Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the SA Dota community still insufferable is the better question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is there a MOBA community that isn't insufferable?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there any game community that isn't insufferable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

the jp tales of community is women who vote on who the cutest tales boy is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is from a few pages back but...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If they're talking about Ladykiller in a Bind, it appears a rape (or near rape, if that is even a thing) scene was removed. From this article:

Script link

Haven't played the game but reading that script it's a pretty creepo scene

That article was part of the problem I was talking about
Here, Polygon wrote a whole thing about it and the outcry and it was good https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/24/14365716/ladykiller-in-a-bind-problematic-consent-sex-scene

Its a messy scene, but the reaction to it was also very messy itself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anyway Monster Prom really is great. The humor doesn't always hit well for me, but like its one of those things that whatever demographic it was aiming for, I fit to a T.

Also lmao, I was not expecting references about different ships from Star Vs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dungeon Fighter Online :D

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For no real reason I went back and played Mega Man 2 for the first time in a while. I'm honestly not sure I ever beat it without trading off with a friend. I also think this time through might have been the first time I ever got through the lasers in Quick Man's stage without using Flash Man's ability (jokes on me because it absolutely sucks as a weakness for Quick Man).

It is also truly ridiculous how overpowered the Metal Blade is. Like there are only a handful of enemies that can't be hurt by it and most enemies get one shotted by it, plus it's a weakness for four robot masters including Metal Man himself.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna start a patreon for my video game blog stuff and hope i can pull in more than five dollars a month and if i can't then i'll have to live off of leftovers

what's your blog?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
today I went to a japanese bookstore called Kinokuniya that just opened a location nearby and I found the video game artbook section and oh man my wallet is not gonna be happy if I go there again

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is from a few pages back but...

That article was part of the problem I was talking about
Here, Polygon wrote a whole thing about it and the outcry and it was good https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/24/14365716/ladykiller-in-a-bind-problematic-consent-sex-scene

Its a messy scene, but the reaction to it was also very messy itself.

Ah, the context I was missing that it was 3 step process:

1. There's scenes in the game that are uncomfortable
2. Patch makes them skippable + adds warnings
3. Another patch removes scene altogether

I agree that stopping at 2 would be sufficient.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the SA Dota community still insufferable is the better question

Assuming it's still the main posters that have been around, the goon Dota community is worse than most Dota communities.

The Goon Warframe community is extremely chill and we have all bonded over our collective brain damage that keeps us playing the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

The Goon Warframe community is extremely chill and we have all bonded over our collective brain damage that keeps us playing the game.

I recall that thread title being "Why do I have 1000 hours in this terrible game" like 5 years ago when I last played Warframe. It was at least slightly more true then, but the game sounds completely nuts and bloated now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/8ISenyI.mp4

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How exactly does a moth girl end up as a pirate? And why even make a moth girl in the first place?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'll tell you when the game tells me instead of making me sit through the captain talking to the chameleon girl

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe they just really like Mothra.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I look at that moth girl the more it freaks me out because its got balljoints as if it was a doll. But if its a doll person why is it also a moth? I guess if its a maid having wings would help but I wonder if she gets distracted by lights easily like a real moth. That would cause a lot of collateral damage.

(yes I know its just a fetish)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Gluten is apparently bad for you, though.

Late to the party but I have to answer this because it "triggers me", as the kids say these days. Gluten is only bad for you if you suffer from coeliac disease (spelling?). In Germany for example that is 1.5 percent of the population max from what I read. Otherwise you are fine as there is no "gluten intolerance" it's full on coeliac and you will suffer immensely or it doesn't bother you. Hell there even is pure gluten that is used in low carb baking. But for some reason women's magazines decided to have to start a war on gluten because they didn't know what else to impress their gullible readers with. And it went wild from there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The more I look at that moth girl the more it freaks me out because its got balljoints as if it was a doll. But if its a doll person why is it also a moth? I guess if its a maid having wings would help but I wonder if she gets distracted by lights easily like a real moth. That would cause a lot of collateral damage.

(yes I know its just a fetish)

So far the moth girl has just been really passive aggressive because she doesn't like how she does all the cooking and cleaning and there are others who don't contribute their fair share to the workload, mostly referring to bear girl and chameleon girl

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is this game just a wacky boat full of monster girls and do they start killing each other after the sea madness sets in

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im trying to think how the hell someone ends up attracted to moths of all things, literally one of the ugliest and dumbest animals out there

maybe a moth landing on your dick as you ejaculate for the first time or some poo poo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

babypolis posted:

im trying to think how the hell someone ends up attracted to moths of all things, literally one of the ugliest and dumbest animals out there

maybe a moth landing on your dick as you ejaculate for the first time or some poo poo

Hey some moths aren't ugly. Sure the common ones are very drab but there are ones that are very colorful and beautiful. Also by bug standards they are pretty cute; they're harmless idiot fuzzballs with big wings.

