Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lift sanctions on iran and nk, easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wtf is the america first president talking about helping the chinese job market?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

wtf is the america first president talking about helping the chinese job market?

:ssh: The servants of capitalism, whatever color the flag they wrap themselves in, care only for their true god: mammon. :ssh:

Serious-post, large scale unemployment in China will cause mass instability in their already-unsustainable urban areas and very likely lead to political unrest, rhetoric aside Trump knows that if China blows up the US economy will tank and he wants a second term?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 13, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol, i wasn't familiar with the case we had against them so i looked it up. that tweet makes even less sense now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

zte did nothing wrong and the sanctions are both unwarranted and unethical

usa trying to bully a company into grovelling

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we should sanction all android manufacturers, tbh

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ugh, i had to click that to see if it's REALDONALDJFUCKWIT

i don't follow his brain droppings usually

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao

no.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
e: lol oops. wrong thread!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
http://bgr.com/2018/05/16/htc-exodus-bitcoin-phone-blockchain/

quote:

HTC is about to unveil a flagship phone that nobody will want to buy, the U12 handset the company teased using iPhone 6 parts not too long ago. But it turns out that, on its road to what appears to be inevitable doom, HTC is trying one more thing that nobody else has: The world’s first native blockchain phone. What’s even stranger about the HTC Exodus is that the phone did not get any teasers or leaks. Instead, HTC’s Phil Chen quietly dropped the news on Medium.

The HTC Exodus is the first native blockchain phone dedicated to bringing end consumers the best decentralized application (DApp) experiences, including a built-in secure hardware enclave, and helping underlying protocols expand their base of dedicated nodes, thus expanding the total blockchain ecosystem.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

decentralized apps sounds to me like apps that are always in a million versions

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/16/17356904/wonder-gaming-android-smartphone-console-mobile-hybrid-pc-games-platform

someone finally gonna give ouya a run for it's money

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

let’s unpack this url: wonder gaming android smartphone console mobile hybrid pc games platform

also, two watches

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Effectively, Kleinman wants to make a device akin to Android co-founder Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone with its focus on enthusiast consumers, but with a gaming and entertainment bent.

lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

let’s unpack this url: wonder gaming android smartphone console mobile hybrid pc games platform

also, two watches

one is a fitness tracker, though it probably also functions as a watch

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

amazing that no one wants to learn from Microsoft's amazingly costly mistake: if you want to be a console manufacturer be ready to throw unlimited money at first/third party developers

and even if you do it's not a guarantee, again microsofts costly boxes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yeah, if i'm gonna pick an example of what i want my product to be, i'm gonna pick a successful one, not an abject failure

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the latest update to phone.apk has taken years of careful UI refinement and chucked it all in favor of an old-school iOS design

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

screenshot please

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

decentralized apps sounds to me like apps that are always in a million versions

even better, they're apps where someone can just accidentally break them: https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2017/11/08/the-ethereum-parity-wallet-disaster-play-by-play/

quote:

The Parity project has a detailed post on what happened. “This means that currently no funds can be moved out of the multi-sig wallets.” The total of locked-up funds appears to be on the order of 1 million ETH, or about $300 million. Parity’s MultiSig Freeze page currently says 584 wallets are affected.

Parity was founded by Gavin Wood, who is more or less the second-lead developer of Ethereum itself, and author of the “yellow paper”, the Ethereum protocol specification. Wood also runs Polkadot, whose ICO was very successful; the Ether raised in the ICO appears to be stuck in the locked wallet.

To emphasise that point: smart contract coding is so difficult and unforgiving that even one of the primary developers of Ethereum can’t do it without losing hundreds of millions of dollars to human error.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

yellow paper? is it like yellow snow?

as in, a white paper you piss on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

it’s good that these new Android game console people are doing everything they can to distance themselves from the Ouya failure, such as hiring designer Yves Behar.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blue Train posted:

screenshot please

phone app has all my biz-nass on it, so censoring it for privacy would make it difficult to see what im talking about

basically, start with how some of the AOSP/Google apps are designed with a tab/pane interface, where there are tabs near the top of the screen and you tap each one to change tabs. the phone app had tabs up there for dialer, contacts, call log, and voicemail. you could also swipe left and right between these tabs

now consider that one of the classic iOS paradigms is basically this, but with the tabs on the bottom instead. google has changed the dialer to this style, with the four tabs mentioned above now sitting at the bottom of the screen. also, now you can't swipe left and right between them. personally i have long thought the ios style made more sense, since it obscures less of the screen with your fingers, and is easier to use with just one hand. but i also had gotten used to the style that google had been developing for years, and aside from my bikeshedding it really was quite fine and i liked that they have made many small and good improvements over the years to apps like the phone and the clock/alarm. but ofc no OS maker can just improve stuff and keep it generally as-is, gotta totally change a core thing users use every day because it's not in fashion anymore, some obscure metrics we collected said this new approach will be 1.02% better, etc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but ofc no OS maker can just improve stuff and keep it generally as-is, gotta totally change a core thing users use every day because it's not in fashion anymore, some obscure metrics we collected said this new approach will be 1.02% better, etc

