Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hey wait a second! Thanos already halved a bunch of populations before he got the Infinity Gauntlet (most recently the Asgardians, most likely the Xandarians), so he actually quartered those populations! That stupid rear end in a top hat!

edit: And not only that, but the Asgardians just came off of a civil war that probably killed a third of their population! They're at one sixth population now! What the gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

DrNutt posted:

I don't get why people are hung up on this, it's the MCU so when we finally get casualty figures it'll be like "22 Wakandans died in the fighting with Thanos's troops, and we will avenge them."

Astro7x posted:

But half of them died anyway though?

If they'd killed Vision and destroyed the stone, those 22 wakandans wouldn't have died. If they'd killed Vision and destroyed the stone, those half of everyone also wouldn't have died.

It just seems a really bad bit of plotting. They should have had the ticking clock be trying to destroy the stone, not to remove it, and it could have been "Vision without the stone you'll only have 20 minutes to live make it count" then he goes and smashes one of the minibosses or something.

There's no reason to make the characters weirdly selfish and irrational if you don't have to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pospysyl posted:

Hey wait a second! Thanos already halved a bunch of populations before he got the Infinity Gauntlet (most recently the Asgardians, most likely the Xandarians), so he actually quartered those populations! That stupid rear end in a top hat!

edit: And not only that, but the Asgardians just came off of a civil war that probably killed a third of their population! They're at one sixth population now! What the gently caress!

Asgardian eugenicists using this as proof that an Asgardian is objectively worth more than any other race.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vitamin P posted:

There's no reason to make the characters weirdly selfish and irrational if you don't have to.

Bad news for you, this is the default state of most humans

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

pospysyl posted:

Asgardians will live in a hyper-paradise now, it’s all good.

I’ve been hung up on the arbitrary nature of killing half the population of the universe - for me it was by far the weakest part of the movie. But it turns out Thanos was right after all:

https://youtu.be/3eQP6JoxtKk

I’m convinced.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What are the gold things he's holding

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Guy A. Person posted:

probably yu-gi-oh cards or something

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

The Five Pieces of Exodia, The Forbidden One!

Exodia, oblierate!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vitamin P posted:

If they'd killed Vision and destroyed the stone, those 22 wakandans wouldn't have died. If they'd killed Vision and destroyed the stone, those half of everyone also wouldn't have died.

It just seems a really bad bit of plotting. They should have had the ticking clock be trying to destroy the stone, not to remove it, and it could have been "Vision without the stone you'll only have 20 minutes to live make it count" then he goes and smashes one of the minibosses or something.

I mean, that scene is supposed to be the movie shouting in your face that you can't just kill people conveniently to solve problems and that that is the flaw in thanos' plan.

Like yeah, maybe he was right mechanically that if they let him do his kill everyone plan titan would be saved, but he's STILL not right.

Like every other scene was showing "hey, killing someone would be the easy answer, but not the right one"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harime Nui posted:

Vision is one of the most powerful Avengers and would be a moderately useful X-Man. He's Kitty Pryde with an exo-suit and laser pistol. More useful than Claw-Man, but less than Weather Witch, Mind Witch or German Bampher.

This is why the Avengers have always been kind of a crap team, btw. With the exception of Scarlet Witch every Avenger's power is some variation on "hits things good." Shield, Hammer, Thruster-Beam, Speedfist, Punching Glove Arrow... it all comes down to "hits things good." So Vision has a moderately useful ability where he can become ghostlike and float and then suddenly weigh as much as an irridium core and hit good(!) which is why he has to go haywire/die every story arc 'cuz he's too powerful. poo poo, Wonder Man... hits things good. The one X-Man they drafted was... Beast? They never even had the shrinking characters murder people in gross ways until the Ultimate Comics. In the movies Ant-Man only ever shrinks to... hit good.

