Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Klyith posted:

yeah. people talk about the dumb AI stomping forward into their guns. it would be super-easy to program the AI to hold back and force the player to make those moves. it's a computer, it has infinite patience. but that would suck to play against.

on the flip side, this game isn't chess and there are some aspects that are much harder for an AI to make good decisions about. the thing that comes to mind for me is heat management. with any of the mechs that run hot, the AI doesn't make great decisions about when to "spend" its heat buffer. that's judgement and planning, which is hard for AI.

It would suck if every enemy was a camping tryhard, but it might be ok if just some were. E.g. Pirates could continue to deathcharge you, but maybe when you fight other merc companies they should act more carefully. I think there are already faction behaviour modifiers, but there could be more.

Unrelated, but is there a bug with the heat damage VOs? Someone my pilots complain about heat damage when they are still under their limits, so I wonder if the VO is set to play at a fixed heat level without considering the Guts overheat threshold modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

If you end up doing this, can you post the relevant lines in here? I'm done with the campaign, so now I'm gearing up to do a big modded second run and the PPC getting some small buffs is on the list of things that'll have to happen. I'm also going to use your evasion/to-hit changes from a while ago (probably with some tweaks, but they'll be based on your post).

code:
"stackLimit" : 3,
Stacks a +1 To Hit debuff up to three times, all of which last 1 turn. Tested and it works. Need to do it for each variant, of course.

Narsham posted:

Why not make the debuff increase with the target's size? PPC hits a Light mech? -5% hit chance. PPC hits an Assault? -30% hit chance. That would make them increasingly good as tonnage-per-side increases and would make the three PPC Awesome amazing in late game. You would feel the effects as a player, but factoring in Gunnery skill you wouldn't notice too much. And on the other side of things, being able to PPC six out of eight attacking assaults would be amazing.

You'd have to tinker a bit to get the penalties right. 5/10/20/30 seems like an easy starting place, but might end up being too high. And I don't know how the change would work in multiplayer.

This is something you can't do with .json editing, which is the extent of my ability.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 18, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

code:
"stackLimit" : 3,
Stacks a +1 To Hit debuff up to three times, all of which last 1 turn. Tested and it works.

Would it be possible to have a PPC+ come with additional debuff?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Would it be possible to have a PPC+ come with additional debuff?

Absolutely, just need to change the codes up. Are you thinking adding another PPC variant, or just changing the bonus on one?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Absolutely, just need to change the codes up. Are you thinking adding another PPC variant, or just changing the bonus on one?

either/or, just spitballing here

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

either/or, just spitballing here

I'll throw one together and see how it works. I'm thinking of changing the UI names of weapons to more accurately show their bonuses too (PPC +STB, AC/10 +DMG, etc)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

Yeah shoving in a single PPC always feels more convenient than "Maybe I can fit an AC10 and... huh I'm out of room already?"

I just keep thinking of how hot a close to stock enforcer felt like it ran compared to the Vindicator, when both the AC10 and Large laser (for as overly hot that it is) are individually less heat than a PPC.

Player stacking PPCs is a lot more effort compared to the AI bringing 4 panthers or multiple Shrek Tanks.

I remember one mission where the final living enemy was a Vindicator that spawned on top of a mountain, who had bulwark :v: Would have been less dragged out for them to have been replaced with a 3rd Orion.

I don't think I've intentionally put an AC2 or an AC10 on a single mech. I've never seen even a AC5+ either. 20s all the way!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I've intentionally put an AC2 or an AC10 on a single mech. I've never seen even a AC5+ either. 20s all the way!

I have an endgame battlemaster where the primary armament is two +stab ac5 an a +stab lrm15

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RBA Starblade posted:

I kept upgrading my triple AC5 Jager as I got better AC5s. That thing worked from Prison Break all the way up to after Grave Robbing (although I didn't take it on Grave Robbing, and I'm glad I didn't - thanks Darius for dropping enough hits to that effect in the mission description).

Also on the weapon changes, one thing to keep in mind is not to make the effects too weird and situational, because the AI has to still be able to use em too. Keeping them simple and equally applicable to most situations, and stock configs, is good. Like increasing the debuff or letting it stack? AI doesn't have to play around that. Making the debuff act differently depending on target? AI probably can't handle that so that's way more powerful for the player.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Made a PPC ++ that puts -2 per stack and added it to relevant shops, and I'll give myself one here soon. I'm worried that the -2 debuff might be considered different and stack to 3 independent of the normal -1, but we'll see.