I think you mean no one ever got a bonus for keeping something the same with gradual improvement.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

phone app has all my biz-nass on it, so censoring it for privacy would make it difficult to see what im talking about

basically, start with how some of the AOSP/Google apps are designed with a tab/pane interface, where there are tabs near the top of the screen and you tap each one to change tabs. the phone app had tabs up there for dialer, contacts, call log, and voicemail. you could also swipe left and right between these tabs

now consider that one of the classic iOS paradigms is basically this, but with the tabs on the bottom instead. google has changed the dialer to this style, with the four tabs mentioned above now sitting at the bottom of the screen. also, now you can't swipe left and right between them. personally i have long thought the ios style made more sense, since it obscures less of the screen with your fingers, and is easier to use with just one hand. but i also had gotten used to the style that google had been developing for years, and aside from my bikeshedding it really was quite fine and i liked that they have made many small and good improvements over the years to apps like the phone and the clock/alarm. but ofc no OS maker can just improve stuff and keep it generally as-is, gotta totally change a core thing users use every day because it's not in fashion anymore, some obscure metrics we collected said this new approach will be 1.02% better, etc

while i agree that the top tabs looked better than ios style bottom ones that was before the majority of new phones had 2:1 aspect ratios putting the top tabs out of reach. the bottom tabs are still lovely and look terrible right above the navbar but i understand the reasoning

The Management posted:

I think you mean no one ever got a bonus for keeping something the same with gradual improvement.

im p. sure this isnt so much that as it is googles normal penchant for creating a ui convention and then veering away once they get 90% of the way there. has there ever been a time when every google webpage had the current top banner all at the same time? they do the same thing in their android apps where one or two apps will be the vanguard style and half will slowly migrate to it over time and a handful will be one or two styles back and just before they all get on the same style the process starts all over

rn i think the vanguard apps are assistant and tasks and google news with their use of product sans for headers and all white color motif. by comparison phone and photos and the google app are on the previous layout and photos and drive and voice are on the one before that

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

http://bgr.com/2018/05/17/red-hydrogen-one-release-date-verizon posted:

Coming from a company that’s known for its camera business, the Hydrogen phone looked like vaporware when it was first announced last August. That’s because the phone is supposed to be the world’s first holographic phone, a device that would offer users 3D-like experiences without glasses.

That’s something not available on any other handset right now, whether they run iOS or Android. Apple, for what it’s worth, has patents detailing holographic screens. But RED is actually making and releasing one.

http://bgr.com/2018/05/17/red-hydrogen-one-release-date-verizon/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

quote:

That’s because the phone is supposed to be the world’s first holographic phone, a device that would offer users 3D-like experiences without glasses.
I thought htc already made a phone that gave users 3d experiences and headaches

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I thought htc already made a phone that gave users 3d experiences and headaches

they did at the height of the dumb 3d tv thing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is red trying to do a porsche design thing for phones now? i didn't think the brand was that recognizable outside of cinema camera geeks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

is red trying to do a porsche design thing for phones now? i didn't think the brand was that recognizable outside of cinema camera geeks.

it's the same guy who founded oakley, he won't rest until everything is over-beveled ugly garbage with extra bold fonts

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

it's the same guy who founded oakley, he won't rest until everything is over-beveled ugly garbage with extra bold fonts

you mean marketed at 16-45 year old males?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tonka truck design language.tiff

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you mean marketed at 16-45 year old males?

oh hey it might be a successful android then

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Even this thing has a loving headphone port

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yves Bahar, the industrial designer on their team, also worked on the Ouya ayy lmao

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
“nobody has ever made a 3D phone before”

even lg and htc have made them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"nobody has ever bought a 3d phone before"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

check out his brutalist house, who wouldnt want to come home to this

https://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/james-jannard-beverly-hills-residence-idgroup

Perplx fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 18, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Perplx posted:

https://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/james-jannard-beverly-hills-residence-idgroup

looks like a nice place to blow your brains out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Perplx posted:

are we sure he isn't a terminator?