Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Volkerball posted:

You know those 5 seats made a huge difference to the point we couldn't even draw conclusions without knowing about them, but also we don't know anything yet because we don't know how the coalitions will shake out. One of these things is true at least. And it's not mutually exclusive with Sadr massively overperforming and gaining a lot of influence in Iraq politics as a result of this election. And learn numbers, fool. 25 is the same as 25 so there aren't any losses for Maliki over what was initially reported, and 54-47 isn't 2, so Sadr's lead over Amiri is more than that.

5 seats can make a difference when we are now talking about essentially two balanced groups between the two, 47 + 26 (yes 26) = 73 and 54 + 19 (al-Hakim) = 73 with Abadi's group being more of a king-maker than anything.

Sadr outperformed, fine, but that isn't quite the same as overturning the Iraqi political system. If anything his success might be from pulling votes from Al-Hakim and some of the smaller religious Shia parties (and I guess the communists did better than expected).

quote:

The message seems to be pretty blatantly "everyone but hashd and Maliki, get on board." Like I said, the numbers are tight, but if it happens it'd be such an amazing moment for Iraq.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

5 seats can make a difference when we are now talking about essentially two balanced groups between the two, 47 + 26 (yes 26) = 73 and 54 + 19 (al-Hakim) = 73 with Abadi's group being more of a king-maker than anything.

It'll take 165 to form the coalition, so that doesn't say much of anything. Until we see how the smaller factions line up it's impossible to tell. I wouldn't argue that 5 seats CAN make a difference, but you said they WILL make a difference. Your exact words were that they changed the dynamic completely. Total bullshit, which is why we are now moving the goalposts.

quote:

Sadr outperformed, fine, but that isn't quite the same as overturning the Iraqi political system. If anything his success might be from pulling votes from Al-Hakim and some of the smaller religious Shia parties (and I guess the communists did better than expected).

I never said it overturned the Iraqi political system. It certainly changes a lot though. I've already explained why in all those posts when I was weaving my web of neocon lies. And it's pretty obvious it wasn't about him gaining votes, but about everyone else losing votes to the boycott movement. As for the communists, I'm not sure how well ICP fared, but the articles discussing them seemed like they just couldn't miss out on a headline like Sadr allying with communists, because those all came thick and really early. I doubt they played much of a role, but who knows.

Edit: That post was accurate, and still is. Whether or not he will be successful remains to be seen, but it's not exactly a secret he is pushing for a coalition without Maliki and Amiri.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 19, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Volkerball posted:

It'll take 165 to form the coalition, so that doesn't say much of anything. Until we see how the smaller factions line up it's impossible to tell. I wouldn't argue that 5 seats CAN make a difference, but you said they WILL make a difference. Your exact words were that they changed the dynamic completely. Total bullshit, which is why we are now moving the goalposts.

I never said it overturned the Iraqi political system. It certainly changes a lot though. I've already explained why in all those posts when I was weaving my web of neocon lies. And it's pretty obvious it wasn't about him gaining votes, but about everyone else losing votes to the boycott movement. As for the communists, I'm not sure how well ICP fared, but the articles discussing them seemed like they just couldn't miss out on a headline like Sadr allying with communists, because those all came thick and really early. I doubt they played much of a role, but who knows.

Edit: That post was accurate, and still is. Whether or not he will be successful remains to be seen, but it's not exactly a secret he is pushing for a coalition without Maliki and Amiri.

I said it changed the "entire dynamic" which is that Sadr and his allies had an edge when in reality, they don't. If anything the two largest groups are balanced at the moment. (This is in response to a litany of escalating excited posts.) and it has made a difference in coalition building.

Also I think the whole thing about Sadr being able to form his own coalition is real sketchy would require Abadi to go with it since otherwise Sadr has to essentially recruit from across the Iraqi political spectrum. It doesn't make sense. While this would "completely change the political dynamic", it would also be a bizarre upset. (The change in the vote totals makes significantly less likely than it was since Abadi has even less of a reason to side with Sadr.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 19, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

I said it changed the "entire dynamic" which is that Sadr and his allies had an edge when in reality, they don't. If anything the two largest groups are balanced at the moment. (This is in response to a litany of escalating excited posts.) and it has made a difference in coalition building.

Also I think the whole thing about Sadr being able to form his own coalition is real sketchy would require Abadi to go with it since otherwise Sadr has to essentially recruit from across the Iraqi political spectrum. It doesn't make sense. While this would "completely change the political dynamic", it would also be a bizarre upset. (The change in the vote totals makes significantly less likely than it was since Abadi has even less of a reason to side with Sadr.)

