Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SuperKlaus posted:

Oh. Thanks guys, that's cool to know. I'm going to throw another pilot into the meatgrinder and try Reserve -> Move to Punch -> Go First Punch w/ Bulwark on this Firestarter that's claimed three lives and a million bucks of full-body repair work. I'll MAKE it work.

If you punch someone where someone else is in melee range and hasn't gone yet you're gonna get punched. That's death on a light mech. Run in for punch after reserving -> ace pilot shot and run away next turn works though.

I used a lot of Ace Pilot/Bulwark pilots in the endgame for my first campaign run - they were my go-to pilots for max jump jet heavies and assaults. I rarely used the Ace Pilot skill on them though but it's better than juggernaut, Evasive Move and Bulwark is a sick combination on jumpy assaults/heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jedit posted:

Then nobody would ever use a mech that couldn't mount missiles, because an LRM5 would strip all the pips with one shot.

I'm finally fielding a lance over 300 tons, having got the You-Know-What, a Black Knight, a Battlemaster and a Stalker. LRM70 Stalker is horrible for heat - should I strip a couple of tons of armour for sinks? Meanwhile the BK is configured for Disco Inferno and coring anything up to 55T with a called shot, usually.
I loaded up my game to see what I did with the LRM Stalker. I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM10 (I had some LRM10++/+++ was part of why I bet), 4MLs, and heat sinks. I think thread consensus would be to swap the MLs for more missiles and/or heat sinks. You can also take the special ones from the you-know-what, depending on what you did with it can run too cool if anything.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I feel like a lot of the over-engined mechs would be hella good in a context where you're fighting a war instead of just a battle

like you could have a lance of Griffins do hit-and-run attacks for weeks on an enemy force. Pop up, 4 PPCs/40 LRMs, run away the instant they return fire, can outrun anything heavier than them, maintain distance with the other fast 55-tonners, and outgun lights that can catch them.

Same with the LRM locust -- imagine a few of those launching some missiles at you and then scooting away immediately.

But in this game, the maps are too small/engagements too short/maps too hilly for that to really be a thing

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

I feel like a lot of the over-engined mechs would be hella good in a context where you're fighting a war instead of just a battle

like you could have a lance of Griffins do hit-and-run attacks for weeks on an enemy force. Pop up, 4 PPCs/40 LRMs, run away the instant they return fire, can outrun anything heavier than them, maintain distance with the other fast 55-tonners, and outgun lights that can catch them.

Same with the LRM locust -- imagine a few of those launching some missiles at you and then scooting away immediately.

But in this game, the maps are too small/engagements too short/maps too hilly for that to really be a thing

Yep, as it stands the smaller engined mechs basically have free space for JJ and end up with much more useful mobility than the larger engined ones anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

LRM70 Stalker is horrible for heat - should I strip a couple of tons of armour for sinks?
I did. Its not like its going to be shot at anyway, and even if it does, its still got a lot of armor. There's not much point to bringing 70 LRMs if you can't fire the drat things regularly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there any modding people recommend for quick-starting a new file?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So when are the clans being added?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Give me a really stupid looking support mech that squirts coolant on friendly mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Give me a really stupid looking support mech that squirts coolant on friendly mechs.

That would be the Firestarter.

Even though the Flamers don't use fuel in TT, it can equip coolant tanks and spray coolant out of the nozzles.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

DatonKallandor posted:

Actually you totally do get Bulwark after melee if you didn't move to melee.

That's what I remembered but then I tested it right after making the post and didn't get Bulwark, so :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pangstrom posted:

I loaded up my game to see what I did with the LRM Stalker. I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM10 (I had some LRM10++/+++ was part of why I bet), 4MLs, and heat sinks. I think thread consensus would be to swap the MLs for more missiles and/or heat sinks. You can also take the special ones from the you-know-what, depending on what you did with it can run too cool if anything.

I still have it in stock config. Not figured out what to do with it yet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Corbeau posted:

So when are the clans being added?

Definitely not until at least the 2nd major expansion, unless they decide to change their minds obviously.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My girlfriend misread Trebuchet as Trenchbucket today and laughed about it, having zero previous exposure to the series :shobon:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pattonesque posted:

Well yeah that's kinda a limitation of the game concept, what can ya do. Fast mechs would be a lot more useful in big maps that need you to scout around to find your mission objects/enemies through fog of war and maneuvering the hard hitters of your lance to fight them at advantage. That kind of gameplay would need maps that are way bigger and more than one lance being commandable at a time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Section Z posted:

Leave the poor AC5 alone in your rush to blanket nerf everything over LRM boats.

