Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You can also 'cheat' by using larger rings to cut down on the weight. Sure, you get less protection, but you probably are not planning to weather arrow fire with it. Should also make manufacturing easier, but will still be pretty authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

I showed your pics to a friend, a big FFXII fan with some stupid high cosplay standards. She applauds all of your hard work and getting all the colors right.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ugh, I primed a big chunk of everything last night aaaand the primer just scrapes off the PVC pipe even after keying the surface with fine grit sandpaper. I've got some bits with a hard keying drying now, and I've tried a coat of sealer on another spare bit. Any advice? Google suggests maybe treating with acetone first, but I really want to avoid remaking the whole thing to do that.

I've got a whole articulated robot hand made of PVC pipe planned and it's going to look like... well, plumbing pipe... if I can't paint it properly.

:(

Ideally I'd be using poslystyrene rather than PVC but I don't know where to get polystyrene pipes in the sizes I'd need.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 15, 2018

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

thespaceinvader posted:

Ugh, I primed a big chunk of everything last night aaaand the primer just scrapes off the PVC pipe even after keying the surface with fine grit sandpaper. I've got some bits with a hard keying drying now, and I've tried a coat of sealer on another spare bit. Any advice? Google suggests maybe treating with acetone first, but I really want to avoid remaking the whole thing to do that.

I've got a whole articulated robot hand made of PVC pipe planned and it's going to look like... well, plumbing pipe... if I can't paint it properly.

:(

Ideally I'd be using poslystyrene rather than PVC but I don't know where to get polystyrene pipes in the sizes I'd need.

Could you maybe spray them with Plasti-Dip first? The "barrel" of my gun for Balthier is PVC, and I had no issues with the pain sticking--but I did Plasti-dip, then primer, then paint.

animeluva1 posted:

I showed your pics to a friend, a big FFXII fan with some stupid high cosplay standards. She applauds all of your hard work and getting all the colors right.

Thanks!! That makes the hours and hours I spent squinting at screen caps and ordering dozens of fabric swatches seem slightly less crazy.

My next "big" project is Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm starting to work on the patterns and I already want to curse the character designer. Nothing about the way his clothing is put together makes sense from a construction stand point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Goldaline posted:

Could you maybe spray them with Plasti-Dip first? The "barrel" of my gun for Balthier is PVC, and I had no issues with the pain sticking--but I did Plasti-dip, then primer, then paint.

I should have, probably, but I didn't - I've had plastidip come off PVC anyway.

I've worked out a solution for the hand - cover the whole thing in foil tape.

The already-primed bits I'll probably just be super careful with and seal heavily.

E: FOIL TAPE yeah

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 20, 2018

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Hey y'all, cosplay question for you! I'm attempting to do a crossplay of Hitoshura/Demifiend from SMT: Nocturne for San Japan this year. I have all the costume parts and accessories, but I'm debating on a way to do the tattoos. I've seen other people cosplay the character and get a zentai suit done, but that's expensive. I also don't want to freehand the paint because its gotta look crisp. So my thoughts went to making a cast or a mold of my arms/legs and then cutting out the lines for the tattoos to paint with WolfeFX.

Does anyone have experience doing something like that, and if so, what materials do you suggest? I tossed around ideas for paper mache, poster board, or even cutting apart a shirt/tights to do the line work, but I'm still debating on the best way to get the lines crisp. Any help is appreciated! Here's the character:

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
I don't have any experience with this but maybe check out temporary tattoo paper? You can print on it

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Hey y'all, cosplay question for you! I'm attempting to do a crossplay of Hitoshura/Demifiend from SMT: Nocturne for San Japan this year. I have all the costume parts and accessories, but I'm debating on a way to do the tattoos. I've seen other people cosplay the character and get a zentai suit done, but that's expensive. I also don't want to freehand the paint because its gotta look crisp. So my thoughts went to making a cast or a mold of my arms/legs and then cutting out the lines for the tattoos to paint with WolfeFX.

Does anyone have experience doing something like that, and if so, what materials do you suggest? I tossed around ideas for paper mache, poster board, or even cutting apart a shirt/tights to do the line work, but I'm still debating on the best way to get the lines crisp. Any help is appreciated! Here's the character:

I've actually been considering doing Demifiend too, though I was planning on making a sheer nude mesh body suit with spandex applique for the tattoos. You could maybe use contact paper as a "mask" for your paint lines? I would maybe test how difficult it is to yank off your skin though...

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

Goldaline posted:

I've actually been considering doing Demifiend too, though I was planning on making a sheer nude mesh body suit with spandex applique for the tattoos. You could maybe use contact paper as a "mask" for your paint lines? I would maybe test how difficult it is to yank off your skin though...

Blackfish posted:

I don't have any experience with this but maybe check out temporary tattoo paper? You can print on it

I like both of these ideas, so I'll definitely look into them, thank you!

