Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jaegerx posted:

Are the touchpads that bad when you don’t use Apple?

Uhhhh, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sheep posted:

Hell yes this. Companies are the biggest robbers in our nation and you're an rear end in a top hat if you enable it, especially in a highly skilled, high demand field such as IT.

I agree with this.

Everyone quit and become hourly independent consultants. gently caress the man

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sepist posted:

I agree with this.

Everyone quit and become hourly independent consultants. gently caress the man

gently caress yeah. Let’s all get boat money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seriously. Why would I voluntarily use a touch pad when something like this exists. https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Arc-Touch-Mouse-Surface/dp/B00FG7MZP0

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wtf is that ^

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It comes back when you throw it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The touch pad is literally what made me switch to Mac in the first place. After using clit mice and stamp sized touch pads thrown on as an afterthought on every PC laptop, using the touch pad on a MacBook for the first time was like having the heavens open and choirs of angels descending from above.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only thing I can't get on with touchpads for is stuff like Visio, other than that it's all good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jaegerx posted:

I’ve only had macs since the iBook g4 at least laptop wise. My desktops were always windows but that’s for games. I just can’t imagine that people are lagging this far behind on touchpad tech. I think ibm sent me a laptop with a loving nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

That stupid nipple is on HP laptops too. I think maybe as many as 10% of 14,000 people on campus have realized it's not just a cosmetic feature. About that proportion who noticed them has ever used them. Or noticed the second set of "mouse" buttons. In well over 3 years in hardware repair I don't think we've ever gotten a ticket to repair just the pointing stick.

Back in December I replaced a keyboard for someone who had spilled coffee on their laptop. The way our processes work is, I ordered the keyboard non-warranty and then recycled the damaged keyboard. Following best practices I disconnected all the cables from the logic board and they all went in the bins. The new keyboard shows up a few days later.

On this model, the main keyboard cable, and the backlight cable, are integral to the keyboard. The pointing stick cable comes in a plastic bag packed in with the keyboard on all 6 keyboards we ever order. We have to connect it at both ends since we always disconnect the cable

I get the replacement keyboard. There's no pointing stick cable. Electronic recycling got picked up yesterday, so I can't just grab the probably still good cable from the old keyboard. Odds are, nobody will notice if the pointing stick doesn't work.

I click the DOA button on the order for the new keyboard, slap a note on it and tuck it aside. I don't give a poo poo, HP and Apple have both sent me repair parts in worse condition. Days pass.

The replacement for the DOA keyboard shows up. It is also missing the pointing stick cable. I complain. We escalate. The escalation group wants pictures of the keyboard I received, the part label on the packaging, and the missing part. <click> <click> <wait, what ?>

Pleas that I am not able to provide pictures of the part that I did not receive fell on deaf ears. We go round again and I get another keyboard about a week later. No pointing stick cable.

I reply to the email asking for pictures for my report that "no, you hosed up again". I explain that 5/6 keyboards we order have that cable packed in. I even provide pictures of the equivalent cable from a different keyboard. With a different part number. Which proved to delay things some.

At this point the factory in China is in the loop. When they saw the "we ordered a part number from family A and didn't get the packed-in X-family part that is included with every other family A part", they complained that we'd ordered an A1 part number and were now talking about an A2 part. So much for showing what the missing part looked like.

Cue many more repetitions.

This ended up taking over 100 days, starting in December. We actually used some of those keyboards. The rest should be returned for a credit. It's been almost six weeks and we still don't have RMAs for the ones we got charged for and can return. I need the shelf space you bastards; let me return them or put them in the parts room.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The touch pad is the only good thing about using a mac

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

The touch pad is the only good thing about using a mac

I’m sorry you’re scared of UNIX operating systems.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm not scared. I've used a mac every day for work for like 2 years now and I still don't like the mac parts of a mac. Things like dealing with macports/homebrew, not being able to just use linux binaries, I still don't know how to use the Finder and I'll just use find instead. But the gnu version that I had to install because bsd coreutils are worse in every way.

Its irritating that a lot of the networking CLI commands are totally different from linux ones too.

