Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a real shame, the blocking perk on Zerk was a fun extra that rewarded a part of the game that was... not normally worth it, and took a bit of skill to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Foreskin Problems posted:

Summer beta is up. Blocking got nerfed really hard. Boxing gloves are good at least.

Is it blocking or parrying that got nerfed?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
The blocking action is crazy delayed. Your weapon comes up like a second after you actually hit your block button. I don't even know if the parry perk is worthwhile right now.

Also, guns got their damage nerfed and their weight increased across the board to promote the "upgrading" system.

TI was doing so well with this game...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If this makes it out of beta it's really going to make me glad I never play above Hard and usually just play on Normal

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

aniviron posted:

That's a real shame, the blocking perk on Zerk was a fun extra that rewarded a part of the game that was... not normally worth it, and took a bit of skill to pull off.

Not sure what you're talking about. I do know that blocking takes a bit longer to do now, but it was always definitely worth blocking with your knife, especially on Suicidal where you can die in two hits from a Fleshpound or a boss otherwise. It also knocked you away so you can run to safety as well.

The blocking action is crazy delayed. Your weapon comes up like a second after you actually hit your block button. I don't even know if the parry perk is worthwhile right now.

Also, guns got their damage nerfed and their weight increased across the board to promote the "upgrading" system.

TI was doing so well with this game...

drrockso20 posted:

If this makes it out of beta it's really going to make me glad I never play above Hard and usually just play on Normal
The game's much, much easier now with the upgrading system. Most people I see complaining are whining that they don't have self control and splurge on upgrading guns rather than buy the ammo they actually need or dying with their $4K weapon. An upgrade grenade pistol functions like a handheld rocket launcher, and a fully upgraded rocket launcher absolutely destroys bosses now. Anybody who says that the universal nerf to tier 3 weapons made the game harder either hasn't actually played the beta yet or is completely oblivious that their upgraded pistol now kills Husks in two headshots.

I do like the people who complain that I or other people decided to prestige. After about four games I'm already level 15 with the bonus XP. It's not like it affects them, anyway.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 19, 2018

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Can you tell a weapon is upgraded by looking at it? Or do the upgrades just buff the stats (no physical attachments / alterations to the base weapon) ?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

Not sure what you're talking about. I do know that blocking takes a bit longer to do now, but it was always definitely worth blocking with your knife, especially on Suicidal where you can die in two hits from a Fleshpound or a boss otherwise. It also knocked you away so you can run to safety as well.

The game's much, much easier now with the upgrading system. Most people I see complaining are whining that they don't have self control and splurge on upgrading guns rather than buy the ammo they actually need or dying with their $4K weapon. An upgrade grenade pistol functions like a handheld rocket launcher, and a fully upgraded rocket launcher absolutely destroys bosses now. Anybody who says that the universal nerf to tier 3 weapons made the game harder either hasn't actually played the beta yet or is completely oblivious that their upgraded pistol now kills Husks in two headshots.

I do like the people who complain that I or other people decided to prestige. After about four games I'm already level 15 with the bonus XP. It's not like it affects them, anyway.

To be fair I am a console player

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Theta Zero posted:

What. What the gently caress? Have you actually read the first patch?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

What. What the gently caress? Have you actually read the first patch?

Yes. Have you actually played the beta?

Severed posted:

Can you tell a weapon is upgraded by looking at it? Or do the upgrades just buff the stats (no physical attachments / alterations to the base weapon) ?

