Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angepain posted:

I think that display needs to awkwardly explain its own joke another two or three times just to be sure

When Pan's Labyrinth came out every Wal-Mart had multiple signs taped up saying in big bold print "THIS MOVIE IS IN SPANISH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Guy Goodbody posted:

When Pan's Labyrinth came out every Wal-Mart had multiple signs taped up saying in big bold print "THIS MOVIE IS IN SPANISH"

Here in my country some people got really mad that Sin city wasn't in color. I dunno if the same happened in the US.

So yes, anywhere in the world, people can be very stupid.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Those are the same rear end clowns that got pissed off there was 5 seconds of silence in Last Jedi.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Desperado Bones posted:

Here in my country some people got really mad that Sin city wasn't in color. I dunno if the same happened in the US.

So yes, anywhere in the world, people can be very stupid.

When I worked at Blockbuster in the late 90s, we would have people come back angry at us because they picked up an indie new release that was filmed in black and white, and this was apparently unacceptable to them. Also had a LOT of people upset when they picked up a letterbox/widescreen copy of a film, and were confused as to why there were black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A university classmate called me up once in our 2nd year all ranting and raving about widescreen movies. I don't think I'd ever thought about it myself at the time, anyway I just said the first thing that came to mind, something like "but our eyes are side by side, it makes sense that our field of vision is wider than tall" and he was like "oh, right" and his entire rant just deflated.

Now I wonder what point he was working towards, "waste" of screen space on televisions maybe?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Every sign has a story.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I I liked the warnings they had to give for Cloverfield.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krankenstyle posted:

A university classmate called me up once in our 2nd year all ranting and raving about widescreen movies. I don't think I'd ever thought about it myself at the time, anyway I just said the first thing that came to mind, something like "but our eyes are side by side, it makes sense that our field of vision is wider than tall" and he was like "oh, right" and his entire rant just deflated.

Now I wonder what point he was working towards, "waste" of screen space on televisions maybe?

What a bizarre complaint, but I like that it was punctured after a moment's consideration.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Paper Kaiju posted:

When I worked at Blockbuster in the late 90s, we would have people come back angry at us because they picked up an indie new release that was filmed in black and white, and this was apparently unacceptable to them. Also had a LOT of people upset when they picked up a letterbox/widescreen copy of a film, and were confused as to why there were black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

The video store I went to as a kid had a sticky note on every single VHS tape of the animated Batman & X-Men shows that said "Hey idiot! I'm a cartoon!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Samuringa posted:

Every sign has a story.

Good on them. Tree of Life is a masterpiece.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What a bizarre complaint, but I like that it was punctured after a moment's consideration.

Yeah I remember I was expecting more from it but nothing came lol

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Dillbag posted:

Those are the same rear end clowns that got pissed off there was 5 seconds of silence in Last Jedi.

When I made a sizzle video for this company, the ceo complained when I faded out the audio for .5 seconds before a big hit because it sounded “like a mistake”. People are dumb

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Almost Blue posted:

The video store I went to as a kid had a sticky note on every single VHS tape of the animated Batman & X-Men shows that said "Hey idiot! I'm a cartoon!"

That is fantastic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A feature-length version of the Chappelle sketch?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Every sign has a story.

There's also an image of a sign outside of a screening of Sorcerer saying how it wasn't a fantasy movie and that it WAS in English.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samuel Clemens posted:

A feature-length version of the Chappelle sketch?

no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFc6I0rgmgY

Wendell
May 11, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There's also an image of a sign outside of a screening of Sorcerer saying how it wasn't a fantasy movie and that it WAS in English.

I thought you said, “of a screaming sorcerer.”

:(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gann Jerrod posted:

I I liked the warnings they had to give for Cloverfield.

This applies to every JJ Abrams film though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Paper Kaiju posted:

Also had a LOT of people upset when they picked up a letterbox/widescreen copy of a film, and were confused as to why there were black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Flash forward 20 years and now people are complaining about shows that were blocked and shot in 4:3 and only ever intended to be seen in 4:3 being released in 4:3 because there are black bars on the side of the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Guy Mann posted:

Flash forward 20 years and now people are complaining about shows that were blocked and shot in 4:3 and only ever intended to be seen in 4:3 being released in 4:3 because there are black bars on the side of the screen.

There's been a couple HD-remasters of 90s shows, and I think Seinfeld was reframed from 4:3 to 16:10 or something. I havent seen the new versions but I gotta wonder how they look to a complete stranger.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And then you have Malcolm In The Middle

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Samuringa posted:

Ok this is great.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg hahaha

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When i worked at an indie theatre we had tons of people who swore that the "stupid rear end projectionist" didnt splice the end reel to No Country for Old Men correctly.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Samuringa posted:

ok, I'm slow: what am i missing in the second screenshot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FoneBone posted:

ok, I'm slow: what am i missing in the second screenshot

That's not the actor for the youngest brother on the right.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Buffy widescreen "remaster" is also fun because not only are their crew in shots but it has vampires standing around in sunlight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wonder why they shot in a wide format at all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

OAR or bust. What they did to the 16:9 Simpsons releases is tragic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think when they broadcast old Simpsons eps they zoom in so it fits the screen.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I imagine if you're shooting on film and stock is already capturing images in wide format it's easier to just shoot that way and then edit it into 4:3. I know back in the day there was a lot more variance in how much of the actual image would show up on CRTs so you wanted to have that space on the sides for the broadcast as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte

That's also the reason why you see the bike chain at the bottom of the screen in that one scene in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy Mann posted:

I imagine if you're shooting on film and stock is already capturing images in wide format it's easier to just shoot that way and then edit it into 4:3. I know back in the day there was a lot more variance in how much of the actual image would show up on CRTs so you wanted to have that space on the sides for the broadcast as well.

Babylon 5 was framed for 16:9 to future proof it but then all the VFX shots were made in 4:3. It's a source of great aggravation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy Mann posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte

That's also the reason why you see the bike chain at the bottom of the screen in that one scene in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Also the scene where Pee-Wee going down the road at night, passing all the street signs, you can see that the signs are all on a track and are being pulled to convey motion

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I think when they broadcast old Simpsons eps they zoom in so it fits the screen.

They do, which immediately killed a bunch of sight gags, like the Sneed's Feed & Seed sign.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nobody makes 4:3 aspect 35mm film stock?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
35mm is inherently 4:3 unless you're shooting with anamorphic lenses, which squeezes the picture so that when you project it back though an anamorphic lens it becomes "ultra wide" or anywhere from 2.35 to 2.40 to 1.

Most of the TV series were probably shot 16mm, though. 35mm is usually too expensive for television. Probably 4-perf 4x3(ish) although you can "force" widescreen (and use 25% less stock) by shooting 3-perf.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dillbag posted:

35mm is inherently 4:3 unless you're shooting with anamorphic lenses, which squeezes the picture so that when you project it back though an anamorphic lens it becomes "ultra wide" or anywhere from 2.35 to 2.40 to 1.

This is incorrect, film has no "inherent" aspect ratio, ratio is determined by the film gate and anamorphic distortion.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yehhhh semantics but I probably should have said traditionally instead of inherently

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I don't really watch cartoons and I've never watched the original show but I see this getting poo poo on hard online and it looks adorable as gently caress tho?