Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

ill send it in a dm.

(also thanks for the support y'all. im excited because i get to work on cool stuff and also might end up on the c++ iso committee as a member through this new employer and that would own pretty hard)

Oh also, have you communicated with the chairs of Trans and Friends at all? They have specific contacts in ER and HR that can escalate stuff more appropriately. Even if you're leaving, those fuckers need to get burned. If you pm I can give specific names to contact, or you can find the trans and friends mailing list somewhere in directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

(also thanks for the support y'all. im excited because i get to work on cool stuff and also might end up on the c++ iso committee as a member through this new employer and that would own pretty hard)

participating in an iso language committee is definitely something to be experienced

preferably at most once

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rjmccall posted:

participating in an iso language committee is definitely something to be experienced

preferably at most once

before or after participating in a jsr expert group?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I used a Java and a maven this weekend. Java is a good language and maven is a good package manager.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

rjmccall posted:

preferably at most once

Let's just say never and leave it at that

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Malcolm XML posted:

hi hello have you considered writing this down and suing the gently caress out of apple for discrimination?

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
always love it when someone who aint faced structrual discrimination is like

hey what if the system was fair and the meritocracy was real

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'll take making myself unemployable for $500 alex

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

tef posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Make yourself self employed

Is there a difference

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

make yourself a serial entrepreneur

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

self-employment compounds the problem because then you have to handle discrimination from each individual customer

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

Is there a difference
In my case, the inevitable sexual harassment lawsuit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

self-employment compounds the problem because then you have to handle discrimination from each individual customer

Depends on your connections and personality imho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Depends on your connections and personality imho

Not when you're a queer. Especially as a trans person, no amount of networking is going to overcome systemic and personal biases and bigotry.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

jit bull transpile posted:

Oh also, have you communicated with the chairs of Trans and Friends at all? They have specific contacts in ER and HR that can escalate stuff more appropriately. Even if you're leaving, those fuckers need to get burned. If you pm I can give specific names to contact, or you can find the trans and friends mailing list somewhere in directory.

I don't have access to email at the moment and the day I quit I won't have access either, since i'll be turning my hardware in. i'll pm you though. I just want this over with.

Not when you're a queer. Especially as a trans person, no amount of networking is going to overcome systemic and personal biases and bigotry.

in my case i did do self employment before i came out, back in 2012, but i decided to stop and enter the workforce after my client was kidnapped, dragged out to the mojave desert, tortured, mutilated, and left for dead.

don't write point of sale systems for weed dispensaries. just dont.

EDIT: I should note he did survive and all body parts were successfully reattached

Slurps Mad Rips fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 22, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

I don't have access to email at the moment and the day I quit I won't have access either, since i'll be turning my hardware in. i'll pm you though. I just want this over with.

in my case i did do self employment before i came out, back in 2012, but i decided to stop and enter the workforce after my client was kidnapped, dragged out to the mojave desert, tortured, mutilated, and left for dead.

pretty sure that everybody knows that i spent the worst year of my life November 2016 - August 2017 in this industry and i can fully vet and back up this rumination. the industry is hosed and wildcat and full of backstabbers and you don't even loving know

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Good point. You cannot rely on the general population to not be xenophobic wankers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Miley Cyrus ran a weed dispensary?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

jesus loving christ

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

EDIT: I should note he did survive and all body parts were successfully reattached

phew

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

how? are they a lego person?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

have I considered taking on arguably the largest and richest tech corporation and taking them to court for discrimination when I’ve been gaslit for the very events that I stated while having had previous mental health issues that landed me in a psych ward and nearly drove me to suicide twice? yes I have.

i don’t have the energy or mental strength for a years drawn out legal fight where Apple would probably go to great lengths to drain me of money, have my personal computers confiscated for evidence, and just be dicks all around.

get thee to an employment lawyer. apple is rich true but that just means they are a juicy target.

given what you've said you would pretty easily win a case and more than likely apple would settle to avoid the extremely bad PR. dragging an employee through court is like the last thing these companies like to do since it lets you use discovery to dig for evidence and also allows you to cross examine the assholes

but I understand if you don't want to dredge up bad memories.

it won't hurt to get to a consultation on this fwiw.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

tef posted:

always love it when someone who aint faced structrual discrimination is like

hey what if the system was fair and the meritocracy was real

tef posted:

sorry dog it doesn't always get to the courts or tribunal in your case and is usually settled. If you have your ex employer blacklisting you they would do it without you suing them.

your "everything is terrible" depression shtick is one thing but literally talking to an employment lawyer is always worth it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

have I considered taking on arguably the largest and richest tech corporation and taking them to court for discrimination when I’ve been gaslit for the very events that I stated while having had previous mental health issues that landed me in a psych ward and nearly drove me to suicide twice? yes I have.

i don’t have the energy or mental strength for a years drawn out legal fight where Apple would probably go to great lengths to drain me of money, have my personal computers confiscated for evidence, and just be dicks all around.

i’m sorry you had to go through this and i don’t think you have a moral responsibility to ruin yourself professionally, financially and maybe psychologically by pursuing a legal case that likely won’t achieve anything.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i’m sorry you had to go through this and i don’t think you have a moral responsibility to ruin yourself professionally, financially and maybe psychologically by pursuing a legal case that likely won’t achieve anything.

