Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MokBa posted:

Link's Awakening 3D might be happening.

THIS BETTER loving HAPPEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest piece of advice for beginners is that you should follow the main questline, and that skyrimming over everything is a task best saved for later.

If you have the DLC, the sidequests that tell you to look for rumors and direct you to a location should be done asap.

You get the locations of some very good armor that have useful abilities.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Calaveron posted:

What when where how

Very fake e3 leaks

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Yes there is, and that's following a walkthrough or guide to the letter instead of just wandering around on your own.

Wrong way to play : Encountering the first guardian outside the bomb shrine, and throwing bombs at it hoping to whittle down its HP.

It took me 25 minutes to realize it just wasn't happening and I eventually walked away.

No but seriously I'm avoiding walkthroughs and guides, but small tips here and there aren't bad.

Runcible Cat posted:

You could have just ducked behind balconies until they switched off, climb to the next one, repeat; cowardice works! Though I'm kind of in awe of you; I ran away from basically everything until I had to learn to kill Guardians to get to Goron City.

I went there too early and didn't have enough stamina to make it from one balcony to the next without the laser hitting, and since the lasers explode even if I jumped at just the right time it'd still knock me off.

That said, cowardice DID work for me. The guardian I killed was right next to a half-buried stone archway, so I would run up and hit it twice, then duck behind the arch to avoid the laser. Then run up and hit it twice and duck back. A cowardly but effective tactic.

I used up five or six weapons to defeat it this way, which is why I felt that I could use a tip on how to beat them without going through most of my weapons. But yeah, I'm avoiding spoilers and walkthroughs and trying it on my own pace but my own pace is usually to overprepare. Due to that I'm hunting down shrines like crazy before proceeding along the various quests.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Guardians are endgame enemies, they're not really meant to be taken on first thing. You totally can do it but all combat in this game leaves you at negative resources so it's super not worth it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Combat against unarmed enemies consumes resources, but combat against armed enemies is usually a net gain. That said, the amount of damage you do on a hit is literally the attack power of your weapon, and there's a way to see enemy HP directly that you acquire pretty early. If you can't do enough damage with your current weapons, try coming back later when you have access to better ones. (In general, weapon strength and enemy strength scale on the same basis, but Guardians are the exception: they're always endgame strength.)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Combat against unarmed enemies consumes resources, but combat against armed enemies is usually a net gain. That said, the amount of damage you do on a hit is literally the attack power of your weapon, and there's a way to see enemy HP directly that you acquire pretty early. If you can't do enough damage with your current weapons, try coming back later when you have access to better ones. (In general, weapon strength and enemy strength scale on the same basis, but Guardians are the exception: they're always endgame strength.)

I got the shirt that lets me see HP values after seeing the first memory, so yay for that. Kinda not looking forward to the point where I have to swap it out because its defense rating is super low, but still - yay.

Getting to the first memory (The ritual circle site just south of the castle) was harrowing as gently caress though, those walking guardians were everywhere there and I spent a fair amount of time hiding in ditches and crouched down waiting for them to walk away. And since I'm avoiding walkthroughs FINDING the drat circle was annoying, I only went there first because the castle was the only photo landmark I instantly recognized.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Reality Loser posted:

Very fake e3 leaks

Yeah that's why I said "might". Sometimes poo poo like this ends up being true though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

khy posted:

I got the shirt that lets me see HP values after seeing the first memory, so yay for that. Kinda not looking forward to the point where I have to swap it out because its defense rating is super low, but still - yay.

Getting to the first memory (The ritual circle site just south of the castle) was harrowing as gently caress though, those walking guardians were everywhere there and I spent a fair amount of time hiding in ditches and crouched down waiting for them to walk away. And since I'm avoiding walkthroughs FINDING the drat circle was annoying, I only went there first because the castle was the only photo landmark I instantly recognized.

Good news: that shirt is good enough to keep using throughout the whole game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Shield parrying takes a lot of patience/game overs to learn, but uses no durability.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

khy posted:

Good news is that that shirt has the highest defense value in the game as you upgrade it, tied with the knight stuff.

