong to be angry?
Posted byu/bestfriendenemy
5 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/13pd1f/my_m25_best_friend_of_14_years_m25_confessed_to/

UPDATE: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/13ux0y/updatemy_m25_best_friend_of_14_years_m25/

Oh brother, there's no coming back from this. He should go. Maybe he can come back in a few years, but you'll always be wondering if and when your wife and him are going to make sweet tender gently caress.

Yeah that’s absolutely immediate divorce, wish them both a happy life, and move to another state. Preferably another country or continent.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I (40F) have been with my husband (39M) for 14 years even though both of us have other relationships on the side. Its been a secret to both my parents and our kids (13, 11, 8), but we want to tell them. How do we do this?

quote:

One night, I hosed my friend Josh when we both came back from a party. It was entirely casual, we had done it before plenty of times... but he got me pregnant, and originally I was going to get rid of the baby. But as time went on, me and him sort of realized we would be kind of the perfect match as parents, and so we decided to just keep the baby. I wouldn't quite describe what I had with him was love at all. We were good friends since middle school, practically best friends. We married because we knew we were compatible, even if we weren't exactly in love. We were both successful, we both got along great, it just sort of made sense at the time to marry my best friend and not have any strings attached. I loved him in a... different way. Like best friend love. We were never really very romantic with each other.

And honestly, it worked for both of us, very well. We still saw other people and fooled around a lot, but we always came back to each other and there were no strings attached. Hell, I had a sort-of-relationship with a guy for a year and he became good friends with my husband. Me and my husband often joke around about other people we sleep with. We still have sex with each other, pretty often, but its never serious and is typically just for fun. I very much enjoy his company, but again, its way more like friends than a real marriage.

The thing is though, we never told anyone about the weirdness of our marriage. My parents are religious, and obviously they would not like the idea of me marrying a guy and loving other men as well. Just the idea of marrying a 'friend' and not a lover is taboo to them. My kids don't really know either. Our oldest, Jessica, asked us how we got married and what falling in love was like and we kind of just stumbled about the answer.

So we have both decided that we are gonna sort of come out about our relationship and the origins of it and such to our kids and my parents. Its just too much of a secret to hold onto. I mean honestly, I thought our oldest already sort of knew, or at least had suspicions, but apparently not. But we both have doubts about telling people. I mean, technically its more of just an open relationship right? But really its more like two best friends who decided to get married despite not loving each other, which I suppose is different?

So how do we go about this?

TLDR - - Me and my husband got married in a sort of best-friend pact to raise our kids. We didn't marry out of love, and we still both search for different people relationship wise and sleep with other people. My parents and our kids have zero idea.

an... open relationship success story? :raise:

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Reddit posted:

I've thought about this situation and you need to think of this as playing chess, as other have compared it to. Jason has been manipulating both you and your wife, and your wife sure as poo poo isn't blameless either.

I was down voted to hell with my initial advice, but I was right on the money. I am prepared for the down votes with this advice. I really should make a new account with the name Cassandra in it. In Greek mythology she was cursed with foresight by Apollo, but nobody believed her warnings until it was too late.

You still need to read the riot act with your wife if you haven't already. From my original advice:
Sit your wife down in private first and give her the riot act. You should not to scream and shout but you can definitely be justifiably angry at her. Tell her exactly what you heard, tell her how absolutely disappointed you are with the both of them, how disappointed you are with her that she never told you about how this relationship between the two of them has gone from a friendship to an emotional affair, how you want marriage counseling NOW, and for her to cut off the "friendship" ASAP. She will have absolutely no contact with him - no e-mails, no texts, no Facebook, no telephone, NOTHING. You will do the same with your "best friend" - no e-mails, no text, no Facebook, no telephone, NOTHING. You will watch her block him from everything she has to contact him with. Let her watch you block him from everything you have to contact him with. If Part 1 doesn't work because your wife refuses to do it, at least you have said your piece. NOW here is where the chess game begins.

