Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Indeed, the only way this film would be guaranteed to pass $2billion is if there was some pussy smashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Avengers: tony and quill very explicitly have sex

:five:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve been developing a theory that ‘shipping’ occurs when fans hyper-attuned to sexual (esp. gay) subtext encounter other subtexts that they don’t recognize or can’t fully process. So, like, Rogers being Stark’s employee, violating the Geneva Conventions to pay for his bland apartment, is interpreted as them just touching dicks together.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

see also the politics being too vague and confused (but conservative leaning) so they don't piss off the chud demographic.

The problem’s not that the politics are vague; they aren’t vague enough to escape scrutiny. The conflict in Avengers 3 is very specifically a false conflict between total (economic) stagnation and technocapitalist innovation - iPod revolution.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

Indeed, the only way this film would be guaranteed to pass $2billion is if there was some pussy smashing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve been developing a theory that ‘shipping’ occurs when fans hyper-attuned to sexual (esp. gay) subtext encounter other subtexts that they don’t recognize or can’t fully process. So, like, Rogers being Stark’s employee, violating the Geneva Conventions to pay for his bland apartment, is interpreted as them just touching dicks together.

You just realised?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So could scarlet witch have just killed vision to destroy the gem? If so she seems very selfish.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Vitamin P posted:

So could scarlet witch have just killed vision to destroy the gem? If so she seems very selfish.

She totally did that, dude.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

She totally did that, dude.

But could she have done it before all those wakandans died ?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Just murder the 2nd most powerful superhuman on the planet for unclear reasons when the doctor is half an hour from saving his life?

Yeah I suppose so.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

It's not unclear reasons it would stop Thanos, or anyone else, being able to use the infinity gauntlet. And how many lives are being lost to buy them that half hour?

'We dont trade lives' well clearly yer do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Alan_Shore posted:

Avatar and Titanic were all about the romantic love story

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Straight people get to see yucky heterosexuals date in nearly every movie released. People who are gay get like one gay relationship as a one second mention once a year in a film, so they have to take analogies as their only media representatives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Straight people get to see yucky heterosexuals date in nearly every movie released. People who are gay get like one gay relationship as a one second mention once a year in a film, so they have to take analogies as their only media representatives.

And historically, and also probably recently, it was a lot more common to have gay relationships implied subtextually or symbolically without being actually stated to get under the radar of censorship.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Billzasilver posted:

Just murder the 2nd most powerful superhuman on the planet for unclear reasons when the doctor is half an hour from saving his life?

Yeah I suppose so.

What exactly are (were?) Vision's powers anyway? It's been a while since I've seen Avengers 2 or Civil War. He flies and has that dope head laser?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

C-Euro posted:

What exactly are (were?) Vision's powers anyway? It's been a while since I've seen Avengers 2 or Civil War. He flies and has that dope head laser?

He can also just straight-up phase through matter. Used it to walk through walls in Civil War and rip Ultrons from the inside out in Age of Ultron. Once he got stabbed with that "Very Special" spear though, it seems his powers were jammed.

Gatts posted:

Avatar and Titanic were all about the romantic love story

Titanic, 1997: Off-screen gently caress and some boob
Avatar, 2009: On-screen alien gently caress and some bloob
Infinity War, 2018: Off-screen robo gently caress, but no groob. Come on, Hulk, take one for the team.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan_Shore posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-RBeDt2B0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ricdesi posted:

He can also just straight-up phase through matter. Used it to walk through walls in Civil War and rip Ultrons from the inside out in Age of Ultron. Once he got stabbed with that "Very Special" spear though, it seems his powers were jammed.

Titanic, 1997: Off-screen gently caress and some boob
Avatar, 2009: On-screen alien gently caress and some bloob
Infinity War, 2018: Off-screen robo gently caress, but no groob. Come on, Hulk, take one for the team.

Wouldn't that be Gamora? Or She-Hulk?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ricdesi posted:

Seems OP.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Vision is one of the most powerful Avengers and would be a moderately useful X-Man. He's Kitty Pryde with an exo-suit and laser pistol. More useful than Claw-Man, but less than Weather Witch, Mind Witch or German Bampher.

This is why the Avengers have always been kind of a crap team, btw. With the exception of Scarlet Witch every Avenger's power is some variation on "hits things good." Shield, Hammer, Thruster-Beam, Speedfist, Punching Glove Arrow... it all comes down to "hits things good." So Vision has a moderately useful ability where he can become ghostlike and float and then suddenly weigh as much as an irridium core and hit good(!) which is why he has to go haywire/die every story arc 'cuz he's too powerful. poo poo, Wonder Man... hits things good. The one X-Man they drafted was... Beast? They never even had the shrinking characters murder people in gross ways until the Ultimate Comics. In the movies Ant-Man only ever shrinks to... hit good.