Only bad thing about it is that its not part of any sets.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

Good news is that that shirt has the highest defense value in the game as you upgrade it, tied with the knight stuff.

Only bad thing about it is that its not part of any sets.

The ultimate reward in the final DLC should’ve been a master tailor who could change the individual bonus and set bonus for any item of clothing.

Just let me have my triple stealth up + ancient proficiency hylian set please

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYGm7bdEU78

There are spoilers in this video for late-game stuff and the champions ballad dlc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

khy posted:

wait the Champion's tunic is what allows you to see enemy hit points? Jesus I never wore it in over 300 hours because I hated the way it looks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

khy posted:

I don't know sounds like you're doing it 100% right. Being cowardly early on is a great feeling considering what may happen later.

If you want some fun scary times go check out the castle.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know sounds like you're doing it 100% right. Being cowardly early on is a great feeling considering what may happen later.

Once you get some powerful weapons the power dynamic shifts CRAZY big.

Then you go hunting. :getin:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

wait the Champion's tunic is what allows you to see enemy hit points? Jesus I never wore it in over 300 hours because I hated the way it looks.

lmao

khy
Aug 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've had my fill of fun scary times by doing the elephant dungeon first. The dungeon itself was annoying but not bad, but gently caress that Lynel. Holy poo poo gently caress him so hard. I don't know how to perfect dodge him because I can't dodge left or right, his sword does a massive arc and when I backflip I'm out of range of him to retaliate with flurry. And then he does that bullshit lightning attack. Doesn't help that he has even more HP than one of those walking guardians.

I gave up after like 20 attempts to fight him and just snuck around to grab the arrows, but I felt like a failure. I am so looking forward to going back and wrecking his poo poo once I have higher defense and more hearts.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

khy posted:

I've had my fill of fun scary times by doing the elephant dungeon first. The dungeon itself was annoying but not bad, but gently caress that Lynel. Holy poo poo gently caress him so hard. I don't know how to perfect dodge him because I can't dodge left or right, his sword does a massive arc and when I backflip I'm out of range of him to retaliate with flurry. And then he does that bullshit lightning attack. Doesn't help that he has even more HP than one of those walking guardians.

I gave up after like 20 attempts to fight him and just snuck around to grab the arrows, but I felt like a failure. I am so looking forward to going back and wrecking his poo poo once I have higher defense and more hearts.

And then you cry when you realize that lynel is the lowest tier of that monster spawn.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

khy posted:

I went there too early and didn't have enough stamina to make it from one balcony to the next without the laser hitting, and since the lasers explode even if I jumped at just the right time it'd still knock me off.

That said, cowardice DID work for me. The guardian I killed was right next to a half-buried stone archway, so I would run up and hit it twice, then duck behind the arch to avoid the laser. Then run up and hit it twice and duck back. A cowardly but effective tactic.

I used up five or six weapons to defeat it this way, which is why I felt that I could use a tip on how to beat them without going through most of my weapons. But yeah, I'm avoiding spoilers and walkthroughs and trying it on my own pace but my own pace is usually to overprepare. Due to that I'm hunting down shrines like crazy before proceeding along the various quests.

Stamina food is your friend. Spending half an hour seeing what you can cook up and experimenting with effects is very very worth it.

khy posted:

That's not a failure - all the Zoras tell you to sneak not fight for a reason!

And yes, learning to wreck Lynels once you've got yourself a few upgrades is so satisfying.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
You're not expected to actually fight that Lynel, the cutscene showing Link quickly hiding behind a rock when it spots you and the Zoras telling you to avoid it should have told you that.

e:f;b

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
The elephant was my first main story dungeon and when I got to the king they mentioned shock arrows and I thought 'oh poo poo I'm super unprepared for this'. Since Kakariko sold fire arrows, I thought maybe another town would sell those. I ended up wandering around and eventually I found Lurelin Village. I sold poo poo till I got 50 shock arrows. Then I came back and it was funny when in the cutscene they went 'btw Link, be super careful with the Lyn- oh wait nevermind you're fine lmao'.

