Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I even told them that I could make up a clearly embellished version that only an idiot would believe, and that it would be making the rounds by Monday.

You should have, it's an important part of being a sailor.

I've started a few good rumors. One was that we were going to have a port visit in Beijing.

Another was that there was a feud between the FCs and STGs over whether the book 100 Years of Solitude, or Cry the Beloved Country was better and that it had culminated in a fistfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
There's nothing more I enjoyed on deployments than going downn to the smoke deck and listening to all the rumors the Sailors were passing around. It's funny how much Sailors would open up to a random O about all the goings on down there.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

orange juche posted:

considering a lethal dose in humans is 40-60mg, a seizure and then living is getting off easy. How in the gently caress was this dude able to take a drag on his vape without dying himself?
This is a dumb question, but I'm not a chemist and I need to know: what's the difference between taking 1 drag of 50mg and 50 drags of 1mg?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Gray Matter posted:

This is a dumb question, but I'm not a chemist and I need to know: what's the difference between taking 1 drag of 50mg and 50 drags of 1mg?

I'm going to guess the heart having time during those 50 drags to spread it round your body

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Another was that there was a feud between the FCs and STGs over whether the book 100 Years of Solitude, or Cry the Beloved Country was better and that it had culminated in a fistfight.

Man, my brain tells me that this is way too specific for anyone to believe, and yet after 9 years in the Navy I have no doubt that if I heard it, I would believe it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That’s the beauty of it, it’s mundane enough yet with enough specific detail/content to register on the plausible meter

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

considering a lethal dose in humans is 40-60mg, a seizure and then living is getting off easy. How in the gently caress was this dude able to take a drag on his vape without dying himself?

I'm going to guess that the juice is 50mg per (measurement of fluid that is larger than what fits in the reservoir), not 50mg per puff/session or whatever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

McNally posted:

I'm going to guess that the juice is 50mg per (measurement of fluid that is larger than what fits in the reservoir), not 50mg per puff/session or whatever.

It's mg/ml.

1 ml, depending on what kind of base is used is going to be slightly above 1 gram, or 1000 mg.

12-18 mg/ml is comparable to a cigarette. I would guess 50 would be like smoking an entire cigarette in one drag.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's mg/ml.

1 ml, depending on what kind of base is used is going to be slightly above 1 gram, or 1000 mg.

12-18 mg/ml is comparable to a cigarette. I would guess 50 would be like smoking an entire cigarette in one drag.

And here I was thinking the whole point of vaping was to wean yourself off it not put gigantic doses of nicotine into your body

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

And here I was thinking the whole point of vaping was to wean yourself off it not put gigantic doses of nicotine into your body

Instead, the whole point is to feed your nicotine addiction even in places where you can’t burn a rolled-up bunch of chemically treated plants.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZekeNY posted:

Instead, the whole point is to feed your nicotine addiction even in places where you can’t burn a rolled-up bunch of chemically treated plants.

I really wonder what kind of vape shenanigans are happening in the Navy.

A few of the smokers in my shop had figured out how to use a shop vac to suck up smoke and then filter it out so they could smoke in the fan room connected to the shop.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really wonder what kind of vape shenanigans are happening in the Navy.

A few of the smokers in my shop had figured out how to use a shop vac to suck up smoke and then filter it out so they could smoke in the fan room connected to the shop.

EP

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ZekeNY posted:

You're loving-A right it is

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've started a few good rumors.

It was a classic will we/won't we make the upcoming port call: Skipper was hanging out in the ready room with us and said something like "Yeah, I know [X rumor] has been going around, I've talked it through CAG Ops and apparently that might happen..." and one of the senior JOs turns around: ":stare: actually sir, I started that one"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
lol when the CO asks if we can get a port call somewhere specific and squadron says sure

Apparently thats how we got an 6 hour swim call and steel beach anchored between Lanai and Maui. Not a port call, but ask and yee shall revive

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thanks Big (Reserve) Navy for cutting off E-AT right as my orders were in the pipe and not yet cut.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sitting in a USNS ship off of NYC in my pearly whites in utter fear of dirt or grime.

Goddamn seagulls.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Sitting in a USNS ship off of NYC in my pearly whites in utter fear of dirt or grime.

Goddamn seagulls.

