Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Haha there's a two-year old with some old woman's memories in her or something, going around with a lisp giving people sass. I don't know why but that tickles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Healthy young child goes to sietch, gets pumped with massive shot of water of life, doesn't feel good and changes - ABOMINATION. Many such cases!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Is there nothing sacred that we can resist from Trump-ising. Good Lord.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Man I could really go for some semuta and the weird hosed up music that you love while you’re all jacked up on it right now

:350:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010jns1VcfU:350:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

henpod posted:

Haha there's a two-year old with some old woman's memories in her or something, going around with a lisp giving people sass. I don't know why but that tickles me.

It's a real Village of the Damned kinda vibe. I'll spoiler it since you might not be through Children yet the part where Leto and Ghanima have to subsume their egos to allow Paul and Chani to communicate is one of the saddest/creepiest parts of all. Children gets poo poo for being slow, but one of the big themes of it is "demonic possession" which I don't find boring at all. That the weird just-memories can take the form of these hungry wraiths is a powerful example of how dangerous the spice can be. Chani's ego even tries to possess Ghanima permanently, but gets talked out of it. That would lessen my opinion of her, except that she redeems herself at the end of the book when she blocks the *presence* of the Harkonnen in Ghani's mind.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MC Hawking posted:

Is there nothing sacred that we can resist from Trump-ising. Good Lord.

his name is a killing word!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

machine thunking

:thunk:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the title of a Jamiroquai album

e: I just realized that their most famous song (also off that album) is literally about the dangers of overreliance on technology :tinfoil:

Almost. It's travelling without moving. It's also the title of a track on it.

It is a very good album.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the jihad was “what if phones, but too much” escalating quickly

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yandat posted:

the jihad was “what if phones, but too much” escalating quickly

Uhh Butlerian Jihad Black Mirror episode now Please.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BONGHITZ posted:

Healthy young child goes to sietch, gets pumped with massive shot of water of life, doesn't feel good and changes - ABOMINATION. Many such cases!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

basic hitler posted:

Uhh Butlerian Jihad Black Mirror episode now Please.

a black mirror portraying a successful luddite revolution where they kill all the techies would be pretty sweet, surprised it hasnt been done

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Almost. It's travelling without moving. It's also the title of a track on it.

It is a very good album.

Virtual Insanity is still 100% about the butlerian jihad and you drat know it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The more I work in tech the more I think that the Butlerian Jihad did nothing wrong

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was listening to Chapo Trap House and they have an episode where they go off a Dune tangent for the majority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiI7ZAd6Lmw

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Malcolm XML posted:

The more I work in tech the more I think that the Butlerian Jihad did nothing wrong

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind!

I think of modern business in general as an example of mechanical thinking that the Butlerian Jihad perscribed against.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ccs posted:

I was listening to Chapo Trap House and they have an episode where they go off a Dune tangent for the majority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiI7ZAd6Lmw

good content

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Now I am reading the gently caress fight and it's kind of dumb

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I vividly remember being 14 and reading that scene, and being all wtf when he licks her armpit.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Now I am reading the gently caress fight and it's kind of dumb

But they fall in love. :kiddo:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sex u up so good an ancestor awakens

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

phasmid posted:

But they fall in love. :kiddo:

And then she starts to resent him because he keeps trying to hold her hand or whatever through the Spice Agony. And then he flies away in their house with a worm while she zenkicks all the Honored Matres to death and becomes the new Mom Superior.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I am understanding why I should have stopped at God Emperor

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yandat posted:

a black mirror portraying a successful luddite revolution where they kill all the techies would be pretty sweet, surprised it hasnt been done

black mirrors writers can only produce po-faced variations of "what if a mobile...nicked your chav???"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SickZip posted:

black mirrors writers can only produce po-faced variations of "what if a mobile...nicked your chav???"

What if emojis, but bad?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dune?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

desert planet

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ohhhhhh, DUNE

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hadnt read messiah or children before and im starting messiah and its a lot shittier than Dune :confuoot:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dedert plant

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've only read DUNE. Well I did read one of the other ones, with a giant man-worm who talked a lot, but I read it during a two-day anxiety attack occassioned by procrastinating over a job interview, so my memory of it is a bit hazy.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if you experience anxiety all of the time, is it like being a mentat?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

BONGHITZ posted:

username/post combo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what if dune but weed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh wait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fremen dont have fuckin horses

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

follow the dust toward the spice filled land

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BONGHITZ posted:

Yes, but like a really low-quality mentat who didn't quite turn out right, and only offers mediocre advice.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
A mentat who instead of getting quality information from a fully accredited spy network is instead getting his fill from the contemporary equivalent of infowars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
THEY'RE TURNING THE WORMS GAY