Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Well poo poo, better set aside 4-6 tons on every mech then

Edit: that came off ruder than I meant it, sorry

No worries; just confirming that it does happen in rare cases. Kit your mechs however you like. :glomp:

I still think the most fun mech I played with was the fully melee Dragon when I first got it. At that time the thing was the heaviest mech in most fights, so having it rampage around at speeds almost as fast as a Light and then clotheslining other mechs into pulp was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Are there any plans to add a charge mechanic? Might help a lot of the over-engined mechs if you could shoulder-charge dudes with a Dragon

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Are there any plans to add a charge mechanic? Might help a lot of the over-engined mechs if you could shoulder-charge dudes with a Dragon
I was hoping they'd change Juggernaut to allow this instead of the -1 initiative effect. Maybe not the full length of sprint distance because that'd be insane with high piloting, but yeah, it'd be a really fun little trick for some mechs.

e: Honestly, the main problem with all the balance is that some mechs can be 5x the weight of others, and have more spare tonnage than other mechs weigh total. There's just no way those will ever be competitive. If mechs were clustered a lot closer together and the lightest mech ever was 50t, for example, the initiative and movespeed differences might actually make enough of a difference.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That'd be disgusting if the AI could sprint into melee, and skew things even further into the lurm/sniping meta.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How the gently caress do I install BTML? The github site says

quote:

Download the zip, and extact the entire contents (the .exe and all of the .dlls) into your \BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\Managed\ folder. Run BattleTechModLoaderInjector.exe

This is what's in the zip:

No exe

Edit: Nvm, I downloaded the source code instead of the release

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 20, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I still think different mission types are the way to go for making lighter mechs reliable

MW4: Mercs had that one mission where you had to stealth your way into a base, which you really couldn't do with a Fafnir. I dunno if that would work for this, but my first thought is that you could have a mission where your job is specifically to draw enemy mechs away from a base without destroying it or them, and then bug out to an extraction point before the weight of them overwhelms you. You could maybe do it with a bunch of King Crabs, but it might work better with four jumpsniper Griffins.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

That'd be disgusting if the AI could sprint into melee, and skew things even further into the lurm/sniping meta.
With much more frequency if the Juggy "Buff" comes with the possible prospect of flipping it's position with bulwark.

Pattonesque posted:

I still think different mission types are the way to go for making lighter mechs reliable

MW4: Mercs had that one mission where you had to stealth your way into a base, which you really couldn't do with a Fafnir. I dunno if that would work for this, but my first thought is that you could have a mission where your job is specifically to draw enemy mechs away from a base without destroying it or them, and then bug out to an extraction point before the weight of them overwhelms you. You could maybe do it with a bunch of King Crabs, but it might work better with four jumpsniper Griffins.

You kind of need map design for this as much as anything. Brigador has a wide spread of rides and while a short tank or mech can't fire over an office building, it can also use the hedge walls of a golf course to hide from visual contact. But the maps and detection mechanics are specifically built with this in mind.

But for mechs in this game, well... There are no stealth elements that don't start with "Stay outside radar range". You can't turn off your sensor's active mode to lower your personal detection radius like in the Mechwarrior games. etc. I guess The gimmick stealth mission let my lighter mechs hide by standing out in the open 1 hex away from 'visual range' for a reason

It wouldn't do anything for the appeal of light mechs viability if you gotta hide or the mission goal (and your flimsy Jenner armor) is hosed because you're a light mech. Just remind you how much of a pain in the rear end being a light mech is. Plus here, you can't combine clantech+Mouse aim to turn your little mech into something more dangerous than several AI assaults.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 20, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/37

Replaces the AC sounds with the old, meaty, echoing booms from MW4, turns the PPCs back into that weird shrieking whine, and mods MGs and missiles to the MW4 sounds as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/37

Replaces the AC sounds with the old, meaty, echoing booms from MW4, turns the PPCs back into that weird shrieking whine, and mods MGs and missiles to the MW4 sounds as well.

the PPC shriek from MW4/Mercs is my favorite version of it. It just feels evil.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Finally got a king crab. Trying a missile+laser version but will likely turn it into a 2x ac20 monster shortly. Trying the long range highlander and it feels anemic on damage. That Gun, ppc+++, lrm20+++.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a PPC that can do 61+ damage?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Finally got a king crab. Trying a missile+laser version but will likely turn it into a 2x ac20 monster shortly. Trying the long range highlander and it feels anemic on damage. That Gun, ppc+++, lrm20+++.

2x AC20, 6 tons ammo, 3x jump jets, and rest into heatsinks works really well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Organ Fiend posted:

For KC or Highlander? My best Highlander build has a wad of lasers and 20 tubes of SRM at minimum ++. With a bit of luck it can core a 65T Mech with one hit.

I also combined it with my Original Night Stalker LRM build to get the Double Kill achievement on two fresh 60Ts. I didn't even know that existed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Organ Fiend posted:

I have three king crabs right now, working on number four, so yeah.