Anyway, here's my fun (?) BOTW experience:

So, after the elephant, I thought that maybe I should go after all the divine beasts. Second was the bird and third the salamander. After that, I stumbled onto the Master Sword, got 13 hearts, and went back to pick it up. I thought 'hmm, now that I have this maybe I should practice shield parry and start killing guardians to not suck at combat'. So I decide to go searching for those fuckers and marking them on the map to practice a bit before going to the camel.

After upgrading my inventory a bit, I end up wandering close to Hyrule Castle. I see one of those freaky black/purple pillars. I realize I can't climb them, but there are some spots I can stand on, so I use Falco's power up to get on top of it. Then I go 'eh, what the hell, maybe I can get some neat stuff quickly and leave'. I glide and end up near the top of the castle. I climb a bit and end up in an area called Sanctum. I see a weird vine/blob thing and Thunderblight Ganon shows up. Because I'm dumb I think 'oh, this is just a miniboss, okay, yeah, I'll warp out after this'. After suffering I see cutscenes and the game tells me 'here have some Ganon have fun' and I go 'oh poo poo i'm so not ready for this'. I ended up winning after using nearly all my shields and over 15 mighty and hearty meals.

So that's the story of how I accidentaly ended up beating the main quest way before I had any plans to do so.

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 19, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Great work!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zat posted:

I don't know if I want a Link's Awakening 3D because the original game is perfect, but I'm still intrigued

LA is not perfect (sadly). First of all, two action buttons is just not enough. You have to keep swapping the sword in and out. Secondly, the game is full of stupid repeating messages that crawl by with the astonishingly slow text speed.

Did you know that the compass has a new feature? And god help you if you brush against any pot without having the power bracelet equipped.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Did you know that the compass has a new feature? And god help you if you brush against any pot without having the power bracelet equipped.

the compass message is annoying but pot message doesnt appear unless ur mashin a button against it

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, but when the button is one of the d pad directionals, it can get quite annoying.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

LA has the pot thing, the compass thing, the attack/defense bonus thing. It is very bad about stuff like that. It would take the simplest of QOL changes to drastically improve the experience.

I loving love that game.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Amppelix posted:

LA is not perfect (sadly). First of all, two action buttons is just not enough. You have to keep swapping the sword in and out. Secondly, the game is full of stupid repeating messages that crawl by with the astonishingly slow text speed.

Yeah, I almost added exactly those 2 things as caveats in my post. But they still don't hurt it enough for me to not enjoy the game super hard forever, so a remake probably wouldn't be a better experience for me personally.

Not that there's any actual reason to think one is happening anyway.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 19, 2018

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

LA has the pot thing, the compass thing, the attack/defense bonus thing. It is very bad about stuff like that. It would take the simplest of QOL changes to drastically improve the experience.

I loving love that game.

Adding X/Y for 4 inventory slots would be enough for me, even if it's like a shell upgrade or they add a pink rabbit sidequest to get it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

the compass message is annoying but pot message doesnt appear unless ur mashin a button against it

i tried replaying links awakening a couple years back and quit literally because all it took to get the pot/rock message was to brush against it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

i tried replaying links awakening a couple years back and quit literally because all it took to get the pot/rock message was to brush against it

Yeah it's this and it drives me crazy

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

MokBa posted:

Yeah that's why I said "might". Sometimes poo poo like this ends up being true though.

:rolleyes: It's definitely fake but you know, it might be real!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I've never played Link's Awakening. What is this message I'm missing?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

I've never played Link's Awakening. What is this message I'm missing?

You have the equip the power bracelet to lift or shove rocks/pots. Every time you walk into one without the bracelet equipped a dialogue box pops up saying "wow this looks pretty heavy."

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's a lot easier to avoid than people are making it out to be. i think the attack/defense pickups are way more annoying because they're also accompanied by repetitive music

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A good weekend.

I finally completed my second stamina wheel, and now I'm going to try for 10 hearts before I do a second dungeon. I've done the elephant dungeon, and I got the white horse. I just need to find more shrines. I'm wishing that they were a tiny, tiny bit easier to find - I did the 'lake tower' and managed to find exactly 1 shrine by doing it. I found a fair amount of other shrines, and unluckily for me many of them (Like the one on top of the duelling towers) seem to be guarded by those big walking guardians. On the plus side, my abortive attempt at climbing the Akkala castle to get to the tower there has given me a fair amount of practice doing perfect blocks or parries whatever they're called against the sky guardians. I failed miserably to make it to the top, died countless times, and in the end I gave up but hey it was an experience.

