Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1382580915

honestly this is something that should've been in the base AB+, the Void needs something to set it apart visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I couldn't tell you the last time I saw Pyromaniac...

2nd try gunning for The Forgotten it spawned in the first treasure room right next to the spawn.

:hellyeah:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unlocking The Forgotten was easier than I expected, just took a couple tries with Azazel.
He's a pretty cool character. Hard but in a fun way and they gave him some cool synergies. Getting Dr Fetus with him replaces his bone throw with taking out a bomb as he charges and then hitting it like a baseball when releasing the button. The bomb then does damage upon hitting the enemy in addition to the explosive damage. Another cool thing was getting brimstone, which replaced his bone throw with a brimstone orb that slowly floats forward. Neither of these interfere with just hitting dudes with physical attacks.
I always thought it would be cool to just be able to play the game like Zelda so this is a very welcome addition. Now I need to just suck less at this game.

I also appreciate that this booster pack added themed enemies to the 3rd versions of the floors to make them a bit more distinct in gameplay, like burning enemies in the burning basement and weird landmine dudes in the flooded caves.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 16, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite synergy thus far is with the Ludovico Technique (an item I always avoid).
The tear orb slowly homes in on enemies and you can bat it around like a skeleton tee-ball player.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I don't know why it took me so long to find this out, but just now I discovered that Dr. Fetus doesn't synergize with Epic Fetus in any way. This is kindof sad

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I swear to Edmund that the game is programmed to give you a Curse of the Blind if you've made it down to The Depths II with six minutes to go and some kind of reroll item or a way to warp out of the Boss Rush.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
The Forgotten has really been a fun addition, especially since I was down to the worst parts to complete for achievements (Keeper runs mostly). It got even better when I finally realized that when you're a ghost the skeleton body blocks projectiles. I've gotten in the habit of barely using the ghost, though, since I tend to just sacrifice it to get devil deals and have to play without it until I see another soul heart. Also melee is fun.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm dreading them patching out "stealing" devil room items with the ghost. I think it works real well as is. You sacrifice your long range ability for more power.

Ah well, sure someone will mod it back if they do change it. The Steam Workshop has saved the game for me, expecially some of the mods to fix...

Pez posted:

worst parts ... Keeper

Just one simple fix, making it so the more money you have increases your health bar, made the keeper so much better to play with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm dreading them patching out "stealing" devil room items with the ghost. I think it works real well as is. You sacrifice your long range ability for more power.

Not gonna be patched, it was included on purpose

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Drunken Baker posted:

Just one simple fix, making it so the more money you have increases your health bar, made the keeper so much better to play with.

Even if they capped it at 4, it would go a LONG way to making him fun.

The only reason I played Keeper for so long was that the baked-in tripple shot is quite nice.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I just had one of those wonderfully overpowered games where I beat Hush, Mega Satan, and Delirium on Hard in one glorious run with The Forgotten. That finishes him out for me, so back to my last few unlocks with Lost and Keeper :sigh:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkVT6dYprME

Pretty decent with Edmund about his future with the Isaac series .

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Today something clicked with this game and I've been dominating it. I spent the day playing Hard mode: I beat Mom's Heart 3 times, and just beat Satan for the first time ever. My last run was wild! I found about 5 pills each of +speed and smaller size. If it weren't for all my familiars following me I'd have not known where Isaac was. And on top of that I had Rainbow Tears changing my attack every few seconds and a laser blast charge up. There were some reeeaally weird lasers firing. This was probably my first game where I had a bunch of wacky things working together and it was a real treat. I loving get why people can spend 100's of hours playing this game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pez posted:

I just had one of those wonderfully overpowered games where I beat Hush, Mega Satan, and Delirium on Hard in one glorious run with The Forgotten. That finishes him out for me, so back to my last few unlocks with Lost and Keeper :sigh:

Whoa, same here.
I got boss rush, Hush and Delerium in one go. I think my base damage was 50 or something. I know that's not in the broken category but 50 makes short work of anything.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing I've still not really figured out is why delirium will sometimes lose almost all of his health

I think when he splits and you kill his split off piece it does a ton of damage but idk

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Grapplejack posted:

One thing I've still not really figured out is why delirium will sometimes lose almost all of his health

I think when he splits and you kill his split off piece it does a ton of damage but idk

It's a known bug that it's HP pool freaks out when trying to go between certain combos.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

I remember him turning into the little ghost makes bizarre things happen, but also one of the recent patches supposedly fixed those ghosts to not get treated like bosses so that might be a thing of the past.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In the midst of an incredible run with super high damage tears, never shot tears this fast, incredibly high health... I find the cursed eye for the first time and pick it up. I will never touch this piece of poo poo again my entire life. I can deal with the charged shots cause they charge nearly instantly, but this teleportation on damage thing is bullshit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cursed eye is the number 1 item to never get under any circumstances. even orbiting tears can be good with some synergies

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Cursed eye is a great item if you're Lilith, but it's pretty much crap for anyone else. If you accidentally pick it up then at least the teleport effect can be removed if you get black candle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wildtortilla posted:

In the midst of an incredible run with super high damage tears, never shot tears this fast, incredibly high health... I find the cursed eye for the first time and pick it up. I will never touch this piece of poo poo again my entire life. I can deal with the charged shots cause they charge nearly instantly, but this teleportation on damage thing is bullshit.
It's technically only teleportation on damage while charging, so if you don't charge between rooms... it's like 95% bullshit instead of 100%. You're not wrong.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Same reason I won't pick up the broken remote or cursed skull.

