Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

akuma is better in tekken 7 than ryu is in super smash bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MysteriousStranger posted:

Requires much more execution on combos and is made of tissue paper.

"requires execution" is not a real problem in a game - nay, an entire genre - that revolves around every single character requiring execution

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sharrrk posted:

akuma is better in tekken 7 than ryu is in super smash bros

When are they going to add his proper lore-accurate costume to Tekken 7, huh?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually, this toilet-brush looking motherfucker is the perfect mascot for SFV.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Bleck posted:

"requires execution" is not a real problem in a game - nay, an entire genre - that revolves around every single character requiring execution

It can be for some people, the OP asked for "simple combos" and that is not Akuma. If you want simple shoto, Akuma aint it. Glad you missed his post and all but my point holds.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Everything in this game is the same and if you can play one char you can play them all.

Like honestly there's like 3 things in this game that are actually any harder to execute than other things and none of them are required to be good with whatever char they belong to.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MysteriousStranger posted:

It can be for some people, the OP asked for "simple combos" and that is not Akuma. If you want simple shoto, Akuma aint it. Glad you missed his post and all but my point holds.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Like honestly there's like 3 things in this game that are actually any harder to execute than other things and none of them are required to be good with whatever char they belong to.

yeah, that

like yeah sure there's probably some super tight really long three frame combos that Akuma can do that other characters can't but like I can't help but think that how good he is in this game has little and less to do with that

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
The difference in damage and setup potential between a character's hardest combo and their reliable BNB is negligible at best for 90% of the cast so just do the simple thing and enjoy the easy wins

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jack Trades posted:

I'm assuming Harada took one look at that, and when he stopped laughing, insisted on the OG appearance.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

I'm assuming Harada took one look at that, and when he stopped laughing, insisted on the OG appearance.

Wasn’t akuma in the arcade version? The one that predates season 2?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

Wasn’t akuma in the arcade version? The one that predates season 2?

Yeah T7FR came out a few months before Akuma was available in SFV but presumably Bamco and Capcom shared art beforehand.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

In Training posted:

Yeah T7FR came out a few months before Akuma was available in SFV but presumably Bamco and Capcom shared art beforehand.

Why would they do that though? Its not like T7 was a recent release ready to cross promote SFV, it had been out for a while before then and Bamco has its own priorites.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Spuckuk posted:

You can put deck out akuma with rainbow hair, a shower head, floral shirt and frog pants in tekken 7 and he still looks infinitely cooler than his default sfv design..

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

You can put deck out akuma with rainbow hair, a shower head, floral shirt and frog pants in tekken 7 and he still looks infinitely cooler than his default sfv design..

How else were they going to make bank selling you those nostalgia costumes?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

MrJacobs posted:

Why would they do that though? Its not like T7 was a recent release ready to cross promote SFV, it had been out for a while before then and Bamco has its own priorites.

because akuma was leftover from the dead tekken x sf game that was supposedly going to come out

edit: oh i misread your comment, i just meant that this is why hes in the game in this form

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 21, 2018

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zand posted:

because akuma was leftover from the dead tekken x sf game that was supposedly going to come out

Which was also well before the redesign sf5. Does bamco still accept designs and feedback from cd projekt red over Geralt?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's nice that Tekken has got a director with such clear vision and good sense for the series. He saw the writing on the wall for SFxT, said "actually guys, let's bail out of this plane before it crashes," and still managed to wring some money out of the assets they'd already started on while representing the character better than his own franchise has in 10 years.

e: it rules too that tekken is the only fighting game franchise whose future seems like it's not in jeopardy with every new release. I'm pretty sure Harada is gonna show up to Evo 2041 with his newly installed cybernetic arms and legs to announce Tekken XXXVII for the Sony Brainstation 3.

Sade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 21, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i mean honestly the worst part about tekken is the absurd install size on any platform

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Parachute posted:

i mean honestly the worst part about tekken is the absurd install size on any platform

someone told me the reason why its this way is because of uncompressed videos from the older games being in the install, is this actually true

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zand posted:

someone told me the reason why its this way is because of uncompressed videos from the older games being in the install, is this actually true

I just checked and video from older Tekken games take up "only" 11 out of 70GB.
Videos from the Tekken 7 Story Mode take up an additional 12.5 GB.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sade posted:

It's nice that Tekken has got a director with such clear vision and good sense for the series. He saw the writing on the wall for SFxT, said "actually guys, let's bail out of this plane before it crashes," and still managed to wring some money out of the assets they'd already started on while representing the character better than his own franchise has in 10 years.

e: it rules too that tekken is the only fighting game franchise whose future seems like it's not in jeopardy with every new release. I'm pretty sure Harada is gonna show up to Evo 2041 with his newly installed cybernetic arms and legs to announce Tekken XXXVII for the Sony Brainstation 3.