Also docker for mac suuuucks

And 16gb of ram limit

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 18, 2018

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I prefer the ibm nipple.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I made the mistake of buying a HP laptop about 7 years ago. Within 3 months one of the rubber/plastic feet falls off. It's still under warranty and an obvious defect so I contact their support. Nope, wear and tear SORRY. Fine, I contact their CEO (I guess the one who got fired for sleeping around). That gets to their 'Presidential Escalations'. They send me a replacement part but it's the bottom half of the case instead of just one little rubber foot. But the bottom of the case has two parts and this isn't the part with the foot I'm missing (yes, they have two different styles of rubber feet on one laptop). We go back and forth, they send another wrong part. Turns out they don't have any way of replacing that piece. Like it doesn't exist in any inventory or database and this is a new laptop that's still being sold. They finally stop responding to my emails.

And yes, I got some tacky silicon and made my own, but it wasn't as good as the factory OEM. Fortunately it was a HP so it died after two years and I never had to deal with it again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

adorai posted:

I prefer the ibm nipple.

it is good

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HP laptops have come a long way. Our new 840 G5's are pretty slick.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I watched two mutual friends argue Mac vs. Windows suitability for development and the whole affair lasted an hour.

I prefer Windows myself, but that's because I'm used to the OS and it does what I need it to do. I have a problem with end users here where everybody wants to pay premium for a Mac yet they could have their needs served with a cheaper Windows alternative. I get that there's applications for Mac, but does it really make sense spending $2500 for a Macbook Pro just for Excel use?

gently caress what do I care, it's not my money.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vargatron posted:

I watched two mutual friends argue Mac vs. Windows suitability for development and the whole affair lasted an hour.

I prefer Windows myself, but that's because I'm used to the OS and it does what I need it to do. I have a problem with end users here where everybody wants to pay premium for a Mac yet they could have their needs served with a cheaper Windows alternative. I get that there's applications for Mac, but does it really make sense spending $2500 for a Macbook Pro just for Excel use?

gently caress what do I care, it's not my money.

It's easier to squeeze extra productivity hours out of happy employees. If an extra $1000 on their laptop stops them from bitching for 5 minutes every day, it's not long before that $1000 is recovered.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like Android versus iOS, a lot is what you started on and where on the scale of love/hate you resided. I don't mind Windows, but I was using Mac OS before Windows 3.1 so the system seems more intuitive. I also like the quality of the software; MacOS always seemed to have more useful software made by small developers.

It's also real easy to get a good laptop because there's only one brand and all their models are pretty good. I'm sure HP, Dell, and Lenovo all have really good laptops, but they also have really lovely laptops and I'd prefer not to buy shift through all their crap to find the model they didn't cut corners on.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Anyone who tells you they're just as productive with a touchpad as they are with a mouse is either sorely mistaken or terrible at using a mouse. That said : the Razer Blade Stealth (mine's for sale in SA mart!) touchpad is as close to "macbook good" as I've ever experienced.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I carry around a corded Dell mouse with my laptop because the touchpad negatively affects my gaming productivity.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I’ve only had macs since the iBook g4 at least laptop wise. My desktops were always windows but that’s for games. I just can’t imagine that people are lagging this far behind on touchpad tech. I think ibm sent me a laptop with a loving nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

I can't tell if you're joking about the IBM thing. The Thinkpad clitmouse has been around forever. I think some Dells had them as well.

Yeah, windows touchpads kind of suck. Don't know if Macs are any better, I've used a Macbook all of once. I don't have a wireless mouse for my laptop, but I've considered it. gently caress laptop touchscreens, though. All they ever do is accidentally cause people to click on something when they mean to point at it but move just a tiny bit too far.

Oh look, there was an entire new page I missed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can't tell if you're joking about the IBM thing. The Thinkpad clitmouse has been around forever. I think some Dells had them as well.

Yeah, windows touchpads kind of suck. Don't know if Macs are any better, I've used a Macbook all of once. I don't have a wireless mouse for my laptop, but I've considered it. gently caress laptop touchscreens, though. All they ever do is accidentally cause people to click on something when they mean to point at it but move just a tiny bit too far.

