Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LGD posted:

"What are you?" is basically awkward phrasing that's trying to get at "where are you/is your family from?"/"what is your ethnicity/nationality/cultural background" but can come across as highly offputting because it carries a connotation that those distinctions are essential characteristics/describe different categories of things (even if it's not meant that way)

basically just think about how you can actually answer the question- the literal answer is "a human" but you'd get weird looks if you gave that reply because it's not actually what's being asked, while other answers convey an invalid level of distinction/essentiality (i.e. "I'm a white" or "I'm a black")

Asking where someone is from is a very normal and cordial question when you are getting to know someone. They are free to answer it however they wish, a 2nd generation japanese american could equally say Japan, or whatever city/state they grew up in.

It only get's awkward when someone follows it up with "no where are you really from," which is idiotic. If you want to know their ethnicity or ancestry, just ask them don't try to use some kind of weird dog-whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LGD posted:

"What are you?" is basically awkward phrasing that's trying to get at "where are you/is your family from?"/"what is your ethnicity/nationality/cultural background" but can come across as highly offputting because it carries a connotation that those distinctions are essential characteristics/describe different categories of things (even if it's not meant that way)

basically just think about how you can actually answer the question- the literal answer is "a human" but you'd get weird looks if you gave that reply because it's not actually what's being asked, while other answers convey an invalid level of distinction/essentiality (i.e. "I'm a white" or "I'm a black")

oh i see, i thought it was in the "what d&d class are you" kind of way. yeah, what are you in the "what is your heritage" context is really really... ugh

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

oh i see, i thought it was in the "what d&d class are you" kind of way. yeah, what are you in the "what is your heritage" context is really really... ugh

yeah it's not a very clear post without his follow-up because the D&D context makes it seem super-reasonable

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Business Gorillas posted:

As a jew I'm putting all of you on notice that none of you are allowed to play dwarves in any way, shape, or form :hai:

dwarves are a norse invention, nice try pal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah vikings invented dwarfism everybody knows that

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
True fact dwarfism didn't exist until Erik the Tall was confronted by Rorik The Very Tall and they had a shin kicking contest. When Erik's legs were kicked off of his body he became the first dwarf. :eng101:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

:trumppop:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Peanut President posted:

dwarves are a norse invention, nice try pal

i only ascribe to the tolkien universe, where dwarves have very (((strong))) influences

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Aiding and abetting Tolkien's cultural appropriation.

That's a paddlin'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently part of Tolkein's original intent of LotR was to create a version of Ring of the Nibelung that wouldn't be associated with the Nazis who were huge Wagner fans.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently part of Tolkein's original intent of LotR was to create a version of Ring of the Nibelung that wouldn't be associated with the Nazis who were huge Wagner fans.

Woke fantasy novels

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Woke fantasy novels

tolkien minorities

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Now the ongoing meltdown over anti-monarchists is a different story.

Wait is being opposed to the idea of hereditary power somehow controversial?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Oh NOW you're against the idea of hereditary power? I wonder why!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I'm eagerly awaiting someone to beat up Elon Musk like the whiny nerd he is. It's gotta happen

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

with the recent NFL stuff, can we talk about how the NBA is selling itself as the #woke league, despite a good 3/4ths of the league having no shot at winning anything (and many of those teams actively tanking because the league has embraced Silicon Valley-speak and metrics even more than baseball has)?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Woke fantasy novels

it ties in, dumbly enough.

half of Tolkien's expressed motivation was that he felt the English didn't have a culture, and so he was going to write them one

the cultural hegemon never thinks they have a culture, which ties in pretty neatly to why you see all the dumb alt-right poo poo. people desperately reaching for a cultural identity because they don't have a culture, they're just -normal-

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Troy Queef posted:

with the recent NFL stuff, can we talk about how the NBA is selling itself as the #woke league, despite a good 3/4ths of the league having no shot at winning anything (and many of those teams actively tanking because the league has embraced Silicon Valley-speak and metrics even more than baseball has)?

No, it's forbidden sorry dude

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ze Pollack posted:

half of Tolkien's expressed motivation was that he felt the English didn't have a culture, and so he was going to write them one

the cultural hegemon never thinks they have a culture, which ties in pretty neatly to why you see all the dumb alt-right poo poo. people desperately reaching for a cultural identity because they don't have a culture, they're just -normal-

Being normal is the most important thing possible, but it also makes you sad that hipster identities are looking down on you for being normal

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
grass, greener, etc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
English culture is trash garbage so once again Tolkien was right

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Woke Videogame

an actual dog has issued a correction as of 20:40 on May 24, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what’s the slur they use for androids

droibois

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

an actual dog posted:

The Woke Videogame

Meanwhile androids are whipped with electric whips, and one of them who looks suspiciously like a director self-insert looks directly into the camera and says "I just want to be free."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just watch the "best" ending on Youtube, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MV0P1hxZY

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Low Desert Punk posted:

dungeons and dragons is a great red flag for knowing who not to talk to

I played D&D once and I found it pretty terrible as a roleplaying system. It's just a very complicated combat/loot system and I'd rather play HeroQuest

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Robots as slavery is so loving hack, that most of the new robot sci-fi has been avoiding that chestnut (Westworld included, which raises points of commodification of human life rather than an allegory for minority oppression*).
*read: milking real world suffering to bring levity to your story that teaches no one anything new and is only meant to impress morons

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 20:51 on May 24, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

English culture is trash garbage so once again Tolkien was right

i mean, no argument here, but the poor isolated nerd was under the impression that it flat-out did not exist as opposed to existing and being a garbage fire of pedophilia, alcoholism, and worshipping inbred germans

useless trivia: the entire nation of Gondor is a shot at the Scots. there's a line when Our Heroes first meet Faramir, and he explains no, I'm not the prince, I'm just the steward's kid. "in lesser kingdoms, a Steward might take the throne after a few generations; in Gondor not ten times that number would suffice." wave hello, House Stuart of Scotland, origin High Steward #7 saying "yeah we are not going to sit around waiting for the House of Bruce to come back, I'm the first king of House Steward, raise hands all those who have a problem with this, this will expedite traitor hand-removal."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

an actual dog posted:

The Woke Videogame

god, the original deus ex did this whole thing so much better with the mech augs

welcome to the future, nerds. you sacrificed everything to become superhuman. it's been five years. you are now being phased out for the new model.

what a shame

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmfao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
god david cage is trash

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how the gently caress is david cage still making poo poo. dont these games sell like rear end

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

how the gently caress is david cage still making poo poo. dont these games sell like rear end

no, they sell perfectly fine because quality is less important than a big advertising budget

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

The Kalevala worked for Finland.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

uh I think you'll find it is gnomes that are the Jewish stereotype in d&d . maybe gnomes are Sephardic and dwarves are Ashkenazi?

All non-human D&D races represent different facets of Judaism.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/LeanCuisine/status/999310999810437121

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I didn't watch that

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ze Pollack posted:

well he wasn't wrong. industrialization, urbanization and the world wars destroyed the last vestiges of english folk culture, right down to their ability to cook

the only culture the english could be said to possess in his day were the affectations of their upper classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Troy Queef posted:

What's unwoke about metrics and tanking? Seems woke-neutral to me