But I doubt anyone has a fetish for moths and moths alone. Its more that some people are really drawn to "exotic beauty" and in this age of the internet that has led to people fetishizing pretty much anything. So I guess the moth girl hits that same exotic appeal that other monster girls do. At least that's my best guess :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So far this seems to be a game where the only two genders are "woman" and "woman with penis" and the ship is filled with:

captain: regular human woman
first mate: dog lady
person who mans the crows nest: some pixie
cook and maid: moth woman
engine person: horse lady
heavy lifter/book person: bear lady
sail maintenance: spider woman
the rest: sphinx lady and chameleon lady, I think that's it. As far as I can tell they don't actually contribute to the boat at all outside of performing various oddjob duties. Chameleon person is usually too tired to do anything so they sleep all day hidden away in the rafters, sphinx person is strong but she she also seems to mostly just be there to be an adventurer, she doesn't seem to be skilled in any one thing in particular like the rest.

They have not started to kill each other yet but the game says if I gently caress up too many times during sea battles, the crew'll get madder and madder until they mutiny.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
About a week ago, KCB and I were coming out of walmart after doing some grocery shopping when a moth decided it was going to live on her shirt and we had to keep prodding at it before it finally realized "ok drat I'll move"

It really liked that shirt and it just did not want to leave lol

Moths, man. Moths.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

So far this seems to be a game where the only two genders are "woman" and "woman with penis" and the ship is filled with:

captain: regular human woman
first mate: dog lady
person who mans the crows nest: some pixie
cook and maid: moth woman
engine person: horse lady
heavy lifter/book person: bear lady
sail maintenance: spider woman
the rest: sphinx lady and chameleon lady, I think that's it. As far as I can tell they don't actually contribute to the boat at all outside of performing various oddjob duties. Chameleon person is usually too tired to do anything so they sleep all day hidden away in the rafters, sphinx person is strong but she she also seems to mostly just be there to be an adventurer, she doesn't seem to be skilled in any one thing in particular like the rest.

They have not started to kill each other yet but the game says if I gently caress up too many times during sea battles, the crew'll get madder and madder until they mutiny.

ahh i can see you are a real expert on boats fak, not many people know the technical name "person who mans the crow nest"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love all things related to piracy and pirate history and idk poo poo about what the gently caress each job is on a ship.

Actually that's a lie, I know like...4. Crowsnest person is not one of them.

I looked it up just now and apparently it is "barrelman"

I'm familiar with powder monkey, quartermaster, captain, first mate, that's about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Moths > Butterflies

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I love all things related to piracy and pirate history and idk poo poo about what the gently caress each job is on a ship.

Actually that's a lie, I know like...4. Crowsnest person is not one of them.

I looked it up just now and apparently it is "barrelman"

I'm familiar with powder monkey, quartermaster, captain, first mate, that's about it

naval terminology confuses the gently caress out of me, so its not like i was making a dig at you. its just the way you described it was really funny to me for some reason

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

babypolis posted:

naval terminology confuses the gently caress out of me, so its not like i was making a dig at you. its just the way you described it was really funny to me for some reason

Fo'c'scle is a funny word

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so, there's something I have to say

gently caress eyeless hammers

that is all, thanks for reading

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

chumbler posted:

I recall that thread title being "Why do I have 1000 hours in this terrible game" like 5 years ago when I last played Warframe. It was at least slightly more true then, but the game sounds completely nuts and bloated now.

The devs have started and not quite finished a few things, started and finished but not balanced a lot more, and have talked in dev streams about their ideas that never actually come to fruit a billion times more. It's hilarious and amazing at the same time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the jp tales of community is women who vote on who the cutest tales boy is

Well who is it

I think it's Jade from Abyss personally

al-azad
May 28, 2009

babypolis posted:

You can probably thank the brits for that. Forecastle? Nah, fo'c'sl. Boatswain? Nah, bosun. It used to be starboard and larboard but you can probably imagine the confusion it caused when someone fell overboard so they changed larboard to port. You don't pull up, you hoist unless the action of hoisting is mechanical then it's trice. You don't pull out, you heave out. Food's cooked in the galley and eaten in the mess. Don't call it a hat, it's a cover.

I could go on all day, I love naval jargon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

babypolis posted:

:nws:probably something like this:nws:
(it's Oglaf)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played a lot of Switch over the weekend. A bit of Splatoon but really a whole bunch of Mario + Rabbids. I thought that I would be turned off by the cover system (always 100% chance to be hit if you are exposed) but it's become a real great benefit when combined with all the movement abilities the characters have. Each battle feels like a puzzle of positioning, with some of the challenge stages being almost entirely dependent on baiting enemies into the right spot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I played a lot of Switch over the weekend. A bit of Splatoon but really a whole bunch of Mario + Rabbids. I thought that I would be turned off by the cover system (always 100% chance to be hit if you are exposed) but it's become a real great benefit when combined with all the movement abilities the characters have. Each battle feels like a puzzle of positioning, with some of the challenge stages being almost entirely dependent on baiting enemies into the right spot.

I liked it up until i ran out of new powers to unlock.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am very mad because I read a review that said there is no fast travel in little witch academia so I spent the weekend schlepping sidequests around like a loving rube, and then the next story beat I did unlocked fast travel.

Automata'd again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Well who is it

There are several, like yuri and Leon who are so popular that they got removed from the polls to keep the list from being the exact same every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Well who is it

this

• Locked thread