Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys heard of Xenonion?

https://xenonion.com

https://twitter.com/XenonionNews/status/998249144824328192

quote:

Stage stormed during Ether Drake's Xenovision performance

Organizers of the Xenovision Song Contest are investigating how a stage invader managed to storm the Ether Drake’s performance last night on Tyznnia.

Broadcaster TeleShroud said an inquiry was already under way into the incident, which saw the stage invader immediately devoured by the Ether Drake.

Xenovision is the galaxy’s longest running annual music contest, currently in its 863rd year with over 20,000 species competing. Each participant submits an original song which is performed during the 3-7 month long contest, and viewers vote to determine the winning entry. The process was originally devised by the Galactic UN as a tool to foster interstellar peace, but that immediately came undone following the Blorg's first entry in the contest in 2150 with 'Riverdance.'

The Ether Drake’s performance of ‘Baby Drake’ was highly anticipated and billed as a ‘comeback’ from his recent year long stint at in rehab at St. Frontier Hospital for eating fans.

Unfortunately the graphic incident dented support from xenophiles, the program’s largest target audience, and the Ether Drake placed second last out of 21,135 entrants.

Indie band Spectral Wraith won the contest with their ethereal dance number ‘Pulsars.’ They had long been an early favourite, alongside The Great Khan’s angsty power ballad ‘Mid Game Crisis’ which finished in second place.

Its pretty great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A few weeks ago I posted about my passive aggressive, pacifist, psychic turtle people, and someone suggested I take a colossus to start pacifying people.

Best idea ever. I've been perpetually at war since the thing completed. Apparently the AI gets really scared when you start absorbing entire empires (and put half their planets in bubbles).

The galaxy is now three large federations: the bots, the xenophiles, and the warriors. The only one who hasn't yet declared war on me are the bots.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Gadzuko posted:

That would be cool. Lowered birth rate would be an interesting downside for utopian living. Also chemical bliss, which is basically useless right now. I don't even know what scenario chemical bliss is supposed to be for. It would be a more interesting choice if it was "no growth, but happy" versus the current "useless sack of meat, but happy" setup.

This would also be extremely cool.

If you conquer a shitload of planets chemical bliss the pissed of aliens to lower unrest for higher goods costs.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Shugojin posted:

The AI has never been any good at the tiles though.

Has there been any game where the AI was good at planetary tiles? Other than maybe I think the Galciv series?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That Guy Bob posted:

Has there been any game where the AI was good at planetary tiles? Other than maybe I think the Galciv series?

I can't really think of any other game that uses a similar system.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I loving hate pirate mechanic.

I lose two ships when the first pirates spawned ( my 200 v their 300 fleet power). I have bad rng with mineral spawns around me, thats cool.
But I'm still rebuilding my fleet. I have 175 fleet power. New pirates appeared (second system) and they have 765 fleet power. The year is only 2217

what the everliving gently caress.

I'm going to mod them out. Sick of it.

Edit; @Wiz, can we please have more control over pirate risk factor? I'm running utopian abundance species rights, so they are super duper happy. Why do I not get -% pirate risk? Please put more dev time into the piracy mechanic. Right now it's a tedious whack-a-mole mechanic at best. Sorry if I sound negative, Its just really frustrating early game and very annoying afterwards. I feel forced to take every system I can because its the only way to mitigate piracy.

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 21, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You shouldn't be running Utopian Abundance when you don't have enough minerals to build defensive fleets. Just because you can pick it doesn't mean you should.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the first pirate spawn happens after 10 years and prioritizes spawning in a system that doesn't connect to an empty system. You can block off a 2 energy shithole and park your fleet there and dust them the moment they spawn. After that it's free minerals and energy and even some tech every few years. If anything, pirates are too easy and predictable.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
In my current game I have an unclaimed system next to my home system that I've been ignoring in favor of REXing towards my neighbors' chokepoints (it's a pocket branch of four systems that I can backfill whenever I want). I've had pirates show up once and never again despite having unclaimed border systems all over the place. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cliffhanger posted:

Yes because tetris with buildings will make things better. Meanwhile the limitations of the tile system are limiting design. No megaplanets because 1 pop = 1 tile and special buildings that give minor bonus becomes a waste of space because planets are limited to 25 tiles.

