Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a bad idea because it can’t possibly hold enough spices for many kitchens.

Not to mention that thing is huge and takes up a lot of counter space compared to a spice rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

Barring how dumb that thing is in general if you have hands, I'd imagine poo poo that you don't want would get in there, assuming it's all shooting out of the same hole and being ground by the same grinder. "lemme just get a nice pinch of cinnamon...and dill? and curry wtf?"

veni veni veni posted:

Barring how dumb that thing is in general if you have hands, I'd imagine poo poo that you don't want would get in there, assuming it's all shooting out of the same hole and being ground by the same grinder. "lemme just get a nice pinch of cinnamon...and dill? and curry wtf?"

Lol you expect this thing to GRIND spices? That needs a $250 upgrade. No the Spicero is all pre-ground spice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I for one can't wait to have bluetooth connectivity issues with my spice rack.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a bad idea because it can’t possibly hold enough spices for many kitchens.

That doesn't make it a bad idea that makes it bad in execution.

Away all Goats posted:

Not to mention that thing is huge and takes up a lot of counter space compared to a spice rack

That's again a problem with dumb execution. I like the idea of some sorta thing that makes spice mixes without me having to remember what the poo poo went into berbere mix or whatever. This thing is dumb though but if it was in the form factor of a spicerack, held more spices, didn't take up so much space, didn't have DRM spicepods, was chea... So yeah the basic idea is OK but everything else is dumb.

General Emergency has a new favorite as of 09:14 on May 22, 2018

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

General Emergency posted:

That's again a problem with dumb execution. I like the idea of some sorta thing that makes spice mixes without me having to remember what the poo poo went into berbere mix or whatever. This thing is dumb though but if it was in the form factor of a spicerack, held more spices, didn't take up so much space, didn't have DRM spicepods, was chea... So yeah the basic idea is OK but everything else is dumb.

So if it was a completely different thing, it would be good. Gotcha.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

General Emergency posted:

Their idea is to build that specific thing, and the idea is bad.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

So if it was a completely different thing, it would be good. Gotcha.

Pretty much, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I agree that the idea of spices is good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

veni veni veni posted:

That's really not a big deal. You should be grinding whole spices anyway, since already-powdered ones age too fast and lose flavor, and it's not like you use a different grinder for each spice. Getting a little bit of cumin residue in with your coriander isn't anything earth-shattering.

But this thing isn't even grinding anything, it's the already-powdered spices you buy at the grocery store except in even smaller and more overpriced quantities. There's no level on which this thing isn't dumb.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It’s a scam. It’s really dumb and basically identical to something that already publicly failed completely. The point is to attract the dumbest possible idiots so the scammers won’t have to waste time with people who aren’t going to give them money.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crowdfunded Game Update!

We Happy Few has been refused classification by Australia's ratings board, effectively banning the sale of the game in the country. This is awkward because....well, there are Australian people who backed the game!

However, they're actually handling it well, even though they're kinda unsure of where to go next. They put out a blog post saying that they would try to work with the board and if they held their stance, they would work to give Australian backers a refund.

http://compulsiongames.com/en/news/177/statement-regarding-the-australian-classification-board-decision

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The hell is Australia's problem?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The General posted:

It's a white supremacist Settler nation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd think that the main problem is that We Happy Few is about drugs, which is a touchy subject with the ACB.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The General posted:

Believe me man, we're right there with you. It took us a super long to get an R18+ rating category on games, and then they still refuse to classify games for really weird and arbitrary poo poo.

The ACB is just an all around dumb as a sack of hammers organisation full of double standards, but consider themselves Orwellian style Thought Police.

By the same justification they're using for We Happy Few, promotion of drug use, games like GTAV should be refused classification.
Back in the day Left 4 Dead 2 got Refused Classifaction, so we got a super censored version... except that Left 4 Dead 1 was perfectly A-OK with them and literally the exact same loving thing.

Aussies are massive consumers of media, and if we can't get our hands on them via reasonable means we just pirate the poo poo out of everything. Streaming/gaming services have slowly been getting better here, but we're not quite there yet. It's frustrating, but what are you going to do. (:filez:)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd think that the main problem is that We Happy Few is about drugs, which is a touchy subject with the ACB.