I'm trying to steer away from a body suit because I already tried out the makeup on a dancer's leotard and it looked like crap (it was makeup for skin, not cloth, after all, so the makeup bled), so I'm hoping to keep costs low but still be a major perfectionist. Cosplay in a nutshell, right? Plus, I have some UV/Glow in the Dark makeup to apply after adding the tattoos to get that signature glow :)

I'm a crocheter/knitter so I made myself a Pixie companion to tag along with me. US nickel for scale. I'm hoping she'll add to the costume.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

So, I have been tasked with replicating this nose from Double Dare. I have sculpting experience, but what materials should I use? I was leaning toward foam, but it needs to be sturdy and "solid" on the exterior.

Y'all know much better than I, can someone point me in the right direction?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frame it out and sculpt using bondo? You can easily paint it then.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I would go with Plasti-Dip/spray on rubber over foam. You'll want to glue a layer of fleece or other cheap stretchy fabric over the bare foam to give the rubber something to adhere to (otherwise the holes in the foam will just soak it up and you'll waste a lot of rubber on multiple coats) but you should end up with something that's smooth, paintable, sturdy enough to keep its shape but ultimately soft and flexible and lightweight.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Squarely Circle posted:

I would go with Plasti-Dip/spray on rubber over foam. You'll want to glue a layer of fleece or other cheap stretchy fabric over the bare foam to give the rubber something to adhere to (otherwise the holes in the foam will just soak it up and you'll waste a lot of rubber on multiple coats) but you should end up with something that's smooth, paintable, sturdy enough to keep its shape but ultimately soft and flexible and lightweight.

Using a heat gun to seal up the open cell foam keeps the spray on plastidip from soaking.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Choom Gangster posted:

So, I have been tasked with replicating this nose from Double Dare. I have sculpting experience, but what materials should I use? I was leaning toward foam, but it needs to be sturdy and "solid" on the exterior.

Y'all know much better than I, can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheap: Papier-mache' over an armature.

Expensive: Carve it from structural foam, then coat in fiberglass.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Middling: carve it from pink isulation foam, sand the everloving gently caress out of it, then slather it in a shitton of PVA glue.

Update on my own progress: I had to abandon my dream of doing an articulated robot hand. The size I chose was just too big to work, and I ended up not being able to make it move anywhere near far enough, so I moves on to a static version.

If I've time I might make multipl.e versions (loose, pointing, thumbs up) and swap them out during the day, but that's a big-rear end 'if'.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
So due to pretty strict new rules at Denver Comic Con I am trying to come up with a solution to having an umbrella as a prop. No Metal/Wood/Hard(?) plastics allowed for the handle and frame. It doesn't really have to open and shut at least but I need to come up with something that would be recognized as an umbrella. Any ideas?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Also just a rant but I find it incredibly frustrating that there are no real men's body suit patterns out there for sale. The McCall's suit from the yaya han collection is just OK but I wish there was a better option.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
for handle you could try electric wire pipe, its somewhat bendy and easy to cut and shape or possibly finfoam(thick foam insulator) with an thin harder core to prevent it from breaking, but frame without using metal...first thing that comes to my mind is thick wool string hardened with some 2 component glue.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If it isn't articulated, do you want a perma-open or a perma-closed umbrella? I'm probably going to suggest EVA foam for the frame regardless, although I'm not entirely sure how. Is wire allowed? That rule just seems *so* restrictive and not terribly sensible...

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah, those rules sounds pretty drat brutal. I'm really drat glad that the local festivals here have no official limits on materials

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Funhilde posted:

So due to pretty strict new rules at Denver Comic Con I am trying to come up with a solution to having an umbrella as a prop. No Metal/Wood/Hard(?) plastics allowed for the handle and frame. It doesn't really have to open and shut at least but I need to come up with something that would be recognized as an umbrella. Any ideas?

Would.... would they not allow a person to bring an actual umbrella if it were raining?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Slugworth posted:

Would.... would they not allow a person to bring an actual umbrella if it were raining?

I guess not! It feels so arbitrary tbh. Many people have decided to skip the con altogether due to the rules. Also no prop check in case you didn't see the rules.

https://denvercomiccon.com/show-info/policies/

legendof posted:

If it isn't articulated, do you want a perma-open or a perma-closed umbrella? I'm probably going to suggest EVA foam for the frame regardless, although I'm not entirely sure how. Is wire allowed? That rule just seems *so* restrictive and not terribly sensible...

Perma closed would be easiest. I found some super cheap wear on your head umbrellas that I may just try to add a "handle" to.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

It looks like only "metal and wooden" umbrellas are forbidden - it calls those out specifically so I assume plastic would be allowed. It also says "plastic parasols" are allowed. So I suspect you'd be okay with a cheap umbrella (but not a hefty antique one).