agreed. but neither of us are a lawyer and in this case you should get legal advice.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

In plang news I have discovered a python 2 code base written after 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

presumably new things are written in 2 to run on the google cloud stuff every day

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Writing new things in py2 is unacceptable practice in 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

way better practice than writing new things in py3 at least

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qhat posted:

Writing new things in py2 is unacceptable practice in 2018

What if it's an actively developed one from 2016

(actively meaning I'm allowed to really only do the minimum to fix bugs anymore and only those which get reported, because, hey, startups)

Had to move two libraries into older versions already. The company's far too skint to let me spend time rewriting it for Python 3 apparently

Yes I am and always have been the only full-time dev and this is our primary customer-facing platform

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Malcolm XML posted:

sorry dog it doesn't always get to the courts or tribunal in your case and is usually settled. If you have your ex employer blacklisting you they would do it without you suing them.

your "everything is terrible" depression shtick is one thing but literally talking to an employment lawyer is always worth it.

the only time companies settle in these cases is when the press gets involved; in which case your career is over

i have a pending action against one of the big tech companies for constructive dismissal/harassment that has been in litigation since 2012. my representation is free or i would have given up six years ago

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Private Speech posted:

What if it's an actively developed one from 2016

(actively meaning I'm allowed to really only do the minimum to fix bugs anymore and only those which get reported, because, hey, startups)

Had to move two libraries into older versions already. The company's far too skint to let me spend time rewriting it for Python 3 apparently

Yes I am and always have been the only full-time dev and this is our primary customer-facing platform

Anything in python2 should be considered legacy software and active support of that software should be considered legacy support.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

qhat posted:

Anything in python should be considered legacy software and active support of that software should be considered legacy support.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hey guys we broke Python
Fix the problem we caused in your codebase at great cost and for no benefit to you
What? you refuse? how dare you! We're going to break your code even harder out of spite!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Anything in python should be considered legacy software and active support of that software should be considered legacy support.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Hey guys we broke Python
Fix the problem we caused in your codebase at great cost and for no benefit to you
What? you refuse? how dare you! We're going to break your code even harder out of spite!
God forbid that they make a few changes that break compatibility every 10 years to fix some design mistakes while continuing to maintain the previous major version.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Python 3 itself isn't so much a problem. It would have been fine if Python 3 was its own separate language, since it is not a superset of Python 2.

There's even a bunch of __future__ stuff that, with a little care, lets you write libraries which are simultaneously valid Python 2 and Python 3 programs, if that is what you are inclined towards.

What is absolutely a huge problem is that the Python Software Foundation deliberately sabotaged the existing Python 2 language for entirely masturbatory reasons. "Oh well we don't have enough manpower to support both 2 and 3 at the same time" then loving get more manpower or don't loving sabotage python 2 you pieces of poo poo

Dropbox was stupid enough to use some version of Guido's shitlang in production and, as businesses do, actually had to care about its performance in practical settings, so they decided to do something about that, and one of the devs involved was even nice enough to make a presentation about some of the work he was doing. Whereupon Guido got all up in his face about it right in the middle of his presentation

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/754163/17dc332b923151c3/

quote:

Some of what Shapiro presented did not sit well with Guido van Rossum, who loudly objected to Shapiro's tone, which was condescending, he said. Van Rossum thought that Shapiro did not really mean to be condescending, but that was how he came across and it was not appreciated. The presentation made it sound like Shapiro and his colleagues were the first to think about these issues and to recognize the inefficiencies, but that is not the case. Shapiro was momentarily flustered by the outburst and its vehemence, but got back on track fairly quickly.

the absolute loving nerve of this guy.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 22, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
does guido not realize that the reason this guy thinks they are the first people to think of this is because every language runtime since 2004 has had these optimizations, and so if you are a plang guy, you come in going "oh, this'll be easy, they just need to add this"

my favorite thing is how "the code is meant to be readable", as if you somehow can't have code implementing basic method dispatch caches that is also readable.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

God forbid that they make a few changes that break compatibility every 10 years to fix some design mistakes while continuing to maintain the previous major version.

This but unironically.

Release a tool for people to use for serious work or do some public masturbation exercise. Either or. Pick one. Do not loving break poo poo that people rely on to do their job; that is the tool's only purpose, not to be some platonically ideal anime waifu for you to cum over. If you release it as one and then suddenly change it to be the other then drat right people are going to be angry at you, responsible people with jobs to do don't get to pull this poo poo without consequences.

It's not even a question of people not being entitled to dictate the terms of your work; some consortium of Python users got together with the aim of preserving Python 2 and continuing to maintain it, and PSF actively fought against them and threatened to sue them for trademark infringement and engaged in all sorts of other odious behavior.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

It's not even a question of people not being entitled to dictate the terms of your work; some consortium of Python users got together with the aim of preserving Python 2 and continuing to maintain it, and PSF actively fought against them and threatened to sue them for trademark infringement and engaged in all sorts of other odious behavior.
Are you talking about the fork originally called "Python 2.8" which was an extremely misleading name? It's pretty reasonable to ask that they change the name if they are going to fork the language, IMO.