Tile tetris is quite fun, for my money, but that doesn't preclude the new system being better certainly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I really like that they're changing the yellow triangle clicking simulator to something that will hopefully be a bit less tedious. I do worry a bit that the tile system was one of the only things that gave individual planets a personality though. I hope they can do something interesting with this new screen to do the same, even if it's something as simple as showing the planet in the background while the window is open.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Monkey posted:

It was still pretty lovely with the tiles before. It definitely sometimes has failure-cascade-empires happen but, at least in my games, its far from the ubiquitous problem some goons try to claim it is.
I think it was the switch to global food that did it. Before that pretty much every AI empire would have at least one planet in full revolt due to starvation, but the empire as a whole would be fine. Now it's a bit more binary where each empire is either absolutely fine or collapsing into apocalyptic cannibalism.

I wonder if a half and half system would work better. Keep things as they are now when things are going well, but if you run out of empire food then places that can feed themselves stay fine and it's only the food deficit planets that go full Donner Party.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

Edit; @Wiz, can we please have more control over pirate risk factor? I'm running utopian abundance species rights, so they are super duper happy. Why do I not get -% pirate risk? Please put more dev time into the piracy mechanic. Right now it's a tedious whack-a-mole mechanic at best. Sorry if I sound negative, Its just really frustrating early game and very annoying afterwards. I feel forced to take every system I can because its the only way to mitigate piracy.
That's your problem. Utopian abundance is something you work toward. Grabbing it early means not enough ships to stave off pirates and/or other empires, especially if you're mineral poor to begin with. Also, does Utopian Abundance mean everyone's too happy to go pirating, or does flaunting your wealth attract the attention of pirates from less generous empires and/or does the lack of poor people to look down on drive the remaining FYGM types into a bloodthirsty frenzy?

I'd love more contextual text on pirates, like how hive minds get rogue drones in their flavour text, it'd be great if running UA did start laying the blame on jealous aliens and rogue libertarians.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Splicer posted:

That's your problem. Utopian abundance is something you work toward. Grabbing it early means not enough ships to stave off pirates and/or other empires, especially if you're mineral poor to begin with. Also, does Utopian Abundance mean everyone's too happy to go pirating, or does flaunting your wealth attract the attention of pirates from less generous empires and/or does the lack of poor people to look down on drive the remaining FYGM types into a bloodthirsty frenzy?

The extra mineral cost for utopian abundance this early game is 4 minerals. 4. Also, I have not met any other empires and I expect in my perfect utopian society there are no poor. this system clearly needs to be worked out more.

speaking of: the idea for piracy that's been stuck in my head for months:
------------------------------------------------------

Stellaris Piracy 3.0

goal:
  • Make piracy more dynamic while simultaneously reducing the feeling of playing whack-a-mole with their fleets and stations by moving most piracy activity to unclaimed space. This will result in piracy generating empires (high risk) having a harder time exploring and constructing outposts.

Piracy risk
Causes
  • Base % based on ethics choices
  • Gestalt consciousness has 0% piracy risk and will never have pirates
  • Increased base % for empires that suppress the rights of their pops
  • Further increase base % for empires that specifically use slaves and castes
  • Decrease base % for empires that give extra rights to pops (like egalitarian)