E: I see why people aren't going, though. These are some VERY cosplay-unfriendly rules. "Tops must be secure and of sturdy construction to avoid inadvertent “oops” moments and secured by more than glue"? How are they even going to be checking that?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

legendof posted:

It looks like only "metal and wooden" umbrellas are forbidden - it calls those out specifically so I assume plastic would be allowed. It also says "plastic parasols" are allowed. So I suspect you'd be okay with a cheap umbrella (but not a hefty antique one).

E: I see why people aren't going, though. These are some VERY cosplay-unfriendly rules. "Tops must be secure and of sturdy construction to avoid inadvertent “oops” moments and secured by more than glue"? How are they even going to be checking that?

I'm not really sure really. I think its mostly they want to be perceived as "family friendly" so they don't want too much T&A.

I have not found such a thing as an All plastic parasol for anyone other than a small doll.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

legendof posted:

How are they even going to be checking that?
I volunteer to test costumes. :wiggle:

is joke

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The Calgary Expo has some costume and prop rules that are extremely restrictive, but quite loosely enforced. I assume they're just in place to give leeway for stomping down idiots when the need arises.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Ugh, costume checks are the worst. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with them personally, but friends of mine have. Several years back, a rather busty friend of mine was wearing a super skimpy getup at our local con and staff members kept stopping her every 15 mins or so to make sure she wasn't going to have an "oops". After the sixth or seventh guy made her bounce up and down to see if she'd pop out of her top she was on the verge of tears and started calling staff out for being sexist pigs that just wanted to stare at her chest and were hoping for nip slips. I have no idea if they ever changed their gross policies, but at least we didn't get stopped and harassed the rest of the day.. :geno:

And for the record, yeah, it was always a male staff member asking her to do this.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Yeeeaaah, thats just plain sexual harassment and nothing else

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My cosplay for UK Games Expo is basically finished. I don't have a final glamour shot of it all with weathering and stuff yet, but all the major bits are together.

The droid - R-M8E - sits on my shoulder.

The eyepatch

The coat

Closer up shot of the shoulder pad and the logo.

I've also got a robot arm, plus fabric parts, and some accessories including a belt pouch, a water bottle (this thing is super hot) and a nerf gun a friend painted, plus a holster I made myself.
E: full photos are on my instagram at tsicreative if anyone wants a look.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 21, 2018

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

thespaceinvader posted:

My cosplay for UK Games Expo is basically finished. I don't have a final glamour shot of it all with weathering and stuff yet, but all the major bits are together.

The droid - R-M8E - sits on my shoulder.

The eyepatch

The coat

Closer up shot of the shoulder pad and the logo.

I've also got a robot arm, plus fabric parts, and some accessories including a belt pouch, a water bottle (this thing is super hot) and a nerf gun a friend painted, plus a holster I made myself.

That is super cool looking

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

The droid - R-M8E

The whole thing looks like it's going to be awesome, but this right here is the best part. :D

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
I've been working on Ephraim forever.

Here's a bunch of progress pics so far this year.

Tunic

Brooch

Cape

Next up is the chest armor, which'll be challenging, but a lot of fun!

McPantserton, I know you were working on Eirika, have you made any progress on that? Is your leg fully healed by now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Here's a final shot:

There's more on my instagram, PM me if you want, or take your own at UK Games Expo.

Acid Reflux posted:

The whole thing looks like it's going to be awesome, but this right here is the best part. :D

Literally the whole costume idea grew out of that one terrible pun I am absurdly proud of it.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sorry, post in wrong thread.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 22, 2018

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
G'day cunts welcome to youkoso Japari National Nature Reserve

Hat and regular pre-bought clothes definitely the easiest part of becoming aussified Kaban from Kemono Friends.

Over the next few days I'll be making the iconic bag, adding red and black cuffs to some cargo shorts, adding velcro to the Holden shirt to attach patches, and of course making a boomerang holster so that lethal and renewable long-range protection is within easy reach

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I counted my current cosplay projects- 8+

Clients-
Sith accessories
Black body suit for a Darling in the Franxx costume
Weiss Schnee

Personal-
Fix up Squirrel Girl- new belt and tail rigging
Pin Up Sailor V

Group costume of the Adventure Zone
Taako
Lup
John
the Hunger
baby voidfish

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I did Taako for Halloween last year.
No pictures because I was embarassed that not a single person recognized me.

However, the hat had a 2-foot brim and I loved it.

I'll see if it's in storage.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi Cosplay Thread!

I'm dipping into reenacting (late iron age, early medieval scandi), and I can't seem to find a proper hand sewing or reenactor thread on the forums. Anyone knows if there is one? Otherwise I'll be posting here.

tia!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The threads I can find where you might find kindred souls:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474987 - Leatherworking
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844 - Blacksmithing
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643153 - Embroidery
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701891 - Sewing and DIY Fashion

Please keep posting here, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You're an absolute treasure! My search function yielded nothing for some reason.

Okay, I will.