Call the pastor(s) of her and Jason's church ASAP and tell them what is going on. Be calm and respectful. Yes, you are an atheist, but that doesn't mean you can't use the Christian Bible against both Hannah and Jason, with the help of the pastor. Don't even talk about being an atheist, just let the pastor think you relapsed and might be able to be converted.
Explain to the pastor that they are having an emotional affair and that you and Hannah desperately need marriage counseling. Many pastors will do this, plus the pastor might be more than usually willing to do this because he wants to convert you. Let him think this, don't ever argue with the pastor over what the Bible says, you need this person behind you. Man up and start going to church counseling with your wife via the pastor. What is your wife going to do, say no? She'll go to church with Jason but not marriage counseling via the pastor with you? Guilt/press that upon her. It's also her pastor who hopefully has a ton of influence on her and can also pressure her to go into marriage counseling with you. Let the pastor start quoting Biblical versus at her, like don't covet another man's wife and all that jazz. It's a win-win for you. She will either take what the pastor says as gold in the counseling, or she will argue with him, making her look like quite the sinner in front of the pastor. Pastors don't play games when they get on a righteous streak.

Start going to church with your wife. Grin and loving bear it because your marriage is on the line here. What is your important to you, your football game or your marriage? If Jason is there, you both ignore him and don't sit anywhere near him. If your wife or Jason tries to go anywhere near each other, you block them. If you have to make a scene, do it. Your marriage is on the line. The pastor knows what's going on, and if you've been smart enough to get the pastor on your side, he'll help you handle it.

Start finding out who your true friends and relatives are. Tell your family what's going on, tell her family what's going on, tell your friends, tell her friends. It's debatable whether to tell Jason's friends and family - I'll let you decide what your gut says about it. How much you want to tell people is up to you, but play the pity card for all it's worth. Get these people behind you. If they are true friends and good relatives, they don't want to see your marriage crumble. You can always say something like,"Hannah and I are having some bumps in our marriage and she has gotten too close to Jason. I am afraid that if they get any closer, she will leave me for him. I ask that you let me know if she and Jason are having contact because it's not healthy in our marriage right now for either one of us to have contact with him. We are seeing (a marriage counselor / the pastor as a marriage counselor.) Thank for the help, I really want to save my marriage." These friends and relatives may or may not do this for you, but there is a good chance they will guilt trip the crap out of Hannah if she tries to contact Jason in any sort of way around them. You are also going to find out who already knows about their emotional affair. I will bet money most everyone around you already knows what is going on but you. I will also bet that there will be some friends and relatives who think Jason and Hannah should be married instead of you and Hannah. Knowledge is power and you need to know who is going to help you or help Hannah and Jason try to sabotage your marriage further.

Still go see a clinical marriage counselor with her. Go see a therapist by yourself. You need start filling whatever emotional void that Jason manipulated your wife to use him for. A therapist and a clinical marriage counselor will help you and Hannah figure this out.

This is all I have for right now. When I think of some more chess maneuvers, I'll edit this post. I have some other ideas, but they are the nuclear option and not appropriate (at this time.)

Holy gently caress, some of the comments in that one are nuts. A lot of :biotruths: about women.

Also the amount of times this guy is just flippantly assholish about her beliefs is hilarious. Yeah, that'll help your marriage last.

OP posted:

That's just not me. Either she is going to want to work it out or she's not- I think she is working with me and that pleases me. But I'm not going to call everyone we both know aside and get them to spy or keep tabs on my wife. I'm not going to go to church with her and I'm not going to try and turn her shaman against her. I'm not going to play the 'pity card'.

If someone wants to have an affair they will. I'm not going to manipulate my wife or try and win some loving game. Yes, we may do counseling. But it isn't going to be a game.

I'm not saying your advice is bad persay, just that to me, if I'm going to lose my integrity and self-respect to browbeat and emotionally manipulate my wife into a marriage I'd rather be single.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Anony Mouse posted:

I (40F) have been with my husband (39M) for 14 years even though both of us have other relationships on the side. Its been a secret to both my parents and our kids (13, 11, 8), but we want to tell them. How do we do this?

Nah not really, its gonna blow up if they tell.

