Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is the most consistently entertaining thread in AI and goddammit when I get my poo poo together this year I'm going to import something from Japan for FUN and profit can be damned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

The whale sticker is fuckin rad

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
whats with the two door handles on the inside of the door?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks for the input guys... gonna see how this year shakes out financially but will be squirreling my 'fun' money away for something in the meantime.

quote:

whale sticker

Whale sticker is for some 3 hour long radio program, the snail one that reads ゆとりと思いやり is something like 'relaxation and compassion' (?)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hitze posted:

The whale sticker is fuckin rad

Whale sticker (one of) stays :colbert:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

slothrop posted:

Danthrax posted:

So rear-seat passengers can reach?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks for the input guys... gonna see how this year shakes out financially but will be squirreling my 'fun' money away for something in the meantime.

Whale sticker is for some 3 hour long radio program, the snail one that reads ゆとりと思いやり is something like 'relaxation and compassion' (?)

So its the equivalent of wacky local radio shows? That might be even more cool.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I recall in the 90s the local zany morning show had some contest where they'd pick some random car with a sticker for their station on it, and then give them a prize. Maybe it's from something like that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there something mounted underneath the stereo there?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

slothrop posted:

Like other people already posted, it's for the rear passengers. You press down the little switch under the passenger seat with your foot, the seat folds forward and springs towards the front. Then you can easily grab that second door handle and let yourself out.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Whale sticker (one of) stays :colbert:

Yeah, we kept the left side one as it was mounted straighter. We took off the other one on the right and it came off in one clean peice so it can be preserved with all the other stuff we've found. This includes: various hair ties, a ton of change, lots of old lady candies including way-to-dried ginger, and an old cassette tape.

Charles posted:

Is there something mounted underneath the stereo there?

An after-market AM radio tied into the speakers, of which there are only the rear ones on the tailgate. They don't sound spectacular, either because they are bad or because they are only ones in the system. I'm thinking we're going to remove them as they are hella inconvenient for doing anything with the cargo space back there and the wires running to them are just out in the open. I'd like to get some nice OEM-sized speakers, put them where they are supposed to be and maybe mount a shallow sub in the back somewhere if not just under the seats. I don't want HUGE SOUND I just want it to sound better than OK. The headunit is pretty cool looking but any tape you put in is played at like 3/4s speed while the CD player just seeks forever. I made a lil' video of it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/728cxWIToLG066Yu2

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So you're keeping it then?

:v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So you're keeping it then?

:v:

Of course! Till I sell it and do it all over again!
I mean an AZ-1 and this Surf as my cars sounds pretty great to me :v: :v:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

An after-market AM radio tied into the speakers, of which there are only the rear ones on the tailgate. They don't sound spectacular, either because they are bad or because they are only ones in the system. I'm thinking we're going to remove them as they are hella inconvenient for doing anything with the cargo space back there and the wires running to them are just out in the open. I'd like to get some nice OEM-sized speakers, put them where they are supposed to be and maybe mount a shallow sub in the back somewhere if not just under the seats. I don't want HUGE SOUND I just want it to sound better than OK. The headunit is pretty cool looking but any tape you put in is played at like 3/4s speed while the CD player just seeks forever. I made a lil' video of it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/728cxWIToLG066Yu2

Is that Minus the Bear I hear?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I Have a good feeling I won a skyline Friday night but nonword this weekend excited to hear tomorrow I bid high enough that I should have. Only rated a 3 and it is scruffy but just 60k miles and inspection showed it as being top notch mechanically with recent timing belt.

Edit: never mind it sold for an outrageous amount we actually thought I might win it for 100k I bid 280 sold 600 another skyline sold 75k yen day before oh well

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 21, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Is that Minus the Bear I hear?

Hells yeah, consistently one of my favorite bands going past 15 years now when Mike back in college introduced them to me.
It was cheaper for me to get 'Voids' as a tape plus digital download set than just the digital download. I had my Acty with the tape deck in it at the time so what the hell, now we use the tape as a test tape for decks in cars we get.

Omni is my fav album by them, but I also understand that a lot of people don't like that one so :shrug:

EDIT

As we were starting to dig into it for cleaning I popped open the fuel door for the first time.

A lot of the stickers are faded now of course but I'm pretty sure those are injector cleaners/detergent stickers for every time they put some in. This old lady really cared for this truck.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Hells yeah, consistently one of my favorite bands going past 15 years now when Mike back in college introduced them to me.
It was cheaper for me to get 'Voids' as a tape plus digital download set than just the digital download. I had my Acty with the tape deck in it at the time so what the hell, now we use the tape as a test tape for decks in cars we get.

Omni is my fav album by them, but I also understand that a lot of people don't like that one so :shrug:

Yeah also my fav band for a long time. I've been listening to Infinity Overhead in my car lately. They're such a great band when summer rolls around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

As we were starting to dig into it for cleaning I popped open the fuel door for the first time.

A lot of the stickers are faded now of course but I'm pretty sure those are injector cleaners/detergent stickers for every time they put some in. This old lady really cared for this truck.