Sort of. As another player, no. The only way to tell if a weapon is upgraded is if the person owning it drops it--upgraded weapons glow yellow instead of green/red when they're dropped. As the player holding the weapon, there's three ways to tell. On the weapon select HUD, upgraded weapons have a yellow indicator showing how many time it's been upgraded. In the trader menu, upgraded weapons have icons indicating that the weapon is heavier, does more damage, costs more, and has been upgraded. The final method is using it and noticing that your dinky crovel gibs Scrakes.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
As a level 9 FB, I upgraded the mac 10 to level 5. I noticed it definitely had more punch, but I think you need to be a higher level to really see the wow factor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not a fan of the EDARs- they're tougher than Fleshpounds and they like to spawn in little groups. Also, one of the EDAR varieties is the Immobilizer, and for a game where constantly being on the move is absolutely essential to not getting killed, getting swarmed by three Immobilizers hitting you over and over with Immobilizer beams so that you can't escape or dodge incoming hits is really unfun- not least because those Immobilizers take a huge amount of damage to knock down. If the Immobilizer variety took a lot less damage it'd be something you'd need to prioritize quickly, which would be an added twist, but as it is they're way too much of a difficulty spike.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Agreed, Immobilizer is an annoyance.

That said, I managed to do the entire seasonal list in one Long Hard match on Airship as a level 16 Zerk with the Shock Strike or whatever the gently caress those cool fisting things were. Anyone else feel like they made Defense Objectives a LOT more lenient this go around?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also they nerfed the poo poo out of the husk cannon, but it's hard to complain owing to how overpowered it was and anyway they nerfed the hell out of a lot of good weapons, notably the Eviscerator. My real complaint about the weapons right now is that while I love the grenade pistol, and I love it even more once it's been hilariously upgraded, its ammo capacity is too low to use it as a main weapon like I want to past about wave 15.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

drat the quad barrel doomstick is fun

Broomstick/doomstick is a blast (literally)

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

alg posted:

drat the quad barrel doomstick is fun

Broomstick/doomstick is a blast (literally)

Can you use it like the double barrel to jump up to places you're not suppose to normally reach? Is the knock back twice the force of the double?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Can you use it like the double barrel to jump up to places you're not suppose to normally reach? Is the knock back twice the force of the double?

Yes and yes. It's rare that you can abuse that on normal maps, but just about every custom map you can easily break using the doom stick's increased knockback that's about double that of the double barrel.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there no rising storm thread?

Is it dead?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mans posted:

Is there no rising storm thread?

Is it dead?

There was at one time at least, so dunno on the latter.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yep I wanted to ask the same thing. The one I have bookmarked is archived.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Has anyone else noticed that the server browser is nearly empty? Last week I pulled about ~120 active servers (not empty). Today about 35.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I haven't noticed a significant difference. Though sometimes the server browser acts weird and I have to refresh it a bunch of times and/or change the filters though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Make sure it didn't reset your filters; new patches often do that. There are thousands of servers, but the filters narrow it down a lot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

New enemies are neat but apparently a buncha big babymen on the steam forums hate them because they can't process "Shoot the big glowing light in their chest and not their head"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I know I'm a lovely player but I don't think I'm actually detrimental to the team!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
So this is kind of like a COD zombie survival but better balance and more zeds?

And what is the point of winning. Do they do loot boxes or experience?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Turd Herder posted:

Fun, dress-up cosmetics, leveling your classes up and getting perks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The gameplay is fun enough to keep you in, no other incentives needed.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Guys why do I care about winning???

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's a pretty reasonable question about how the reward system works in this game, chill my guy

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kikas posted:

The gameplay is fun enough to keep you in, no other incentives needed.

this is disputable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

So this is kind of like a COD zombie survival but better balance and more zeds?

Some additional pieces of advice;

Please take every perk through the tutorial once, as you get a free level for doing so

The correlations between the difficulty levels and their recommended level ranges actually does matter somewhat, especially for Suicidal and Hell On Earth

Support, Medic, Demolitionist, and Berzerker I'd most recommend to a beginner as the perks to initially focus on

Please don't use a perk if someone else on your team is using it(especially if that perk is a Gunslinger, Sharpshooter, Survivalist, or Firebug)

If you're playing on a console version than Gunslinger and Sharpshooter will be a fair amount harder to use

Survivalist can be fun to use, but if your team is lacking a Support, Medic, or Demolitionist than you should probably pick one of those instead