It’s not about LRMs exclusively, it’s about that one stat making controlling distance trivial because all your long range guns become brawling weapons too. Min range is an important lever for balancing weapons so longer range isn’t always better.

Starting a new campaign after getting 900 days in another makes this really stark. In the old one it was just close as fast as possible and even your snipers are getting in close. Closer is almost always better unless you’re facing a king crab.

In the fresh campaign you have to really think about optimum range with mechs like the heirloom blackjack. Controlling the fight so your mechs are in their optimal range is a big deal early, and it stops mattering once tactics gets high enough.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just played a 5 skull mission where I couldn't understand why it was 5 skulls. I was just gunning down medium after medium, with an occasional heavy. Last mech all the way in the back comes into view and it's a hundred tonner.

Now I have an Atlas. Ho Ho Ho.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Libluini posted:

-Decision at Thunder Rift
-Mercenary's Star
-The Price of Glory
-The Sword and the Dagger

The first three are a trilogy, so you should read them in order!
Hey, thanks!

Decision at Thunder Rift was the only one I read and it was so long ago I forgot it's name. I might reread it and check out the others.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just played a 5 skull mission where I couldn't understand why it was 5 skulls. I was just gunning down medium after medium, with an occasional heavy. Last mech all the way in the back comes into view and it's a hundred tonner.

Now I have an Atlas. Ho Ho Ho.

Those are the best missions.

The RNG is driving me crazy. I want some+damage AC-10s and they never show up. Headshots for the headshot God.

Are there any PPCs that get over 60 damage? I haven't seen any of those either.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I just mistakenly sold my +5 dmg AC10. Thought I was buying a second one :sigh:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Comments on this fit? I was landed with the 733P versiona and want to turn it into a nice brawler, with a little long-range capability. Are there any good sniper fits though? Also MLAS++ are obscene. Near-LL damage for a third of the heat and a fifth of the tonnage.

e; Alternate fit:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 20, 2018

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Chronojam posted:

My girlfriend misread Trebuchet as Trenchbucket today and laughed about it, having zero previous exposure to the series :shobon:

When you get one and Yang does the "blurb about the mech" bit he does mention it is nicknamed a Trenchbucket if that helps.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Organ Fiend posted:

Making you unable to do called shots with missiles would solve alot of the problems with both the tactics line and missiles in general.

They already have much better damage per ton/heat than everything else. The whole tradeoff is supposed to be that they scatter damage.

Honestly the big reason I used (Moral) called shots with LRMs is if I REALLY need to push back a target in the initiative bracket and I'm busy using my bots for other stuff or had already used em. Whether it's 30 or 60 LRMS you're more likely to have the majority of them hit torso sections anyways, compared to having a dicso bot you really REALLY want to hit the same spot (I do have comically bad luck with my Grasshopper backstabs in MG range deciding to spread as much as humanly possible though.).

I agree with drastically reducing the specific location targeting on LRMS though. But I expect if such a thing ever happened it would bleed over into SRMS because talks about missiles being too accurate often drags them down with them, despite the initial subject about trying to encourage brawling.

EDIT:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s not about LRMs exclusively, it’s about that one stat making controlling distance trivial because all your long range guns become brawling weapons too. Min range is an important lever for balancing weapons so longer range isn’t always better.

Starting a new campaign after getting 900 days in another makes this really stark. In the old one it was just close as fast as possible and even your snipers are getting in close. Closer is almost always better unless you’re facing a king crab.

In the fresh campaign you have to really think about optimum range with mechs like the heirloom blackjack. Controlling the fight so your mechs are in their optimal range is a big deal early, and it stops mattering once tactics gets high enough.

Yeah but how often is that honestly being done with AC5's rather than your Gauss/PPC/LRM boats? More importantly as you are bringing up the Blackjack, How often do you even use the AC2 outside of the Blackjack or maybe a stock jagermech? Max tactics is a bigger deal for the AC2 than a PPC after all.

I can easily agree that the gunnery stat does less things. But I'm also kind of glad it's vanilla enough to not have to obsess over it to reach basic competence, unlike a lot of games where maximum accuracy means you are still cross eyed while wearing an eyepatch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 20, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Idk maybe an LRM stalker is fun but I built mine with jjs, 4 srm6 and I think 4 medium lasers and just loving delete dudes

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Section Z posted:

Honestly the big reason I used (Moral) called shots with LRMs is if I REALLY need to push back a target in the initiative bracket

This is something that doesn't get talked about a lot it seems like?