Whereas in the X-Men you have a shitload of Utility Players like Iceguy, Exploder Thief, Girl Data, Human Battery Cop, Purple Ninja, Gimmick Stealer Lass, etc. Makes for far more interesting stories.

this is why i never read Avengers when i read comic books in the 80s. they just seemed so goddamn boring.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm sorry to go to box office chat, but it is the most interesting part of this movie. So, it did a record opening, but holy poo poo, it sort of fell off a cliff. Its 4th weekend estimate is 28 million. Respectable, but the first Avengers did 36 million at the same point, despite doing a smaller opening. Sort of interesting in that it implies that the number of people who wanted to see it is about the same, but more of them went earlier.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Deadpool 2 also opened. Technically, a better film. But Avengers has a different sort of satisfaction.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sorry to go to box office chat, but it is the most interesting part of this movie. So, it did a record opening, but holy poo poo, it sort of fell off a cliff. Its 4th weekend estimate is 28 million. Respectable, but the first Avengers did 36 million at the same point, despite doing a smaller opening. Sort of interesting in that it implies that the number of people who wanted to see it is about the same, but more of them went earlier.

Well, Deadpool 2 just came out. And that movie also has a huge following. Avengers 1 didn't have that, it pretty much had the entire run free of competition. Avengers Infinity War has to compete with Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story. I know Solo is not expected to be big, but the Star Wars name is still going to make people go to see that movie. Overall, A:IW has to compete with two films guaranteed to take thunder away from it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plus everyone who wanted to see it has, many times. Now it’s time to move on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, I am actually kind of surprised when the r/comicbook discord has people saying they just resaw it. It was a good film, but Deadpool 2 is out now. Why would you not just go see that?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

CelticPredator posted:

Plus everyone who wanted to see it has, many times. Now it’s time to move on.

That's what I thought but two showings in a row were sold out when I wanted to see it with my girlfriend on Friday night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda wanted to catch it again after DP2, but the only one close to me was in 3D and has assigned seats so sneaking in there would be a pain in the rear end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One of the drawbacks to the style of movie A: IW is is that word of mouth is not necessarily going to work because there's still that barrier of entry. Whereas stuff like Avatar, Titanic, etc have the benefit of the big up front advertising/hype plus then once they break box office records it becomes this cultural event everyone wants to go to. I've had several people ask me about how lost they would be presumably because they are intrigued since it's this big important movie that's out and being talked about, but they don't have the investment in it.

But oh well, I guess it will have to settle for a billion point eight or so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

One of the drawbacks to the style of movie A: IW is is that word of mouth is not necessarily going to work because there's still that barrier of entry. Whereas stuff like Avatar, Titanic, etc have the benefit of the big up front advertising/hype plus then once they break box office records it becomes this cultural event everyone wants to go to. I've had several people ask me about how lost they would be presumably because they are intrigued since it's this big important movie that's out and being talked about, but they don't have the investment in it.

This actually makes a very intriguing scenario.

Comic books suffer from a continuity problem. The reality is the big two have been around for about 60 and 100 years respectively. This causes the problem of continuity. Especially when you got writers like Chris Claremont who kind of reveled in convoluted continuity and made it a trend that the X-men's continuity should be a orobos drawn by Salvador Dali. This makes a barrier for new readers. Funny thing is that, frankly, you can usually just jump in on any issue because comics usually try to explain things in the first page with a quick recap and use footnotes to explain references in the book itself. They are written to be disposable media for people to just pick up and put down so you really can just pick a character you like and start from there and pick things up as you go along. But no one thinks that way -- unless you're a fan -- and this bars many people from trying out the medium.

The big two usually make "jumping on points" where characters are set to some form of status quo and their continuing storylines laid to bed for a bit so that new readers can familiarize themselves with the character. But, unless you read comics, you don't even know what these are.

It would be interesting if MCU ends up inheriting this problem over time. The problem that kills comics. That they have trouble getting new readers -- not helped by the toxic as gently caress vocal fans like D&C crew of alt-right gently caress heads and comicsgate people -- so they kind of have to appeal to their dwindling audience while desperately trying to get new people on board. '

But, I kind of doubt it. I mean, without a shadow of a doubt, the MCU will die as all things do. That is a reality none can escape. But how it does is the intriguing part.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

By the same token, though, IW has the advantage of 18 or 19 other films more or less just being adverts for this. Avatar has to start cold.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

By the same token, though, IW has the advantage of 18 or 19 other films more or less just being adverts for this. Avatar has to start cold.