Most flame based weapons in the game can create something called a ground fire, so for many of them(especially for the Caulk'N'Burn and the Flamethrower) you'll want to be aiming towards the ground when using them rather than the head or torso

For the first wave or two(especially on the lower difficulties) you'll be mostly wanting to be using either your knife or 9mm pistol to kill enemies as most of the enemies in those waves are really weak, so you'll make more money that way

If you have the room and money for it a Medic Pistol is always a good idea for any perk

Try to stay relatively close to the rest of your team

Don't bother with welding doors unless you are a Support or Demolitionist, unless someone playing as one of those perks asks you to help them weld a door shut

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Teams can have as many firebugs as they want.

Never play survivalist.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Please don't use a perk if someone else on your team is using it(especially if that perk is a Gunslinger, Sharpshooter, Survivalist, or Firebug)

Nah, people should play what they want. I mean sure, if your team is clearly missing a core perk (mainly Medic), you should consider being a cool dude and doing that. But a couple of Gunslingers or whatever is fine provided you can click the mans. And I'm definitely not going to complain about an extra Berserker Support or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Nah, people should play what they want. I mean sure, if your team is clearly missing a core perk (mainly Medic), you should consider being a cool dude and doing that. But a couple of Gunslingers or whatever is fine provided you can click the mans. And I'm definitely not going to complain about an extra Berserker Support or something.

If the rest of the team is fine with it sure, but suboptimal team layouts often lead to frustration and failure

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

drrockso20 posted:

Some additional pieces of advice;

Please take every perk through the tutorial once, as you get a free level for doing so

The correlations between the difficulty levels and their recommended level ranges actually does matter somewhat, especially for Suicidal and Hell On Earth

Support, Medic, Demolitionist, and Berzerker I'd most recommend to a beginner as the perks to initially focus on

If you're playing on a console version than Gunslinger and Sharpshooter will be a fair amount harder to use

Survivalist can be fun to use, but if your team is lacking a Support, Medic, or Demolitionist than you should probably pick one of those instead

Most flame based weapons in the game can create something called a ground fire, so for many of them(especially for the Caulk'N'Burn and the Flamethrower) you'll want to be aiming towards the ground when using them rather than the head or torso

For the first wave or two(especially on the lower difficulties) you'll be mostly wanting to be using either your knife or 9mm pistol to kill enemies as most of the enemies in those waves are really weak, so you'll make more money that way

If you have the room and money for it a Medic Pistol is always a good idea for any perk

Try to stay relatively close to the rest of your team

Don't bother with welding doors unless you are a Support or Demolitionist, unless someone playing as one of those perks asks you to help them weld a door shut

Thanks for all the input, this really makes this game sound fun.

I'm playing on PC. Do you all have a discord channel you play with each other on?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The alt fire of the Doomstick is amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vakal posted:

The alt fire of the Doomstick is amazing.

I still need to try it, only used the fists so far(which are pretty great)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The M99 is real mean, costs an arm and a leg and breaks the bank if you ever buy ammo, but it ends big boys.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Doomstick was a lot better in beta but it's still fun

M1014 is super good now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Finally got my prestige knife from when I did it in the beta, that's good.

Also I've been waiting to say this but I'm a little disappointed the upgrades are only to damage (except medic where they increase dart recharge) because I was hoping for a more robust system where you could maybe upgrade fire rate, reload speed, magazine size, but no.

It would've also been nice to have like a backpack upgrade to increase ammo capacity for all weapons, or carry weight, and grenade upgrades to carry more/increase their damage and armor upgrades (like +25 per tier, 200 armor would be tier 5 with scaling cost like weapons but lower), but that was probably too much to ask for.

Thank goodness they nerfed scrake and fleshpound waves in endless at least, and lol at the people crying about the EDARs even AFTER they were severely nerfed in beta. Are they annoying? Could they use some more tweaks? Sure. But they're meant to be mid-tier enemies probably between husks and scrakes so they're not going to fall over when you sneeze at them.