The basic "works just fine" KC is as you describe. The jump jets are pretty important here just because they're very slow; it's either take JJs and be able to position across terrain features that would otherwise take two turns or require you to sprint, or uh, take JJs. Unless you can guarantee flat roads to work on, which you can't, the jets are worth the tonnage. It delivers a crushing amount of both damage and stability damage every turn like clockwork, and is the perfect place to put in your AC/20 ++ and +++ models you've been hanging on to. I have two like this.

I tried a few builds with a couple MLs in there instead of jumpjets and they just run too hot, and the tonnage for lasers, jets, heatsinks, and AC20s just doesn't work out. So the lasers had to go so I could use my ACs every round instead of every other.

My third King Crab is a 4x SRM6, 4 ML, 4 SL "get close to me and die" type; it has almost max armor, 3 jets, runs reasonably cool, and even with stock weapons can deliver almost 400 damage in an alpha at close range, 'only' 300 if I'm outside 90m. Mine has a lot of +damage weapons so it's delivering 500. It's obscene and I love it.

My fourth (which I don't have yet) will be my LRM boat and probably still have enough tonnage for some LL or PPC fire support and that's gonna be fine. I don't think the King Crab is the ideal lrm boat by any means but I have a theme to live up to here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a PPC that can do 61+ damage?

No; there's one PPC that does 60 and one that does 55.

AC/10+ (65) is the decapitation weapon you want.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
2x AC20 Kingcrabs are def legit especially as headhunters, but I'm a big fan of dropping one AC20 for some SRM6+++s, with maybe an LRM5 (handy w/multishot to topple mechs with full stab bars) or some m'lasers for more alpha.

And KCs definitely aren't ideal LRM boats due to having all 4 missile slots in one shoulder, but 50LRM plus Gauss or PPC is totally doable and still effective as long as you have JJ for keeping LOS.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've got a 2x AC20, 1 SRM6, max JJ KC at the moment and it works pretty nicely.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conspiratiorist posted:

No; there's one PPC that does 60 and one that does 55.

AC/10+ (65) is the decapitation weapon you want.

Pity. A PPC+++ that did 65 damage would be wonderful, and useful.

Apparently this game REALLY wants me to have Highlanders. I now have four.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a way to mod the morale system so it's not so loving stupid. You can spend $900,000 building upgrades for +2 morale but whoops you've got a wobbly seat -2 morale it is then.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aramoro posted:

Is there a way to mod the morale system so it's not so loving stupid. You can spend $900,000 building upgrades for +2 morale but whoops you've got a wobbly seat -2 morale it is then.

By the time you're even 300 days into the campaign it doesn't matter. You will max out your morale without even trying. If anything they need to tweak it so it decays over time and it's something you need to actively manage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

By the time you're even 300 days into the campaign it doesn't matter. You will max out your morale without even trying. If anything they need to tweak it so it decays over time and it's something you need to actively manage.

Yeah.

You can just overpay people early on in the campaign and it lasts forever.

:v: I am the new recruit! You hired me yesterday, because everyone on your staff is drat near dead and floating in Bacta tanks
:clint: Welcome. Tell me about how happy you are.
:v: I heard you paid people a lot of money a year ago, and thus I am super happy even though you pay me market rates now and threw me into your worst mech.
:clint: Good. Glad you're so happy for Good Economy Steves of this world.
:v: Can I get paid too?
:commissar:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even without that I've been maxed out at 50 morale for ages.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jedit posted:

For KC or Highlander? My best Highlander build has a wad of lasers and 20 tubes of SRM at minimum ++. With a bit of luck it can core a 65T Mech with one hit.

I also combined it with my Original Night Stalker LRM build to get the Double Kill achievement on two fresh 60Ts. I didn't even know that existed.

KC. With the ++ ACs a precision strike will straight up kill most heavies and light assaults (lol stock jagers).

I don't have any super optimized highlanders. I usually just run something close to stock and play it as a midrange harasser.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

aparmenideanmonad posted:

2x AC20 Kingcrabs are def legit especially as headhunters, but I'm a big fan of dropping one AC20 for some SRM6+++s, with maybe an LRM5 (handy w/multishot to topple mechs with full stab bars) or some m'lasers for more alpha.

And KCs definitely aren't ideal LRM boats due to having all 4 missile slots in one shoulder, but 50LRM plus Gauss or PPC is totally doable and still effective as long as you have JJ for keeping LOS.

AC/5s for a ranged sniping platform - PPC stats but without the heat, so they pair better with LRMs.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Psion posted:

I have three king crabs right now, working on number four, so yeah.

The basic "works just fine" KC is as you describe. The jump jets are pretty important here just because they're very slow; it's either take JJs and be able to position across terrain features that would otherwise take two turns or require you to sprint, or uh, take JJs. Unless you can guarantee flat roads to work on, which you can't, the jets are worth the tonnage. It delivers a crushing amount of both damage and stability damage every turn like clockwork, and is the perfect place to put in your AC/20 ++ and +++ models you've been hanging on to. I have two like this.