Played a battle with my tri-ppc Awesome with the stacking debuff, and was regularly putting -3 to hit on bitches left and right. That's added to the penalty I already added to assaults for firing and moving, plus my changes to evasion, elevation, and size penalties. Can't be sure, but it did seem like I was taking less damage, especially from missiles, but I'll need to play more to see if it is worth it.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Unrelated, but is there a bug with the heat damage VOs? Someone my pilots complain about heat damage when they are still under their limits, so I wonder if the VO is set to play at a fixed heat level without considering the Guts overheat threshold modifiers.

I've been getting the same thing, in fact I get that bug all the time considered how close to their safe limits I run my lances.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I just did the second-to-last story mission and that was another example an annoying gotcha mission. Basically you have to destroy three buildings under a time-limit. What the briefing doesn't tell you is that these buildings are all successively higher along a steep cliff that you have to serpentine up, and that there's incoming artillery fire that'll block stretches of the road each turn. The only reason I managed to win that one was because I brought my jumpy Grasshopper along for shits and giggles, because DFAs are hilarious. That one was able to just jump up the cliffs and destroy those buildings single-handedly while the rest of my lance occupied the shitload of defenders. If I'd instead brought something heavier without jump jets, under the assumption that I'd have to punch right through the defenders, I don't think it'd have been possible to even get within sight of the last building before the time limit ran out. At least not without basically running past all enemies in the way and gambling that I'd get the objectives before they get through my rear armour.

OhGreatAGinger posted:

I've been getting the same thing, in fact I get that bug all the time considered how close to their safe limits I run my lances.

I'm pretty sure that's because the VO warning doesn't take the bonus from the Guts skill into account. So if your skill pushes the heat limit from e.g. 100 to 130, you'll still get the warning every time you get above 100 but stay below 130

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This is why I always have a jumpy scout 'mech, even if it's now a jumpy BattleMaster. I only managed to win the early mission where you have to keep the reinforcements away by blowing the control room because Glitch was in a Vindicator that could jump around the side and get there while the rest of the team fought a holding action on top of the hill. Since then I always have a jumpy scout, and I've rarely regretted it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm pretty sure the it told you (or at least me) to bring jump jets on that one. I usually didn't run mechs with jets other than the grasshopper, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Found a Mechwarrior who has the male version of Glitch's lines. Conclusion: what makes you sound fun as a 23 year old woman has a very different effect when you're a 30 year old man.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jedit posted:

Found a Mechwarrior who has the male version of Glitch's lines. Conclusion: what makes you sound fun as a 23 year old woman has a very different effect when you're a 30 year old man.

Isn't Glitch like 35?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Isn't Glitch like 35?

She's young at heart. :colbert:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jedit posted:

My male version of Glitch is called Rude Dog and he's very lovable actually.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Perestroika posted:

Man, I just did the second-to-last story mission and that was another example an annoying gotcha mission. Basically you have to destroy three buildings under a time-limit. What the briefing doesn't tell you is that these buildings are all successively higher along a steep cliff that you have to serpentine up, and that there's incoming artillery fire that'll block stretches of the road each turn. The only reason I managed to win that one was because I brought my jumpy Grasshopper along for shits and giggles, because DFAs are hilarious. That one was able to just jump up the cliffs and destroy those buildings single-handedly while the rest of my lance occupied the shitload of defenders. If I'd instead brought something heavier without jump jets, under the assumption that I'd have to punch right through the defenders, I don't think it'd have been possible to even get within sight of the last building before the time limit ran out. At least not without basically running past all enemies in the way and gambling that I'd get the objectives before they get through my rear armour.

Darius recommends to bring fast mechs to that mission (possibly even mentions jump jets). Note that a single firestarter or jenner will do - I had Dekker solo those objectives in an MG Firestarter while the rest of the lance slowly kept plodding forward keeping everyone busy. What the mission doesn't make clear is that the turrets are connected to the objectives - turret connections in general aren't properly indicated imo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DatonKallandor posted:

Darius recommends to bring fast mechs to that mission (possibly even mentions jump jets).

