Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 in particular has pretty easy encounter design, and it's entirely possible for the difficultly curve to break entirely as a function of something the game makes relatively easily available to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/998751790354128903

Whoops

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Motto posted:

P5 in particular has pretty easy encounter design, and it's entirely possible for the difficultly curve to break entirely as a function of something the game makes relatively easily available to you.

Unless you're like me and tried to play on hard mode in your first playthrough :shepicide:

I made it past the Archangel boss before giving up and switching back to normal. Every encounter was decided by whoever made the first attack

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Xad posted:

Oh, weird thing I noticed in P3P at least: if you're trying to get a certain ability in a fusion but it's not there when you check what the result would be, back out to the menu where you can select what type of fusion you want to do (double, triple, etc.) and go back in and select the same fusion again. It'll sometimes make the game pick different abilities for the resulting persona to inherit.
You don't even need to go that far back out. If you just cancel the fusion, cancel the last Persona you selected and select it again, it'll randomly select new skills to pass on. It can still be a bit annoying/time consuming to get the skills you want. Also, as with later games, not all skills are available to be passed on during fusion.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Xad posted:

Unless you're like me and tried to play on hard mode in your first playthrough :shepicide:

I made it past the Archangel boss before giving up and switching back to normal. Every encounter was decided by whoever made the first attack

I did the same thing. I figured I played and beat P4G on hard my first time through and it was a good challenge, why not do the same for P5.

And it was miserable for the first dungeon until I gave up and went back to normal.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dehry posted:

I called them Nepgear Fans.

Do Nepgear Fans exist?

Approval Rating: 0%

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, I heard some things about P5’s localization but it really stands out after finishing Nier Automata. Like, it’s not awful but, like, man, there’s at least a few lines a scene that would have been reworded with a better crew in TTOOL 2017.

Also, as long as I’m boosting social stats for confidants or doing poo poo like brewing coffee that makes Palaces take less time, I’m not wasting time, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well now I get all those memes about Morgana. It's seriously gotten kind of infuriating. "You can do stuff in the evening's now! Oh wait, except half the loving time this annoying cat won't let you!" And at first the thing about not being able to when you are in the palaces seems reasonable, but then they throw Mementos on top of that. I still prefer playing without a guide but now I see why people recommend them, because otherwise trying to avoid arbitrary bullshit preventing you from doing things is nearly impossible.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Date your teacher

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Well now I get all those memes about Morgana. It's seriously gotten kind of infuriating. "You can do stuff in the evening's now! Oh wait, except half the loving time this annoying cat won't let you!" And at first the thing about not being able to when you are in the palaces seems reasonable, but then they throw Mementos on top of that. I still prefer playing without a guide but now I see why people recommend them, because otherwise trying to avoid arbitrary bullshit preventing you from doing things is nearly impossible.

You should go to bed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Date your teacher

Does that stop the annoying cat from preventing me from studying or reading or watching DVDs?

Last Celebration posted:

You should go to bed.

Touché.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Does that stop the annoying cat from preventing me from studying or reading or watching DVDs?

Touché.

When you get her Link high enough you can call her for a massage to regain your Evening after getting back from a Palace or Mementos, it's VERY useful

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hunter Noventa posted:

When you get her Link high enough you can call her for a massage to regain your Evening after getting back from a Palace or Mementos, it's VERY useful

That's cool, I wish there weren't so many mandatory times it forces you to do certain things though. This drat cat is making me rack up late fees.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wait you can actually get late fees? I kept racking them up and the rental store was just like, "okay but this time's the last time we're waiving the penalty, for real this time."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TwoPair posted:

Wait you can actually get late fees? I kept racking them up and the rental store was just like, "okay but this time's the last time we're waiving the penalty, for real this time."

Oh huh. I got that the first time and I just assumed that when I take this next one back late I'd actually be charged. :shrug:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean maybe eventually? I know I got away with it like 3 times. Maybe they finally start enforcing the policy on the 4th time

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well that's good to know then. Still, I'd like to watch the drat thing at some point. Persona seems really weird and kind of the reverse of most games, where they basically cut you loose from tutorial ville fairly early but then make the actual game very restrictive in certain ways, contrasted with games that handhold and make you do everything as they want until they let you out into a reasonably open environment. It's hard to get used to, especially since I'm also playing 3 when my gf occupies the main tv and it doesn't seem to do it nearly as much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I am 95% sure late fees don't actually exist in the game. I've read uncountable posts from people talking about all the excuses the clerk came up with to waive the fees, and not once have I ever heard anyone who actually had to pay.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

I am 95% sure late fees don't actually exist in the game. I've read uncountable posts from people talking about all the excuses the clerk came up with to waive the fees, and not once have I ever heard anyone who actually had to pay.

