Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turns out I missed the Shrine under the temple! Only the treasure maps left to do😳😳😳

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nopantsjack posted:

(i miss the hostess minigame)
If you mean the hostess club management game that's in Kiwami 2 and also Hokuto. In Hokuto its a bit different though: the customers have a post-apocalyptic stress level that the goal is to lower by being around the girls, so they leave relaxed. Also when they get rowdy you can just headsplode them, which provides entertainment for the rest of the club.

Hokuto is good.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you mean the hostess club management game that's in Kiwami 2 and also Hokuto. In Hokuto its a bit different though: the customers have a post-apocalyptic stress level that the goal is to lower by being around the girls, so they leave relaxed. Also when they get rowdy you can just headsplode them, which provides entertainment for the rest of the club.

Hokuto is good.

Everyone who bought Yak 6 better have answered that goddamn survey

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

Everyone who bought Yak 6 better have answered that goddamn survey

I don't know why it was limited to Yakuza 6 buyers. I've never been into the Yakuza games but I would be hype for Fist of the North Star.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hokuto is good.

well poo poo i never knew i needed this but apparently its only out in japan

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

Did the old Criterion members left for Codemasters? I'm getting strong Burnout vibes from Onrush. If anyone wants to try an arcade racer on ps4 try the beta.

Oh poo poo there's a beta?

Rad.

ty goon!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 19, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Lobok posted:

I don't know why it was limited to Yakuza 6 buyers. I've never been into the Yakuza games but I would be hype for Fist of the North Star.

Makes sense, Yak 0 tested the waters for further Yak localizations, Yak 6 tested the waters for Hokuto. You could make an open survey and get 100% "Yes" answer from the usual Internet forums ganging up and screwing with everything or ask the people who actually spend money on your product.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

Makes sense, Yak 0 tested the waters for further Yak localizations, Yak 6 tested the waters for Hokuto. You could make an open survey and get 100% "Yes" answer from the usual Internet forums ganging up and screwing with everything or ask the people who actually spend money on your product.

Could do two and compare. One for Yak fans and one for the rest of us fools.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://youtu.be/27TKHRY_7YY

Gamespot put up 23 minutes of off-screen Kingdom Hearts 3 gameplay. I was already on board with this game when it was first announced, but even watching only a minute of gameplay cements my hype for this game. All I need now is a 2018 release promise. Hopefully this holiday season at the latest.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hokuto is good.

:vince:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I get the PS3 version of GTAV will I feel like I'm missing out on anything or is the PS4 version that much better

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

If I get the PS3 version of GTAV will I feel like I'm missing out on anything or is the PS4 version that much better

Ps4 has first person mode and a bunch of other improvements i think

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Steve Yun posted:

None of them are good.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Steve Yun posted:

If you're choosing between the two, might as well go with the PS4 version since it has more enhancements/features.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samuringa posted:

None of them are good.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samuringa posted:

I think they took that question out of the survey once they realized even just limiting it to Yak 6 buyers they were getting a 100% "Yes" answer

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also the end of the game was basically like the 20 seconds or so of every TV episode where he instantly headsplodes some dudes but 45 minutes straight of it. It was a hell of a thing.

Unlike the other Yakuza games though, grinding levels and also your fate cards or whatever matters a lot and the most effective ways to do it aren't immediately clear. That's the big downside.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Unless it's a money thing, I'm trying to figure out why you'd even be considering going for the PS3 version? And yes the PS4 version is substantially better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Unless it's a money thing, I'm trying to figure out why you'd even be considering going for the PS3 version? And yes the PS4 version is substantially better.

I have two TVs and one has a PS4 and the other a PS3. I also have a roommate who likes to play games. Although I could kick him off whenever I want, I don’t want to hog up the PS4 too much and figured I could use The time you get caught up on some old PS3 games that I missed. If the PS4 version is that much better, I’m sure there are plenty of other PS3 games that I can pick up instead

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Definitely get it on the PS4.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Starting to really like Yakuza 6 after being a bit lukewarm on it.
The combat is way more floaty and I miss the stances but its also kinda more fluid and fast and also you can throw a guy through a shop window and then the shopkeeper will get very upset about it

Performance is pretty bad FPS-wise though, especially when any physics happens, anyone know if its any better on the pro?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In the early game I just cleared out crowds with bicycles and then once I got the heat action that takes out two guys that was my go-to for the rest of the game. Parrying bosses is pretty good too.

Oh the drop kick is the best move though, I spammed that all day everyday

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

running into thugs in a bottleneck and throwing a scooter down the corridor also rules

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

probably instantly

as someone who still almost exclusively buys physical i'm happy i just renewed my GCU in march

Yeah, same. I have it until May 2019 but it’s still a real shame. For a long time it was undeniably one of the best deals in gaming. No way Amazon continues their 20% deal without a competitor.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Finished Nier: Automata last night (ending E). Good game. I figured out or guessed most of the big twists along the way (except for the stuff that came absolutely out of nowhere, some of which I had to look up to understand), but it was still a good experience. There are still a few things that don’t entirely make sense, but that’s ok. Never played Nier or a Drakengard game.