I'm not going to waste any more time on this discussion, but for the sake of adding something interesting for everyone who has suffered through it, there's been no indication Amiri would back Abadi for prime minister. Abadi accused Amiri of being behind the murder of a security official during his campaign, and Maliki and Amiri both hate him. In an Abadi/Maliki/Amiri coalition, Abadi wouldn't be at the top of it. Sadr on the other hand will likely back Abadi for PM if Abadi signs up and agrees to drop the Dawa party label and govern as an independent. At the same time, this would allow Abadi to not ostracize the many Sunni voters in Nineveh who kept him so close to Amiri. Those two combined probably get enough support from smaller Sunni factions to break 165. It might be the only way for a coalition to form and I expect it's the result we'll see.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

I'm guessing this was the Israelis blowing up more Iranian weapons?

Some group no-one ever heard of claimed responsibility, but in a surprise twist, actually provided photographs from inside the base:

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/997833977544179713

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A glimpse of the future in Syria as it transitions to asymmetric warfare I suppose.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Brown Moses posted:

Some group no-one ever heard of claimed responsibility, but in a surprise twist, actually provided photographs from inside the base:

Well I've heard of Saraya al-Jihad. But they're Shia and Iraqi based, so that would be a bit odd.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brown Moses posted:

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/997833977544179713

Pictures inside the base which could come from any source. which is intriguing. which actor in this theater would need to disguise their clandestine actions as Militant islamists

הַמוֹסָד

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 20, 2018

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I don't think they typically give terrorist groups guided tours through Air Force bases. Maybe some Alawite AF colonel flicked his lit cigarette into an arms depot and is now desperately making up Twitter posts for a non-existent group.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sergg posted:

I don't think they typically give terrorist groups guided tours through Air Force bases. Maybe some Alawite AF colonel flicked his lit cigarette into an arms depot and is now desperately making up Twitter posts for a non-existent group.
That sounds incredibly improbable but you know what? Stupider things have happened in the past, so i will recognize you may be right on something here. At least about the guided tour of the AF base.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/997604763863801857

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Man it's almost like someone from this thread called this to a loving t.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But Tom Friedman and all the newspapers and a special magazine edition and Donald Trump all praised MBS as a reformer! How could so many people be fooled?

:thunk:

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 21, 2018

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

RandomPauI posted:

But Tom Friedman and all the newspapers and a special magazine edition and Donald Trump all praised MBS as a reformer! How could so many people be fooled?

He is a reformer - that doesn't mean that he is a radical reformer who will turn KSA into a liberal democracy on the spot.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Man it's almost like someone everyone from this thread called this to a loving t.
Ftfy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

He is a reformer - that doesn't mean that he is a radical reformer who will turn KSA into a liberal democracy on the spot.

I'm sorry, I meant my question to come across as sarcastic.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

GaussianCopula posted:

It's just window-dressing. He's setting the country up for a stellar transition from a nepotistic shithole to a nepotistic shithole with a larger amount of foreign investors. Didnt he announce some pipe-dream megacity with its own set of laws not "tied down by customs and tradition"? This guy is a sham.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Lol, Neom. Or is it NEOM? What a stupid idea. At least Masdar City was basically already in a major city already. And failed spectacularly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's a lot of these megacities going on (and they always fail but that doesn't stop new ones from being built) because it's basically a way to maintain the construction bubble going on.

Kind of like why Spain had a ton of useless airports that never saw any airplane.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lol I knew it, we're headed for a mixture of cheap consumer capitalism in the UAE mixed with the iron fisted police state of Egypt. What they've done with this is essentially signal that even the neutral voices and people who were trying to push for rights while still being pro-government is not going to be tolerated at all, it's either sing and dance for the regime or go straight to jail, no middle ground, this also has a very big chilling effect on social media people and youtube people who gained a large following in the last few years, the wife of one of the people arrested is the biggest social media and general stand up comedian in the country named Fahad al Buteiri, they're not even willing to accept neutrality anymore.

Living in hell is awesome.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah it's such a transparent 'gently caress you rights are from the generosity of your king, not because you deserve them as humans' message.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

if this doesnt signal that a conflict is absolutely on the way, then I dont know what does:-

-- US vows 'strongest sanctions in history' on Iran --

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44200621

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yknow I was saying a little while back that the idea that the Iraq invasion would be a suitable model for an invasion of Iran was flawed because Iraq was depleted by a decade of extremely rigid sanctions on a level that Iran has never even come close to.

So much for that if Bolton gets his way.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yknow I was saying a little while back that the idea that the Iraq invasion would be a suitable model for an invasion of Iran was flawed because Iraq was depleted by a decade of extremely rigid sanctions on a level that Iran has never even come close to.

So much for that if Bolton gets his way.