Oh look, there was an entire new page I missed.

Step one of any touchpad is disabling double tap to drag. My God is that poo poo annoying when I'm just trying to make small movements with the mouse.

Not to mention increasing the mistake rate of dropping folders into subfolders and loving up the entire directory.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I use a full-size Logitech cordless mouse with my Macbook Pro because I have pretty terrible RSI and it's awful trying to use a touchpad for 9 hours a day.

I also can't use touchpads competently, period, for things that have a lot of dragging around. Coding or whatever, cool and fine, but I dread having to open up a LucidChart diagram if I don't have a mouse handy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't Apple have a shitload of their touchpad stuff patented, down to the surface feel and a lot of the gestures?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Doesn't Apple have a shitload of their touchpad stuff patented, down to the surface feel and a lot of the gestures?

Apple touchpads have been good longer than any patent. Like an iBook from Bush's first term was better than the average Windows trackpad now. I'm sure Apple has patents out the whazzoo, but that's not why Windows trackpads suck.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
We have been testing out tech like VR and stuff at work lately and got some new toys. One was a Razer Blade laptop and it has a 4K touch screen.
I generally loath windows, but the touch support has gotten quite good. I found myself using it to scroll around rather than the actual touch pad.

Drives me nuts when the default setting for a PC laptop makes it randomly click things if you tap the trackpad. The macbook haptic feedback stuff is so much nicer.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's easier to squeeze extra productivity hours out of happy employees. If an extra $1000 on their laptop stops them from bitching for 5 minutes every day, it's not long before that $1000 is recovered.

If only any managers would listen to this. In my experience IT tends to have the worst gear out of anyone. Maybe this is my jaded MSP brain talking, but every laptop I've ever had was, at minimum, 5 years old and complete trash. Don't worry though, we constantly tell customers they should have proper evergreen plans in place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's not normal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

If only any managers would listen to this. In my experience IT tends to have the worst gear out of anyone. Maybe this is my jaded MSP brain talking, but every laptop I've ever had was, at minimum, 5 years old and complete trash. Don't worry though, we constantly tell customers they should have proper evergreen plans in place.

That's definitely not the norm and you should look for better jobs.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

See, I figured this was the case. I promise I'm actively looking to get the gently caress out of here :smith:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My team def has some of the nicest stuff. Qhd monitors for instance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, where I work the sys-admins are the only ones with SSDs, except for the guys who bring their own devices. Surprise surprise, when you're the ones in charge of who gets what machine, you tend to get the good stuff when people leave.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'd really not talk about my monitors lol. If you're my CEO you have 3 nice 4K monitors. If you're any of the rest of us, you've got these sweet Walmart specials or whatever they are. At least they're 16:9.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
The team that has the nicest stuff where I work is the team that handles deployments. A little annoying given the dumb limitations they place, max cpu is a dual core atm and 12GB of ram. Refuse to provision anything else.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The best thing to improve employee morale is to give them a second monitor. Holy poo poo why do managers fight this so much?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

HP laptops have come a long way. Our new 840 G5's are pretty slick.

There is and always has been a significant difference between the pro/elite lines and the consumer lines.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I am literally the only person at my company that has 2. It's baffling. Everyone else has a little aluminum stand for their MacBook (retina) and a single 24" (non 2880x1800) monitor.

Moving things between displays was a nightmare so I asked the helpdesk guy for another monitor. Now I feel like a snowflake ☹️

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

The best thing to improve employee morale is to give them a second monitor. Holy poo poo why do managers fight this so much?

To further this, giving your employees good equipment makes them happier and more productive.

I used to do site support for a ~50 person office for our company. 90% programmers there. The manager of the software devs bought them all new video cards and dual 28" Samsung 4K monitors. You would have thought it was Christmas around there for weeks. I bet they paid for themselves in increased morale and productivity in less than 2 months. We also get them very good hardware. 5K for hardware that'll last 3 years is nothing when you're paying these guys as much as we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

You probably print a lot more poo poo if you have no second monitor too. That's one way to sell it to the business.