Influence factors
  • Happiness influences piracy risk on a curve;
  • 0% global pop happiness = 100% piracy risk
  • 100% global pop happiness = 0% piracy risk (and thus no pirates)
Faction happiness:
  • To avoid complexity: happy faction = -20% base piracy risk
  • Unhappy faction = +20% base piracy risk
Starting civics
  • There’s one; police state. This would be a great opportunity to add a few more themed civics that also affect piracy risk (reduce or even increase!)
Traits
  • Possible for a traits to influence the piracy risk, eg: ‘docile species’ (-% piracy risk). ‘Impulsive nature’ +piracy risk
Tech
  • At least one tech to help out reduce the piracy risk, themed around high-tech -> high surveillance -> lower piracy
Future:
  • Diplomacy and spying trough rivals’ factions could trigger increased piracy risk for their empires
Fleet strength
  • There should be a factor that slowly increased or decreases piracy factor over time based on fleet strength compared to other empire fleet strength. And only after you have made diplomatic contact with other empires. This to signify that ‘hostile elements of your society’ sense the weakness in your government and military.

Pirate spawns
Locations
  • Always unoccupied system with at least 2 unoccupied systems within 4 jumps.
  • Always a source system with a small pirate asteroid station (like today)

Roaming targets
  • Use a variant of the space creature script set_aggro_range_**
  • The target system of pirate roaming will always be unoccupied systems
  • Pirates can go through occupied systems but only to reach their targeting system
  • Pirates will shoot at small mining stations on the way
  • Once a pirate system is established*1 (see below) pirate fleets can and will target occupied systems. With a higher preference to nearby colony systems.

Pop interaction
  • Pirate fleets that target colony systems will bombard and abduct pops (albeit rarely and infrequently). A cool event notifying you it first happened would add to the atmosphere.
  • When a pop is extremely unhappy, there’s a chance that pop disappears and becomes a pirate spawn. this would dynamically create more pirate ships based on the size of an empire.

Pirate fleets
Fleet spawn frequency
  • Depending on piracy risk factor this could be scaled from several years to once a decade.
  • Whenever a pop is so unhappy he leaves it should spawn a ship or small fleet that does not count towards the main spawn timer. This would happen more for large empires, but they have the resources to counter the increased piracy threats as well.

Fleet sizes
  • No more small fleets that are usually bigger than your main fleet.
  • The main piracy enemies are single ships or parties of 2 ships. Corvettes early game, with a chance for destroyers early-mid game.
  • Cruisers and battleship type pirates are reserved for “established”*1 pirate systems
  • Instead of spawning one 9-stack corvette pirate fleet, spawn 7to9 1-to-2-stack pirate fleets each roaming to random unoccupied systems. Their in-universe goal is to do piracy, intercept constructor and science ships. And with the trade update: pillage trade routes

Ship types
  • Corvettes and destroyers for free roaming pirates
  • Cruisers+ for established pirate systems
  • Tech level of ships always a full tier below to indicate lack of engineering knowledge on maintaining these tech levels

Pirate establishment(1) and diplomacy

When
  • Leaving a pirate asteroid station untouched for 10 years upgrades it to a pirate station (with station like graphics, think curator stations
What
  • Station is strong, 10.000+ fleet power, scaled to some extend with player tech level-1
  • Has few 1-3stack fleets floating around the system indicating pirates having a good time
  • Spawns roaming fleets of multiple ships and classes with direct goal of engaging nearby occupied systems and colonies
Diplomacy options
  • Established systems have a chance to “join” the marauder faction and become part of their empire. The pirate system will gain an outpost and a border. This could be a random event or dependant on some other factors. Could tie in neatly with diplomacy update with interactions as well. Perhaps they could form their own faction outside of marauders (for those without the dlc?)

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 21, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think piracy is a necessary mechanic at all. It's designed as a penalty to discourage players from leaving single system gaps in their empire, but this could be achieved much more easily via other mechanics if it really is such a big problem. Just give a happiness penalty to planets bordering uncolonised systems, job done.

The idea that a bunch of pirates could summon a fleet big enough to destroy your entire navy has always been silly. Piracy is always an irritant to empires, not one in danger of overthrowing them so simulating it as fleet battles in the early game is just silly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Guilliman posted:

I expect in my perfect utopian society there are no poor. this system clearly needs to be worked out more.

Bored of a life in which every desire is catered to, a society of philosophical radicals take to piracy not from material, but from spiritual need. They claim that the inherent [species] need for struggle and conflict is what makes life meaningful, and that if the state is to remove the natural sources of conflict, individuals must create their own and war against the state not to survive, but to live.

Though their actions have been widely denounced, certain unnamed sources within the armed forces express sympathy for the cause as they mobilize to suppress the society.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A representative from Special Circumstances has thus far refused to comment.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Guilliman posted:

The extra mineral cost for utopian abundance this early game is 4 minerals. 4. Also, I have not met any other empires and I expect in my perfect utopian society there are no poor. this system clearly needs to be worked out more.

You got so much wealth you're just handing it out for free! Surely you wouldn't mind if some pirates helped themselves to some of it, now? They deserve a little extra for putting in the work. :v:

Chalks posted:

I don't think piracy is a necessary mechanic at all. It's designed as a penalty to discourage players from leaving single system gaps in their empire, but this could be achieved much more easily via other mechanics if it really is such a big problem. Just give a happiness penalty to planets bordering uncolonised systems, job done.

The idea that a bunch of pirates could summon a fleet big enough to destroy your entire navy has always been silly. Piracy is always an irritant to empires, not one in danger of overthrowing them so simulating it as fleet battles in the early game is just silly.

Discouraging snake expansion is only half of it, the other half is to remind novice players that maybe they should start building up a fleet before they run into a neighbor who accidentally hits the 'declare war' button (and give players who did build a fleet a reason for the expense if they aren't warmongering). Wouldn't hurt to have better scaling on the pirate numbers though, having it start small but grow fast if left unchecked might be a good idea.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Guilliman posted:

The extra mineral cost for utopian abundance this early game is 4 minerals. 4.

4 minerals per month? That's pretty big in the early game. If we naively assume the same 4 minerals/month for the whole game, that's 17*12*4=816 minerals by 2217. If put into corvettes, that seems like it would have been enough (combined with the existing fleet) to take care of the second pirate spawn. Of course the extra consumer goods wouldn't have been 4 minerals at the start of the game, but the benefits of having minerals sooner would have snowballed too (e.g. by having a couple extra corvettes for the first spawn, so you wouldn't lose any).

Utopian abundance is likely worse than default living standards early game. If you're going from 50% to 70% happiness, you're basically wasting 10% in the 40-60 dead zone. That's why impoverished conditions are often pure profit at the start of the game too (though that's obviously not an option for you since you're egalitarian). Furthermore, you have less consumer goods discounts than later on, so the cost is greater. The benefit is also smaller, since you only have level 1 buildings, so the base production is smaller. It's fine to roleplay, of course, but sometimes that means accepting consequences from playing sub-optimally (like having a lot of pirate trouble, since you're spending a lot on the welfare of your citizens instead of military spending).

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Guilliman posted:

4 minerals when your income is 15-20 minerals is an enormous amount. You can't really have an abundant society if you don't have abundance.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah if you're running UA from the start, you're going to have a bad time.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Gyshall posted:

Yeah if you're running UA from the start, you're going to have a bad time.

Having a bad time is fine, having an impossible time is not. Clearly there's only one way to play and you all seem fine by that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i run UA from the start all the time

might be slightly suboptimal, doesn't ever seem to be terribly crippling though. you definitely want to have it running once factions spawn, which isn't that far into the timeline

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jazerus posted:

i run UA from the start all the time

might be slightly suboptimal, doesn't ever seem to be terribly crippling though. you definitely want to have it running once factions spawn, which isn't that far into the timeline

Me too, only seems debilitating if you get seriously screwed by the RNG with weak local mineral deposits or bottlenecked by space monsters.

Guilliman posted:

Stellaris Piracy 3.0

This all sounds pretty great to me. I'd say Warrior Clans would be the civic that adds piracy risk, seems the most fitting thematically. Either that or Corporate Dominion (some guys take "corporate raiding" way too seriously).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Vengarr posted:

I can see that, honestly. Sword of the Stars had multiple FTL types and it owned bones. It gave a lot of variety to the early-game and made every faction feel and play different.

