Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inkspot posted:

If Mordo's return isn't set to Veteran of the Psychic Wars, don't bother bringing him back.

This.

Plus the lack of ANY Hawkwind in the Guardians movies? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rosalind posted:

Yeah that would have made little sense. Surely the best time for Hela to kill Odin then would have been when Loki abandoned him on Earth and not when his two powerful sons are with him. The idea that Odin was the only thing keeping her imprisoned makes sense.

Also not really part of this discussion but I think Cate Blanchett did a great job as Hela and I just wanted to highlight that. You can just pause the movie at any moment she's on the screen and she's just making these amazing faces of pure disgust and loathing. I love it.

She did do great, as did Goldblum, which is why I wish they were both in more of it, or were both given their own movies instead of having to split villain duties here.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Thor Ragnarok treated the previous installments with a lot of disrespect and I fault it for that. However, it is the best of the Thor movies otherwise.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thor Ragnarok treated the previous installments with a lot of disrespect and I fault it for that. However, it is the best of the Thor movies otherwise.

Whereas, having seen the previous installments, I can't blame it for that at all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Also, what's up with everyone openly admitting they're Gods now? I thought Thor 1 & 2 had them pretty clearly not doing that, with Odin even saying they weren't Gods, and were born, lived, and died just like humans. They were just an alien race with super advanced tech that looked like magic. In Ragnarok, they make it very clear they're Gods. Many, many, many times.

In a post-Doctor Strange world, are they just all in on magic being a thing, just deal with it? I don't necessarily mind, it was just a bit jarring.

All that fame from earth got to thier heads so now they do think they are actually gods.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/WBHomeEnt/status/997934071991828480
https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/997935221176721408

:shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I must be the only person here who didn't think that Thor: Ragnarok nor Spiderman: Homecoming were all that great. They didn't suck, but they didn't live up to the hype for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re on CineD so no, you are not the only one here who did not like an MCU movie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
We only like good movies around here :clint:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blood Boils posted:

We only like good movies around here :clint:

False, I also love trashy movies like Raiders of Atlantis.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What's really shocking would be someone actually saying what makes those movies good, and not offer some banal variation of "likable characters" or claim that they're funny.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I must be the only person here who didn't think that Thor: Ragnarok nor Spiderman: Homecoming were all that great. They didn't suck, but they didn't live up to the hype for me.

How high were your hype levels for these movies though? None of the current crop of superhero movies are "all that great" in the same way that a legitimately great movie is, it's all relative.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ragnarok was very entertaining, put a smile on my face, made my kids happy, and left me with pleasant memories of watching it.

Thus, good poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are you trying to say that Raiders of Atlantis is not good?

How dare

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've started enjoying movies a whole lot more since I started ignoring all pre release hype, trailers and reviews.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

eyebeem posted:

Ragnarok was very entertaining, put a smile on my face, made my kids happy, and left me with pleasant memories of watching it.

Thus, good poo poo.

This kind of praise makes it clear that the movie itself is disposable. It's the half-remembered experience of watching it that matters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Double false, trashy movies are good!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This kind of praise makes it clear that the movie itself is disposable. It's the half-remembered experience of watching it that matters.

much like your posting

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It’s literally a piece of entertainment designed to be experienced over the course of a couple of hours.

The half remembered experience of watching it is second only to the experience of watching it itself.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

eyebeem posted:

It’s literally a piece of entertainment designed to be experienced over the course of a couple of hours.

The half remembered experience of watching it is second only to the experience of watching it itself.
Every movie needs to have an immediate and lasting impact that changes the course of your life.

They can't just be for "entertainment," that's for rubes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blood Boils posted:

They're better than that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

You’re on CineD so no, you are not the only one here who did not like an MCU movie

You seem to be complaining an awful lot about what the mean folk at CineD think

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

much like your posting

Lamps' posting is definitely memorable at the least, otherwise he/she wouldn't cause half as much outrage.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Every movie needs to have an immediate and lasting impact that changes the course of your life.

They can't just be for "entertainment," that's for rubes.

All movies (or any art really) should be approached with that goal, even if only a few accomplish it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blood Boils posted:

All movies (or any art really) should be approached with that goal, even if only a few accomplish it.

Boy am I glad this isn’t the case.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

Are you trying to say that Raiders of Atlantis is not good?

How dare

Blood Boils posted:

Finally, peace in our times.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Blood Boils posted:

Lamps' posting is definitely memorable at the least, otherwise he/she wouldn't cause half as much outrage.

The Holocaust, Tommy Wiseau's The Room, and Donald Trump are all memorable but only one of them is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McCloud posted:

You seem to be complaining an awful lot about what the mean folk at CineD think

You know what, I guess I do. Oh well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on topic of BOC/Hawkwind poo poo for Dr. Strange: definitely put someone weird a la Ragnarok in charge of future Dr. Strange movies. The character and his whole universe are ripe for incredibly batshit productions, get somebody like Luc Besson in on this.