People bitch about how long it takes from arcade release to home release, but that business model is the reason Tekken as a franchise is in a healthy place and most of it's design choices don't seem to born out of desperation. It also helps that the company producing the game isn't the corporate equivalent of Mr. Scrooge.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It also helps that they don't piss off or fire their most talented developers and directors.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Ono bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whats he done good except that one blanka alt costume?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nothing, I feel like every time there's talk on what he actually does at Capcom it seems like he is the equivalent of Queen of England. A face they use to interact with their audience. What he actually does in terms of work on the game, I could not loving tell you.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

He means well, probably

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Congratulations I like SFV Akuma more now.

I still really enjoy this game but lately I've been feeling Tekken envy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Congratulations I like SFV Akuma more now.

I still really enjoy this game but lately I've been feeling Tekken envy.

It's okay to like both imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tekken 7 is real loving good.

Having tried a bunch of fighters after being disappointed with the loving disaster that is SFV, Tekken 7 ended up being the closest thing to the kind of gameplay I like.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

man nurse posted:

It's okay to like both imo

Never played a 3D fighter so I'm definitely looking forward to trying it next time it goes on sale.

Thinking of starting to learn someone new, and was considering Chun-li. Other than Cammy just doing what she does better, are there any glaring problems with her? Going to be honest, I can't stand Cammy's voice.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Play Karen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In the alpha games

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

FanaticalMilk posted:

It also helps that the company producing the game isn't the corporate equivalent of Mr. Scrooge.

in the defense of these scrooge companies, they don't have the unlimited black holes of money known as "idolmaster" and "gundam" to draw from that lets them fund games without shaking their customers down for quarters

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

darealkooky posted:

in the defense of these scrooge companies, they don't have the unlimited black holes of money known as "idolmaster" and "gundam" to draw from that lets them fund games without shaking their customers down for quarters

Wait, they made a Gundam Idolmaster game? Like you turn giant robots into Japanese pop stars?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I would argue Capcom has had equal opportunities with the licenses they've worked with over the years. They just completely squandered them unlike Namco. Capcom has worked with Marvel, Dungeons & Dragons, Tatsunoko, Fate/Stay Night, SNK, lots of Namco properties, JoJo's, and Disney. They've had their chances.

MrJacobs posted:

Wait, they made a Gundam Idolmaster game? Like you turn giant robots into Japanese pop stars?

Stop spoiling the E3 announcements already!

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 22, 2018

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Jack Trades posted:

Having tried a bunch of fighters after being disappointed with the loving disaster that is SFV

I really don't get these posts (no offense meant btw).

Is it a "disaster" because of the state it was released in and Capcom's management of online (at least at first)? Or is it because of the 3 frames thing and the all-out aggression gameplay? I think the game does sorely need some defensive options but huh I really don't want it to turn into the horrifying turtle fest that SF4 was at times.

I'm all for easier combo links and pros still drop them under pressure, so I don't get the "game's too easy" argument. I was curious about SF5's state when I got back- this thread was dead so I checked Reddit (ewww) and boy people would have you believe that the game only rewards button mashing scrubs, suddenly turning them into competitive players. But I see the same names winning tournaments, the same level of play at the top, and the last grandfinal I watched (Infiltration vs Fujimura) was pretty amazing.

Granted I'm Gold right now (I only ever got to Platinum with Ryu right after release) so better players than me might see things differently, but drat I don't get the massive negativity in some of the posts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No one really says its too easy. Fgs are as hard as the opponent you are playing

Its a trash game with trash presentation, trash value proposition at launch, trash monetization, trash netcode, trash playstyle diversity, trash mechanics, and trash ryu.

Nobody but the dumbest sf4 get gud crew is mad about easy links

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The one thing SFV did right was getting rid of 1f links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Exactly