And the reason it worked in SotS and didn't in Stellaris is because the races in SotS were fixed. You can have wildly different FTL types when you hardcode the races to have weaknesses and strengths to supplement their FTL type (or you don't care about balance). You can't when races are Stellaris style custom made (unless you don't care about balance). Imagine playing with Hivers but they get Tarka FTL - they'd be completely broken.

And before someone brings it up, yes Star Ruler 2 had did it, but it sort of worked in Star Ruler 2, despite the custom races, because that game's primary movement mechanic is STL and the FTL is basically a limited resource super-power, not the core identity of your race.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

Having a bad time is fine, having an impossible time is not. Clearly there's only one way to play and you all seem fine by that.
Running UA when you're in a mineral-rich start - probably not optimal but doable.

Running UA on a mineral-poor start - you are going to have a bad time.

Part of the game, any game, is adapting to your circumstances. In this circumstance you needed to have a good sit down with your populace and explain that the promised Bounty of Space wasn't manifesting and everyone was going to have to tighten their gold-plated belts for a few decades.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Are there no patch notes for tomorrow yet?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So the planet tiles are going away tomorrow?

I just started playing and I actually kinda liked it. But I only have 4 planets, I can see it becoming a chore when you got dozens

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just started playing and I actually kinda liked it. But I only have 4 planets, I can see it becoming a chore when you got dozens

Nah, the tiles are sticking around for a while. New anomalies and suchlike coming up tomorrow, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, next next patch. It's a while away.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Many words have been spilled to say basically this over and over.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If you really miss planet tiles and the old FTL scheme I have this one weird trick that Martin Anward hates!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wont, I didint had enough time to really like it, and now that I know its going away I wont get attached to it.

I do kinda feel I chose a bad time to start playing this game, when its on the verge of such radical changes

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wont, I didint had enough time to really like it, and now that I know its going away I wont get attached to it.

I do kinda feel I chose a bad time to start playing this game, when its on the verge of such radical changes

It's neat to be around before a system gets overhauled.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elias_Maluco posted:

The update tomorrow is new content and a bunch of back-end work to make events less buggy. There's no major overhauls of existing mechanics coming for a good few months. It's a good time to get in, as you'll be playing with tiles just long enough to work out why we're happy that they're getting reworked, but not long enough for Stockholm syndrome to set in.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Elias_Maluco posted:

The change to the tiles system could still be a year out for all we know.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Tile system works really well when going tall and if you forget the AI exists.

Sadly the game doesn't want either of those to happen so getting rid of them is excellent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are some cool mods with crazy adjacency buildings that make the tile system more of a neat puzzle. Plus the mod that makes the tile boni give you access to special buildings. You can build a farm, mine or power plant on any tile, but you can build better farms, mines and power plants on food, mineral or energy tiles respectively.

That said, I generally liked MoO3, at least the empire management. I could never get into the combat system. So I'm not opposed to the changes, I just didn't mind the tile system at all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thyrork posted:

It's neat to be around before a system gets overhauled.

I dont know. If I had started right before the FTL thing changed (I have no idea how it was before) and learned it and got used to it and then it got completely changed and for my second run its all different. Not like is a big problem, but makes me feel like Im wasting my time learning a system thats gonna get replaced

But I guess that's the problem and the beauty of paradox games: they never stop changing them. Although in case of Stellaris it seems like taking it further

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The change to the tiles system could still be a year out for all we know.

I think wiz said a big change like the tile system would be after both the diplomacy update and trade update. So thats two big updates away, likely a year +

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

If you really miss planet tiles and the old FTL scheme I have this one weird trick that Martin Anward hates!

Doesn't help if you like both old and new and just miss the old ones going away. Or I guess you could just install Steam on multiple computers, with different versions of Stellaris installed on every device. :shrug:

Luckily I got Space Empires V to run again on my Win10-PC, so I can be a bit more relaxed about Stellaris changing in the future. No more angry posts like when FTL was massacred.