Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rudecyrus posted:

Sprite work is great, the color palette is ugh.

Well, they are Reborn's shinies. Here's some regular color sprites:

Charizards just swapped palettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I genuinely love that Venusaur.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly that spritework is really good and she could probably land a professional job doing it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I accidentally shrank the images by half and didn't notice until I was previewing the post. Even lping this game is full of minor time wasting annoyances.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hey, it's GOON, the guy who stole my loving fish!

What do you mean, we?

Oh poo poo, the salesman was in on it too! Who could've seen this coming?

You know, assuming you cared?

They're a real easy battle, but...

GOON got robbed, and someone else has my drat fish!

In a building I didn't enter is a lady with her cricket on a couch.

Video games.

Reborn's bug-type gym leader Shelly is here to investigate, and determines that Kriketot is not sick, it's just lonely and bored.

Yeah sure, since Kriketot evolves into Kriketune, which has the best cry possible.

One last thing before we advance the plot, if we follow the tracks east it leads to a small tunnel.

It has a hobo and a guy whose word I have to take unless I decide to just wait several days.

This real-time weather system is bad.

Past that is an even bigger tunnel, underneath Obsidia Ward.

Which seems to be in some pretty rough shape.

We can't proceed yet because oh gently caress this game has like 9 HMs, but in the tunnel itself are some things.

Like bats. And field effects!

Gust is weakened because, uh... caves have little air?

Field effects are Reborn's worst innovation because they're itemized lists of poo poo you just have to remember, on top of the attributes of moves and of Pokemon themselves being that.

I checked to make sure Headbutt actually worked in this game then went back to it to grab one of these coneheads.

The guy right outside the gym tells us that Reborn also decided battles must be as tedious as possible.

But that's a little early, see, by beating Fern we set the event flag so that coming here makes us have to go somewhere else entirely, do a thing, then trek all the way back here.

That structure is great at extending a game without adding more content. Reborn uses it too loving much.

The criminal wasn't working alone, and his allies were targeting the city's power source!

It's that place we found an ability capsule, not the other unknown factory that seems to produce only waste.

Julia blows up the door because rofl explosions, and Swag Jockey Fern shows up with a person who talks like someone thinks Spock talks, if they're only dimly aware of Star Trek, Vulcans, and Spock through seeing t-shirts.

Her name is Florinia, because Florina is too plain.

No, there isn't an official character named Florina. Not like using Julia was a problem.

She's Fern's older sister, if you can't tell by their tiny-rear end sprites looking so much alike.

I need to establish her nicknames because not many characters call her Florinia.

Team Meteor is a meaningful name like Aqua or Magma, not an arbitrary but cool one like Rocket or Plasma.

Why it's meaningful is revealed sort of offhand in about two hundred hours.

The factory does indeed produce nothing but industrial waste.

Also this series has mutliple intelligent beings that can in fact detect environmental harm with pinpoint accuracy and inform people. The association of preservation with a specific left-wing counter-culture doesn't really make sense.

Also it doesn't work when said left-wing counter-culture is objectively right due to multiple intelligent beings that can in fact detect happiness and/or suffering with pinpoint accuracy and inform people.

Florinia's gimmick is that she uses a lot of big words. She's saying split up.

She goes with Julia, so we're stuck with Fern.

OST: Battle- Meteor.mp3

Your epic battle theme shouldn't sound so drowsy.

OFSelects: Joe Satriani - Up In The Sky

gently caress you, it's my bgm folder. :colbert:

Another field effet, one we can't really inteact with. All I can do is have my Pineco explode, breaking the machines and turning it into a different field effect we can't really interact with.

I guess it boosts electric moves?

Apparently I was really nice to Flower Boy, or maybe I just ran in circles a bunch.

The grunts all have individual names. They show up later (spoilers we don't defeat the villainous team for good in the first encounter with them) and have teams that expand.

It's cute, but it also means that Meteor's pokemon selection follows no themes or patterns. There's no general sense of what the next battle could contain from seeing two of these counterstrike terrorist looking motherfuckers.

Oh yeah, this is a dungeon. It's an industrial building full of machines and barrels. That's it.

We get it, she's a turbo-vulcan.

While Florinia hacks the mainframe system or whatever, Julia suggests bombs, but she's out. But since Meteor was planning to blow up the power plant, there are bombs here.

The Team Meteor concept was finalized years before S&M had an actual meteor pokemon. The result is too many goddamn Miniors. You get way too familiar with Shields Down.

At least they're way better EXP than other things here.

...You know, I wasn't planning on power-leveling Flower Boy, but it looks like it's happening anyway.