Sometimes I wonder about "what if you put hardcore directors in charge of MCU poo poo" even if there's 0% chance of it. Wingard's Captain America (which technically already exists). Gaspar Noe's Dr. Strange. George Miller's Hulk.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I also only just got round to watching Ragnarok (still haven't watched Homecoming). It was pretty good, but I was surprised given the particular hype about it that it wasn't really a comedy. There were a few solid jokes and a few real clunkers, but mostly it was a little light-hearted with not much snark about it, which was refreshing compared to the last few Marvel movies I watched. Things like the Valkyrie being drunk in her introduction were fine characterisation but not laugh-out-loud funny in the way it felt like they were trying to be. What We Do In The Shadows is exactly that funny, so it felt like someone's sticky fingers had got in the edit.

The action, too, I found it hard to shake that thing from a few pages ago about action scenes in Hollywood films effectively being directed by VFX studios, especially in the opening scenes with Surtur.

I did like it though, just for being earnest in its characterisation, occasionally charming if not outright funny, and not having any sequences of dull garbage once Dr Strange wasn't in it anymore.

Making Loki look like Tommy Wiseau is excellent character design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also Workshop of the Telescope for the Sanctum Santorum.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When friends ask me why I like Zack Snyder, I say that he's the closest thing to Jodorowsky directing a megabudget summer blockbuster.

And, in conclusion, Tarsem Singh should have been tapped for a Justice League movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

When friends ask me why I like Zack Snyder, I say that he's the closest thing to Jodorowsky directing a megabudget summer blockbuster.

so what you're saying is you have a lot of ex-friends

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, my friends and I are, like, adult humans.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WE COULD'VE HAD A GEORGE MILLER JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE.

I'll never let that go.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That's ok, now he has all the time in the world to make more Mad Max movies :unsmith:

George Miller and Zack Snyder, now THAT would have been a power duo for directing, not...what Whedon did

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aces High posted:

That's ok, now he has all the time in the world to make more Mad Max movies :unsmith:

George Miller and Zack Snyder, now THAT would have been a power duo for directing, not...what Whedon did

No need to tack Snyder onto that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One thing I really liked about Infinity War was the great amount of care and light touches that went into the editing and directing to make it feel like a cohesive part of an actual world.

I was never a Whedon fan, but I never really hated him either. I'm probably in the 1% of people who have only seen Whedon's work in Cabin in the Woods and Avengers.

But, compared to the job the Russo Brothers did, it really highlights how much directing and editing make a difference. Whedon's was serviceable and workmanlike. It never really distracted you from the movie, but it never elevated the movie either. It was just there.

The Russos' on the other hand did an incredible job. I really liked the motiff they did where every scene had a style/cue that looked like it was lifted from one of the original movies and whenever two characters who had never interacted before were on-screen, there was a remixed/mashup of their audio cues and themes. Plus, lots of nice little scenes and moments showing that time has passed since the other movies and that these characters aren't frozen in stasis between each movie.

Some examples off the top of my head:

- All of the solo Guardians scenes opening with a title card, but not when they were with other people.

- When Thor is at the forge with Peter Dinklage, they play a modified version of the Infinity War theme with electronic music from Ragnarok.

- Dutch angles in scenes where Thor is struggling/in pain.

- In the NYC fight with Strange and Iron Man, there are music cues when Iron Man enters the scenes that modify the background music to make the noise his ARC reactors make. When Strange is on screen, those same cues become chimes.

- Gamora, who didn't see the point in singing in Guardians 1 and 2, mouthing along to the music in her intro scene.

- The Wakanda theme that kicks in about 2 seconds after Cap's "I know a place." line, but before the cut to actually show Wakanda. When Cap gets off the Jet, there is a trumpet added to the background of the Wakanda theme that sounds like it's from Cap's theme.

- The music when Hulk lands in NYC is a remix of the music from a scene when Hulk flies through a building in NYC in Avengers 1.

- One of the music cues when Thanos gets the Soul Stone is just Thano's theme slowed way down and played out of order with different instruments to sound sadder and disorienting.

- The different Gems in the Infinity Gauntlet blink when Thanos is using specific powers (including combos, where Space + Power light up when he's lifting huge objects) and he uses the Soul gem to find the real Doctor Strange after Strange summons a hundred illusions of himself.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 22, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I adore Fury Road, but George Miller started making storyboards for it in 1997. Nobody was going to come onto Justice League to rewrite and reshoot an effects-heavy blockbuster into a different story and tone starting six months before a hard release date and have it be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Haven't seen Infinity War yet, thanks for the spoilers