I'm trying my damndest to do as much as possible without a walkthrough but drat the temptation is strong to look up where shrines are and just make beelines for them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

khy posted:

A good weekend.

I finally completed my second stamina wheel, and now I'm going to try for 10 hearts before I do a second dungeon. I've done the elephant dungeon, and I got the white horse. I just need to find more shrines. I'm wishing that they were a tiny, tiny bit easier to find - I did the 'lake tower' and managed to find exactly 1 shrine by doing it. I found a fair amount of other shrines, and unluckily for me many of them (Like the one on top of the duelling towers) seem to be guarded by those big walking guardians. On the plus side, my abortive attempt at climbing the Akkala castle to get to the tower there has given me a fair amount of practice doing perfect blocks or parries whatever they're called against the sky guardians. I failed miserably to make it to the top, died countless times, and in the end I gave up but hey it was an experience.

I'm trying my damndest to do as much as possible without a walkthrough but drat the temptation is strong to look up where shrines are and just make beelines for them.

They're really pretty easy to find, especially from the top of Towers. You can usually spy out 3-4 from a tower and on the way there pick up another two via land puzzles or whatever. Make sure you talk to NPC's in the stables, they give out a lot of shrine quests too. Lastly, if you really can't help yourself I'd check a guide just to see how many shrines there are in a region, but not where they are, just so you know if you need to keep looking or not, but that's really if you can't just keep at it.

I managed to find a good 90 or so just by exploring haphazardly. I found another 27 by combing through the regions and using the Hero's trail to seek areas I hadn't been thorough about. Of the last three I found two after narrowing the search via the above method and searching really really well. The last one I had actually found a long time ago, but I forgot to mark it on my map and just had to use a guide to find the area again. I kicked myself over that.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're really pretty easy to find, especially from the top of Towers. You can usually spy out 3-4 from a tower and on the way there pick up another two via land puzzles or whatever. Make sure you talk to NPC's in the stables, they give out a lot of shrine quests too. Lastly, if you really can't help yourself I'd check a guide just to see how many shrines there are in a region, but not where they are, just so you know if you need to keep looking or not, but that's really if you can't just keep at it.

I managed to find a good 90 or so just by exploring haphazardly. I found another 27 by combing through the regions and using the Hero's trail to seek areas I hadn't been thorough about. Of the last three I found two after narrowing the search via the above method and searching really really well. The last one I had actually found a long time ago, but I forgot to mark it on my map and just had to use a guide to find the area again. I kicked myself over that.

Finding stables has been a great source of shrines, since there's ALWAYS one near a stable to teleport to. Towers are hit and miss. Lake Tower had exactly ONE visible shrine. Other towers have been just as frustrating. And a lot of the towers are rather heavily guarded, it's been interesting trying to get past the guards in many cases. I'm amazed at how expansive the world is and how varied the terrain is, I try to stick to roads and explore but god drat I keep seeing something cool off in the distance and going offroad to check it out, then wandering to explore a giant chasm, climbing up high to find a shrine and paragliding down.

My next goal is finding warm clothing and clothes that will let me resist heat, so I can explore Mount Lanayru and the snowy area in the western part of the map. I got the warm clothes from the plateau, but they're 1 defense and not upgradeable at the great fairy, so I gotta find better ones.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

khy posted:

My next goal is finding warm clothing and clothes that will let me resist heat, so I can explore Mount Lanayru and the snowy area in the western part of the map. I got the warm clothes from the plateau, but they're 1 defense and not upgradeable at the great fairy, so I gotta find better ones.

go to the bird village, near the bird guardian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Had this for the wii u but I recently got a switch and what am I gonna do, not have breath of the wild on the switch?

This time I really didn’t feel like doing the long trek to zora’s domain, so I climbed up akkala tower, started a fire, put chili peppers over it to create an updraft, and descended upon zora’s domain from behind. :moonrio: