Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

But now you don't have to intentionally gimp your raid by playing a class you are still learning/undergeared on, just to get better gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Why does it matter to you?

Because new players have to do it which means more experienced players kind of need to roulette into it to make it not the worst checkpoint/bottleneck for newer characters/players and it would be really cool if they could make it a not painful, perhaps even fun, experience for both groups!

Note: I say this as someone that does it regularly for the exp and generally just watches DS9 while cutscenes roll. Yes I can entertain myself doing other things while I'm hard locked into doing nothing in game, but that doesn't mean this is the best possible solution and it doesn't make it not boring.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 19, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vadoc posted:

Not that the loving thing ever dropped for me anytime I did run it as a tank except for the head, and that's the one piece I didn't care about.

I had a post ready to air my own grievance, but then I managed to snag the fusilier mask I wanted on the rabanuey I ran. :v:

Oh well, have some penitence pics.

And haven't cleared yet, but still having fun with the clown.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
christ those are some good screenshots

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, I need to spend some time learning how to gpose well. I wish I could take screenshots half that good, drat.

That's a neat vest you're wearing in that God Kefka pic, by the way. :v:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I usually try and get funny pics of when I wipe during unsynced content with friends. Some good shiva's.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I had to take an extended break from the game and just recently came back and while I'm certain this is probably opening a can of worms I gotta say it: What the gently caress is up with Eureka? Why is a mix of FFXI and Diadem considered to be a positive thing in 2018? :negative:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

I had to take an extended break from the game and just recently came back and while I'm certain this is probably opening a can of worms I gotta say it: What the gently caress is up with Eureka? Why is a mix of FFXI and Diadem considered to be a positive thing in 2018? :negative:

Most people don't think it is a positive thing. Those that do (me) were broken on a fundamental level by grinding games of the past.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vanderdeath posted:

Probably a mix of nostalgia poisoning and perhaps the Japanese market having different tastes. I actually wouldn't be shocked if the FFXIV planning policy is basically "now that we've established our own identity we actually can include some indulgent grind-a-thons."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Some people like breaking up the monotony of duty roulettes with the monotony of Eureka. I think they're dumb.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Vanderdeath posted:

On the whole it's not.

Some players had been making an argument, over time, that all content in XIV hewed to a modern style which was more simplistic and easily conquered, farmed, forgotten, and that this wasn't necessarily the best idea. They aren't entirely wrong because there is a legitimate criticism to be made about the sheer volume of content which is left behind and forgotten in the perpetual treadmill that is XIV's update process. This is mitigated a bit by SE consistently, reliably adding more tread to the treadmill every 3-4 months like clockwork for years.

But the argument held a bit of water. So when coming up with battle content for SB the devs took a couple common critical comments - the above complaint, as well as complaints that all relic progress in previous expansions was endlessly rehashing old content in a boring grind. So they decide to address this in Eureka, which for all it's faults is at least brand new, and by keeping it entirely segregated from the rest of the game they can tweak it's internal progression to be something more like FFXI - longer time requirements, slower progression, a sense of growing power over (most) of the play environment.

As is regrettably common with fresh XIV content ideas they bobbled the ball a bit. They looked at FFXI for things to emulate, checked off HUEG GRINDE and called it a day. They actively ignored a bunch of the mechanics that were in the FFXI content they were trying to emulate. So a lot of people don't like it because it's too simplistic a grind, and they REALLY don't like that Relics are now bound to this content for Stormblood, because if they want a relic they have no choice but to engage with it.

At the same time there are people who enjoy having a slow grind, enjoy the sense of gradual progression, enjoy slowly filling up storage with relics and gear. It's a lot easier to do multiple relics in this system then going through Light grinding, for example.

Fair disclaimer, I don't hate it as much as others, but I'm also not one of those people who liked it so much they have all the weapons and all the armor (I know some people who did this). It's a good sign that they have admitted the first Eureka was a bit threadbare and subsequent Eurekas will have more stuff to do to make the content a bit more varied. And considering that they're adding an entirely new area one patch later, and that we're expecting 4-5 patches worth of this, Eureka is definitely going to be big and expansive by the end. Time will tell if it will actually end up as well-remembered as PotD.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gonna laugh if they never nerf it though. Imagine doing SB relics at any point after SB.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Argas posted:

Gonna laugh if they never nerf it though. Imagine doing SB relics at any point after SB.

They've already said we're getting weekly challenge logs for Eureka that give "huge bonuses" of experience in 4.3, and the number of crystals needed for a weapon is trivial. It won't be too bad even if they never nerf it, which they absolutely will because of course they will.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rainuwastaken posted:

They've already said we're getting weekly challenge logs for Eureka that give "huge bonuses" of experience in 4.3, and the number of crystals needed for a weapon is trivial. It won't be too bad even if they never nerf it, which they absolutely will because of course they will.

The problem is that it's still a grind that only really gets going with other people. There's no level advantage of unsync to speed it up. I doubt the challenge log will be substantial enough experience.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So i decided I’m gonna go ahead and transfer to Excal to join a goon FC. Before I do, I noticed there’s a Gil limit to what your retainers can bring over. What should I buy that I can resell for tons of money when I get over?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Housing stuff, especially rare drops that you can hold off on selling for a while. Allagan pieces at vendor price are good as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

So i decided I’m gonna go ahead and transfer to Excal to join a goon FC. Before I do, I noticed there’s a Gil limit to what your retainers can bring over. What should I buy that I can resell for tons of money when I get over?
Check for allagan coins first, if you can buy them at/below cost that's you're best bet (remember to take tax into account)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't forget clear demimateria when buying up Allagan pieces. The clear demis hold more value per unit and people seem more likely to dump them on the MB for at or below vendor trash price. Why do they do this? Who knows, but may as well take advantage of it.

Since they are adding NPCs in 4.3 that give you better than vendor trash prices for your vendor trash, I've been buying up all unwisely marketed Allagan pieces and clear demis to flip them next week.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hmmm. All the allagan coins above vendor price and I can’t find anything that seems to be worth anything for housing. Do minions sell worth anything? I see people trying to sell Morpho at 5+ million. Is that just as wanted on Excal?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Hmmm. All the allagan coins above vendor price and I can’t find anything that seems to be worth anything for housing. Do minions sell worth anything? I see people trying to sell Morpho at 5+ million. Is that just as wanted on Excal?

It comes from a dungeon that isn't really run that much anymore since a lot of people avoid 50/60 roulette and it's just one duty in the largest pool in the game. Though it's solo-able now it takes a good chunk of time and the minion isn't guaranteed. I imagine HoH will see a lot of level 60-69 dungeon minion prices come down as they'll be from treasure sacks from it, much like the level 50-59 dungeon minions and PotD.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

The Black Stones posted:

Morphos are listed as low as 2.5m on Excalibur, so that's not a good choice. Maybe crafting materia, which are selling at 400k for command VI and 350k for competence VI.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Meiteron posted:

On the whole it's not.

Some players had been making an argument, over time, that all content in XIV hewed to a modern style which was more simplistic and easily conquered, farmed, forgotten, and that this wasn't necessarily the best idea. They aren't entirely wrong because there is a legitimate criticism to be made about the sheer volume of content which is left behind and forgotten in the perpetual treadmill that is XIV's update process. This is mitigated a bit by SE consistently, reliably adding more tread to the treadmill every 3-4 months like clockwork for years.

But the argument held a bit of water. So when coming up with battle content for SB the devs took a couple common critical comments - the above complaint, as well as complaints that all relic progress in previous expansions was endlessly rehashing old content in a boring grind. So they decide to address this in Eureka, which for all it's faults is at least brand new, and by keeping it entirely segregated from the rest of the game they can tweak it's internal progression to be something more like FFXI - longer time requirements, slower progression, a sense of growing power over (most) of the play environment.

As is regrettably common with fresh XIV content ideas they bobbled the ball a bit. They looked at FFXI for things to emulate, checked off HUEG GRINDE and called it a day. They actively ignored a bunch of the mechanics that were in the FFXI content they were trying to emulate. So a lot of people don't like it because it's too simplistic a grind, and they REALLY don't like that Relics are now bound to this content for Stormblood, because if they want a relic they have no choice but to engage with it.

At the same time there are people who enjoy having a slow grind, enjoy the sense of gradual progression, enjoy slowly filling up storage with relics and gear. It's a lot easier to do multiple relics in this system then going through Light grinding, for example.

Fair disclaimer, I don't hate it as much as others, but I'm also not one of those people who liked it so much they have all the weapons and all the armor (I know some people who did this). It's a good sign that they have admitted the first Eureka was a bit threadbare and subsequent Eurekas will have more stuff to do to make the content a bit more varied. And considering that they're adding an entirely new area one patch later, and that we're expecting 4-5 patches worth of this, Eureka is definitely going to be big and expansive by the end. Time will tell if it will actually end up as well-remembered as PotD.

I'm definitely worried about Eureka being barren whenever the next expansion is out. As a player that can only play for a couple of months at a time at best, I've already felt the sting of missing out on stuff during its heyday (Rival Wings come to mind). I'd like to get the armors and weapon for three of my jobs but, as it stands, I don't think I have the inclination or willpower necessary to power through.

I do hope it gets better with each iteration and is something that can be visited in the future. I don't wish ill upon it but it's still a head-scratcher of an idea in a modern MMO.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
How long should it take to get an invite code for an FC for discord? I thought maybe because I messed up and accidentally put in 2 spaces the first time, but I deleted the message and tried again and not getting anything.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's a neat vest you're wearing in that God Kefka pic, by the way. :v:

Like I said in a previous post I am desperate for more vests. Also more screenshots because I found stuff I'd forgotten about in my folder.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
how suitable is this game for leveling and questing with friends? I'm looking for an MMO to play with my siblings casually. I played WoW pre-Pandaria, but none of us ever really got in to end-game content. Is it easy to go through levelling with your buds and hang out? How easy is it to switch up your focus from damage to healer or tanking - should we try to cover our bases when we queue for levelling dungeons?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Impermanent posted:

how suitable is this game for leveling and questing with friends? I'm looking for an MMO to play with my siblings casually. I played WoW pre-Pandaria, but none of us ever really got in to end-game content. Is it easy to go through levelling with your buds and hang out? How easy is it to switch up your focus from damage to healer or tanking - should we try to cover our bases when we queue for levelling dungeons?
It's pretty casual friendly, although it can be pretty slow paced/easy mode at low levels if you have familiarity with WoW. That said if you never did raiding etc. it may not be a big gulf...

Switching your focus will require changing your character's job rather than stance or whatever, but it's not hard to level several things at once. Summoner and Scholar (a DPS and Healer class) share an XP bar, too, if someone wants to switch it up.

The usual limiting factors for dungeons are tanks, but you can't have multiple tanks in a 4 man dungeon.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Doing quests out in the world with friends isn't impossible, but like WoW, the game doesn't go out of its way to support it. The FATE system takes well to running around with a group doing poo poo, though.

On the other hand, there's a very robust level sync function, which means you'll never be unable to do a dungeon or other instanced content with them. Also, one character can be every class, so you won't have to feel like you can't play in order to wait for your siblings. (Tried leveling with friends in WoW and it kinda sucked for that reason.)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

Also, one character can be every class, so you won't have to feel like you can't play in order to wait for your siblings. (Tried leveling with friends in WoW and it kinda sucked for that reason.)

Yeah, but you won't have time to level more than one class until you're max level. Try to cover your bases and have at most one tank, one healer and two dps if you want to do dungeons with your siblings.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Impermanent posted:

It's fine. A lot of the (mandatory) main story is solo-only, but a lot of it also takes place in dungeons and stuff, so it evens out. There's no need for anyone to stress about overleveling or catching up to people because of the aforementioned level sync system. Standard "light party" is 1tank/1heals/2DPS. A little later on you start doing "full party" content with, essentially, 2 light parties. Also don't stress about what classes to play because you can be every class on one character and can switch anytime you're outside of an instance and not in combat.

The game will take a long time to become difficult enough to require paying attention because it was designed to ease Japanese players into WoWlike mmos. Please stick with it though, it gets so good later on.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Impermanent posted:

Fine but tedious. You are going to end up having to drop party, do a solo instance, and reform with some frequency but outside of that it's good.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also unless you want to be leveling multiple classes simultaneously, keep in mind that normal dungeon format is one tank, one healer, and two dps. Once you get far enough in the game you can quickly level another class up but in the beginning it feels pretty rigid

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, I need to spend some time learning how to gpose well. I wish I could take screenshots half that good, drat.

There's a couple of things to note about GPose that aren't immediately obvious:
  • The lighting options are applied based on the camera's current position. They're non-directional in the sense that they'll apply at the "feet" of the camera, but they do respect your Z axis. The different lighting types provide different radii, so you can place them at various distances away in order to generate more subtle lighting effects.

For this image, I had a fairly strong color type 1 light with a warmer tint closer to my character's face, and then a softer blue type 2 light positioned further away. You can see that the terminator for the shadows on the side of her face have a distinct, purpleish tint to them, which is a consequence of the larger radius of the type 2 blue light getting overpowered by the type 1 light until it starts hitting the corners of the face.

• You can actually use the movement keys to tilt the camera left/right/up/down. I didn't figure this out for a long time, but it helps immensely when you're trying to do strong perspective shots or create a better composition, such as with this picture:

• Creativity with emotes/actions and good timing can create a lot of moments that would otherwise be impossible. Spending some time experimenting with different emotes/actions, pausing them at random times, and then seeing how they look can create some cool-looking scenes. Here's one I bumped into completely at random when I paused Total Eclipse at just the right time:

Going together with all of this is that a good use of ReShade adds a lot to the final product. At a baseline, FFXIV has a badly washed-out color palette that robs the world of life and vivacity. The first two shots up above were taken with my basic ReShade settings, which don't do anything crazy beyond some basic saturation increases and a bit of sharpening in places. The final shot has a whole bunch of bloom/depth haze effects slathered on to it. It's good to have two different presets that you can swap between, because unless you're running a NASA supercomputer, the kind of ReShade settings that make screenshots look gorgeous will make your computer poo poo itself in normal gameplay.

(Unconnected to GPose, but you also need to take into consideration the complexity of the shadow map the area you're in has to get really high-quality screenshots if you're intending on using light/shadow differences in any real way. I'm not sure what they use to determine what areas get the highest quality, but certain areas have excellently smooth shadows, and others have terrible muddy flickering shadows.)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I haven’t gotten the code I was supposed to get in the discord thing when I put in that I wanted to join TPT. Is there any other way I can go about it? I’m going to sleep so can’t do anything now. I can try again tomorrow if need be.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bring it up in discord chat, and someone with permissions will get you sorted faster than posting here and playing voicemail tag.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that some exploration achievements were changed. So you don't need to explore the ARR areas fully anymore? They're uncovered automatically when you enter them? When did that change?

And why??

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That has been happening since some time in Heavensward.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I just noticed that some exploration achievements were changed. So you don't need to explore the ARR areas fully anymore? They're uncovered automatically when you enter them? When did that change?

And why??

super tiny!!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Did they add an aethernet shard for the uldah market area? I thought you had to make a run from one of the crafting guilds before

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That's always been there since I've started playing. There's one in Limsa, too, but not Gridania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Leatherworker's Guild aetheryte is nearly on top of the Gridiania market though