Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/albertxii/status/997315052322439168?s=19

It never occurred to me until just now, reading this tweet, that's it's Cain Marko as in the mark of Cain and I feel so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

https://twitter.com/albertxii/status/997315052322439168?s=19

It never occurred to me until just now, reading this tweet, that's it's Cain Marko as in the mark of Cain and I feel so dumb

Hole-Lee-poo poo

I never made that connection.

Man, that's heavy handed in the best way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I only realized it last year or the year before and only because there's an issue of something where a character calls it out. I'm glad I'm not alone in missing the most absolutely loving obvious thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am actually kinda stunned to hear someone say they didn’t pick up on that to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I am actually kinda stunned to hear someone say they didn’t pick up on that to be honest.

I picked up the Cain thing right away but somehow "Marko" being "Mark of Cain" escaped me for a while.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

Listen, when I first read Ranma 1/2, I thought "Akane" was pronounced "A-Kane" for literally years until I saw a bootleg of the show. What I'm saying is that you should never underestimate a person's ability to be wrong about something very obvious for a very long time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I caught the Cain connection from the first time I read it but somehow I never made the "Mark of" connection with the Marko name and I feel dumb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my excuse is gonna be that i dont read xmen and when juggernaut comes up hes called juggernaut so the amount of brain power ive put into the name is minimal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for real tho black bolt's name is way funnier

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

for real tho black bolt's name is way funnier

He could be Black Bolto.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Other more obscure contenders:

The Vanisher, aka Telly Porter
Basilisk, aka Basil Elsks
Cyber, aka Silar Burr
Black Knight, aka Blackagar Knightagon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Black Knight, aka Blackagar Knightagon

That cannot be real.

Edit: I am disappointed google confirmed that this was not real.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Let us never forget the Rainbow Raider, Roy G. Bivolo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Archyduke posted:

Holy poo poo, this one was actually real. This is like a rabbit hole, but instead of the metaphor denoting a bad thing its denoting a good thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I once met a man named Richard Cox, imagine what his comic book alter ego would have for super powers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I once met a man named Richard Cox, imagine what his comic book alter ego would have for super powers.

There once was a man from Nantucket...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I mean if you consider his personal history it's not entirely inaccurate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if they every though of calling Peter Parker Peter Web, or Wesley Web or something.

Hawkeye could have been named Mark Taggart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if they every though of calling Peter Parker Peter Web, or Wesley Web or something.

CLINT fits him pretty good, especially if the letterist gets sloppy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hate Monger - H. M. Unger

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

S. Pied Dirr

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Archyduke posted:

This one owns, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never caught the Cain Marko thing but it didn't stand out because Stan Lee really loved using that last name on villains.

Cain Marko
Flint Marko
Man Mountain Marko

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Covok posted:

S. Pied Dirr

I was thinking S. Pider Mann.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hate Monger - H. M. Unger

Dell Rusk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I never caught the Cain Marko thing but it didn't stand out because Stan Lee really loved using that last name on villains.

Cain Marko
Flint Marko
Man Mountain Marko

One wonders if Stan Lee had a bully called Marko when he was a kid.

In the earliest notes for the X-Men, Cyclops's real name was going to be "Sy Klopz".

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Imagine, if you will, the Klopz Family Tree

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the worst or at least most pointless secret identity is Prince Adam, because a) Prince Adam and He-Man look identical anyway; b) there's no need to protect his loved ones because Skeletor wants to kill them all too; and c) why does he need to have a secret identity when Skeletor wants to kill Prince Adam anyway?

Other bad secret identity names include Werewolf-by-Night, whose real name is Jack Russell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Jack Russell is actually an amazing secret identity name. :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cabbit posted:

A lot of Morrison's run is best treated as if it never happened, so you're ahead of the game.

As much as I love Morrison, I have to agree, his X-Men run did near irreparable damage to the Marvel universe that it still hasn't really recovered from

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's rude to talk about Fantomex that way :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

As much as I love Morrison, I have to agree, his X-Men run did near irreparable damage to the Marvel universe that it still hasn't really recovered from

Aside from Jean Grey dying (again) Joss Whedon and M-Day undid almost everything from Morrison's run over a decade ago, and now there's two Jean Greys running around.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the only “irreparable damage” was the whiplash of undoing his run as fast as humanly possible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm actually a little surprised nobody's done a reveal where Juggernaut and Sandman are revealed to be brothers based entirely on them having the same last names.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheHan posted:

I'm actually a little surprised nobody's done a reveal where Juggernaut and Sandman are revealed to be brothers based entirely on them having the same last names.

Sandman wasn't born a Marko, he took it as a pseudonym. He was born William Baker, but when he met his biological father in prison, he gave him a fake name as a disguise. Though I do like the idea of Spiderman or some X-Person overhearing mention of an incident involving a Marko, assuming it's the wrong one, showing up to fight him and being in for a surprise, I wonder if that's be done before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

Sandman wasn't born a Marko, he took it as a pseudonym. He was born William Baker, but when he met his biological father in prison, he gave him a fake name as a disguise. Though I do like the idea of Spiderman or some X-Person overhearing mention of an incident involving a Marko, assuming it's the wrong one, showing up to fight him and being in for a surprise, I wonder if that's be done before.

Spider-Man has stopped the Juggernaut, but unless Iceman or one of the more powerful telekinetics (IE, someone with the last name Grey) are there, I could see the X-Men having some problems with Sandman.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Not a Marvel hero, but nothing can beat the Dell comics Dracula hero. His secret identity was Al U. Card.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

Not a Marvel hero, but nothing can beat the Dell comics Dracula hero. His secret identity was Al U. Card.

The U stands for Ulysses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I got the Cain part when I was like 11 years old but just got the Mark of part . . . three minutes ago.

I haven't thought of Sandman in a long time, he used to be one of my favorite characters.

• Locked thread