I love people who care for their cars, I hope that old lady is healthy and happy :3:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Don't take that bottom left-ish one off (with the red arch/torii on it), it's a Shinto traffic safety charm decal! Says it's from Miyamoto shrine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Don't take that bottom left-ish one off (with the red arch/torii on it), it's a Shinto traffic safety charm decal! Says it's from Miyamoto shrine.

Oh no worries at all, I'm going to leave everything on the inside of the fuel door. That safety shrine charm sticker is the best.

So I have started to feel the Toyota Tax™. One of the people that peeped the Surf on my instagram is a guy that sells a bunch of first-gen 4Runner stuff. He currently has the side badges for sale that say "HILUX SURF"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Hil...xIAAOSwxIRZ9Puy

$150 bucks! gently caress!

Granted they are re-manufactured (read: painted in his garage probably) but it seems like I can buy the whole assembly, as that plastic bit on the side is a whole thing

on amazon.jp for around 50 or so USD for one. Yeah I need two and shipping and have to look into it more to make absolute sure but dang, the Toyota Tax is real.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Signed up for that japancardirect site. I hope you’re happy Kaker. I’ll blame you when my wife has left me and taken the kid, all my sweet JDM stuff has been repoed and I’m hoboing it out and evading the law in my 80s beige manual AWD diesel Kei truck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bolind posted:

Signed up for that japancardirect site. I hope you’re happy Kaker. I’ll blame you when my wife has left me and taken the kid, all my sweet JDM stuff has been repoed and I’m hoboing it out and evading the law in my 80s beige manual AWD diesel Kei truck.

:hellyeah:

And while it isn't important enough to me to turn into a shill, I do get comped JCD's fee if someone that went there because of me buys a car. I'm always buying cars so that's a sort of perk thing they've given me. So, you know, if you'd like to tell em who sent you :v:, or not.

Also if you want a factory beige kei truck you're going to be stuck with a Mitsubishi. It's white, red if it's a fire truck, blue for a Honda. Or a repaint I guess.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!

KakerMix posted:

And while it isn't important enough to me to turn into a shill, I do get comped JCD's fee if someone that went there because of me buys a car.

Oh, no poo poo? PM me your deets so next time I bid on something I can let Yoshiro know.

Has anyone had any experience with the dealership listings on japancardirect? Will I get hosed with dealer mark-ups buying there instead of waiting for a good auction? I'm in no particular rush to buy, but waiting for inspection results in the middle of the night is conflicting with my 5am alarm clock in a bad way.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

And while it isn't important enough to me to turn into a shill, I do get comped JCD's fee if someone that went there because of me buys a car. I'm always buying cars so that's a sort of perk thing they've given me. So, you know, if you'd like to tell em who sent you :v:, or not.

Also if you want a factory beige kei truck you're going to be stuck with a Mitsubishi. It's white, red if it's a fire truck, blue for a Honda. Or a repaint I guess.

Dude thankful you told us I'm bidding on cars daily (haven't won one yet) who do we say referred us? PM me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Dude thankful you told us I'm bidding on cars daily (haven't won one yet) who do we say referred us? PM me

Basil Fawlty posted:

Oh, no poo poo? PM me your deets so next time I bid on something I can let Yoshiro know.

Has anyone had any experience with the dealership listings on japancardirect? Will I get hosed with dealer mark-ups buying there instead of waiting for a good auction? I'm in no particular rush to buy, but waiting for inspection results in the middle of the night is conflicting with my 5am alarm clock in a bad way.

You can just tell JCD "Hey Devin sent me" and they should know exactly who that is. My Instagram handle is literally my full name so whatever. I do appreciate it though guys, thanks!

Re: Dealerships:

You will pay more yeah, the dealership markup is real. However if you are looking for something specific sometimes that's you're only real option. Downside is no inspections, upside is that there is a good chance that it's legal for Japanese road use which means it should be in good shape. I bought the 83 Acty from a dealership and it was easy as pie.

Surf is insured, plated and legal :getin:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Will let Matt know tonight, that Surf is amazing. Hey there is another AZ-1 up for auction, mind glancing at it and giving me some thoughts?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ZoJpxoxutzRfAX.htm

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Now that I have a GTR as my weekend car I have started to fall out of love with my 350z Daily Driver. It no longer really offers the thrills it used to as its outclassed by the GTR and I only really drive during rush hour and the route I take to work is boring. The Z is a bit of a gas hog at ~21 mpg although the GTR seems to be worse but is hard to tell for sure since I haven't stopped to do the math on how much MPG it gets. I have ruled out the GTR as a potential daily driver as its too much of a gas hog, not right for the commute and will get hosed with if left alone in the neighborhood I work in.

I need a new daily driver. Something manual, Japanese, 30+ MPG on Regular, cheap, at least has AC as an option, and at least interesting in some way. This has led me to thinking about simple stuff I can get stateside like a Miata or CRX that would be simple to have serviced. The other part of me screams for more weird Japanese cars like the Beat, Cappuccino and AZ-1 as well as RHD Miata's or CRX's as they would have much lower mileage and a CRX with a straight body isn't easy to find in the USA. I could even get a CRX SiR.