Well sure and they've grown their audience steadily. And as far as jumping on points they've obviously had great success with Guardians and BP, and they made sure to put them front and center in the advertising. But the reason IW is doing 2-3 times better than the typical MCU film is because MCU fans are seeing it 2-3 times. And ultimately that's not going to generate sustainable "legs".

(This is obviously a bunch of supposition and generalization tho too, I'm sure there were still plenty of people who went in cold to IW)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Well sure and they've grown their audience steadily. And as far as jumping on points they've obviously had great success with Guardians and BP, and they made sure to put them front and center in the advertising. But the reason IW is doing 2-3 times better than the typical MCU film is because MCU fans are seeing it 2-3 times. And ultimately that's not going to generate sustainable "legs".

(This is obviously a bunch of supposition and generalization tho too, I'm sure there were still plenty of people who went in cold to IW)

I mean, there is no way of proving that. It could be people watching 2-3 times. It could be that this is simply how many people are into the franchise and not everyone could see it the first few weeks. It could be that there are tons of people jumping on/jumping off. There is literally no way to tell without spending a lot of money on research.

Also, anyone else kind of surprised they destroyed an Infinity Stone? See, in the comics, you can't do that. If you did, their associated aspect would stop. Destroy the time stone, there is no time. Destroy the space stone, there is no space. The movies are obviously different, but it did seem odd, especially since they undid it. But, I suppose, they changed that rule for the drama and the fake-out they wanted to do. It's not like it was ever established that way in movie canon so it's not an issue to change it, obviously.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The impressive thing about stuff like Titanic and Avatar is you look at the box office receipts, and it turns out they weren't spectacular openings - Titanic opened to less than half of what the #1 opener of the year, The Lost World, did, and Avatar did $77 million on its opening weekend - but those trains kept going for months on end. Titanic was pulling north of a million a weekend until the end of May. It was literally pulling in a small audience into the following summer blockbuster season. It was pulling north of a million every day until the end of March. Avatar hit the wall earlier (the end of March) but did better day-to-day up to that point and then did $2.1 billion around the international market. That drat movie did over $100 million in France, Germany, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Russia, the UK, Spain, it did over $200 million in China. It did a million and a half in Latvia, and Latvia's box office total through April this year is like a third of that total, for comparison.

I poo poo you not, Disney is probably more interested in getting their hands on Avatar than they are any of the Fox Marvel properties. That movie played to foreign markets that no comic book movie seems capable of breaking into.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

But the reason IW is doing 2-3 times better than the typical MCU film is because MCU fans are seeing it 2-3 times. And ultimately that's not going to generate sustainable "legs".

I'm pretty sure the reason is 'more people are watching it' which is the same reason the first Avengers, Black Panther, Civil War and Iron Man 3 all did better.

Even if you were right, 'people seeing it repeatedly' seems like a really good way for a movie to gain legs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

The impressive thing about stuff like Titanic and Avatar is you look at the box office receipts, and it turns out they weren't spectacular openings - Titanic opened to less than half of what the #1 opener of the year, The Lost World, did, and Avatar did $77 million on its opening weekend - but those trains kept going for months on end. Titanic was pulling north of a million a weekend until the end of May. It was literally pulling in a small audience into the following summer blockbuster season. It was pulling north of a million every day until the end of March. Avatar hit the wall earlier (the end of March) but did better day-to-day up to that point and then did $2.1 billion around the international market. That drat movie did over $100 million in France, Germany, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Russia, the UK, Spain, it did over $200 million in China. It did a million and a half in Latvia, and Latvia's box office total through April this year is like a third of that total, for comparison.

I poo poo you not, Disney is probably more interested in getting their hands on Avatar than they are any of the Fox Marvel properties. That movie played to foreign markets that no comic book movie seems capable of breaking into.