It is really, really useful though. Moreso than the +1 from vigilance (not that vigilance doesn't have its place). Being able to lock out a unit from acting until you've shot it with everything is really, really helpful even if the aimed shot itself doesn't kill or cripple it. I pretty routinely use precision strike to knock stuff like Hunchbacks down the initiative order so I can side torso or kill them before they have a chance to accidentally kill someone.

In general initiative manipulation is one of the most important things in this game, and that goes beyond just knowing when to reserve.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fraction Jackson posted:

It is really, really useful though. Moreso than the +1 from vigilance (not that vigilance doesn't have its place). Being able to lock out a unit from acting until you've shot it with everything is really, really helpful even if the aimed shot itself doesn't kill or cripple it. I pretty routinely use precision strike to knock stuff like Hunchbacks down the initiative order so I can side torso or kill them before they have a chance to accidentally kill someone.

In general initiative manipulation is one of the most important things in this game, and that goes beyond just knowing when to reserve.

Even in a world of assault spam, the stock Jager A showing up still has more LRMs than the stock Stalker. Then earlier than that "Somebody called shot that loving Trebuchet before it knocks over my unstable heavy next turn."

...Wow I just realize a lot of my called shot LRM usage was to gently caress with the AI using sensor lock and indirect fire with THEIR LRM bots, and they don't even get called shots unless you fall over,

Like you said it also meant when I was loving up destroying the weapons on a hunchback with my own AC20 or Disco bot, I now had extra wiggle room to finish the job.

Of course if you are rolling with an all assault lance crying that you core things out too easily with your lostech, initiative concerns are no longer a thing without master tactics pilots.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 20, 2018

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Fraction Jackson posted:

You're absolutely correct for mid and early game, but once you're into the late game where you can either alpha/ignore everything with higher initiative or it's an assault, called shot is not used for this reason anymore. Vigilance becomes far more useful in the initiative war because you can't push an assault/80t/etc. back father than 1, and you're also getting a lot of free called shots via knockdowns. Hence the lack of people talking about the initiative advantage of called shot - I did use it a lot for that reason earlier in the campaign though.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Section Z posted:

Of course if you are rolling with an all assault lance crying that you core things out too easily with your lostech, initiative concerns are no longer a thing without master tactics pilots.

There are people who don't go Tac 2 on basically everyone?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You're absolutely correct for mid and early game, but once you're into the late game where you can either alpha/ignore everything with higher initiative or it's an assault, called shot is not used for this reason anymore. Vigilance becomes far more useful in the initiative war because you can't push an assault/80t/etc. back father than 1, and you're also getting a lot of free called shots via knockdowns. Hence the lack of people talking about the initiative advantage of called shot - I did use it a lot for that reason earlier in the campaign though.

Yeah with assaults in the picture I can see how it becomes less useful. I am playing with the one milestone mod so that the mid/lategame doesn't become all assaults, though, so it's a bit different for me I guess. The heaviest thing I've seen in the wild outside story missions is an Orion. I have The Thing From That One Contract and no other assaults. So it probably makes init manipulation more important for me than it is in a completely unmodded playthrough.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Since that weapon editor was linked earlier I have been playing with laser values trying to make the Large Laser competitive, and it's just too loving heavy. Why is it 5 tons? Of course, I could edit the weight but then all stock mechs will have wasted space making my mechs without wasted space even more powerful in comparison. Try to up the damage to a comparable damage per ton and it becomes the hardest hitting weapon in the game. Make it more heat efficient? Bad news, for the same weight you can have a MLAS and 4 heat sinks which ends up as negative heat. It seems to be for situations where you have few laser slots and lots of tonnage spare, but tonnage is precious and laser slots are plentiful :argh:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mods change my name posted:

Idk maybe an LRM stalker is fun but I built mine with jjs, 4 srm6 and I think 4 medium lasers and just loving delete dudes
Yeah that was my other build (basically). SRMs are vicious, especially the + damage versions with called shot. It's a great LRM boat though and they can also be handy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Darkrenown posted:

Since that weapon editor was linked earlier I have been playing with laser values trying to make the Large Laser competitive, and it's just too loving heavy. Why is it 5 tons? Of course, I could edit the weight but then all stock mechs will have wasted space making my mechs without wasted space even more powerful in comparison. Try to up the damage to a comparable damage per ton and it becomes the hardest hitting weapon in the game. Make it more heat efficient? Bad news, for the same weight you can have a MLAS and 4 heat sinks which ends up as negative heat. It seems to be for situations where you have few laser slots and lots of tonnage spare, but tonnage is precious and laser slots are plentiful :argh:

Ultimately the problem, and this dates back to tabletop, is that Medium Lasers are too good.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

In tabletop the LL is perfectly fine as a medium range skirmishing weapon. Not as efficient as MLs, but it actually has a role. Knockdowns also just depend on total damage taken rather than stability damage, so that flaw of LLs in this doesn't exist. Because missions are usually pretty short, ammo dependency isn't a problem for ACs/missiles either, which also reduces the LL's niche. And since mobility is less important for defensive purposes and the visual range is so short, there's really no purpose to having a medium-range gun to use while running around outside ML range, in part because if you're outside ML range you probably can't fire.

Basically the large laser is just an unfortunate casualty of the system and balance changes HBS made. The changes really do work in a lot of ways but something was going to get the short end of the stick on the rebalance, and it happened to be that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fraction Jackson posted:

In tabletop the LL is perfectly fine as a medium range skirmishing weapon. Not as efficient as MLs, but it actually has a role. Knockdowns also just depend on total damage taken rather than stability damage, so that flaw of LLs in this doesn't exist. Because missions are usually pretty short, ammo dependency isn't a problem for ACs/missiles either, which also reduces the LL's niche. And since mobility is less important for defensive purposes and the visual range is so short, there's really no purpose to having a medium-range gun to use while running around outside ML range, in part because if you're outside ML range you probably can't fire.

Basically the large laser is just an unfortunate casualty of the system and balance changes HBS made. The changes really do work in a lot of ways but something was going to get the short end of the stick on the rebalance, and it happened to be that.

oh hey good to see you

it's so wild that ac/5s are good now

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

oh hey good to see you

it's so wild that ac/5s are good now

this guy

And yeah I really like that standard ACs are viable now. It makes things feel right.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^^ Isn't it amazing how much better the game feels when the AC5 actually is the default good gun that every other 3025 mech assumes it is?

Darkrenown posted:

You can make medium lasers slightly worse, in damage, range or heat and then by comparison even slight buffs to the LLs are going to be sufficient. And if anything, that helps the AI because a lot of stock mechs run less medium lasers than they could and more large lasers than they should.

Personally I'm gonna check if I can reverse range bonuses for dedicated long range weapons, so you get a bonus at long range and a penalty a short range (and a huge loving penalty at min range). Make it really reward to stay in that sweet spot of range instead of everything trending toward perfection the closer you get.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pattonesque posted:

Griffins are fine mechs which carry engines appropriate for their size and you can already build a lance of jumping kiters if you feel like it. The gunboat mediums like the Hunchback and the Centurion mount what are essentially undersized engines to carry more guns, which is a worthwhile tradeoff, but they suffer heavily in their role as troopers if they start coming up against heavy mechs, which they cannot match in a direct fight but do not have the mobility to outmaneuver.

When we talk about 'deadweight' mechs we're talking about the mechs like the Dragon and the Victor - with the technology currently available to in the game's time setting, they are forced to devote so much tonnage to their engines that they often have the same or worse payload than the mechs they are trying to run with.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/128

Mod that sets Stability HP to 100+tonnage. Might be a really good fix for the insane level of knockdown you see as firepower increases.

DatonKallandor posted:

^^^ Isn't it amazing how much better the game feels when the AC5 actually is the default good gun that every other 3025 mech assumes it is?

You can make medium lasers slightly worse, in damage, range or heat and then by comparison even slight buffs to the LLs are going to be sufficient. And if anything, that helps the AI because a lot of stock mechs run less medium lasers than they could and more large lasers than they should.

Personally I'm gonna check if I can reverse range bonuses for dedicated long range weapons, so you get a bonus at long range and a penalty a short range (and a huge loving penalty at min range). Make it really reward to stay in that sweet spot of range instead of everything trending toward perfection the closer you get.

There are range based to hit modifiers in the jsons, but they are straight up and apply to everything. I'm not sure how you could do like an optimal range function for certain weapons

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 20, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do the morale bonuses from comm systems stack?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fraction Jackson posted:

this guy

And yeah I really like that standard ACs are viable now. It makes things feel right.

still isn't much use for the ac/2 but it's really hampered by the sightlines and spotting distances in the game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't imagine how lovely the TT AC/5 was if it weighed 8 tons and did the damage of an MLas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Night10194 posted:

I can't imagine how lovely the TT AC/5 was if it weighed 8 tons and did the damage of an MLas.

it's so loving bad