I wish. :(

Anyway we take the bombs meant to destroy an entire building and move on.

But before Julia can blow anything up, Florinia opens the door!

And Julia is super annoyed she doesn't get to make anything explode! XD XD XD

In the next room is a guy with a unique sprite, which includes a red techno-eyepatch and oh my god I hate his design.

He doesn't introduce himself, but he does introduce the concept of Team Meteor being smug as poo poo and us behaving exactly as they planned.

Then he has the grunts battle us while he battles Julia and Florinia. These two have different sprites so they're different I guess.

They have yet more rock types that Flower Boy has to solve himself.

After losing, the edgy guy smugly says they succeded at deleting the data about their plans so they actually won, and then he leaves.

This wouldn't be the first time Pokemon antagonists retreat despite the player character standing between them and the door, but Team Meteor takes it to an artform.

Julia either uses the factory's self destruct sequence or uses the bombs she has but this place is gonna blow!!!!

I did! It made electric moves say something and then happen about the same anyway!

She gives us a way to view their effects ingame, but since nothing is convenient it only has Supercharged Field (for Julia's gym battle) and we have to find the rest elsewhere. I still have no idea what the factory does despite how many battles I've had there.

Anyway, with that detour done we have to go to Julia's gym again. Since we have the notes on her field effect, let's look them up!

did you get all that

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 1
Acts of terrorism: 1
Acts of torture: 1
Bad guys escape somehow: 1

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

If you like arbitrary pop culture references, then Reborn has the shinies for you!

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 18, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Objection: that was clearly an act of terrorism.

Uhh... actually, wait, Team Meteor's goal was to blow up the factory, so we went in and beat them and then... blew up the factory? C-crisis averted?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think Florinia is supposed to be talking more like say Transformers G1's Soundwave rather than a Vulcan. But it's much dumber because well... she's not a robot (OR IS SHE???)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait why does an electric field cause specifically focus punch to fail?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

megane posted:

Uhh... actually, wait, Team Meteor's goal was to blow up the factory, so we went in and beat them and then... blew up the factory? C-crisis averted?

They wanted to blow up the power plant, the obnoxious yellow building. Big difference.

Also if it's not terrorism when Captain Planet blows up one of Looten Plunder's buildings then it isn't when we demolish a location with similar net effects on the environment.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
What the hell, was Florinia's dialogue written by that guy from Pokemon Revolution Online?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Sydin posted:

I think the idea might be the electricity tingling on your skin prevents the Pokemon from focusing? Which, to be fair, is true to life. Imagine your leg falling asleep but it's your entire body.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Past that is an even bigger tunnel, underneath Obsidia Ward.
I love how this game has really big cracks, frequently in roofs or otherwise over an area we should probably be able to see through it, but they're completely matte black.

Clearly the only sensible conclusion is that these aren't holes, or at least not deep ones, but some unknown black substance.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Zereth posted:

I love how this game has really big cracks, frequently in roofs or otherwise over an area we should probably be able to see through it, but they're completely matte black.

Clearly the only sensible conclusion is that these aren't holes, or at least not deep ones, but some unknown black substance.

It's part of Pokemon Banksy's new gimmick where he goes around painting everything in vantablack to highlight the edginess inherent in society.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The old LP dedicated an entire sub-post to detailing the sheer amount of minutia in these field effects
it's just....ridiculous.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I don't think Florinia was supposed to be her name at the start. I assume that someone misspelled Florina, but when someone else tried to point it out, the creator yelled that it was intentional, and then just gave her a bunch of nicknames so that people wouldn't notice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

I think the idea might be the electricity tingling on your skin prevents the Pokemon from focusing? Which, to be fair, is true to life. Imagine your leg falling asleep but it's your entire body.

You're probably right but that's the kind of thinking that leads to this incredibly stupid system. Trying to be "realistic" to an extreme, so every field has a million different factors.

The idea of abstracting gameplay is just too hard for some people, even in a goddamn turn-based RPG, gotta make it true to life no matter how much it may hurt the gameplay.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I understand why they wanted to make field effects have more of a presence, but this is just Design 101 they are ignoring: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Even Yugioh field spells aren't this absurd.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

That many pages to explain the first field effect that gets formally introduced? Man. Can't wait for the late (?) game when they probably balloon to like twelve pages of arbitrary rules and regulations to make a "boss battle" as obnoxious as possible because that just seems like something they would do.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

I understand why they wanted to make field effects have more of a presence, but this is just Design 101 they are ignoring: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Even Yugioh field spells aren't this absurd.