That makes sense, they also had to do a special censored version of Saint's Row 4 because one mission had Shaundi using drugs.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
They should call it Pee Crappy Poo because folks it's a real bad game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a really weird game because it has a good style and the scripted opening is neat but then the actual game starts and it loses just about everything that made it interesting.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
First Steam game I refunded. It was sold as something like "Bioshock but roguelike! A narrative heavy game with replayability." but then it turned out it was actually a bad early access survival game. Who knows what it is now though... There was some stink when they raised the price to $60 after they got a publisher and supposedly the game has been completely remade by now...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I totally get that there was/is an open world survival meter babysitting fad but I honestly have no clue why We Happy Few went in that direction. It had a really strong intro sequence that would have been great in a more narrative-focused game.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
A lovely survival game is cheap to make. A narrative-focused game with tons of custom animations, voice acting, and writing is expensive to make.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this! posted:

It's a really weird game because it has a good style and the scripted opening is neat but then the actual game starts and it loses just about everything that made it interesting.

Its not really all that weird or even unusual.

Its exactly what happens when devs (especially indies) think "hey lets use procgen rather than having to build content by hand!"

Procgen is cool but procgen done well is MORE work than hand built levels, not less.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I don't think spooky masks and ironic slow haunting versions of nursery rhymes are interesting or unique enough to really be worth saving in the first place, especially when it's getting in the way of the actually interesting 60s Mod aesthetic parts.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Infinitum posted:

The ACB is just an all around dumb as a sack of hammers organisation full of double standards, but consider themselves Orwellian style Thought Police.
Fallout 3 got into issues because of the use of morphine that got renamed to Med-X.

The lamest was Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, where a moral panic towards encouraging graffiti got that game banned.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WebDog posted:

Fallout 3 got into issues because of the use of morphine that got renamed to Med-X.

The lamest was Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, where a moral panic towards encouraging graffiti got that game banned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

But was the game made by a team comprised of various cultures and religions?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

WebDog posted:

That's fine though cuz that game fuckin' sucked

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I’m still pissed about the PS4 version of Shadow Warrior 2 not even being submitted for classification.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
ACB don't like Drugs with Names but are 100% perfectly ok with Item Name: 'Generic Drug'/They're 'Vitamins' Not Drugs :wink:. All of the Max Payne games got through without a second look.
Then you get stuff like Syndicate (The 2012 one with cool powers but lovely story FPS one) getting banned over... violence? :shrug: But The Darkness 2 is cool I guess sure whatever.
But it's still mostly really weird and arbitrary poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australia's government and public boards have a really weird puritan streak that the Australian public really couldn't give the slightest poo poo about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australia's government and public boards have a really weird puritan streak that the Australian public really couldn't give the slightest poo poo about.

Last I checked Australians are literally required to vote, and they take that oppurtunity to re-elect all those guys. Clearly a majority is keeping those in power instead of dumping them as an embarrassmemt the way a lot of other countries have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fishmech posted:

Last I checked Australians are literally required to vote, and they take that oppurtunity to re-elect all those guys. Clearly a majority is keeping those in power instead of dumping them as an embarrassmemt the way a lot of other countries have.

Most of the people behind censorship boards and whatever aren't elected in the slightest. In the few cases they are and attention is drawn to them, they don't last long.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I totally get that there was/is an open world survival meter babysitting fad but I honestly have no clue why We Happy Few went in that direction. It had a really strong intro sequence that would have been great in a more narrative-focused game.
When I saw the trailer for We Happy Few I thought it looked really interesting, then I kind of forgot about it until I saw these posts. Guess I didn't miss much then.

e: Another game that looked interesting but kind of failed in execution was American McGee's Alice. The story and cinematics are excellent, but the gameplay is pretty bland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Australia thinks that it is offensive for a woman to have visible labia minora.

It’s hosed up.

fishmech posted:

There is a slap-on-the-wrist fine for abstaining. That’s all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Atari VCS indidgogo has gone live:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc#/

It's getting backers at a surprising pace. I think it still qualifies as an awful kickstarter though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dunno why anyone bothers kickstarting videogames when they already gave us the OUYA

what ever happened to that anyhow

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Dunno why anyone bothers kickstarting videogames when they already gave us the OUYA

It took the gaming world by storm and as a result Sony and Microsoft announced they were cancelling the PS4 and Xbox One because they couldn't compete with the amazing Ouya.

It definitely didn't crash and burn pretty much as expected because nothing worked as designed despite how there were diehard fanboys for it to the very end.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/966842631/little-elfcutting-wrapping-paper-made-easy-and-fun/

A patent pending device that is already available as a 3d printable model...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2895732

Edit: Can you guess if it’s been sucessfully funded?

Rapulum_Dei has a new favorite as of 20:44 on May 30, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

In 2015 Razer bought out the company and discontinued the hardware, while keeping the store around. It was still getting new titles til att least December last year, mostly ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker/comments can't see the updates but it doesn't look like the DRM tortilla maker has shipped yet.