Can confirm. I returned every DVD days late, one to the tune of nearly 100,000 yen thanks to the school trip and forgetting completely about it after, and never once paid a fee.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Someone has started posting the video numbers from Dancing Star Night. Life Will Change got a pretty amazing video.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The existence of timeskips or days where you're otherwise unable to return stuff would prob make return fees as an actual thing just annoying.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

The existence of timeskips or days where you're otherwise unable to return stuff would prob make return fees as an actual thing just annoying.

Yeah that's pretty much the reason they left them out i think, don't want you to accidentally lose all your money.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hunter Noventa posted:

Someone has started posting the video numbers from Dancing Star Night. Life Will Change got a pretty amazing video.

So they made a long version of one of the best Persona 5 videos of all time?

https://youtu.be/MXUYZxsku-Q

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

waah posted:

Yes, basically.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hadn't thought about it until I fought him on my second playthrough but regarding the 7th palace's boss I like how all the other bosses are twisted monsters but Shido is pretty much just him because that's evil enough. :v:

waah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWQFnC2zqU

No it's still 14 seconds long.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hunter Noventa posted:

All I could think of watching the Morgana bus driving down the street was the runaway five going to threed.

"Hey sidewalk! Get outta my way!"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gotta say I'm not really a fan of the remixes for Persona 5. I feel like it works better for Persona 3 and 4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've actually cooled off on a lot of the P3 soundtrack. Outside of Battle for Everyone's Souls and the version of Burn my Dread they used for Arena, I think the rest of the soundtrack pales in comparison to the future games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think I'd ever heard Brand New Days before because yo, gently caress The Answer, and that remix is a banger

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've actually cooled off on a lot of the P3 soundtrack. Outside of Battle for Everyone's Souls and the version of Burn my Dread they used for Arena, I think the rest of the soundtrack pales in comparison to the future games.

As someone who played the series backwards for some reason starting with 5, 3's soundtrack is head-and-shoulders above any other Persona soundtrack IMO

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
P3's OST I think is imminently more memorable, but I think I get tired of it more quickly than 4 or 5's. 4 is probably the most easily listenable, and 5 misses a lot, but when it hits, it swings for the loving fences.

Need more Lotus Juice, though.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Coughing Hobo posted:

P3's OST I think is imminently more memorable, but I think I get tired of it more quickly than 4 or 5's. 4 is probably the most easily listenable, and 5 misses a lot, but when it hits, it swings for the loving fences.

I have basically the same opinion on 4 and 5. I had to go back and listen to 3 again, though, because I had forgotten a lot of the songs. Doing that reminded me why I had forgotten a lot of them, and it's because (like you said) I get tired of them rather quickly, even though I do like most of them when I haven't heard them in a while. I generally wouldn't listen to 3's OST (with a few exceptions) outside of the game, whereas I would and still do with 4 and 5.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The remix of Battle for Everyone's Souls for Margaret in Ultimax is A+, though.

4's heights aren't as strong as 3, but the overall soundtrack is generally easier to keep on a shuffle.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Wiping All Out is the best random battle theme in any Persona game.

I'm not a princess!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Need more Lotus Juice, though.

I dunno about a lot. Off the top of my head the only song I actively disliked was the Mementos theme.

4's got my least favorite soundtrack, even counting 1 and 2. I like a few of the songs (Pursuing my True Self, I'll Face Myself, Heaven, Magatsu Inaba's theme and Heartbreak, Heartbreak are all great) but overall it was just kinda 'there' to me.

Master of Shadows/Master of Tartarus are both outstanding.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 28, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I still have trouble deciding what's my favorite thing in the video, "Simpsona" or the ammo counter going to minus one.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kimi no Kioku is the best ending theme by far.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The party member girls in P5 are trash tier waifus eh

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamin P posted:

Better than anyone in loving Persona 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The real answer is that none of the girls in Persona 3/4/5 are dateable, but several of the boys are.