Anyone here own any of those cars yet and can give me their impressions? Is there anything cars that I might be missing? I prefer hardtops so I might rule out the beat and stick to Miata's that have hard tops and all the others of course already have hard tops. There seem to be quite alot of Miata's with hard tops already installed on JCD.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 21, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At some point you're going to have to go pick up those overnight parts from Japan, I recommend something practical for freight like a acty.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

cakesmith handyman posted:

At some point you're going to have to go pick up those overnight parts from Japan, I recommend something practical for freight like a acty.

Practical isn't my style. My Dad has two trucks and is retired and I can always borrow one if it need it. I think I have needed his truck to haul things less than 5 times ever. Delivery is a great thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Loanarn posted:

I need a new daily driver. Something manual, Japanese, 30+ MPG on Regular, cheap, at least has AC as an option, and at least interesting in some way. This has led me to thinking about simple stuff I can get stateside like a Miata or CRX that would be simple to have serviced. The other part of me screams for more weird Japanese cars like the Beat, Cappuccino and AZ-1 as well as RHD Miata's or CRX's as they would have much lower mileage and a CRX with a straight body isn't easy to find in the USA. I could even get a CRX SiR.

You're never gonna sniff 30+ mpg in a Miata unless you get a ND with skyactiv.

Keep in mind the other cars you listed are all death traps, I don't know how long your commute is, but no way I'd trust other people not to kill me in a Honda Beat or an old EF CRX.

I'd say the latest hybrid CRX is your best bet in terms of mileage, quirkiness and safety.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

You're never gonna sniff 30+ mpg in a Miata unless you get a ND with skyactiv.

Keep in mind the other cars you listed are all death traps, I don't know how long your commute is, but no way I'd trust other people not to kill me in a Honda Beat or an old EF CRX.

I'd say the latest hybrid CRX is your best bet in terms of mileage, quirkiness and safety.

The CRZ is booooring. Death traps are fine. I used to DD a CRX as my first car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A Skyactiv manual Mazda 3 is a good commuter car.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

everdave posted:

Will let Matt know tonight, that Surf is amazing. Hey there is another AZ-1 up for auction, mind glancing at it and giving me some thoughts?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ZoJpxoxutzRfAX.htm

The panel alignment looks really off on the hood. Is that normal for these cars? Like it's not latched.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Throwing a Hail Mary bid on a super low mile Toyota crown majesta with the v8 and who knows may have 4 wheel steering gps and hud off they ticked those boxes no time for inspection I bid cheap and no reserve

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Keep in mind the other cars you listed are all death traps, I don't know how long your commute is, but no way I'd trust other people not to kill me in a Honda Beat ...

You are drat near invisible. Notice how the Odyssey's sliding door track lines up with the top of your head. On the plus side, you wind up recalibrating your personal space on the road. You'll start to maneuver when someone is within about 25 feet, but this is impossible if you have most people's commute. I drive mine to work only when I'm certain I want to work out early and stay late, and I have an enviable secondary road reverse commute.
I'll take some pictures parked next to other small things this weekend, but unless you live in like Darkest Appalachia it's not a daily. You'll get sqwarshed.

Also it runs like 10.8:1 compression and you're WOT all day, so I suspect it needs premium.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Electric Pigeon posted:

You are drat near invisible. Notice how the Odyssey's sliding door track lines up with the top of your head. On the plus side, you wind up recalibrating your personal space on the road. You'll start to maneuver when someone is within about 25 feet, but this is impossible if you have most people's commute. I drive mine to work only when I'm certain I want to work out early and stay late, and I have an enviable secondary road reverse commute.
I'll take some pictures parked next to other small things this weekend, but unless you live in like Darkest Appalachia it's not a daily. You'll get sqwarshed.

Also it runs like 10.8:1 compression and you're WOT all day, so I suspect it needs premium.

Still not worried about saftey at all. Premium is a dealbreaker for a daily. Did that for 10 years and id like to stop now. I think I am narrowing in on either a CRX or a Cappuccino. There are a few local CRX's that look pretty good for the price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You should clear coat the inside of the filler door to preserve those stickers for eternity.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Loanarn posted:

Still not worried about saftey at all. Premium is a dealbreaker for a daily. Did that for 10 years and id like to stop now. I think I am narrowing in on either a CRX or a Cappuccino. There are a few local CRX's that look pretty good for the price.

Awesome, since my conscience has been sated, I can admit it's stupid fun in traffic, and the Cappuccino should only be more so (90 RON for the Cappo, according to a brief research jaunt, and I guess some Beat guys run regular, but I wouldn't drive up a mountain on that).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I WON MY FIRST CAR. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta with the 1jz. 7k km. I got it for $945. No inspection!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

everdave posted:

I WON MY FIRST CAR. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta with the 1jz. 7k km. I got it for $945. No inspection!

Nice! 7k km is unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This was an oddball no one looking at. I don’t see how I can’t make my money back on a v8 Toyota with 4500 miles. If it has the right options who knows may even make some money.