Plus it probably justify them paying a lot to have the Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Avatar might as well be a silent film, so it has that particular advantage in international markets.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Covok posted:

Also, anyone else kind of surprised they destroyed an Infinity Stone? See, in the comics, you can't do that. If you did, their associated aspect would stop. Destroy the time stone, there is no time. Destroy the space stone, there is no space. The movies are obviously different, but it did seem odd, especially since they undid it. But, I suppose, they changed that rule for the drama and the fake-out they wanted to do. It's not like it was ever established that way in movie canon so it's not an issue to change it, obviously.

Eh I kind of understand. In the comics (keep in mind I don't read the comics, so I have no idea how the stones are contained when a villain doesn't have them) storylines will constantly be going back and dealing with them. I assume Thanos isn't the only one in the comics to use them, so I would assume it's just easier to make them that way so that they can keep going back and using them. I have no idea if there are actually stories where one of the stones gets destroyed and time is hosed or whatever.

The movies I feel like if you made them work the way the comics do, once Infinity War is over the stones would have to be kept... somewhere. And literally nowhere would be safe from a future villain. I don't think they're going to revisit the Infinity Stones after IW2 so them being able to be destroyed makes it so a villain can't get their hands on it again (in the movies)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

Avatar might as well be a silent film, so it has that particular advantage in international markets.

I like to watch movies on mute to see if they are actually effective in conveying their story through visuals alone :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Eh I kind of understand. In the comics (keep in mind I don't read the comics, so I have no idea how the stones are contained when a villain doesn't have them) storylines will constantly be going back and dealing with them. I assume Thanos isn't the only one in the comics to use them, so I would assume it's just easier to make them that way so that they can keep going back and using them. I have no idea if there are actually stories where one of the stones gets destroyed and time is hosed or whatever.

The movies I feel like if you made them work the way the comics do, once Infinity War is over the stones would have to be kept... somewhere. And literally nowhere would be safe from a future villain. I don't think they're going to revisit the Infinity Stones after IW2 so them being able to be destroyed makes it so a villain can't get their hands on it again (in the movies)

That's a fair point. And, yes, other people have used them like Thanos' daughter, Adam Warlock, and a slew of other people. At this point, it would make sense to just destroy them. But you can't. So, people just dedicate armies to their protection. Recently, when the reformed Nova Corps found the Power Stone, they dedicated a battalion to secretly protect it as well as recruiting Drax the Destroyer to personally oversee its stewardship. If they could just blow it up, they would have done it years ago and never feared it again.

Ironically, the Cosmic Cube is something that also exists and basically gives you full control of reality as well. And its something that, to my knowledge, isn't that hard to make and many space species have made it. You can literally bend reality over your knee with it. The Infinity Stones are also limited to only their own universe and are useless when not in their home universe. So, for the all the grandeur, Cosmic Cubes are simply better than the Infinity Stones despite the fact you can make a Cosmic Cube.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

Plus it probably justify them paying a lot to have the Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom.

That thing is paying for itself, apparently. Like three hour waits for the rides there on a very consistent basis, so it's working as an attraction.

I suspect whatever data they're getting out of their parks is what is convincing them that they need to spend the money they're spending for Fox. The level of aggression and speed with which they've moved on this - twice now, don't forget they put a bid in prior to the current one that went awry for reasons - just doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd put in because of a few Marvel characters. That whole property has a million stories they can do without the Fantastic Four or X-Men and related characters. For those, they could always wait things out, eventually Fox gave up on Daredevil and the rights reverted, or Fox would end up pulling a Sony and piggybacking on the Marvel brand name to bolster the revenue of a movie in exchange for usage of the characters in crossovers and stuff on the Disney end of things. No, Disney is looking at something else... and the biggest thing is, well, the biggest movie in the world. Disney took the biggest swing they could, a Star Wars movie, the first in a decade-ish, designed precisely to be a jumping-on point and a nostalgia revue that brought back everyone's favorite characters, and that still made $800 million less than James Cameron doing Stranger in a Strange Land with cat people. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. Plus having ownership of the longest-running sitcom in history, an American institution, even if it ended tomorrow (if only it would!), is some added sweetness, especially after numerous years of that sitcom taking shots at the company for being the evil conglomerate that it is.

All of this is a lot of ammunition you'd want to have, when you're starting up a streaming service almost specifically to take on Netflix...

