Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/997571653705007104

Warlord posted:

Hey, remember back when Star Marine (developed by Illfonic in CO) was a thing, then it wasn’t – then it suddenly appeared again? The State of Colorado has publicly listed their media and film incentives allocation statement. Between 2011 – 2018, they allocated about $17m, of which $3M was earmarked for fiscal year 2015. In that period, CIG got approximately $764K for Illfonic – which was working on Star Marine at the time. That was out of the $3.8m allocated that year by the State.

As we know, Star Marine was released Dec 23rd, 2016 in the 2.6 patch. Apparently, someone told the State that the money was for Star Citizen – and that it was released in 2015. Considering the fiasco over State funds allocation in the 38 Studios fiasco, this has some major implications in the long term. Wait and see. They are also doing the same thing in other States, as well as in the UK where the actually took out a loan with Coutts bank, against their govt. tax credits.

:eyepop:

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Paging Mr. BNBL....

Does it bother you that there are times when Derek Smart was right?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No, I never said he wasn't right, I just said he is human garbage.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

DapperDon posted:

Paging Mr. BNBL....

Does it bother you that there are times when Derek Smart was right?

Right or wrong he is still a narcissistic rear end in a top hat. And that is why some people here do not like him.

Does it bother you that people may not like the guy based on reasons not pertaining to Star Citizen?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Lladre posted:

Right or wrong he is still a narcissistic rear end in a top hat. And that is why some people here do not like him.

Does it bother you that people may not like the guy based on reasons not pertaining to Star Citizen?

Not at all. Nobody here is being forced to like anyone. Well except Beer insisting that we all like his dislike for Anime.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

"This game totally has 2,000,000 engaged backers"

[~300 avg viewership any given day on twitch]

To Sandi plaything intern reading this: so much for the "best marketing in the world"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

300 is a banner day for star citizen on twitch.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So what rewards does the Colorado state government get for backing at the $750k+ level? I assume they at least get the Javelin and Million Mile High Club access.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:lol: that Colorado's Office of Film, Television, and Media thinks CIG did filming in their state, and didn't just falsify their Film Incentives claims via fraudulent invoices to Illfonic.

:wow:

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

!!!

That's hilarious they changed they newsletter count to the backer count so bad.

That's why we screen shot everything folks. Well done.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bayonnefrog posted:

"This game totally has 2,000,000 engaged backers"

[~300 avg viewership any given day on twitch]

To Sandi plaything intern reading this: so much for the "best marketing in the world"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

big nipples big life posted:

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

Let us be generous

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MilesK posted:

So what rewards does the Colorado state government get for backing at the $750k+ level? I assume they at least get the Javelin and Million Mile High Club access.
Something something sense of pride and accomplishment.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Quavers posted:

:lol: that Colorado's Office of Film, Television, and Media thinks CIG did filming in their state, and didn't just falsify their Film Incentives claims via fraudulent invoices to Illfonic.

Are you making GBS threads me?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

could someone please explain the final line in the DS post "the project has now cost over 740k!!!"

I thought we were at 185+ mil

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

38 studios was around 75 million iirc, I don't think 700k for a project that spent 3+ million in the state is going to have quite the same scrutiny.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Quavers posted:

I'm guessing they'll argue that a computer game development falls under "media"

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

It's still a game if it never comes out guys. I think this also means Sandi is an actress even if all her parts are cut.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Quavers posted:

Well, it is listed as a Video Game, not a film.

But it is interesting that they told the state that Star Citizen, the video game, was completed in 2015. So much for claims of being in Alpha.

And if Star Citizen was completed in 2015, they probably owe some people money they promised to pay "upon completion".

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Bayonnefrog posted:

could someone please explain the final line in the DS post "the project has now cost over 740k!!!"

I'm guessing the 'k' should be an 'm'.

185 *4 is suspiciously close to 740.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

James Bond was the Walther PPK. I believe they actually had to build it as it didn’t exist.