They suck the fun out of any game.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

At least you can drop trinkets, your only hope with Cursed Eye is either Black Candle or a D4/D100 effect to get rid of it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still on this bullshit run and I'm now in Sheol. I unlocked Shadow Baby... what is that? I'm not having luck with Google.

Edit: died thanks to that loving teleport bullshit.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 24, 2018

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One of the many co-op babies, i.e. meaningless.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm still on this bullshit run and I'm now in Sheol. I unlocked Shadow Baby... what is that? I'm not having luck with Google.

Edit: died thanks to that loving teleport bullshit.

It's a coop baby for player 2. That's pretty much all you unlock for playing on hard.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I stick to normal for unlocking new items?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

Should I stick to normal for unlocking new items?

Yeah. I think all you really need from hard is a mom's heart kill for each character before you're ready to unlock mega blast.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If nothing else, by the time you care enough about 100%ing the game to want to play hard mode, you'll be good enough that hard mode is no longer all that hard in comparison. All it really means (once you've aware of and able to deal with most enemy types) is that you need to be more careful with resource management.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm a bit weird and really like seeing people play this game informatively.
There used to be an LP (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823469) but it seems to be abandoned now.
Can you guys recommend anyone who plays the latest versions of this game informatively?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

There used to be an LP (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823469) but it seems to be abandoned now.
Can you guys recommend anyone who plays the latest versions of this game informatively?

I watch Northernlion on occasion. He's pretty good about using resource management strategies to grind out winning runs. The downside is he also sings song parodies and talks about inane poo poo because he does like 4 videos a day. I've definitely learned how to take smart risks from him though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I picked this up on PS+ years ago and have slowly worked my way through everything, including getting all the Lost achievements before the first expansion (so no free Holy Mantle).

I finally got everything in AB+ on a run where I broke the game with two Steam Sales and a Restock (and soon enough Chaos). I stepped out of a store with 100+ passives, fired one shot, and my framerate dropped to single digits while the screen flared white. Several seconds later when I could see again there was nothing in the room but dozens of pickups. It was amazing.

One hitch though: despite getting thing else, the actual 1,000,000% cheevo didn't unlock. Apparently the digital only PS4 version is glitched because they put a few extras in the physical version that are also required. After nearly four years poking away at this game that was such a downer. :negative'

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Kalenden posted:

Even though Xaiter's LP was made for the old flash version, it is extremely informative and most of the information is still useful. Although a lot has changed, the keys to playing the game well are still the same. His LP is what got me into the game and made the whole thing "click" for me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Northernlion is a (Canadian) national treasure. I'll never get tired of his inane ramblings.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Even though Xaiter's LP was made for the old flash version, it is extremely informative and most of the information is still useful. Although a lot has changed, the keys to playing the game well are still the same. His LP is what got me into the game and made the whole thing "click" for me.

He still streams very rarely at https://www.twitch.tv/honkimacat, but not Isaac.

Nilesy from the Yogscast got me into the game. I used to watch his videos in the Flash Isaac days. Of course now looking back on it, it's ridiculous how he'd split a run into multiple videos, but that was most likely due to Yogscast monetization policies back then.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Kalenden posted:

It's not abandoned, I swear! The new booster pack once again throws a wrench into things as i plan on how to resume it though...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PostNouveau posted:

I watch Northernlion on occasion. He's pretty good about using resource management strategies to grind out winning runs. The downside is he also sings song parodies and talks about inane poo poo because he does like 4 videos a day. I've definitely learned how to take smart risks from him though.

Northernlion's song parodies are like if Dunning-Kruger had a record label. He has had one or two across his thousands of videos that were slightly decent and thinks that means he should keep doing it. I'm very glad that YouTube added the "double-tap to advance 10 seconds" feature or I'd have stopped watching years ago.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey Isaac?
What's up with this boss room?

HEY ISAAC

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Hey Isaac?

HEY ISAAC

The worst part about those, is that they always set your devil deal chance to 0%, because there's no room for a door.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I swear this is the only game I've ever actually wanted to get all the achievements for and this is torturing me

Inzombiac posted:

Hey Isaac?

HEY ISAAC

All I can hear in my head is Griffin McElroy's voice saying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Inzombiac posted:

Hey Isaac?

HEY ISAAC

I had this room a few weeks back, a while before the latest update. Only ever seen it once, never seen a room where you have to spend 2 keys to clear it.