Seriously! Compare the "supercharged" field to the actual Electric Terrain, which:
-boosts all electric attacks by 50% if pokemon is "grounded"
-prevents sleep
-secret power = thunder, nature power = thunderbolt, camouflage = electric
the most complicated thing about this is it only works on grounded pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SirSystemError posted:

That many pages to explain the first field effect that gets formally introduced? Man. Can't wait for the late (?) game when they probably balloon to like twelve pages of arbitrary rules and regulations to make a "boss battle" as obnoxious as possible because that just seems like something they would do.

You know, I don't think that'll happen. That'd mean the people behind this game get the idea of a challenge starting low then raising throughout the game, which clearly isn't the case here seeing how the first gym already has six Pokemon on a team.

Besides, repeating myself, the field effects come from overthinking how things work, they likely started as just a random idea and then "but how would THIS interact with it???" came up for basically everything until it became this. It'll be the same for every field like that, since they cover every goddamn possibility because, again, whoever's behind this completely fails to understand abstraction.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

I... What? The grunt's given name is Meteor? Meteor Grunt Meteor wants to battle! :psyduck:

Nevermind, I can't read.

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 18, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

RyuHimora posted:

I... What? The grunt's given name is Meteor? Meteor Grunt Meteor wants to battle! :psyduck:

It's Simon and Tara.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Blowing up the factory would fill the lake with all of the factory's liquid contents and not just its by products. Your small environmental issues just became a disaster.

Also RIP to any factory workers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Aster and Eclipse have space themed names, so they're clearly way too important to be mere Grunts. Can't believe the game got its own trainer class wrong :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

Aster and Eclipse have space themed names, so they're clearly way too important to be mere Grunts. Can't believe the game got its own trainer class wrong :colbert:

It's going by XCOM rules, so all the Meteor members except the leader start out as grunts but will rank up if they live through enough missions.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You know, a fish might be a valuable commodity in a place where all the water is poo poo brown.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Also RIP to any factory workers.

There must be sacrifices for ~HAPPY BOOM TIME~

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Sydin posted:

serefin99 posted:

That's one possibility, but remember what we're talking about. Conspiracy theory time: Someone figured out how to sweep the gym with a focus puncher, sooo.....

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Just think this needs more appreciation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't wait to see what kind of ridiculous bullshit you get up to with that Pineco. :allears:

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I kind of want to see how much stuff can be broken wide open at this point, but I also have this feeling that someone at the Reborn team is lurking the LP threads for the game and telling the devs what to patch.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In the next room is a guy with a unique sprite, which includes a red techno-eyepatch and oh my god I hate his design.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I see Ghetsis had a hippie phase.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think part of the reason Supercharged Terrain looks so over-complicated is that it tells you everything it does, considering all the niche and edge effects of rain and sun it isn't all that much more complex.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Torchlighter posted:

That's one possibility, but remember what we're talking about. Conspiracy theory time: Someone figured out how to sweep the gym with a focus puncher, sooo.....

:lol:

Nothing screams pokemon game like giving you zero ability to choose how you approach a given situation!

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Torchlighter posted:

Considering I don't think it's even possible to get a Focus Puncher so early in the game without, at the very least, ludicrous amounts of grinding. Making the very first gym have a solution for that, seems petty as all get out

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

xelada posted:

I think part of the reason Supercharged Terrain looks so over-complicated is that it tells you everything it does, considering all the niche and edge effects of rain and sun it isn't all that much more complex.

While it's true that weather has a fair few edge cases where specific moves and abilities are changed slightly, there are only four of them that see any sort of extensive use. Five if you count fog from Gen 4 (and who does, really?) and eight if you count the effects introduced in ORAS, which are either slightly modified versions of existing weather or have no effects outside of the single one they're advertised as having.

On the flip side, Reborn has 41 of these field effects, although apparently not all of them are accessible right now. And there are ways to transition between them by using very specific moves that you'd have no reason to bring along most of the time unless you're doing so with the express purpose of changing the field instead of a single move that just changes the weather, no questions asked. You can probably see the problems with this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

To be even more fair, most of the time it's more like "this move cares about weather" than "this weather cares about moves". Blizzard, Hurricane, Solar Beam, Synthesis, etc.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now, would dark terrain types make it so light-based attacks are weak, or would it make it so moves that produce sudden bright lights will blind pokemon that rely on eyesight? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Now, would dark terrain types make it so light-based attacks are weak, or would it make it so moves that produce sudden bright lights will blind pokemon that rely on eyesight? Both?
we have to think edgier: stab/slicing moves get double damage and add a bleed effect