The Walther Police Pistol (PP) was release in 1930, entered service circa 1935. The Police Pistol Kuerz (PPK) entered service in 1937 designed for detectives and undercover work. They were around as Ian Fleming was writing the novels.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

All these dirty leavers and fudsters with their doom and gloom prophecies.....

Well I've heard that dev houses are queuing up to licence StarEngine and Santaball will be the next big thing in eSports.

Two weeks.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Wonder what Colorado would say if they were given Kotaku's write-up of CIG mismanaging and scrapping Illfonic's work, that cost the state $764k :thunk:

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Bayonnefrog posted:

ok ok my b. He meant 740m and is using the CR 4-1 cost ratio. Got it.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Quavers posted:

Wonder what Colorado would say if they were given Kotaku's write-up of CIG mismanaging and scrapping Illfonic's work, that cost the state $764k :thunk:

Well, the program funding has been reduced to only $750k per year as a result of

quote:

a scathing audit the program received in June (2017) that said it’s misspent millions of dollars by giving money to ineligible products and agreeing to pay producers who failed to submit proper paperwork.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

this is actually an excellent teaching experience re: working in games

it don't get much better and if you're actually decent at what you do, go do anything else, make twice as much and work half as hard

Writing CRUD applications ain't sexy, but everybody needs it and it pays well...

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

We need Derek back. Beet your in charge of this one.

I'm glad ur family is dead.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Ayn Marx posted:

I'm glad ur family is dead.

:eyepop:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Golli posted:

I'm guessing the 'k' should be an 'm'.

185 *4 is suspiciously close to 740.

In two years Star Citizen will rival any big publisher game that cost over a billion dollars to make, and it won't even be halfway done!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Derek Smar: Still waiting on legal clearance to release the blog

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Writing CRUD applications ain't sexy, but everybody needs it and it pays well...

How about FUD applications? :wink:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

MilesK posted:

It was probably the friends they made along the way

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Now that's a bit more crunchy!

So, if I understand this correctly, they paid Illfonic money, and because Illfonic is located in Colorado (I guess) they claimed a tax credit?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Quavers posted:

The state auditor did not have high praise for the office. They didn't name and shame individual projects, but:

quote:

The Film Office overpaid one incentive by $36,500, or about 5 percent of the total $764,000 approved amount, in Fiscal Year 2016. The overpayment occurred because the production company improperly included about $212,000 in expenses that were incurred prior to the effective date of the contract. Therefore, the incentive the Film Office paid was more than 20 percent of the production’s actual qualified local expenditures. The CPA report for this project did not identify or correct this error.

Guess which project received $764,000?

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Pixelate posted:

y'all can at least show you can get work out even under some terrible loving management.

Star Citizer: I worked for Chris Roberts and all I got was some lousy jpeg.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So I see a number of projects on Colorado's list are still pending, so it doesn't seem like Star Citizen being incomplete is some kind of fail state for the prior loans. What exactly is the hot water here?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EightAce posted:

Really had things are happening. I don't want to blue ball but I'm pretty sure I can't post the specifics.
Please spare a thought for the honest devs . Fanboys, gamers and creative's just like many on this forum. They bought into the same bullshit as the backers. Now it's obvious the whole things hosed they are scared and stressed. Many have families and mortgages to pay. Its really hard to get a job in the Industry and Its a v small pond. In the resulting glee and Derek smart was right celebrations please spare a thought .
The backbone of CIG will be out of work. A small group of childhood Friends from Manchester will be millionaires

This is no doubt very unfortunate, and if not true, likely will be with enough time. I have no doubt a lot of key people are millionaires, and all the people trying to do the actual work are making peanuts and jellybeans. It will be tough. If they aren't out yet but are afraid, my biggest suggestion is to start looking now. Once they land something hand in a good 2-week notice, then leave amicably and without drama.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Contingency posted:

The state auditor did not have high praise for the office. They didn't name and shame individual projects, but:

lol

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

So I see a number of projects on Colorado's list are still pending, so it doesn't seem like Star Citizen being incomplete is some kind of fail state for the prior loans. What exactly is the hot water here?

CIG might owe Colorado $36,500 because of an accounting error. ELE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Contingency posted:

#Ortwinning