Whereas in the X-Men you have a shitload of Utility Players like Iceguy, Exploder Thief, Girl Data, Human Battery Cop, Purple Ninja, Gimmick Stealer Lass, etc. Makes for far more interesting stories.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Tony hooks up with that reporter at the beginning of Iron Man, he's been a sex-haver since day 1.

Asterisk on this, as IM1 was pre-Disney. A bunch of convenient plot points to de-sexify Tony have come up.

He's now too full of anxiety to gently caress unless it was for procreation with Pepper.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't that be Gamora? Or She-Hulk?

Avengers 4: The One Where Bruce Bangs Gamora

C-Euro posted:

Seems OP.

Oh christ, yes. Soon as Age of Ultron ended it seemed clear Thanos was going to have to rip the Mind Stone out of his head, since Vision would be more or less invincible otherwise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vitamin P posted:

I don't get why people are hung up on this, it's the MCU so when we finally get casualty figures it'll be like "22 Wakandans died in the fighting with Thanos's troops, and we will avenge them."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Vitamin P posted:

But half of them died anyway though?

It didn't matter. The only stone that it seemed logical to destroy was the Time Stone if you can literally turn back time and keep redoing the battle until you get the rest of the stones.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Harime Nui posted:

Vision is one of the most powerful Avengers and would be a moderately useful X-Man. He's Kitty Pryde with an exo-suit and laser pistol. More useful than Claw-Man, but less than Weather Witch, Mind Witch or German Bampher.

This is why the Avengers have always been kind of a crap team, btw. With the exception of Scarlet Witch every Avenger's power is some variation on "hits things good." Shield, Hammer, Thruster-Beam, Speedfist, Punching Glove Arrow... it all comes down to "hits things good." So Vision has a moderately useful ability where he can become ghostlike and float and then suddenly weigh as much as an irridium core and hit good(!) which is why he has to go haywire/die every story arc 'cuz he's too powerful. poo poo, Wonder Man... hits things good. The one X-Man they drafted was... Beast? They never even had the shrinking characters murder people in gross ways until the Ultimate Comics. In the movies Ant-Man only ever shrinks to... hit good.

Whereas in the X-Men you have a shitload of Utility Players like Iceguy, Exploder Thief, Girl Data, Human Battery Cop, Purple Ninja, Gimmick Stealer Lass, etc. Makes for far more interesting stories.

Renaming my Taxes 2014 folder Girl Data.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Space Fish posted:

He also enjoys some robo-strippers in GotG 2, right?

Like every geek that goes to a strip club, he merely nuts in his pants.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Harime Nui posted:

Thor has some pretty useful lightning stuff. He doesn't even need a hammer to do it!
Also I like to think whoever designed Thor's new weapon played a lot of Terraria.

ProjektorBoy posted:

He's now too full of anxiety to gently caress

Don't doxx me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Isn't Thor's new hammer just exactly the Ultimates version?

But in any case I'm pretty sure the idea of a half-axe/half-hammer has been around since shortly after axes and hammers both were.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't Thor's new hammer just exactly the Ultimates version?

But in any case I'm pretty sure the idea of a half-axe/half-hammer has been around since shortly after axes and hammers both were.

In the comics, Beta Ray Bill (an alien who took over the role of Thor for a while) was given his own version of Mjolnir which was half hammer/half axe, and that was back in 1984.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Stormbreaker

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yo I know people are like why does thor even get a new hammer it invalidates thor 3 and blah blah poopy doopy, but if you didn't think Thor's new axe being partially made out of Groot isn't sick as hell, well you can just go eat some spiders, buddy

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I liked stormbreaker but I still thought it was a little silly how they just casually killed off all of Thor's buddies again. Like, would it have killed them to keep 142/Valkyrie around at least?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

Yo I know people are like why does thor even get a new hammer it invalidates thor 3 and blah blah poopy doopy, but if you didn't think Thor's new axe being partially made out of Groot isn't sick as hell, well you can just go eat some spiders, buddy

Come to think of it why didn't the hilt vanish

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

Cause it wasn’t on Groot anymore!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Presumably for the same reason Doctor Strange's cloak and Bucky's arm did

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't "invalidate" it per se because Thor 3's character arc was about getting his mojo back by realizing he didn't need a hammer while Infinity War is about getting a weapon that could kill a super-god, but it is kind of a muddy continuation.