I tried a few builds with a couple MLs in there instead of jumpjets and they just run too hot, and the tonnage for lasers, jets, heatsinks, and AC20s just doesn't work out. So the lasers had to go so I could use my ACs every round instead of every other.

My third King Crab is a 4x SRM6, 4 ML, 4 SL "get close to me and die" type; it has almost max armor, 3 jets, runs reasonably cool, and even with stock weapons can deliver almost 400 damage in an alpha at close range, 'only' 300 if I'm outside 90m. Mine has a lot of +damage weapons so it's delivering 500. It's obscene and I love it.

My fourth (which I don't have yet) will be my LRM boat and probably still have enough tonnage for some LL or PPC fire support and that's gonna be fine. I don't think the King Crab is the ideal lrm boat by any means but I have a theme to live up to here.

Yeah, I tried lasers or srms with the 20s, and it was just too hot. 2 20s on a heavily armored jumping platform is enough.

I haven't made the ml+srm KGC yet because I already made the srm24, 4xml stalker, and it was just too ridiculously powerful.

I have 2 other KGCs. One has 2xac10, lrm20. It runs cold so I use it for consistent fs on martian and lunar maps. For other maps, the other KGC runs 2xac5, ppc, lrm20.

I have one more in storage. Maybe I'll break it out and see just hire broken the ml srm version is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aramoro posted:

There seems to be a lot of apparently vestigial systems in this game like that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fear

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I dropped M and S Laser damage by 5 points. Seems better, plus the AI gets a buff from it since they love to mount L Lasers

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Three skull mission to take out some old bandits in elderly mechs before going to Panzyr for plot purposes. Two hostiles spotted, a Victor (!) and Firestarter.

Freak headshot, knockdown, torso kill, and generous RNG later and I've suddenly got an 80 ton jumping mech that never fired a single shot at me. The Firestarter was the only other mech and it evaporated to a flurry of small lasers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Aramoro posted:

There's a handful of events that have a bonus option from various morale upgrades.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Picked up a gauss rifle on a mission, but can't find any place with ammo in the store.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Picked up a gauss rifle on a mission, but can't find any place with ammo in the store.

That same mission gives you two tons of ammo for it as well.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ravenfood posted:

e: Honestly, the main problem with all the balance is that some mechs can be 5x the weight of others, and have more spare tonnage than other mechs weigh total. There's just no way those will ever be competitive. If mechs were clustered a lot closer together and the lightest mech ever was 50t, for example, the initiative and movespeed differences might actually make enough of a difference.

The problem isn't how much variation there is in weights, it's just that movement really doesn't matter very much the way they designed things. I understand why they did things this way - the format, even for a tactical style of game, demands that more Things happen. So movement in this is really more about positioning to target locations/shield damaged locations, and evasion is really at most just a nice bonus that saves you the occasional hit but isn't really central to anything. Range and terrain have basically negligible effects on how easy it is to hit, also.

So the traditional survivability of light mechs and fast medium mechs - i.e. "lol good luck hitting me 3% of the time" - didn't make the transition to this format. As someone who has traditionally abused the poo poo out of that kind of strategy on tabletop I can't even say it's a bad choice, because really, no one wants to spend 20 turns slowly getting whittled down by a Griffin jumping back and forth at long range between clumps of trees. Removing that kind of poo poo makes the game a lot more accessible for new players and ensures that multiplayer is a friendlier environment. But by the same token, it's a design choice that relegates lights and fast mediums to "only use if I have to" status.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

That same mission gives you two tons of ammo for it as well.

Not this one, it was salvage from a wrecked mech, came with no ammo.

Yet Yang can apparently keep finding ammo for my Highlander....

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Not this one, it was salvage from a wrecked mech, came with no ammo.

Yet Yang can apparently keep finding ammo for my Highlander....

Oh, you found the mythical salvage Gauss Rifle? poo poo man.

Okay, you can buy ammo but it's really rare. Your best chances are in Yuris (9), Hurik (8), Victoria (7) and New Vandenburg (6). The number in parenthesis is how many rolls for special items that can correspond to the Gauss Ammo each store gets on refresh.

Each roll is a 1/731 chance to spawn the ammo.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd really like to see more procedural missions that benefit from lighter Mechs, ie. a hit and run style mission where you're up against time and movement is critical.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd just like more Mech variety in missions. Or even more vehicles and occasional mechs. Like a 4.5 skull with a Grasshopper/Orion and 8 to 12 vehicles or wiiiiide range (Strikers up to Demolishers)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I just want more variety in general. Plus a New Game+ mode where I can go anywhere and ignore the story.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Chronojam posted:

My girlfriend misread Trebuchet as Trenchbucket today and laughed about it, having zero previous exposure to the series :shobon:

Sever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Was also thinking it would be cool to have a non-lovely air game ala XCOM EW for an additional later of strategy/tactical resource management. Not sure if that is "lorefriendly" or what though.