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 21, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm not a huge comic book movie fan, I'll watch them and move on but I paid to see this twice. I never see movies twice - I think the last one was the Matrix in 99. There's something different about this one.

I have to give Brolin a TON of credit for his performance as Thanos, it's really special. Not everything works in the movie but a lot of it does and once it gets to the climax of the film (i.e. Thanos arrives on Titan) it puts in a ton of work.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Also I wish people would stop nitpicking Thanos plan, how it doesn't hold up or is irrational. He's exulting in his own awesome power and lust for carnage, not trying to solve a genuine problem. The guy is a bloodthirsty maniac, not a technocrat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ammanas posted:

I'm not a huge comic book movie fan, I'll watch them and move on but I paid to see this twice. I never see movies twice - I think the last one was the Matrix in 99. There's something different about this one.

I have to give Brolin a TON of credit for his performance as Thanos, it's really special. Not everything works in the movie but a lot of it does and once it gets to the climax of the film (i.e. Thanos arrives on Titan) it puts in a ton of work.

It's an event film that feels like an actual event. Like Star WarsTFA was cool, but it didn't have that UMPH that this one has. I mean, this thread and CineD can argue all day about how these films lack continuity or whatever, but watching them all and getting to this makes for a pretty special experience. Not all the pieces fit, but they're definitely set up. All once all the pieces are in play, it's drat entertaining to see.

While I do not in any way agree with RLM at all about the perfect film TLJ, I do agree with them here that I'm way more excited about the climax to this film over the next saga Star Wars movie. I don't really care what happens as much as I do with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Because that will directly affect the next film. So if Gamora is dead dead, that's going to bum me out for Guardians 3 and I'll probably cry again because James Gunn can tap into that part of my brain apparently.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

When they said in Civil War that 74 people died when aliens invaded New York and started flying through skyscrapers with massive dragon fish ships, I mean I liked Civil War a lot but holy poo poo that was stupid.

It seems weird to bring up New York at all. I get the whole argument for oversight, but the Avengers had some degree of oversight in the original Avengers film. They were working with SHIELD, who were taking orders from the MCU fake UN organisation that was in the Avengers and Winter Soldier. Not only that, but it was the oversight committee that ordered the nuke onto New York, forcing the Avengers to save everyone.

You can't even say that the oversight committee were Hydra, because they were all murdered by Hydra in Winter Soldier for not approving the death helicarriers.

Even if the 74 deaths are directly related to the Avengers, like dropping dead space whales on people and the like, it's still way lower than the presented alternative.

They should have just blamed the Avengers for creating Ultron which nearly destroyed the world. It would also make the Avengers split make more sense. I never liked how Tony, self-centred vigilante, wanted increased oversight, while Cap, a soldier and who effectively destroyed SHIELD because they operated without full transparency, would want unlimited autonomy. But a guilty Tony being focused on the big picture, while Cap looking out for individuals makes more sense. The team split also seems to work perfectly for this, with Tony's side being mostly people actively serving for government organisations (or being built by Tony), and Cap's side with people who have retired or don't work for anyone, but still want to help where they can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, $28m for a 4th weekend is nothing to sneeze at (that's Titanic numbers, after all) but Black Panther did $40m on its 4th weekend. Infinity War may have set the record for opening weekend and it's clearly going to pass $2 billion worldwide but I think it's going to struggle to pass Black Panther domestically.

Covok posted:

This actually makes a very intriguing scenario.

Comic books suffer from a continuity problem. The reality is the big two have been around for about 60 and 100 years respectively. This causes the problem of continuity. Especially when you got writers like Chris Claremont who kind of reveled in convoluted continuity and made it a trend that the X-men's continuity should be a orobos drawn by Salvador Dali. This makes a barrier for new readers. Funny thing is that, frankly, you can usually just jump in on any issue because comics usually try to explain things in the first page with a quick recap and use footnotes to explain references in the book itself. They are written to be disposable media for people to just pick up and put down so you really can just pick a character you like and start from there and pick things up as you go along. But no one thinks that way -- unless you're a fan -- and this bars many people from trying out the medium.