The bigger crime was taking the hopeful ending of Thor 3 and immediately smash cutting to Thanos murdering everyone offscreen (until it's revealed in Thor 4 that Valkyrie and Rock dude went on a side quest just before that or whatever)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

So Thor and rocket can stare at it longingly next movie and make me cry

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Guy A. Person posted:

It doesn't "invalidate" it per se because Thor 3's character arc was about getting his mojo back by realizing he didn't need a hammer while Infinity War is about getting a weapon that could kill a super-god, but it is kind of a muddy continuation.

The bigger crime was taking the hopeful ending of Thor 3 and immediately smash cutting to Thanos murdering everyone offscreen (until it's revealed in Thor 4 that Valkyrie and Rock dude went on a side quest just before that or whatever)

Thor mentions in the film that Thanos "killed half my people", we don't see the Grandmaster's ship anywhere in the wreckage, for that matter we see that the Asgardian ship is in two pieces and Thanos only blows up the half that Thor was in, not the rear section of the ship, and Thanos' whole bit is that he kills half of the available victims. It's therefore perfectly reasonable to assume that Thor, Loki, Hulk, and Heimdall made a stand with the more combat capable survivors while Valkyrie and Korg and whomever else they want to bring back for Thor 4 (assuming that there IS a Thor 4 and that Thor survives Avengers 4) were left to defend the rest. (I'd say "women and children" but between Sif, Valkyrie, and Hela one can argue that female Asgardians are more dangerous than their male counterparts.) Either they escaped on the Grandmaster's Party Boat, or they're in the unblowed up half of the bigger ship.

Now the better question would be "then why isn't Thor going to find them all right away?" Which is a good point, but him being to traumatized and unable to see past what he's lost to recognize what he still has left fits Thor's character well, particularly since he can blend revenge with a legitimate "I'm helping save 1/2 the universe!"

What I do think was a mistake, though, was giving Thor a new eye. Keeping Thor with the eyepatch not only represents the wisdom he gained in the battle with Hela, but connects him with his father, especially since Thor has taken Odin's place as the leader of Asgard. Also, it looked cooler. :colbert:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Seriously hoping Lady Sif makes a return in the next one, she's been sorely missed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Thor mentions in the film that Thanos "killed half my people", we don't see the Grandmaster's ship anywhere in the wreckage, for that matter we see that the Asgardian ship is in two pieces and Thanos only blows up the half that Thor was in, not the rear section of the ship, and Thanos' whole bit is that he kills half of the available victims. It's therefore perfectly reasonable to assume that Thor, Loki, Hulk, and Heimdall made a stand with the more combat capable survivors while Valkyrie and Korg and whomever else they want to bring back for Thor 4 (assuming that there IS a Thor 4 and that Thor survives Avengers 4) were left to defend the rest. (I'd say "women and children" but between Sif, Valkyrie, and Hela one can argue that female Asgardians are more dangerous than their male counterparts.) Either they escaped on the Grandmaster's Party Boat, or they're in the unblowed up half of the bigger ship.

The whole sequence is kind of an example or where visual storytelling clashes with the exposited plot. We're told later that only half were killed but we're not really shown how Thanos spared the other half even in a rudimentary way -- even tho this would have been a good early opportunity to show his methodology. Were they sent off just before the opening in the Party Boat maybe? Were they sealed off in the unblown up part of the ship and left with enough provisions and fuel and workable ship to actually survive? If the latter is the case, why did they leave a bunch of their friends' corpses floating in space?

It feels like hastily added "Poochie died on the way to his home planet" exposition because all we see is scattered corpses from the after math of a battle followed by a big explosion, followed by the guardians seeing space wreckage and floating bodies. It's the same with the "74 casualties in the Battle of New York" thing: a way to white-wash what we're shown happening to make it more friendly.

But yeah, like I said, we will almost certainly find out that something else happened to Valkyrie assuming there is a Thor 4 and she signs on to come back, it's just a matter of, right now she's in Schrodinger's Cat limbo of being alive and dead until we're told what actually happened to her (assuming we ever are).

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Lol they just didn’t want to pay cameo fees to korg and Valkyrie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harime Nui posted:

I maintain that fights between mutants should be like Jojo Stand battles, with weird powers versus weird powers until someone wins by out-thinking or out-bullshitting the other.