I ignored Darius and brought only heavies and assaults. But they all had jump jets which was good enough. Didn't realize the turrets were connected though or I could have been a lot faster.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah that second to last mission was easy. Well I mean the opposition was because I had a King Crab, the Highlander, and two Orion's. But I had no problem with time since everyone was jumpy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Perestroika posted:

Did you not look at the map once it started? You can detour over to the left to avoid the main road. I took an Atlas, Highlander, Orion, and Grasshopper and won with like 5 turns to spare, but I took the path to the left and nuked the poo poo out of everything in my path so maybe it was just luck?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Played a battle with my tri-ppc Awesome with the stacking debuff, and was regularly putting -3 to hit on bitches left and right.

Can you see debuffs on enemy units?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yes.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Darkrenown posted:

Can you see debuffs on enemy units?

If you right click the unit, you'll get the armor display and buffs are icons below that window. Hover over a icon to get the tooltip on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw a King Crab for the first time and my Highlander headshot it for the third time in the campaign.

Good job Gauss Rifle you redeemed your poo poo luck in the last thirty hours

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How does one go about editing the .json files to make Large Laser/PPCs not suck again? And does it work with games in progress?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordja posted:

How does one go about editing the .json files to make Large Laser/PPCs not suck again? And does it work with games in progress?

I linked a very good utility upthread, use that. And yes it affects games in progress after a game restart

Edit: VVVVVVVV

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 18, 2018

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

This is really, really useful and the derived ratios are a godsend. Time to fine-tune this poo poo. :getin:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Darius recommends to bring fast mechs to that mission (possibly even mentions jump jets). Note that a single firestarter or jenner will do - I had Dekker solo those objectives in an MG Firestarter while the rest of the lance slowly kept plodding forward keeping everyone busy. What the mission doesn't make clear is that the turrets are connected to the objectives - turret connections in general aren't properly indicated imo.

I just used my grasshopper. It made it with turns to spare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just got my first Assault mech, a Stalker. Any good builds for it?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
4x LRM15

Probably LRM20 if you strip more armor

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
only gauss rifle, no ppcs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

4x LRM15

Probably LRM20 if you strip more armor

4 LRM 20, no jump jets, 6 - 8 tons of ammo depending on how comfortable you are with stripping armor.

Park it way in the rear. Give it to someoen who has multi-shot.

Knock everyone down forever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nice, I've been looking for a new missile boat. My main missile guy doesn't have multi though. I suppose I could give it to Glitch.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

4 LRM 20, no jump jets, 6 - 8 tons of ammo depending on how comfortable you are with stripping armor.

Fatapult

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Parking in the rear isn't always safe, though. I've had enemy reinforcements come in from behind, which would make a Stalker with toilet paper armor a pretty easy kill. Four LRM15s will still knock down pretty much anything (or at least set it up for a knockdown) and will leave you a respectable 1100 armor so you can get up in someone's face if you need to.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah. I think with the Stalker I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM15 and medium lasers and no jumpjets. It ran a little hot. I never liked under-armoring things but maybe others could get away with it.

edit: it was 2xLRM20 on torso and 2xLRM10 on the arms. I had ++ versions of the LRM10s is why.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 20, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

jng2058 posted:

Parking in the rear isn't always safe, though. I've had enemy reinforcements come in from behind, which would make a Stalker with toilet paper armor a pretty easy kill. Four LRM15s will still knock down pretty much anything (or at least set it up for a knockdown) and will leave you a respectable 1100 armor so you can get up in someone's face if you need to.

It's really not that big a deal if you don't leave it like half a map behind your main force

I think I ran into bad trouble with it something like twice and both times sprinting a couple of people at the stalker and sprinting the stalker forward was enough to not make it catastrophic.

At its best it's just hiding behind a rock or something that prevents LOS to it. It's not toilette paper armor - you have basically medium mech armor on all your locations . Good enough to keep you safe from the odd bit of LRM fire or the odd "oh gently caress" moment.

The only real problem is that if you draw a map that's really hot (desert or above basically) it can run hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
My stalker is 2x LRM20 2xLRM15, 6t ammo, and a lot of heatsinks. I couldn't fit jump jets in there comfortably and keep it cool AND armored up enough, but you can probably pick any 2 of those that you want.