The big two usually make "jumping on points" where characters are set to some form of status quo and their continuing storylines laid to bed for a bit so that new readers can familiarize themselves with the character. But, unless you read comics, you don't even know what these are.

It would be interesting if MCU ends up inheriting this problem over time. The problem that kills comics. That they have trouble getting new readers -- not helped by the toxic as gently caress vocal fans like D&C crew of alt-right gently caress heads and comicsgate people -- so they kind of have to appeal to their dwindling audience while desperately trying to get new people on board. '

But, I kind of doubt it. I mean, without a shadow of a doubt, the MCU will die as all things do. That is a reality none can escape. But how it does is the intriguing part.

The MCU has certain advantages that comics don't have. A big one is that they only put out a handful of movies every year but they have a ridiculously deep well of source material so they can keep introducing new characters pretty much forever and every new origin movie is another potential jumping on point for new viewers.

Another huge advantage is their ridiculous ease of accessibility. Back when comics were still desperately holding on to the physical print media model it could be pretty difficult getting the full story on a convoluted title like X-Men because you'd have to go to specialty stores and track down individual back issues which could get ludicrously expensive thanks to the ridiculous collectors speculation market that grew around the hobby. I spent way too many hours and WAY too much money back in the 1980s pawing through longboxes in the back of dingy stores trying to fill gaps in my collections. (It's super easy now that the comicbook companies are also publishing digitally and are making their back catalogues available online.) The MCU is super easy to access, my local supermarket has all the DVDs in a rack next to the checkout counters. I don't even have to leave my house or even buy any physical media or even subscribe to any service, I can watch them all VOD on youtube for a couple of bucks.

Even if I couldn't be bothered watching all the previous movies I could just spend half an hour reading the Wikipedia plot summaries, and even then if I couldn't be bothered reading anything I could just watch one of the thousands of youtube videos that summarize the MCU.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

They should have just blamed the Avengers for creating Ultron which nearly destroyed the world. It would also make the Avengers split make more sense. I never liked how Tony, self-centred vigilante, wanted increased oversight, while Cap, a soldier and who effectively destroyed SHIELD because they operated without full transparency, would want unlimited autonomy. But a guilty Tony being focused on the big picture, while Cap looking out for individuals makes more sense. The team split also seems to work perfectly for this, with Tony's side being mostly people actively serving for government organisations (or being built by Tony), and Cap's side with people who have retired or don't work for anyone, but still want to help where they can.

I agree with this a hundred percent. In the comics Iron Man is on the pro-registration side while Captain America is against it, but it felt like in the movie they had to make Cap in particular a massive dumbass idiot to try to contort their respective characters into being on the same sides they were on in the comics when everything about how they roll in the past films would have had them switch sides.

They could have easily undone that by having the Sokovia accords/etc. based 100% around Tony Stark loving up so bad by creating Ultron, but instead they focus on the really low body count in Manhattan and the operation in Civil War's opening having casualities and the Avengers' actions in Sokovia instead of Stark creating Ultron. And I'm not saying they shouldn't care about those because not enough people died or whatever overall. But in the context of the movie's story like you think politicians in the US or most of the nations in the UN (or whatever the MCU version is) are going to see "terrorist attack happened...somewhere....five people died" and actually propose ANY kind of sweeping legislation over it? Even with super powered people involved it just felt so out of touch with the world. Like you say this was the same governing agency that was going to drop nukes on NYC a few years ago.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Neo Rasa posted:

I agree with this a hundred percent. In the comics Iron Man is on the pro-registration side while Captain America is against it, but it felt like in the movie they had to make Cap in particular a massive dumbass idiot to try to contort their respective characters into being on the same sides they were on in the comics when everything about how they roll in the past films would have had them switch sides.

We didn't watch the same films.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

We didn't watch the same films.

Iron Man uses a lot of pull to keep things relatively stable even after the Bucky situation and explains this to Cap and Cap is about to sign on for the accords but then suddenly goes rogue because Wanda is under house arrest until she learns to control her powers better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It just occured to me that Strange probably gave over the time stone because every reality in which Starlord survived involved him later loving things up in some way.