Spoilers for something that didn’t happen, but I was expecting to be a/the big reveal: I thought there would be something different with the pods, with them being some sort of agent of control ala “Would you kindly.” I was expecting the whole thing to actually be a simulation given the lack of day/night cycles, and pods were representative of the people on the other side that were actually in charge.

There is an allegedly canon epilogue out there, and it actually takes away from the ending, in my opinion.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there any reason to buy separate copies of the two MGS V games as opposed to the definitive edition one?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they're cheaper separately, sure. like how for some reason the witcher games used to be cheaper to buy individually on steam compared to buying the bundle of all three together

at least I assume ground zeroes comes with the definitive edition from the way you phrased that

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

the truth posted:

Finished Nier: Automata last night (ending E). Good game. I figured out or guessed most of the big twists along the way (except for the stuff that came absolutely out of nowhere, some of which I had to look up to understand), but it was still a good experience. There are still a few things that don’t entirely make sense, but that’s ok. Never played Nier or a Drakengard game.

Spoilers for something that didn’t happen, but I was expecting to be a/the big reveal: I thought there would be something different with the pods, with them being some sort of agent of control ala “Would you kindly.” I was expecting the whole thing to actually be a simulation given the lack of day/night cycles, and pods were representative of the people on the other side that were actually in charge.

There is an allegedly canon epilogue out there, and it actually takes away from the ending, in my opinion.

This is a minor point that doesn't add much but the lack of day/night cycle was explained in Nier The First One. It's just part of a boy and his dragon dragging a giant pregnant godwoman out of fantasyland and into Tokyo and having a rhythm battle with her.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Y'all should try Onrush yo.

It's like Burnout had sex with Motorstorm. The loading screen music sounds like Rocket League, and the tutorial is a serious exercise in class and subversion of expectations. (I thought it was going to load me into boring menus but instead it just drops you smack into gameplay)

http://tinypic.com/r/10p6e01/9

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 19, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Y'all should try Onrush yo.

It's like Burnout had sex with Motorstorm. The loading screen music sounds like Rocket League, and the tutorial is a serious exercise in class and subversion of expectations. (I thought it was going to load me into boring menus but instead it just drops you smack into gameplay)

http://tinypic.com/r/10p6e01/9

It's drat fun. I'm glad you got the burnout feel too. Hell you even do 'takedowns'. I don't know if I can justify paying full price considering that I still have to get HZD and Dad of War but is on top of my list now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

if they're cheaper separately, sure. like how for some reason the witcher games used to be cheaper to buy individually on steam compared to buying the bundle of all three together

at least I assume ground zeroes comes with the definitive edition from the way you phrased that

It comes with both games + all their DLC for about $30.

The price difference between buying the two games separately is only about $2, so I'm wondering if I really need to have them on separate discs or not. It does allow me to feel as if I'm doing right by senpai Kojima if I buy them separate though.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 19, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

It's drat fun. I'm glad you got the burnout feel too. Hell you even do 'takedowns'. I don't know if I can justify paying full price considering that I still have to get HZD and Dad of War but is on top of my list now.

I'll buy it new. I've been waiting a while for a good arcade racer, and it's also the closest thing to deathmatch car combat I think we're gonna get for a while.

The different vehicles actually have varying skillsets for battle S Y N E R G Y

Like, it's basically a team-based racing game meets fighting game, with rounds and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2hl_sZt62s

get hype

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 19, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, that looks fun.

Watching on my phone though, I do have one question about something that sometimes bugs me racing games: is it clear what the route is? Where the track ends I mean?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is MGS V Definitive out of print? Amazon only has it through third-party sellers (and none with Prime), and Best Buy only has the Xbox version. I could just buy it off the PSN Store, but I prefer physical copies since my internet connection is metered.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've finally taken the things some people have said here to heart and got the pack of old Kingdom hearts games. I hope it's true and that it is actually possible to know what's going in in preparation for 3.

I don't think I will finish 1 (just watch the cutscene movie) but playing the beginning again I am reminded of how slow and boring the intros to a lot of the JRPGs of that time were.

edit: pun retroactively intended

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 19, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol the opening of 1 is fast paced compared to 2

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I first bounced off 1 and when 2 came out I really enjoyed it, especially the "Press Triangle For Awesome" mechanic, but when I went back later I liked 1 much better. Just felt like it had more gameplay-wise - as far as RPGs go - than just pressing the attack button and watching Sora do a million pirouettes.

edit: and lol, the opening of KH2 is literally 6 hours long

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 19, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah...now I remember. I’ll probably just watch the recap of that one too, and then play the games I haven’t played yet, which is all the others.

Do they have insanely long openings too?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

THere is no fuckin chance KH3 will not have a 10 hour prologue focused on playing mahjong in a tiny white room with characters we've never seen prior that has a bittersweet/tragic ending that everyone will hate before we get to the Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

THere is no fuckin chance KH3 will not have a 10 hour prologue focused on playing mahjong in a tiny white room with characters we've never seen prior that has a bittersweet/tragic ending that everyone will hate before we get to the Good poo poo

Nomura falls ill and Squeenix calls in Yoko Taro to sub