Go pay for your t-shirt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hopper's skipper just got shitcanned for frat.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'll just post this in every related thread

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Anyone been to Naples and have any suggestions for places to eat/stuff to do? Only there for a week and not really sure what our schedule will be like so I kind of want to skip learning on my own where the avoid at all costs touristy type stuff is. The week before we'll be in Bahrain (during Ramadan no less :cry:) so drinking will obviously be important.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Othin posted:

Anyone been to Naples and have any suggestions for places to eat/stuff to do? Only there for a week and not really sure what our schedule will be like so I kind of want to skip learning on my own where the avoid at all costs touristy type stuff is. The week before we'll be in Bahrain (during Ramadan no less :cry:) so drinking will obviously be important.

When I was TAD to 6th Fleet, I just took a bus downtown and walked around to whatever looked interesting. It was a solid plan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't go to Naples unless you're visiting the areas on the hill. Other than that, there's Capri and Sorrento - both are gorgeous and will leave you with memories for a lifetime. Just be sure you can budget a full day for Capri.

But sea-level Naples is like Barcelona without the charm. And you're just as likely to be robbed/pickpocketed in either.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 25, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Othin posted:

Naples is ok but really, hop the train and go to Rome. Take a couple hundred Euros out of the bank and go tour Rome as it is cool as gently caress. I went up to St. Peter's Square and wandered all around the city, got lost on some side streets, ate good food, bought counterfeit merch. Go tour the Coliseum in Rome while you're at it. There's a train that runs from Naples to Rome in like 40 minutes.

It's touristy but it's really loving good, and you will never ever see it again if you don't do it now. Take a good camera with you.

I have pictures kicking around on my hard drive from where I walked around Athens in Greece, I walked up to the Acropolis and wandered all around the Parthenon and took a bunch of pics, didn't buy any touristy poo poo though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 24, 2018

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Othin posted:

Leave Naples and go anywhere else. Sorrento is beautiful.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Othin posted:

Thirding go to Rome. You can go there without a plan, wander around, relax, have an espresso at any bar. All the food is good.

Naples sucks and my liberty buddy got robbed there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
One time I was in Naples and I went to Pompéi, the brothel was pretty cool, do that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ManMythLegend posted:

Leave Naples and go anywhere else. Sorrento is beautiful.

Concur. Take the train down the Amalfi coast. Get off anywhere.

I strongly recommend you walk into literally any restaurant anywhere and get the special with the house red. If they ask if you want lemoncello for dessert, yes; they probably made it in the back room.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pompeii is cool AF, recommend you get there in the morning hours.

Also there is another buried city called herculaneum which is super cool too.

Other than those sites and a couple museums Naples is pretty much poo poo. Goto Rome or the Amafi coast.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

One time I was in Naples and I went to Pompéi, the brothel was pretty cool, do that.

Navy Thread: the brothel was pretty cool, do that.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Thanks everyone. We're going to end up flying in on a Friday and having the weekend off so we'll hit Rome on Saturday and then try for Capri or Sorrento on Sunday. Herculaneum seems relatively close so we'll try that on a week day if we get off early.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Othin posted:

Thanks everyone. We're going to end up flying in on a Friday and having the weekend off so we'll hit Rome on Saturday and then try for Capri or Sorrento on Sunday. Herculaneum seems relatively close so we'll try that on a week day if we get off early.

The hydrofoil is cheaper/quicker leaving from Sorrento to Capri, but it's like the difference of 20 vs. 40 minutes. The slow boat takes about an hour and a half once it gets underway (again, quicker when leaving from Sorrento). I remember it feeling like longer leaving from Naples proper, but I think we waited at the dock for a while. If it's a clear enough day, have fun seeing the *gigantic* jellyfish/man-o-wars in the water on the way there.

Plus you get to check "rode on a hydrofoil" off your list.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 25, 2018

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Just graduated from BESS yesterday. Highlight of the day was during practice when Senior Chief told us that furries are not authorized.

2 months down, 8 more to go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol some idiot was walking around with a tail hanging out of his pants?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

From what was said: onesie, tail, and clawed slippers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Between tails and a kid who wouldn't stop running around in his spiderman costume our CO had to write specific instruction prohibiting the wearing of costumes outside of command sanctioned functions.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I love Memorial Day weekend. I love that somewhere, someone just found out they made rank and is going to go out and get stupid and go to mast and get busted down.

DustyNuts posted:

I'll just post this in every related thread

This is amazing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Who’s my liberty buddy for a musical! Anybody? Anybody?

Where’d all you fuckers go.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Just graduated from BESS yesterday. Highlight of the day was during practice when Senior Chief told us that furries are not authorized.

2 months down, 8 more to go.

Enjoy your months of ACU while you pick up trash and vacuum floors in the chief & officer barracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh man why didn’t anyone tell me you have beer night on navy ships? This poo poo is awesome!