"Mom and dad was never in love, it was just convenient, and we gently caress other people" is not gonna go well with the kids and their parentes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Anony Mouse posted:

datajugend posted:

"Mom and dad was never in love, it was just convenient, and we gently caress other people" is not gonna go well with the kids and their parentes.

yeah this definitely reads as them both being so bored with their stable relationship that they want to introduce unnecessary drama for fun

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Me [42 M] with my Son "roger" [16 M] , has started wearing facepaint anytime he goes out

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
It’s even funnier to me that ICP are definitely older than 42. I don’t now how you could have completely missed that scene growing up in that era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A ton of ICP's fans are poor people, iirc.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Anony Mouse posted:

Why in the gently caress would you ever tell your family that you have a open marriage of convenience? Maybe they have a melodrama fetish.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

datajugend posted:

As opposed to the usual system where mom and dad were never in love, it was just convenient, and they (probably) don't gently caress other people.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

yeah this definitely reads as them both being so bored with their stable relationship that they want to introduce unnecessary drama for fun

Yeah, at the point they're knowingly dropping drama bombshells on their kids and extended family for no drat reason it makes me wonder if they're bored and looking to shake things up.

Anyways, it reads like the beginning to a "my partner started seeing somebody new last month and I'm stuck taking care of our kids and never see them anymore" story. They seem to love the kids - but not be especially attached to each other or willing to place the kids wants/needs over their own.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

tag yourself

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
[PA] Got fired, now employer is demanding passwords to unlock files on work PC.

quote:

I kept my work in locked archives on my desktop for numerous reasons, one being that our network was configured in a way that gave every employee access to every desktop. Anyone could add, remove or modify any of your files at any time if they wanted to.

My employer fired me without any notice and realized (days later) that they don't have access to any of my work. I have offered to unlock any work-related archives if they give them to me on a USB drive, but they're demanding the passwords. I think they just want to be able to dig through EVERYTHING on my PC so they can try to find some dirt on me or my (former) co-workers. Also, my passwords are my passwords and I don't feel like changing all my personal account passwords just so these assholes can go on a fishing expedition.

Do I need to cooperate with them at all?

Read the thread where the OP belligerently tells the dozens of posters who tell him he's in the wrong that they are idiots and he won't back down.

I hope he gets sued.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Holy gently caress, some of the comments in that one are nuts. A lot of :biotruths: about women.

Also the amount of times this guy is just flippantly assholish about her beliefs is hilarious. Yeah, that'll help your marriage last.

holy poo poo, I hate the first poster you quoted. I hate him so much.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

quote:

You need start filling whatever emotional void that Jason manipulated your wife to use him for.

Hahaha when even the commentors are in denial

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

La Brea Carpet posted:

[PA] Got fired, now employer is demanding passwords to unlock files on work PC.

Read the thread where the OP belligerently tells the dozens of posters who tell him he's in the wrong that they are idiots and he won't back down.

I hope he gets sued.

I'm kinda on the fence. On one hand OP is the pinnacle of rear end and bad decisions, on the other hand if you fire someone and then turn around and ask or demand something of them you should be fine receiving a "no". Especially if you've marched them out of your building which is apparently A Thing in america.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

girl pants posted:

I kind of want to turn his bullshit rant into a mad-lib.

What was he right about in his first post that got downvoted? It doesn't sound like there have been any updates yet for him to have made any predictions, correct or otherwise. That's right. I'm nitpicking his Cassandra joke. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

girl pants posted:

I am imagining everyone in this story as the robots from the Star Wars prequels.

If I had any skill with photoshop I'd make a robot with juggalo facepaint.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Boiled Water posted:

I'm kinda on the fence. On one hand OP is the pinnacle of rear end and bad decisions, on the other hand if you fire someone and then turn around and ask or demand something of them you should be fine receiving a "no". Especially if you've marched them out of your building which is apparently A Thing in america.

Sounds like they didn't find his leet filez storage until they went to scrub his desktop as nobody else had password protected drives.

Also, for the love of god, use different passwords on work computers than on personal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd honestly probably let my son wear juggalo paint to macaroni grill. It's not like some exclusive ritzy place, it's an Italian outback steakhouse. It's the Five Guys Burgers and Fries to Olive Garden's McDonalds.

I'd just have a talk with him about the things you enjoy and the things you consume shouldn't define your entire life.