Iraq was never able to rearm and equip its armed forces following the beating they took in the Gulf War followed by a decade of sanctions. No matter what a war with Iran will give the US a bloody nose.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also, the rest of the world will go /batshit/ if the us invades iran on behalf of saudi arabia and israel, particularly following this series of fairly blatant provocations

like, 2003 is going to look tame and the anti-war left will see a legit renaissance all over europe

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm sure there'll be some unspecified Iranian provocation that'll get blamed as the reason for a wardec and that'll get enough morons chanting for a support of an invasion.

It's pretty much Trump's only method of political survival, I think. Without a war with someone (and by hiring Bolton and Pompeo blustering loud and clear, Iran is pretty certainly going to be that 'someone'), his bigly ego will just keep getting poked at for the next 3 years until his unceremonious departure. And that just won't do! Instead I'm fairly certain he'll think a nice war dec in a year or two's time during election period is a good idea and oughta do it to keep his cancer going for at least 4 more years.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2018

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've been out of the loop on this thread for a long while, but a map posted in the politically-loaded maps thread made me wonder: What are the prospects for Rojava if/when the rebellion is taken down by the government? Is it expected that the government then move against them, or will there be some kind of negotiated autonomy?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Golbez posted:

I've been out of the loop on this thread for a long while, but a map posted in the politically-loaded maps thread made me wonder: What are the prospects for Rojava if/when the rebellion is taken down by the government? Is it expected that the government then move against them, or will there be some kind of negotiated autonomy?

This thread mostly figures Assad will move against them.

Honestly is really hard to say at this point. Russia is heavily involved in negotiations, and Turkey is occupying a few parts of Syria right now. So there's not really a straightforward path to ending the rebellion.

I expect Rojava to live in a sort of autonomous limbo for some time, say 10 years. Eventually someone is going to move in and crush them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Iraq was never able to rearm and equip its armed forces following the beating they took in the Gulf War followed by a decade of sanctions. No matter what a war with Iran will give the US a bloody nose.

I'd agree in the short term, but the US, Saudi Arabia and Israel are all clearly making long term plans and 5-10 years of crushing sanctions would do a ridiculous amount to sap Iran's ability to resist.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Al-Saqr posted:

if this doesnt signal that a conflict is absolutely on the way, then I dont know what does:-

-- US vows 'strongest sanctions in history' on Iran --

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44200621

The grain of salt that I take with this is that this dumbass administration only possesses two types of adjectives for describing things:

The Worst Ever
The Best Ever

It's always one extreme or the other. So there's a decent chance they'll talk hard and deliver a sad little fart.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd agree in the short term, but the US, Saudi Arabia and Israel are all clearly making long term plans and 5-10 years of crushing sanctions would do a ridiculous amount to sap Iran's ability to resist.

I got to say, Trump, Bibi, and MBS: none of these 3 seems like long term planners. Trump is Trump, Bibi wants a distraction from legal troubles, and MBS rushes headlong into everything.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Bernard Lewis died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/obituaries/bernard-lewis-islam-scholar-dies.html

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Eat poo poo and rot in hell, bernard, you loving racist piece of poo poo.

also more saudi women get arrested:-

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/may/21/further-arrests-saudi-arabia-womens-rights-activists-driving-ban?CMP=twt_gu

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

rest in piss, lewis

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I got to say, Trump, Bibi, and MBS: none of these 3 seems like long term planners. Trump is Trump, Bibi wants a distraction from legal troubles, and MBS rushes headlong into everything.

Trump and Bibi are both extensions of a policy regime and political movements that existed before and will exist long after they are gone. SA meanwhile has been on a very clear track for most of the last decade where an eventual conflict with Iran is expected and being actively prepared forand there's zero reason to think that MBS is going to suddenly change that. If anything all evidence suggests a strengthening of that intention.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You know in France we say Dictatorship is "shut your loving mouth" and Democracy is just "keep talking, i don't care" but i wasn't expecting "Shut up bitch and keep driving" to ever make sense in any political context.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 22, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/CombatChris1/status/999174486619439104?s=20

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Good piece with all the developments in Iraq since the election.

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/05/iraq-election-abadi-muqtada-sadr-iran.html

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So yeah. Turkish Lira is having a terrible day. Anybody familiar with/can talk usefully about the Turkish economy?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-21/-god-help-turkey-says-brokerage-as-lira-goes-into-meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Spacewolf posted:

So yeah. Turkish Lira is having a terrible day. Anybody familiar with/can talk usefully about the Turkish economy?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-21/-god-help-turkey-says-brokerage-as-lira-goes-into-meltdown

Trying to build and maintain a neo-colonial empire is like HARD man.